Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to World Bee Day!

In 2014, the Slovenian Beekeepers' Association came up with the idea for World Bee Day. A resolution for the day was proposed to the United Nations by Mag. Dejan Židan, Project Manager of the World Bee Day Project and Deputy Prime Minister of the Republic of Slovenia. On December 20, 2017, the UN General Assembly adopted the resolution. All UN countries adopted it unanimously, and 115 countries signed on as co-sponsors. The day was designated "to raise awareness of the importance of pollinators, the threats they face and their contribution to sustainable development." Put another way, according to the UN, the day's objectives are to bring to the attention of those in power that protecting bees is important, to remind us that we rely on bees and other pollinators, to protect bees and other pollinators in order to help solve problems related to the global food supply and the elimination of hunger and to stop the further loss of biodiversity and degradation of ecosystems.

SU News

Kiyan Anthony talks potential visits after summer | Zagsblog (zagsblog.com; Parent)

Kiyan Anthony
, son of NBA legend Carmelo Anthony, will look to take visits after the summer with Power 5 schools in pursuit.

The 6-foot-5 junior guard out of Team Melo and Long Island Lutheran (NY.) has averaged 23.7 points through three games at EYBL Session 3 in Indianapolis, mainly in front of his father’s alma mater Syracuse.

The Orange have long had an offer out for Anthony and upped the pursuit this week as head coach Adrian Autry attended all three games with two assistants by his side.

“With the head coach, he’s definitely showing a lot of love,” he said post-game. “Their whole coaching staff is listening to every game. That really shows their interest in me and what I can do on the court, not just because of my dad. They really invested in what I can do on the court.”

“I really like Syracuse,” he concluded. “My bond with them is really with the assistant coach, he’s shown a lot of love. He’s became a friend, a mentor to me.”

He also noted current Syracuse commit Elijah Moore has been in contact with him, as the two are both from New York City.

“We talk all the time,” Anthony said. “He tells me he’s excited to go there, the atmosphere is good, and the college campus is good. I’m looking forward to seeing him play and possibly teaming up with him.”

Anthony will take visits after the summer, saying he wants to see Syracuse, Florida State and Arizona State while taking trips to Indiana, Tennessee, and Auburn, should they eventually offer.

He’ll look to narrow the schools after the fourth EYBL Session (May 29th) and commit by early December, or even November, he says.

Anthony broke down some options:

Florida State: “It’s definitely growing with coach [Kevin] Nickleberry. I feel like I’d take a second visit to them but I’m just interested to see who Florida State gets as their players.”

Indiana: “That [Mike Woodson] is like my Godfather. He trained me a lot when I was younger and showed me the path to make it to the highest level. Now that he’s coaching at Indiana and I have the opportunity to play with him, that’s a blessing.”

Auburn: “I’ve been talking to Auburn a lot since recently the live period. If they were to offer me, I’d definitely check that school out.”

Arizona State: “They recently offered me last week. They’ve been on me heavily, and I really like Arizona State. Even though they’ve been down the past few years, I feel like they’re on the come up.”

Tennessee: “The assistant coach reaches out to me. I like watching them in the tournament, honestly, and their run and making it to the Sweet 16. I like how they play; they are big guards and fast-paced, so that’s why I liked Tennessee.”

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

On3 Recruiting Analyst Joe Tipton recently gave Syracuse Basketball about a 90% chance to land 2025 Consensus Four-Star Recruit Kiyan Anthony - the son of Carmelo Anthony. The Orange are also in the lead for four-stars Tyler Jackson and Matt Gilhool, and Adrian Autry still has a shot for Sadiq White. Plus, Miles Kelly, Cameron Christie, and Cedric Coward could be elite transfer portal fits.

Could Colgate Transfer Guard Braeden Smith Be a Fit for Syracuse Basketball? (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

2024 Patriot League Player of the Year Braeden Smith is in the transfer portal. The 6'0" point guard averaged 13, 6, 6 with Colgate last season. Could Syracuse Basketball go after him?On this edition of Segment of the Week on Locked On Syracuse, Jackson Holzer tells you why Smith could be a solid addition for Syracuse.

Syracuse basketball 5-star recruits vie for spots on a USA Basketball national team (itlh; Adler)

Two Syracuse basketball five-star recruiting targets will compete for spots on the 2024 USA Basketball U18 national team.

In a recent press release, USA Basketball announced that 30 high school prospects across the 2024, 2025 and 2026 classes are expected to participate at an upcoming training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Per the announcement, the training camp will begin on Thursday, May 23, with the 12-member USA Basketball U18 national team being announced before the squad departs for the 2024 FIBA U18 AmeriCup, which is slated for June 3 to June 9 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

High school players attending the upcoming trials were selected by the USA Basketball junior national team committee.

A pair of Syracuse basketball five-star recruits is eyeing the USA Basketball national team.

Among the 30 expected participants at this upcoming training camp are several 2024 and 2025 prospects who have held offers from the Orange coaching staff, including Patrick Ngongba II, Nikola Bundalo, Jerry Easter II and Malachi Moreno.

However, the two main ‘Cuse targets at this juncture who have made the cut for this training camp are 2025 five-star forward Sadiq White Jr. from North Carolina and 2026 five-star guard/small forward Alex Constanza from Florida.

Dan Murphy "Orange Nation" 5-16-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)
ESPN Staff writer Dan Murphy joins Paulie Scibilia and Steve Infanti to explain the deal the NCAA and its schools voting on the antitrust lawsuit, the state of NIL in college athletics, and more.

Other

Burger King completes $1 billion purchase of Syracuse’s Carrols, its biggest franchisee in U.S. (PS; $; Moriarty)

Burger King’s corporate parent, Restaurant Brands International, has completed its purchase of Carrols Restaurant Group, the Syracuse company that is the fast food chain’s biggest franchisee in the U.S.

Toronto-based RBI paid $1 billion for Carrols on Thursday following a vote by Carrols shareholders on Tuesday to approve the sale, plans for which were first announced in January.

Carrols is one of the largest restaurant franchisees in North America. It is the largest Burger King franchisee in the U.S., operating 1,023 Burger King restaurants in 23 states, as well as 59 Popeyes restaurants in six states.

The company, which started out in the 1960s operating a chain of burger restaurants under the name Carrols, has been a Burger King franchisee since 1976 and a Popeyes franchisee since 2019. It employs 173 people at its headquarters on James Street.

Carrols will now operate as a subsidiary of RBI.

New York State has agreed to give RBI a $750,000 grant to assist the company with renovating Carrols’ headquarters in Syracuse. The grant is conditioned on the company retaining at least 173 jobs at the headquarters.

The Burger King brand is the second largest fast food hamburger chain in the world, behind only McDonald’s. There are 19,000 Burger Kings in more than 120 countries and territories, nearly all of them operated by independent franchisees.

Syracuse offers free semiconductor course for researchers, startups and small businesses (PS; $; Racino)

Syracuse University is hosting a free course focused on the semiconductor industry for researchers, startups and small businesses, with applications for the program closing on Wednesday.

The U.S. National Science Foundation Innovation Corps is a seven-week training program that prepares scientists and engineers for commercializing their products, and SU is hosting a virtual version from June 17 through July 17.

Applicants should have some type of early-stage technology innovation to be considered.

This is the first time that a semiconductor-focused course is being offered through the NSF I-Corps program, said course co-leader Linda Dickerson-Hartsock, who is also the strategic initiatives adviser for SU Libraries and founding director of the Blackstone LaunchPad.

It comes as the region – and SU – ramps up for the arrival of Micron Technology, which plans to invest $100 billion into building four semiconductor manufacturing plants in Clay over the next 20 years.

Based on the applicant pool, the NSF I-Corps team hopes to select roughly ten teams, which can be composed of one to three people. After completing the course, those teams will have the opportunity in July to attend SEMICON West, a microelectronics conference in San Francisco, and can receive up to $5,000 in travel reimbursement.

“The goal of the program is to help participants better understand and validate product-market fit,” Hartsock said.

Additionally, teams “will be to meet industry leaders like Micron and others at SEMICON West, and to become better positioned for federal funding and private investment.”

Hartsock is co-leading the course with Jeff Fuchsberg, director of the Syracuse Center for Advanced Systems and Engineering. Both led the Syracuse Tech Garden prior to joining SU.

Relatedly, SU announced on Thursday a $20 million investment to launch the SU Center for Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing.

Funded partly with a $10 million grant from Onondaga County, the new center will be housed within SU’s Center for Science and Technology and aims to position the school and region “as a global leader in research and education on the intelligent manufacturing of semiconductors,” according to university.