Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
658baf4571fdb25fc579dd29_national-mint-julep-day.jpeg

Welcome to National Mint Julep Day!

Made with mint leaves, bourbon, sugar, and water, and traditionally served with shaved ice in a silver or pewter cup, the mint julep is the classic Southern drink. The mint is usually slightly "bruised" to bring its flavors out in the drink, and spearmint is the mint of choice in the South. The mint julep has been the official drink of the Kentucky Derby since 1983, but it has been imbibed there since long before that. While mint juleps may have been drunk earlier this month during that event, we drink them again today on National Mint Julep Day!

The roots of the mint julep lie with julab, an Arabic drink, made with rose petals and water. In the Mediterranean region, mint leaves took the place of rose petals and the mint julep came to be. It was first mentioned in print in 1803, as a "dram of spirituous liquor that has mint in it, taken by Virigians in the morning." According to lore, Henry Clay introduced the drink to Washington, D.C., in 1850 at the Round Robin Bar in the Willard Hotel, where it caught on and spread around the city. The bar claims his recipe is the one they use today. Senators aren't the only politicians who've had a fondness for the drink. Presidents Andrew Jackson and Theodore Roosevelt both were known to drink it. Roosevelt mixed his mint juleps with rye whiskey instead of bourbon and enjoyed them with his cabinet members following tennis matches.

SU News

7U5PKULEIRHEDAYUZ2E53KYY2Y.jpg

Myers Park's Sadiq White Jr. dunks against Greeneville during an Arby's Classic basketball quarterfinal Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022, in Bristol, Tenn. (Emily Ball/Bristol Herald Courier via AP)AP

Top-ranked Class of 2025 forward Sadiq White commits to Syracuse men’s basketball (PS; Ditota)

Sadiq White, a coveted forward in the Class of 2025, announced Wednesday on a live On3recruits YouTube feed that he would play for Syracuse University.

White made his commitment surrounded by family. When he made that announcement public, he and family members unzipped hoodies to reveal SU’s block S.

White specifically called out SU coach Adrian Autry and his assistant Brenden Straughn during his brief comments about his college choice.

“Coach Red, Coach B ... the genuine love they have for me, they tell me the stuff I don’t want to hear about my game,” White said. “I feel like I’m going to go up there and get better as a player.”

White, who is 6-foot-8, is the first player in the 2025 class to commit to SU. Ranked 26th overall in his class, he is a cornerstone recruiting piece for the Orange. The Charlotte, North Carolina native is ranked No. 25 by 247Sports, No. 30 by ESPN and No. 31 by On3.

He selected Syracuse from a list that included LSU, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Georgetown and Southern California.

White has been a priority recruit for the Orange for more than a year. He attended Jim Boeheim Day in the JMA Wireless Dome last February 24. SU extended a scholarship offer to him in April 2023.

White played last season for Myers Park, a Charlotte high school powerhouse. He plays for Team United on Nike’s EYBL circuit. He was one of 18 finalists for USA Basketball’s U18 team, but was among the last cuts of camp.

In a May 25 post, Adam Finkelstein, who reports for 247.com, evaluated White when he made the top 18 cut and discussed his chances to make the 12-man roster:

Sadiq White commits to Syracuse Basketball: Live reaction with Brent Axe and Mike Waters (youtube; podcast; Axe & Waters)

Brent Axe and Mike Waters discuss the commitment of 5-star prospect Sadiq White to Syracuse Basketball. Brent and Mike also discuss other recruiting targets on SU’s radar and catch up on the latest SU basketball offseason news including Eddie Lampkin’s re-affirmed commitment to the Orange and what that means for the upcoming season.

Myers Park 4-star PF Sadiq White commits to Syracuse (highschoolot.com; Stevens)

Myers Park junior power forward Sadiq White announced his commitment to Syracuse on Wednesday evening.

White made his announcement during a live YouTube video with On3.com.

White stands at 6-foot-8 and 180 pounds. According to On3.com, he is a four-star player, the No. 1 player in North Carolina from the Class of 2025, and the No. 6 power forward in the country. The website also ranks him as the No. 26 overall player in the country from his class.

As a junior during the 2023-2024 season, White averaged 16.9 points and 5.6 rebounds per game, as well as 1.9 blocks, 1.5 assists, and 1.1 steals. He was one of three players on the Myers Park team to average double-figures.

This past season, White scored in double-figures in all but one game. His season high in points came against Berry Academy when he scored 26 points. White scored 20 or more points in nine games.

Myers Park finished the season with a 27-3 overall record and won the So Meck 4A Conference title with a 10-0 record. The Mustangs, the No. 1 seed in the West, were eliminated from the 4A state playoffs in the fourth round by eventual state champion North Mecklenburg.

A three-year varsity player for Myers Park, White was part of the 2023 state championship team for the Mustangs. He scored 15 points, pulled in seven rebounds, blocked four shots, and recorded two steals and two assists in the championship game.

White was named to the HighSchoolOT All-State Team in 2023 and 2024. This past season, he was named to the N.C. Basketball Coaches Association All-State Team, as well as the NCBCA All-District Team.

Syracuse lands important pledge from four-star F Sadiq White (yahoo.com; Cassidy)

Syracuse made a splash on Wednesday evening, when four-star forward Sadiq White announced his intention to sign with the Orange. The No. 25 prospect in the Rivals150, white chose Adrian Autry’s program over finalists Alabama, Georgetown, LSU, USC, Tennessee, and Texas. Below, Rivals national analyst Rob Cassidy examines what teh Orange is getting in White as well as what it means for the big picture.

WHAT SYRACUSE IS GETTING

White’s elite athleticism is what pops off the page when watching him on the floor, as it manifests itself in nearly every aspect of the game. It allows him to play even bigger than his impressive 6-foot-8 frame on the defensive end, the glass, and when it comes to playing above the rim on lobs and put-back dunks. The long, athletic southpaw handles the ball relatively well for his size and position as well. He has the physical gifts to be a game-changing multiple-positional defender as he develops from an effort and discipline standpoint on that end of the floor. He’s never going to give Syracuse much from a long-range shooting standpoint but he’s capable of making an occasional jumper from the mid-range. For now, While, who is averaging 11.6 PPG and 4.9 RPG in the Nike EYBL, isn’t near maxed out as a prospect. His production should match his potential as he adds polish and becomes a more motivated player when the ball isn’t in his hands.

WHAT IT MEANS FOR THE ORANGE

It’s obvious that landing white represents a massive moment for head coach Adrian Autry, who is coming off a 2024 cycle that saw him lock up five star forward DonnIe Freeman. There’s some recruiting momentum building inside the program, which is good news for a team that had struggled to land truly elite high school talent for a few years at the end of the Jim Boeheim. If Syracuse can add legacy guard Kiyan Anthony to this class down the road, the foundation for one of the ACC’s more impressive hauls will be laid.

Syracuse basketball 2025 class is off to blazing start as 5-star Sadiq White commits (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is on the board with its 2025 class, and the Orange has kicked things off in a big-time way.

On Wednesday night, five-star forward Sadiq White Jr. from Charlotte, N.C., a consensus top-35 national prospect in the rising senior class, verbally committed to the 'Cuse, as he revealed his college decision via On3 Recruits' YouTube page. A shout-out to On3 national reporter Joe Tipton for breaking this story.

First and foremost, a huge congratulations and welcome from Orange Nation to Sadiq. By extension, this is a monumental inaugural get in the 2025 cycle for head coach Adrian Autry and his staff.

The 6-foot-8 White, described by analysts as a stellar defender whose offensive game continues to grow, had a top seven that included Syracuse basketball, Alabama, Southern California, Georgetown, LSU, Tennessee, and Texas.

Syracuse basketball has scored a verbal pledge from 2025 five-star forward Sadiq White Jr.

Leading up to his commitment announcement, on Wednesday, at least two predictions were logged in the Orange's direction for White on .

White is a standout rising senior at the nationally ranked Myers Park High School in Charlotte. On the AAU circuit, this spring and summer, he is running with the 17U squad of the Charlotte-based Team United in Nike's EYBL league.

Most of the individual recruiting services currently have White as four stars, although at the time of this writing, the industry-generated 247Sports Composite placed him as five stars, No. 24 overall, No. 8 at power forward and No. 1 in North Carolina with the 2025 class.

Most recruiting Web sites deem White a top-10 forward and the No. 1 prospect coming out of North Carolina in his cycle.

The Orange staff has prioritized him in the 2025 class for a while now. He picked up a scholarship offer from the 'Cuse in late April of last year. Throughout his recruitment, White has amassed more than 20 high-major offers, per .

Syracuse Basketball: Adrian Autry's first two prep commits are 5 stars - exceptional (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball head coach Adrian Autry took over the program from the Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim in March of 2023.

Autry's first two verbal commits, at the high school level, since being handed the reins on the Hill are both five-star prospects, one in the 2024 class and one in the 2025 cycle.

Given that, in recent years since moving from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference during the 2013-14 campaign, the 'Cuse has somewhat been a tad "down" in various recruiting cycles, that Autry has reeled in two five-star commits is quite a positive development in my book.

Much as new Syracuse football head coach Fran Brown is recruiting at a high level in that sport, I believe that Autry and his top-flight staff are trending in a stellar direction as it pertains to recruiting in hoops.

Now, recruiting is one thing. Winning games is another. That being said, in his first season as the team's head coach, Autry guided the Orange to a 20-12 overall mark in 2023-24, the inaugural instance that the 'Cuse had sported at least 20 regular-season wins in a decade.

Adrian Autry and his assistants have Syracuse basketball recruiting at an impressive level.

A bit of context. The Orange had one 2023 commit at the high school level, three-star big man William Patterson from New York City. Yet Patterson, who is in the transfer portal, verbally committed to the 'Cuse in February of 2023, before Autry became head coach.

In the team's 2024 class, Syracuse basketball has two signees. They are four-star shooting guard Elijah Moore from New York City and five-star power forward Donnie Freeman from Washington, D.C.

Composite five-star Sadiq White commits to Syracuse basketball (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has landed one of the top forwards in the 2025 class as Sadiq White announced his decision Wednesday evening. White plays at Myers Park High in North Carolina and picked the Orange over his six other finalists Alabama, Georgetown, LSU, Tennessee, Texas and USC. He also held offers from Arkansas, Cincinnati, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Illinois, NC State, Ohio State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and others. This is Syracuse's first commitment in the 2025 cycle to date.

RELATED: SADIQ WHITE DISCUSSES SYRACUSE COMMITMENT

White is rated a four star prospect by 247Sports and a five star by the 247Sports Composite Ranking. The 247Sports stand alone rating has him ranked as the 25th best player overall, the sixth best power forward and the number one player in the state of North Carolina. The Composite slots White 24th overall, as the eighth best power forward and the top player in North Carolina. The Composite is the combination of the ratings of all of the major recruiting services.

At 6-8, 180 pounds, White is known as one of the best athletes in the country. Director of Scouting at 247Sports Adam Finkelstein broke down White's game after his performance at USA Basketball U18 tryouts.

RELATED: ANALYZING SADIQ WHITE'S FIT AT SYRACUSE

"White is an elite athlete, even among the best players in the country," Finkelstein wrote. "Not only is he super bouncy above the rim with multiple jumps, but he's covering the court and playing with a lot of sheer force. The lefty has also flashed an impressive right hand."

White visited Syracuse twice unofficially (he will now be expected to take an official visit this summer) and the coaching staff tracked him heavily during this AAU season to date. After his visit this past September, he raved about his experience.

5-star forward Sadiq White commits to Syracuse (DO; Wolf)

Five-star forward Sadiq White has committed to Syracuse, he told On3’s Joe Tipton on a livestream Wednesday. White is Adrian Autry’s first commit in the 2025 recruiting class, choosing the Orange over six other Power Five schools including LSU, Alabama, USC, Georgetown, Tennessee and Texas.

Hailing from Myers Park High School in Charlotte, North Carolina, White averaged 16.9 points per game, 5.6 rebounds per game and 1.9 blocks per game. He’s ranked as the No. 25 overall prospect by 247sports, and is the sixth-best power forward and No. 1 player coming out of North Carolina.

“White has a lot of physical tools. At 6-foot-7, he has long arms, broad shoulders and an explosively athletic frame,” On3’s National Basketball Recruiting Analyst Jamie Shaw said of White. “Out in transition is where White is at his best, filling the lanes and racing toward the rim.”

White excelled playing for Team United on the Nike EYBL AAU circuit, especially on the defensive end. He averaged 13.5 points per game, 7.8 rebounds per game and 2.3 blocks per game while earning Defensive MVP for Nike EYBL Session III.

SU initially offered White on January 10, 2024, according to 247sports. White has been to Syracuse on two unofficial visits, with the first one coming last fall and the second one on Feb. 24 when Syracuse men’s basketball hosted Notre Dame.

White joins Donnie Freeman as another five-star addition at Syracuse. Autry played a crucial role in recruiting Freeman — SU’s highest ranked recruit since DaJuan Coleman in 2012 — when he was an assistant along with four-star guard Elijah Moore.

“Coach (Autry), coach (Straughn), they never missed a game. The genuine love they have for me, they tell me the stuff I don’t want to hear about my game. I feel like I’m going to go up there and get better as a player,” White said of his commitment on the livestream.

Former Trinity star, Syracuse guard Chance Westry gives update on injury, Orange outlook (pennlive/.com; $; Sostek)

Chance Westry still hasn’t had a chance to show Syracuse fans what he can bring to the table.

But the one-time Trinity Shamrock star, progressing to full health following a knee injury last year, is ready to show the Orange faithful what he can do.

Catching up with PennLive earlier this month, Westry gave an update on how he was progressing, as he was fit enough to participate in The Road Takeover event in Linglestown, playing in 5-on-5 action against local stars like Malachi Palmer and James Moore.

“I’ve been doing a lot of rehab, trying to strengthen my quad,” Westry said. “Doing a lot of running to get that endurance, get in shape.”

“I’ve been healthy for a couple of months now. I’m basically just working.”

Westry has had knee issues throughout his college career, first at Auburn and then, after transferring to Syracuse last year, with the Orange, dealing with another lower body ailment suffered during an October practice that caused him to miss the entire 2023-2024 season.

In his only college action in 2022-2023, the 6-foot-6 guard averaged 2.5 points per game as a freshman at Auburn, playing in just 11 games.

Sticking with the Orange this year, though, he’s looking forward to getting a chance to showcase his healthy talents to a new fanbase as a redshirt sophomore.

“Every day [I’m ready to show who I am],” Westry said. “I’m staying consistent, believing in my work, staying focused, that’s the key.”

“So the fans, if they want to see the hard work, the progress that I’ve made, they can see that.”

As for the Syracuse team he’s returning to, he’s excited, as it’ll be a new group, like most teams, due to the portal, with players like Colorado’s Eddie Lampkin, Delaware’s Jyare Davis and Hofstra’s Jaquan Carlos coming in and Justin Taylor, Qadir Copeland, Peter Carey, Maliq Brown and Benny Williams heading out.

“I’m excited,” Westry said. “I’m excited for the year we’re gonna have. We’ve got a new group, we’ve all been in contact with each other, basically just standing together.”

“That’s what makes it fun.”

Lampkin says he is committed to SU basketball: ‘Nothing has changed’ (PS; $; Ditota)

Eddie Lampkin in a brief phone conversation and a text message this morning affirmed his commitment to Syracuse’s men’s basketball program

“Nothing changed since I committed,” he said.

There had been speculation about Lampkin’s status in the last couple weeks following rumors that he was reconsidering the Orange.

Lampkin originally posted on social media on April 2 that he was committed to Syracuse and spoke about that commitment with Syracuse.com. He is expected to be a crucial piece for the Orange in 2024-25, a big man with size (6-11, 265 pounds) and skill on a Syracuse team that could use both elements.

SU lost starting center Maliq Brown to Duke and the transfer portal. Brown, at 6-foot-8, was a power forward, size-wise, but Orange coaches liked his versatility at that position. Naheem McLeod, the 7-foot-4 transfer from Florida State, missed most of last season with foot trouble that led to surgery. Reserve SU centers Peter Carey (Siena) and Will Patterson (TBD) entered the transfer portal after the 2023-24 season.

Syracuse Basketball Must Focus on Lucas Taylor Because August Mahoney is (Probably) NOT an Option (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Basketball is probably out on August Mahoney due to Mahoney probably not getting another year of college eligibility. This coming after a judge ruled against St. John's players Chris Ledlum and Jordan Dingle. Now Adrian Autry's staff must focus its attention on landing Georgia State transfer Lucas Taylor. Plus, Five-Star '25 forward Sadiq White makes his decision TONIGHT.

Keeping Up With The 315 5-29-24 (ESPN; radio; the 315)

Brian gives you Portal Watch Day 73 ahead of a big high school recruiting announcement tonight. Then, he chats about the news that Le Moyne is making a big investment into Athletics. Lastly, Brian continues his 100 days till SU football countdown.

UH62ZQUUDJATNFFIDSS6FJBUMY.jpg

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - MARCH 16: Sportscaster and former NBA player Bill Walton (L) and sportscaster Dave Pasch pose before broadcasting the championship game of the Pac-12 basketball tournament between the Oregon Ducks and the Washington Huskies at T-Mobile Arena on March 16, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Ducks defeated the Huskies 68-48. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images) Getty Images

Axe: Walton’s broadcasting path was marked by SU alums: ‘Just know I love you’ (PS; $; Axe)

Bill Walton never played against Syracuse basketball while building a career as a two-time NCAA champion and three-time national player of the year at UCLA, but Syracuse undoubtedly shaped his second act as a unique broadcaster.

Walton, a Basketball Hall of Fame inductee and “true one of a kind” as NBA commissioner Adam Silver described him, died Monday at the age of 71 after a prolonged fight with cancer.

Walton’s second act as a fun-seeking broadcaster who would quote the Grateful Dead in one sentence and break down a pick-and-roll play in the next, was guided by some of Syracuse University’s standout play-by-play broadcasters.

‘Everybody else’s biggest nightmare’

“I lived most of my life by myself. But as soon as I got on the court I was fine,” Walton told The Oregonian newspaper for a story published in 2017. “But in life, being so self conscious, red hair, big nose, freckles and goofy, nerdy looking face and can’t talk at all. I was incredibly shy and never said a word. Then, when I was 28 I learned how to speak. It’s become my greatest accomplishment of my life and everybody else’s biggest nightmare.”

It was a chance encounter with Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Glickman at a social event when Walton was 28 that provided the game plan for Walton to overcome a debilitating stutter.

Glickman’s four-point plan for Walton was this: Demonstration, explanation, correction and repetition.

Glickman told Walton to slow his thoughts down, chew sugarless gum (to strengthen the muscles in his jaw), read out loud, identify sounds that cause the most trouble and seek out written material that contain those sounds. Repeat the the list over and over. Become a teacher, move forward and don’t be afraid to fail — confidence will come from repetition.

“The beginning of my whole new life was as simple as that,” Walton once told The Stuttering Foundation. “No gimmicks, tricks or shortcuts. Just the realization that with some help, guidance, and a lot of hard work that I too could do what seemed so easy, simple and natural to everyone else, yet seemed impossibly out of my reach and comprehension.”

‘You have to stop him’

Dave Pasch was in his early days calling the NBA on ESPN when he decided to let Walton be Walton.

The pair were calling a Chicago Bulls-Cleveland Cavaliers game when LeBron James took off his headband and threw it towards the scorer’s table.

“I just kind of let him go for 15-30 seconds,” Pasch told Mike Waters on the “Inside Syracuse Basketball” podcast as Walton repeatedly demanded a technical foul for the action.

Soon after that broadcast, Pasch got a call from Mike Tirico, Syracuse University broadcasting royalty, who had worked with Walton on ESPN’s NBA broadcasts.

“You have to stop him. That’s your job,” Tirico told Pasch, who had sought Tirico’s counsel on working with Walton. Tirico instructed Pasch to step in and re-direct the conversation when Walton went on one of his famous rants.

Bill Walton and his connection to the Syracuse Orange (TNIAAM; Wall)

Last year in Hawaii, the Syracuse Orange were unable to keep their unbeaten run in the Maui Invitational intact. On the call for the one Syracuse win in Honolulu was Hall of Famer Bill Walton.

It was a rare time when Syracuse fans could listen to the polarizing broadcaster call an Orange game and after Walton’s passing this week, it would be the last time Cuse fans could go on that strange trip.

As someone who has long appreciated the joy and absurdity of Bill Walton, I thought back to his appearance in Syracuse for the unveiling of the shot clock monument in Armory Square. During his visit to Syracuse which coincided with NCAA Tournament action, Walton appeared at Turning Stone and I was able to get a photo and autograph with him. Those items were later paired with this gift from a colleague who had gotten Walton to inscribe one of his famous shared John Wooden quotes.

Bill Walton credits former Syracuse broadcasting legend Marty Glickman with helping him to overcome his stuttering and launch his career. Some of you might curse Glickman for unleashing Walton on the broadcast media world, but if you’ve found yourself spending late nights watching “Conference of Champions” hoops in recent years you are probably thankful for the 1st Orange sportscasting legend.

Over his time calling NBA games, Walton has shared the microphone with Marv Albert, Bob Costas and Mike Tirico. Before he was giving lessons on the geography of Utah and Oregon, Walton was begging NBA stars to “Throw it Down Big Man”,

Other

ZBSOXHZ3YRDLZBXKI727CPD3KU.jpg

A close-up shot of National Grid's office in downtown Syracuse. (File photo)

Why National Grid is asking for such a big hike in electric and gas rates (PS; $; Knauss)

The last time National Grid asked state officials to raise its Upstate rates was just as the Covid pandemic was gaining steam in July 2020. The company and its regulators put a top priority on holding down the increase.

Now the utility is playing catchup.

In 2020 National Grid asked for a $142 million increase in annual electric and gas delivery revenues. This year, the utility is asking for $673 million.

If the Public Service Commission goes along, that would raise National Grid’s electric delivery revenues by 20% and its gas revenues by 28%. A typical household would pay $440 a year more for electricity and gas.

Catchup isn’t the only reason National Grid is asking for more money this time, said Phil DeCicco, the utility’s New York general counsel.

Inflation and supply-chain constraints have raised the cost of transformers, poles, cables and other equipment, he said. Significant portions of the aging electrical system – parts of which are a century old – need repair. Likewise, more than 100 miles of “leak-prone’' natural gas pipe needs to be replaced. To do that work and more, the company is looking to add about 800 employees to its 5,400-person work force.

On top of all that, the power grid requires significant new investments to make way for more electric vehicles, electric-heat buildings, and other elements of New York’s planned transition away from fossil fuels.

Top 20 best summer music festivals of 2024 you don’t want to miss (PS; Kemeny)

2024′s music festival season has officially begun and it’s time to start planning for an unforgettable summer of music, art and one-of-a-kind experiences. With dozens of big festivals to look forward to in the upcoming months, it can be hard narrow-down all the choices, but we’ve compiled the top 20 best summer music festivals you don’t want to miss. No matter which music genres you gravitate toward or where you reside in the country, there’s something for everyone to enjoy this summer.

Below, you can find everything you need to know about this year’s must-see music festivals, including dates, headliners and where to get the best deals on tickets from platforms like Vivid Seats, StubHub and SeatGeek. It’s important to note, ticket prices and availability are noted at the time of publishing and are subject to change.

Related: Summer concerts in Upstate NY: A huge list of shows for 2024 (tickets, info)

Roots Picnic

Beginning in 2012, the annual Roots Picnic music festival was created by Philadelphia hip-hop group The Roots and celebrates the city’s musical, artistic and cultural background by spotlighting local and big names in hip-hop, rap and R&B.

When: Saturday, June 1 - Sunday, June 2, 2024
Where: The Mann at Fairmount Park in Philadelphia, PA
Headliners: Jill Scott, Nas, Lil Wayne & The Roots, André 3000, Gunna
Tickets: One-day and two-day general admission tickets can be purchased through Vivid Seats, StubHub or SeatGeek.

Summer Jam

Summer Jam is an annual, one-day music festival hosted by New York-based radio station Hot 97FM and features New York and national acts in hip-hop and R&B.

When: Sunday, June 2, 2024
Where: The UBS Arena in Belmont Park, New York
Headliners: Sexyy Red, Doja Cat & Friends, French Montana, Davido and more
Tickets: Ticketmaster has limited standard admission seating available, but greater availability and deals are offered by Vivid Seats, StubHub or SeatGeek.

CMA Fest

CMA Fest is an annual, four-day country music festival in Nashville, TN, hosted by the Country Music Association (CMA). The festival features a lineup of country music’s biggest artists across ten stages, including the Nissan Stadium and the Ascend Amphitheater.

Two Upstate NY mountainside hotels named on list of best hotels in the world (PS; Hernandez)

Summer vacation season is almost here and two Upstate New York mountain inns have scaled new heights by being named among the world’s best hotels.

Travel + Leisure recently released their list of the 500 best hotels in the world, according to their readers. Readers were asked to rate hotels all over the world by their rooms and facilities, location, service, food and value.

Top scorer, Wylder Windham won the hearts of travelers and critics alike on the international list. The Catskill Mountain spot was also named the best hotel in New York state.

In the summer, this hotel, located along the Batavia Kill River, has activities for every season. During the summer months, guests can borrow bikes, go fly fishing, hike nearby peaks, swim in the heated pool or challenge friends in the pickleball courts.

Outdoor adventure in Windham doesn’t slow down in winter, with a vintage shuttle to the nearby ski slopes on Windham Mountain and relaxing with wood-fired saunas. It was also named the most romantic getaway in New York state.

Mirror Lake Inn in the heart of Lake Placid also offers peak experiences to their guests, nestled in the Adirondack Mountains.

Frequently ranked on lists of best lakeside hotels, it also recently claimed the title of one of America’s most “Christmassy” towns.

Each room has a beautiful view of the Adirondack High Peaks region surrounding them. With the summer season edging closer by the day, visitors can enjoy a heated outdoor pool and a private beach with complimentary boats.

Their popular European spa features a salt therapy room, indoor lap pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, and a new and expanded fitness center.

Travel + Leisure’s full list is available in the May 2024 issue.