Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
source.gif

Welcome to International Hamburger Day!

International Hamburger Day celebrates hamburgers! Traditionally, a hamburger consists of a patty of ground beef that has been pan-fried, barbecued, or flame broiled, and it is served in a bun. Condiments such as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and relish are often included, as well as toppings such as lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, pickles, and cheese. Besides the hamburger made of ground beef, there are many variations of the burger, such as the turkey burger, veggie burger, and bison burger. Burgers are commonly served at fast food restaurants and diners, and even at high-end restaurants.

There are many people who claim to have invented the burger. Some sources say that Louis Lassen did it, at Louis' Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut, on July 28, 1900. No matter who came up with the hamburger, it was created sometime around the turn of the nineteenth century, and its popularity was boosted at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. Some popular early restaurants that served a burger were White Castle starting in 1921, Kewpee Hamburgers starting in 1923, Big Boy beginning in 1936, and McDonald's beginning in 1940. Although the hamburger was created in the United States, its name is taken from the city of Hamburg, Germany.

SU News

Eddie Lampkin Joins Syracuse Basketball (youtube; podcast; No Destination)

When it came to choosing Syracuse in the transfer portal, Eddie Lampkin breaks down what factored into his decision
Syracuse Basketball: Kiyan Anthony goes off in front of Melo, as 4-stars crush EYBL (itlh; Adler)
Amid another AAU session over the holiday weekend, Syracuse basketball priority recruit Kiyan Anthony continues to prove blazing hot, while other Orange targets have put up some monster performances of their own.

This weekend, and running through Monday afternoon, Nike's EYBL circuit is conducting its fourth spring session, this time in Kansas City, Mo.

Numerous 'Cuse recruiting targets in the 2025 and 2026 classes are suiting up in Kansas City, and some of their outputs have been truly remarkable.

While the EYBL's Web site doesn't have box scores for every game, and some box scores are incomplete, I'm going to review below various stellar performances by Syracuse basketball recruits during games this past Friday and Saturday, with statistics also coming courtesy of thecircuithoops.com.

EYBL games were also to be played later on Sunday and into Monday as well, after I wrote this column, so I'll monitor how Orange targets fared in those contests, too.

Recapping some terrific play from Syracuse basketball 2025 and 2026 targets.
17U Division

Kiyan Anthony, four-star shooting guard in the 2025 class
Baltimore-based Team Melo
Offered by the Orange in November in 2022; took an official visit last October
Game 1: 12 points two rebounds and three assists
Game 2: 24 points and five rebounds
Game 3: 28 points and three rebounds

Tyler Jackson, four-star point guard in the 2025 class
Baltimore-based Team Melo
Offered by 'Cuse in April of 2023; took an official visit this past January
Game 1: 28 points and two assists
Game 2: 14 points, two rebounds and two assists
Game 3: 13 points, two rebounds and two assists

Syracuse Basketball: Analyst predictions in Orange's direction for 4-star Kiyan Anthony (itlh; Adler)
Syracuse basketball, lately, has started to pick up some analyst buzz on recruiting Web sites for 2025 four-star priority recruit Kiyan Anthony, the talented shooting guard from New York City.

Yes, please.

That being said, I'd caution that these sorts of prognostications often ring true but aren't always accurate. What's more, the 6-foot-5 Anthony has said in a couple of recent interviews that he is eyeing some upcoming visits later this summer, so things can certainly ebb and flow in his recruiting process.

When I wrote this article, I counted at least three analyst projections in the Orange's direction for Anthony between the On3 Web site and https://n./content/athletes/kiyan-anthony-285757?view=pv. One of those predictions is from On3 national reporter Joe Tipton, who is extremely well-connected in high school recruiting circles.

Syracuse basketball has some analyst buzz for 2025 four-star guard Kiyan Anthony.

In addition to those individual projections, at the time of this writing, On3's recruiting prediction machine had the 'Cuse heavily in the lead for Anthony, with Florida State at a distant second.

To date, the only schools that he has officially visited are Syracuse basketball and the Seminoles. Anthony took his official visit to the Hill in late October of last year. He was offered a scholarship by the Orange in November of 2022 and is a top recruiting target of the 'Cuse in the 2025 cycle.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5360188/2024/05/27/ncaa-transfers-portal-rankings-list/ (nytimes.com; $; Vecenie & Moore)

More than 1,000 men’s Division I basketball players have entered the transfer portal since it opened in March. That is a lot of ground for you to cover, so we’re here to point you in the direction of the names you most need to track. Welcome to The Athletic’s transfer portal rankings.

This is a living, breathing document that will continue to be updated as more players hit the portal and, frankly, as we further evaluate the players already in it. Every day, our conversations with college coaches begin with us asking each other if we’ve begun scouting a certain player. Often, we all admit we simply haven’t had the time yet. The sheer number of players in the portal has required around-the-clock work to get eyes on everybody that is necessary.

While our goal every year is to create the best, most comprehensive transfer portal scouting product, it takes time to evaluate each player. If you don’t see a player ranked that you believe should be, be patient. If that player is good enough, we’ll get to them eventually. As of the last weekend in April, we have ranked more than 160 players.

Our rules for when a player becomes eligible for the list are simple: Either the player himself must announce he is entering the portal, or his name must actually be in the portal. If you are curious about only the players who have committed or remain available, you can filter for either using one of the search sidebars. Once the player commits, we have and will add a separate section within the player’s write-up with thoughts on how they fit with their new school.

A few other rankings notes for these are worth bringing up.

First, positional scarcity is taken into account. The easiest player type to find in the portal, as you’ll see below, are scoring guards. The hardest types are versatile wings and bigs who can play on both ends of the court. That’s why, for the most part, you will see us rank wings and bigs more favorably.

Second, years remaining in school play a key role in our rankings. Players with potential to play more than one season for their new school are given a boost. The portal closes on Wednesday, May 1, except for players whose coaches left for another school. They will have another 30 days to enter the portal.

Here are The Athletic’s evolving 2024 transfer portal rankings.

Tucker DeVries

WING COMMITTED DRAKE WEST VIRGINIA MOUNTAINEERS

Johnell Davis

GUARD COMMITTED FLORIDA ATLANTIC ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS

Robbie Avila

CENTER COMMITTED INDIANA STATE SAINT LOUIS BILLIKENS

Keeping Up With The 315 5-24-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian begins the show discussing the latest news that Eddie Lampkin is staying at Syracuse and news that the Orange are looking into adding another guard from the portal. Then, he gives you the Man Who Sorta Knows gambling picks. Lastly, Brian chats with a frequent caller about the state of the SU men’s basketball roster and goes over some new football recruiting news.

About Syracuse Basketball's Latest Transfer Portal Target: Lucas Taylor (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Basketball went awhile without any news regarding its transfer portal activities... then it became known that Adrian Autry's staff has been targeting Four-Star Georgia State Guard Lucas Taylor.

Could Syracuse Basketball Be After One of the BEST SHOOTERS IN THE COUNTRY? - August Mahoney (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Basketball has recently been connected to Yale Four-Star Transfer Shooting Guard August Mahoney. Mahoney shot 45% from the 3-point line last season, and would fit perfectly in Adrian Autry's system. Perhaps JJ Starling moves to the point guard, and the Cuse could have two knockdown shooters in the starting lineup - Mahoney and Chris Bell.

Why Sadiq White Should Be Syracuse Basketball's Top Priority Recruit in 2025 (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Why Sadiq White Should Be Syracuse Basketball's Top Priority Recruit in 2025
New Bedford's Brycen Goodine will play his final season of college basketball at the University of Oklahoma.

Welcome to the SEC: How 'dad strength' helped Brycen Goodine level up his game (southcoasttoday.com; Los Lee)

The next stop of Brycen Goodine’s basketball journey is the University of Oklahoma.

Coming off an impressive year at Fairfield University in which Goodine finished as one of the nation’s top 3-point shooters, the New Bedford native announced that he will be heading out west to play for the Sooners in his final year of eligibility.

“When I was younger, I would always wonder where I’d end up playing,” said the 24-year-old Goodine, who has also had stints at Syracuse University and Providence College. “I never would have guessed it would be somewhere in the Midwest and in the SEC (Southeastern Conference), but I think that’s why I chose it. It’s something different and something I haven’t tried before. I’m excited about it.”

Oklahoma finished the 2023-24 season with an overall record of 20-12, but did not make the NCAA tournament as the first team to be left out on Selection Sunday.

“I get the sense from the coaching staff that they have a really big plan for our team,” Goodine said. “They want us to go to March Madness. That’s the culture I want to be a part of — on the biggest stage possible. It’s going to be fun.”

Goodine the Great:New Bedford native named Rhode Island Player of the Year

Goodine said he was amazed by what the University of Oklahoma had to offer.

“It’s definitely on the top side of the elite regarding the resources and the technology they have, their coaching staff and their mindset in their approach to athletics,” he said. “I’m curious to see how I do in that kind of environment.”

Goodine makes ultimate comeback

Getting to finish out his college career at Oklahoma is more meaningful for Goodine, who had to battle back from a torn meniscus he suffered when he first got to Fairfield in 2022.

“When I got hurt, I thought it was over,” he admitted. “As you can see, I’m still here so you never know what can happen.”

A determined Goodine spent his long offseason working on improving different aspects of his game.

“I was able to sit back and think about areas of my games that needed work,” he said. “Honestly I didn't even work on shooting. I said, ‘I know I can shoot. What other ways can I figure out how to score?’ I was focusing on ball handling, my footwork and my strength.”

Looking back: 2016 Bishop Stang boys basketball wreaks 'havoc' in run to first state title

Goodine started the first few games of his redshirt junior year at Fairfield, but missed an early portion of the season when his son, Koen, was born.

When Goodine returned, he went on a tear.

Former Syracuse basketball star advances to NBA Finals with Boston Celtics (PS; $; Herbert)

Oshae Brissett just became the first former Syracuse basketball player to advance to the NBA Finals since Dion Waiters.

Brissett’s Boston Celtics beat the Indiana Pacers, 105-102, on Monday night to complete a 4-0 sweep in the Eastern Conference Finals. Brissett did not play in the tight game, but has appeared in seven games during the postseason, including getting a game-high three steals and a monster dunk in Game 2 vs. Indiana.

The Celtics, who are chasing Boston’s 18th NBA championship, will next face either the Dallas Mavericks or the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Mavs, led by Luca Doncic and Kyrie Irving, are currently up, 3-0, in the Western Conference Finals.

Brissett, meanwhile, could make his own history.

Waiters, who was part of the Los Angeles Lakers’ roster when L.A. won the 2020 title, and Marty Byrnes are the only two former Syracuse basketball players to win an NBA championship. Byrnes played one minute in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals as his Lakers beat the Philadelphia 76ers, while Waiters did not see any playing time in the Finals.

So not only could Brissett become just the third Syracuse University alumnus to get an NBA championship ring as a player, he could also be the first to get playing time in the finals in 44 years. Brissett has appeared in half of Boston’s 14 playoff games, averaging 5.3 minutes, 1.3 points, and 1.6 rebounds.

New billboard proclaims Upstate NY village as the real birthplace of basketball (PS; Herbert)

A new billboard proclaims a village in Upstate New York is the real birthplace of basketball.

Dr. James Naismith has long been credited as inventing the game of basketball in December 1891 at a YMCA International Training School gym in Springfield, Massachusetts. Springfield is now the site of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame where hoops legends like Michael Jordan, Bill Russell and Kobe Bryant are enshrined.

But did the sport actually begin months earlier in Herkimer, N.Y., with a teenager named Lambert Will?

WKTV reports the Herkimer 9 Foundation, which aims to prove that Will invented the game on Feb. 7, 1891, in Herkimer, has put up a huge new billboard along Route 5S in Herkimer. The sign is facing the New York State Thruway, where thousands of drivers can see it.

“Welcome to Herkimer, the birthplace of basketball and the game’s inventor, Lambert Will,” says the billboard, which went up on Wednesday.

Herkimer 9 Foundation leader Scott Flansburg told WKTV last year that his research shows basketball first started in Herkimer, located about 70 miles east of Syracuse and 165 miles west of Springfield. Naismith allegedly received the 13 rules of basketball after Will submitted them to the Springfield YMCA for consideration for an indoors winter activity.

According to the book “Nais-Myth: Basketball’s Stolen Legacy,” Will was a 16-year-old volunteer director at a Herkimer YMCA when he started tossing cabbages into peach baskets in a root cellar and later at a local general store in 1890. Will tried making shots with a bushel on top of a step ladder, then put a basket on the wall of the Herkimer YMCA as he worked out the game’s rules.

Other

NIPOEZ66S5BKPIKZ4EQRYUT33U.jpg

A new cafe offering bubble tea, ramen and more is coming to DeWitt. (Elizabeth Doran|edoran@syracuse.com) Elizabeth Doran

Upstate bubble tea, ramen chain coming to suburban Syracuse shopping center (PS; $; Doran)

A new shop selling bubble tea ramen, Poke and rice bowls, smoothies and more is coming to Marshall’s Plaza in DeWitt.

This is the second Syracuse-area location for Tai Chi Bubble Tea, which opened a small cafe at 919 E. Genesee St. in Syracuse about a year ago.

Tai Chi Bubble Tea is opening in the former Supercuts space, Benderson Development officials said. Benderson owns and operates the plaza.

Supercuts’ lease at the plaza expired, said Eric Recoon, vice president of development and leasing for Benderson.
Recoon said an opening date has not been set.

Tai Chi Bubble Tea is a Rochester-based chain formed in 2015. It now has 40 locations, including several in the Rochester area.

YMCDXNO2LVFI7C7VHELZKYZTX4.JPG

People gather at a Paper Mill Island concert in Baldwinsville in 2018. The Post-Standard file photo The Post-Standard

Baldwinsville’s Paper Mill Island shifts away from big concerts to more community events (PS; $; Herbert)

A popular waterfront venue in Central New York is shifting away from big concerts with national acts to focus more on community events.

Paper Mill Island in Baldwinsville has long been known for hosting summer concerts, including a variety of artists like Blackberry Smoke, Ani DiFranco, Rusted Root, Bright Eyes, Bring Me the Horizon, Dickey Betts, The Wailers, Jonny Lang, All That Remains, Little River Band, and nationally touring tribute acts. The amphitheater also hosted 93Q’s Summer Jam, 95X Fest and performances by local artists.

This summer is notably quieter. That’s intentional, according to Baldwinsville Mayor Bruce Stebbins.

The Baldwinsville Center for the Arts has taken over booking events for the venue, Stebbins said. The non-profit organization came forth with a proposal to “try something a little different” that’s more community-based.

Jim Dell, president for the Baldwinsville Center for the Arts, said they’re booking a variety of events, including a Syracuse Shakespeare in the Park performance of “Hamlet” on June 12; a “Homebrewed Comedy” show featuring comedians Brian Enck, Cindy Arena, and Mike Peters on Aug. 10; and smaller concerts by local bands like The Dirty Doves on June 15 and Exit 11 with the Elden Elementary Orchestra on June 14. Admission is free to all of them.

The goal is to create events that are free or more affordable for the community, Dell said, unlike a for-profit promoter.