Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
orangemens-day.png

Welcome to Orangemen's Day!

Also known as the Twelfth or the Glorious Twelfth, Orangemen's Day commemorates and celebrates the Battle of the Boyne, fought in 1690, and the Glorious Revolution of 1688, which took place when James II, a Roman Catholic, was deposed, and William of Orange, a Protestant, received his throne. Orangemen's Day primarily is celebrated by people with Protestant Irish or Scottish backgrounds. In some locations, it is observed on the Monday closest to July 12th.

The Battle of the Boyne was fought on July 1, 1690, outside of Drogheda, along the River Boyne, in what now is the Republic of Ireland. Prince William of Orange and James II of England and Ireland, who was also known as King James VII of Scotland, each raised an army of about 30,000 troops, and Prince William came out victorious in the battle. The battle remains a symbol of the sectarian struggles in Ireland between Protestants and Roman Catholics. Not long after it, the defeated Catholics formed underground societies in an attempt to restore the line of James. The Protestants countered by forming the Orange Order.

SU News

Freeman on playing for Bahamas in Olympic qualifier: ‘I had to grow up quick’ (PS; $; Waters)

Donnie Freeman, an incoming freshman at Syracuse University, played for the Bahamas in the recent FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Valencia, Spain.

The Bahamas came up one win shy of earning a berth in the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, falling to host Spain, 86-78, in the championship game on Sunday.

But Freeman’s introduction to international play came before he ever left the United States.

“For me, training camp in Houston was a shock,’’ Freeman said.

The Bahamas team gathered in Houston before leaving for Spain. It was there that Freeman got the chance to practice and work out with NBA veterans like Buddy Hield, Deandre Ayton and Eric Gordon.

“You’re playing against pros,’’ Freeman said. “I had to get used to the speed of the game and the physicality. Every time I’ve played, I’ve played with people my own age. I had to adapt and find my way in.

“It was an adjustment for sure.’’

Freeman was eligible to play for the Bahamas because he was born there. He moved to the Washington D.C. area with his family when he was 6 years old.

The Bahamas went into the Olympic Qualifying Tournament as the 57th ranked country in FIBA’s world rankings. Bahamas proceeded to beat No. 20 Finland, No. 15 Poland and No. 28 Lebanon to advance to Sunday’s championship game against 2nd-ranked Spain.

“For me, it was my first time playing against Europeans,’’ Freeman said. “In America, we do a lot of iso ball and ball screens. In Europe, they set a lot of off-ball screens and back-screens. They take their time and run the shot clock down. And they’re a lot older.’’

SU basketball GM on his role: 'My job is cutting out the fat’ (podcast) (PS; $; podcast; Waters)

Alex Kline had spent the last eight years as an NBA scouting, working first for the New Orleans Pelicans and for the last four years with the New York Knicks.

The NBA, he figured, was where he would continue his career.

A little over a week ago, Kline, a 2016 Syracuse University graduate, took the job as general manager of the Syracuse basketball program.

“I never thought I’d be back here,’’ Kline said in an appearance on the Inside Syracuse Basketball podcast. “I thought I’d be in the NBA forever.’’

The job appealed to Kline’s desire to be closer to the team. Rather than being alone while scouting high school and college players, he wanted to be more connected to the coaches and players.

“I wanted a new challenge,’’ Kline said in the interview with Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters. “I had done the scouting thing for so long in the NBA as far as the last eight years. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed being in the mix with every program and learning about every player. It was a complete crash course and master’s and doctorate in scouting and talent evaluation. I think what I was missing was being around the team. Because when you’re in scouting, people don’t always realize this, you’re on the road 150 days a year. You’re not really around the players. You’re not there for the big wins and the tough losses.

“Truth be told, the most fun I ever had in basketball, in the 15 years I’ve been in it, was when I was a high school basketball manager,’’ Kline continued. “I was around the team. I was around the guys. I was the waterboy. It was a little different, but there’s something special about being around the guys and having that camaraderie.’’

The general manager position is a newly-created post within the SU basketball office. Kline will work directly with SU head coach Adrian Autry and his staff on putting together a roster in college basketball’s new environment of athletes being paid through new Name, Image and Likeness rules and the transfer portal.

2025 NBA mock drafts are out and one Syracuse player keeps showing up as a first-round pick (PS; Axe)

Incoming Duke freshman Cooper Flagg may seemingly be locked in already as the No. 1 pick in the 2025 NBA Draft, but the hype is about to get real for an incoming Syracuse University men’s basketball freshman whose name keeps showing up in early projections for the next draft.

Donovan Freeman will arrive in Syracuse next week for summer workouts as the program’s highest-ranked prospect since Carmelo Anthony. He played in a pair of prestigious high school All-American games, one sponsored by McDonald’s and the other by Jordan Brand.

Freeman is ranked by ESPN as the top power forward prospect in the Class of 2024 and the No. 6 prospect overall.

Freeman just played for the Bahamas in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying tournament, who fell one game short of earning a trip to the 2024 Paris Olympics with an 86-78 loss to Spain in Valencia on Sunday.

I fell into a way-too-early 2025 NBA Mock Draft wormhole recently and while Flagg grabs all the headlines, Freeman is mentioned over and over again as a first-round pick in 2025. In many cases, he has been anointed with lottery-pick potential.

Here’s an early read on where some of the reputable mock drafts place Freeman with a mere 11 months to go until the 2025 NBA Draft.

deron-rippey.jpg

Sports Illustrated

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star Deron Rippey Jr. excited to grow his bond with SU coaches (itlh; Adler)

New York City product Deron Rippey Jr. is emerging as a priority recruit for Syracuse basketball coaches in the 2026 class.

The 6-foot-2 point guard, an exceptional young man with high character who shines on the court and in the classroom, is seeing his stock soar of late. In recent months, the five-star Rippey has played at an ultra-high level on the AAU circuit, at other showcases, and during a recent USA Basketball U17 national team training camp.

As a result, Rippey is witnessing his list of scholarship offers and interest explode, while he continues to ascend in the national rankings for his class.

The Orange staff offered the Brooklyn, N.Y., native in late August of 2023. This past February, on Jim Boeheim Day, Rippey went on an unofficial visit to the Hill, and he's a prospect to watch as it pertains to taking an official visit to the 'Cuse down the line.

Syracuse basketball faces steep competition for 2026 5-star PG Deron Rippey Jr.

Rippey, a standout rising junior at the Blair Academy in Blairstown, N.J., likely has a way to go in his recruiting process, but he's already tallied more than 20 offers. Big East Conference member Creighton is one of the latest schools to offer him.

30 Minutes in Orange Nation 7-11-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia assess the all-but-completed Syracuse men’s basketball non conference schedule, discuss potential changes to the MLB Home Run Derby with a caller, and bring Jordan in to give their thoughts on a multi-million dollar baseball card theft.

Biggest Syracuse Orange stories of 2024 and predicting what’s to come (podcast) (PS; $; Podcast; Axe)

Fran Brown shuffling the Syracuse football roster with a flurry of recruits and transfers.

The revolving door of transfers in and out of Syracuse men’s basketball.

Dyaisha Fair making women’s basketball history.

Syracuse men’s lacrosse appears to be back on track towards a Final Four.

Syracuse women’s lacrosse just can’t beat Boston College.

Those were just some of the more interesting Syracuse Orange sports headlines covered on the latest episode of Syracuse Sports, looking back on the biggest stories of the year so far.

Listen as Syracuse.com’s Brent Axe, Emily Leiker and Chris Carlson discuss their three most interesting stories of the year and make one prediction for the second half of 2024.

You can see the latest full episode of Syracuse sports in the YouTube clip above.

Syracuse Basketball: Why Eddie Lampkin Jr. is the most important team transfer for 2024-25 (bustingbrackets.com; Loose)

A number of years have passed since we could consider Syracuse as one of the top basketball programs in the country. The Orange were in a state of transition last season under new head coach Adrian Autry following nearly a half century under Jim Boeheim’s leadership. There was new talent and positive moments as Syracuse finished 5th in the ACC, though the Orange fell short of the Big Dance yet again.

Last year’s team was built on youth, as the roster lacked a senior and much of the rotation consisted of sophomores. Unfortunately not all of those talented players are back, as Judah Mintz is off to the NBA while Quadir Copeland and Maliq Brown both transferred. The Orange will get JJ Starling and Chris Bell back for their junior years and added a fair bit of talent in the offseason as well.

In addition to a few new freshman, Syracuse also added four names in the Transfer Portal in recent months. They added backcourt depth with Jaquan Carlos, a point guard from Hofstra, and Lucas Taylor out of Georgia State. Autry and company got quite the steal with former Delaware forward Jyare Davis and his great production last year as a junior, though we’re focusing on the fourth name today.

Eddie Lampkin is a 6’11 center originally from Texas who definitely fills a need for the Orange at the back end. He spent the first three seasons of his collegiate career at TCU before spending his redshirt junior year at Colorado last year. He took a step forward both in production and responsibility, averaging 10.6 points and 7.0 rebounds per game with the Buffaloes.

With rising talent in the backcourt and a few intriguing additions at forward, the Orange are now hoping that they can slide Lampkin into this lineup and see him become a major playmaker. While not known as a shot blocker, Lampkin is a strong interior scorer and efficient rebounder and he immediately becomes the best rebounder on this roster.

We’ll see Starling, Bell, and a few others continue to emerge as prominent scorers and shooters, meaning Syracuse won’t need Lampkin to do too much. That’s not to say he’s just a warm body thrown under the rim; his rebounding and interior skills should fit well in this system, especially on a roster that lacks size among their most experienced players.

Newly Named Residence Halls to Welcome Students in 2024-25 (syr.edu; DeMarchi)

As part of Syracuse University’s strategic housing plan and in response to student needs and feedback, two new residence halls will open their doors to students in the upcoming 2024-25 academic year. Orange Hall is the new name for the former Sheraton hotel, which is in the midst of its conversion that secures its history as a welcoming and vibrant space newly redesigned to support students. The building, which will contain the University’s sixth all-you-care-to-eat dining center, will house nearly 400 sophomore students beginning in Fall 2024.

Milton Hall is the former apartment complex known as The Marshall at 727 South Crouse Ave., a fully modernized space primarily home to second-year students, featuring in-room laundry and private bathrooms. The 287-bed building was renamed Milton Hall in acknowledgement of a transformational estate gift bequeathed to the University from Laura and Jack Milton. The Miltons graduated from Syracuse in 1951 and were longtime supporters of the University, fostering numerous educational opportunities, events and lectures, and contributing to the construction of several campus facilities, including the Life Sciences Complex.

The strategic housing plan, announced by Chancellor Kent Syverud this past spring, aligns with the goals and aspirations identified in the overarching Campus Framework. The plan also includes the construction of the University’s first new residence hall in 15 years, which will be located at 700 Ostrom Ave. at the corner of Comstock and Waverly avenues.

Syracuse Orange on Instagram: "Thank you, Rochester! See you in the Dome! "

Other

OV7XSUQO2BBHFFPLAZRTSBNGUM.jpg

Workmen lay the pipe in the 19-mile-long trench connecting Skaneateles Lake to the Woodland Reservoir. Onondaga Historical Association Courtesy of the Onondaga Historical Association

Cleaner Water, Better Beer: The history of Syracuse's municipal water supply (PS; Searing)

At approximately 3 p.m. on July 3, 1894, millions of gallons of pure Skaneateles Lake water poured into Syracuse’s main lines and reservoirs, ending a 19 ¾ mile trip that took four-and-a-half days to complete.

All of Syracuse was invited to the ceremony at the unfinished gate of Woodland Reservoir, on the magnificent hill near Burnet Park with a commanding view of the Salt City.

Former Mayor William Kirk, returned to the city to take part in the festivities and was given the honor of turning the wheel to let the water in under the celebration of a 100-gun salute ordered by Mayor Jacob Amos.

This victory of engineering, public financing, and sheer willpower was the culmination of more than a decade of survey’s, commissions, and prodding and it all started with an exploding population, fires, and beer.

For decades, the city of Syracuse pulled its water from Onondaga Creek, which, as one can imagine, led to myriad health problems.

In the late 1870’s, as the city’s population surged, John Greenway, the city’s millionaire brewer led the charge to improve Syracuse’s water source, proper water for a proper city. In 1882, his good friend, Thomas Ryan was elected Mayor. Ryan served two terms before leaving office to open his eponymous brewery.

Ryan was the first city Mayor to broach the subject of the city’s problematic water situation.

Several experts had declared the city’s water unfit for use in manufacture and for consumption. According to contemporary press accounts, many Syracusans had taken to using rain cisterns to collect water for home use.

In 1888, Mayor Kirk appointed a commission to look at options to provide the necessary amount clean and dependable water to a city with a population of 90,000, making it one of the 30 largest cities in America.

The commission looked at 11 possible sources, including the Salmon River, Lake Ontario, Oneida Lake, and Cazenovia Lake.

QPUC7A6JV5H57FIRRYF4YVIKPA.jpg

The annual Middle Eastern festival at St. Elias Orthodox Christian Church began Thursday afternoon and runs through Sunday. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Four days of food, dancing and more food begins at annual Middle Eastern festival (photos, video) (PS; photo gallery; Miller)

Whatever you do, don’t eat before hitting the St. Elias Orthodox Church Middle Eastern Festival. You’d be doing your stomach a huge disservice.

Hundreds of Central New Yorkers knew that going into the festival Thursday evening. They stood in line for gyros, shawarmas, falafel, exotic desserts and zalabye (crispy fried dough balls dipped in syrup).

The annual four-day festival at 4988 Onondaga Road features traditional dancing, contemporary Arabic music, food and drink. The free event runs 4-10 p.m. today (Friday), noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Tours of the church are available throughout the day. DJ Danny will be playing contemporary Arabic music and the traditional dance, dabkeh, will be performed at 6:30 Friday and Saturday and at 1 on Saturday and Sunday. Click here for a complete entertainment schedule and menu.