Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.webp

Welcome to National Cheesecake Day!

Cheesecakes are popular desserts at bakeries and restaurants around the world, especially so today, because it is National Cheesecake Day! Cheesecakes usually consist of a mix of cheese, sugar, and eggs over a thin crust, with a topping of sweet or salty items. The type of cheese that is used often depends on the location of where the cheesecake is made. Common cheeses used around the world include cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta, and quark. Toppings may vary by location as well. Cheesecakes are either baked or chilled by refrigeration. Although, baked cheesecakes are usually chilled too, after they are baked, in order to help set their filling.

One of the most popular cheesecakes in America is "Jewish cheesecake," which is often called "New York cheesecake," because it became popular in New York City restaurants and bakeries. It consists of smooth cream cheese, a crispy crust of graham cracker or cookie crumbs, and a topping of a variety of things such as nuts, pieces of fruit, fruit sauces, sour cream, and chocolate or caramel syrup. A lighter version of the cheesecake is called "French cheesecake," which is often topped with fruit glazed with jelly.

SU News

5KNVLMF3YFEJJDUUGZZPJ773OU.jpg

Syracuse Orange guard JJ Starling started the 2023-24 season in a horrible shooting slump, but bounced back through meditation. (Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com) dnett@syracuse.com

How meditation helped Starling find his shooting stroke: ‘It slowed the game down’ (PS; $; Waters)

JJ Starling started out the 2023-24 season in a horrible shooting funk.

After spending his freshman year at Notre Dame, the 6-foot-4 guard from Baldwinsville had returned home to play for the Syracuse Orange.

But his homecoming parade had stalled before it ever started.

In the Orange’s first nine games, the 6-foot-4 sophomore attempted 24 3-point shots and made only 3. That’s a .125 shooting percentage.

Like any athlete in a slump, Starling was beginning to think too much. Instead of shooting naturally, he worried about form. Was his elbow in? Were his hands placed on the ball correctly? How was his follow-through?

He was a struggling golfer on the driving range, running every bit of advice through his head while in the middle of his back swing.

“I was in my own head,’’ he said.

Then came the 10th game of the season. Syracuse’s annual game against arch-rival Georgetown in Washington D.C. on Dec. 9.

Starling made eight of his 14 field-goal attempts, including all three of his 3-point shots. He scored 21 points in the Orange’s 80-68 victory.

He had made as many 3-pointers in that game as he had in the first nine games of the season. What had happened?

“Honestly, I just stopped thinking,’’ Starling said. “That’s the simplest answer.’’

Simplest, maybe. But not the complete answer.

How had he stopped thinking? How had he finally shut off his brain and regain his natural, relaxed shooting form?

“I started meditating,’’ Starling said.

Starling began a routine that involved meditating every day and twice on game days.

In the morning, he would wake up, stretch and meditate. Then on a game day, he would make to carve out a few minutes before tip-off.

“I had clear schedule and ritual I’d do before games to get into the right state of mind,’’ Starling said during a recent interview after a workout session at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center. “Right before we’d go out to the court for the final time, I would play music and meditate and visualize me shooting and making reads and stuff like that. It allowed me to slow the game down.’’

Syracuse basketball 5-star commit and 5-star recruits are top Peach Jam performers (itlh; Adler)

Top national analysts and scouts are lauding a Syracuse basketball verbal commit and various recruiting targets for their play at the recently completed Peach Jam tournament on Nike's EYBL circuit.

From July 13 until July 21 in North Augusta, S.C., numerous high school prospects with recruiting ties to the Orange vied for the coveted Peach Jam championship in the main 17U division.

As I noted in another recent column, 'Cuse recruit Dante Allen played a key role as the Miami-based Nightrydas Elite won the 17U Peach Jam grand prize. Allen's victory came a year after Syracuse basketball incoming freshman and 2024 five-star power forward Donnie Freeman claimed a Peach Jam title in the 17U division with the Washington, D.C.-based Team Takeover.

In recent days, the experts at The Circuit doled out a range of awards of honors for their top performers at Peach Jam.

Let's look at which Syracuse basketball recruits were praised for their play at Peach Jam.

Dante Allen, 2025 four-star guard
Miami-based Nightrydas Elite
Offered a scholarship by the Orange in late April of this year
15.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game at Peach Jam
Named by The Circuit as breakout MVP, as well as to the All-Peach Jam second team and the All-Breakout squad

Syracuse men’s basketball: Orange to kick off 2024-25 season with exhibition versus Clarion (TNIAAM; Chiappone)
The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team officially locked in its exhibition opener for the 2024-25 season.

The Orange will take on the Clarion Golden Eagles at the JMA Wireless Dome, the program announced Friday. The exhibition matchup game will be played on Saturday, October 26 and will kick off the team’s second year under head coach Adrian Autry.

The tip-off time for the game remains to be determined.

Clarion, a Division II basketball program, last year finished 8-20 overall and 6-16 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

Clarion was 8-20 overall and 6-16 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference last winter. The Golden Eagles are coached by Damian Pitts, who approaches his seventh season at Clarion.

Last year, the Orange finished 2-0 in exhibition games with home wins against Daemen (81-68) and the College of St. Rose (86-61).

JUFOHPIQRJHTZKV54YONQ43BCU.jpg

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS - APRIL 09: Buddy Boeheim #27 of the Detroit Pistons Chicago Bulls at United Center on April 09, 2023 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Quinn Harris/Getty Images)Getty Images

Boeheim on his NBA trajectory: ‘I think I’m as close as I’ve ever been’ (PS; Ditota)
Buddy Boeheim did not see a Syracuse basketball game in person last season. It was the first time in his life, he said, that an entire SU season passed without him in attendance at a single game.

Boeheim, of course, left the area after four seasons at SU, where he emerged as one of the program’s most prolific scorers and shooters.

He spent the last two seasons with Detroit and/or its G League affiliate. About a month after the organization underwent a front office overhaul (former SU assistant coach Troy Weaver was out as general manager), the Pistons waived Boeheim from his two-way contract.

He surfaced in the Oklahoma City organization, where he signed an Exhibit 10 contract and played for the Thunder in the NBA Summer League.

Boeheim, 24, was in town last week when he and his older brother Jimmy held a three-day basketball camp at the Fayetteville YMCA.

We talked for a bit after Friday’s session. Here is that conversation:

Donna Ditota: Give me some perspective about your time in Detroit.

Buddy Boeheim:
Detroit was great. Obviously very thankful for that. To be in one spot for two years, as crazy as it sounds, it’s not easy to do at any level, G League or NBA. My first year I was able to get better as the year went along. I knew early on kind of similar to Syracuse that it was going to take some time, I wasn’t quite ready and that’s always humbling. It’s just like a reset. But having that feeling already was helpful for me. I got a lot better as the year went on and then had a really good summer. I think that’s where I took a turn – last summer – being in Detroit, working out with Cade, Isaiah, all the roster guys – that was big for me.

The Significance of Possibly Getting Kiyan Anthony to Syracuse Basketball | Syracuse Orange Podcast. (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse basketball 2025 priority recruit Kiyan Anthony recently put the Cuse in his final six list of schools along with: Auburn, Ohio St., USC, Florida St., and Rutgers. Anthony has told 247sports that he plans on visiting all of them before making a decision in November. If Adrian Autry can land the four-star guard, other recruits such as Tyler Jackson and Acaden Lewis may follow. The Cuse also got an official visit with Ryder Frost which appears to have gone well.Jackson Holzer tells you why landing Kiyan Anthony would be significant.
CJ Moore "The 315" 7-29-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)
College Basketball writer for The Athletic, CJ Moore, joins Brian Higgins to discuss his recent confidential article on tampering in the transfer portal and NIL era, his thoughts on Syracuse men’s basketball next year and more

Mike McAllister "Orange Nation" 7-29-24 (youtube; podcast; Orange Nation)

Syracuse on 247Sports publisher Mike McAllister joins Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia to discuss this past weekend of Syracuse football visits, react to to Kiyan Anthony's Top 6, and more
https://cuse.com/news/2024/7/29/mens-basketball-syracuse-paired-with-maryland-for-gotham-classic (cuse.com)
Syracuse will face Maryland in the 2024 Gotham Classic at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Saturday, Dec. 21.
Tickets will go on-sale to the public tomorrow, Tuesday, July 30, at Noon EST and can be purchased on Ticketmaster.com.

THE SYRACUSE-MARYLAND SERIES

• Maryland has a 5-4 advantage in the all-time series with Syracuse.
  • The Orange have won the last four straight pairings, after the Terrapins captured the first five contests.
  • The most recent encounter between the two clubs resulted in a 72-70 Syracuse victory in a contest at Maryland on Nov. 27, 2017.
THE ORANGE
Second-year head coach Adrian Autry has two starters back from last year's 20-win team. Guard JJ Starling (13.3 ppg.) and forward Chris Bell (12.0 ppg.), both juniors, were members of last season's first unit. Syracuse welcomes four transfers and two freshmen, including five-star forward Donnie Freeman from IMG Academy.

THE TERRAPINS
Kevin Willard returns for his third season with the Terrapins where he has posted a 38-30 (.559) record thus far. Julian Reese (13.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg) highlights the returners for Maryland. Belmont transfer Ja'Kobi Gillespie (17.2 ppg) is among the strong transfer class for the Terrapins. Willard also brings in 5-star freshman Derik Queen, his highest rated recruit at Maryland.
Other
After initial resistance, Marcellus takes big step toward arrival of Stewart’s Shops and gas station (PS; Doran)

Nojaim’s Brothers of Marcellus and Stewart’s Shops have finalized the sale of the long-time grocery store to the convenience store chain.

Richard J. Nojaim and Grocer LLC sold to Stewart’s Shops Corp. on July 16. The sale price was $1.7 million, according to Onondaga County real estate records.

And last week, the village of Marcellus approved site plans for the Stewart’s Shops on the Nojaim’s property.

“That was a big step forward,” said Marcellus Mayor Chad Clark.

Nojaim closed his store, a community staple for more than 40 years, in May.

That capped months of controversy in the village, where local leaders had initially stepped in and blocked the sale (and Nojaim’s retirement plans) by placing a six-month moratorium on land-use approvals in the village. That would have delayed any plans Nojaim had to sell to Stewart’s.

The decision ultimately drew criticism from many local residents and prompted the village to elect a new mayor, who ran as a write-in candidate.

Clark, the new mayor, said the site plan was approved last week, but that Stewart’s still has to get building permits and DEC approval for new gas pumps.

The Saratoga Springs-based chain has submitted plans to build a 4,300 square feet store with a slightly expanded grocery section and gas pumps. It would have three gas islands with a total of six pumps.

DXXNKH7GHBG5DJPUFJ4S3A5FWI.jpg

Clinton's Ditch Co-Operative Co. on Pardee Road in Cicero has been bottling Pepsi products since 1968. The company is planning a $41 million expansion that will create 15 jobs. It currently employs 299 people.Google Maps

Bottling company gets $3.9 million tax break for expansion in Cicero (PS; $; Moriarty)
The Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency has approved $3.9 million in tax breaks for the expansion of a beverage bottling company in Cicero.

The agency voted unanimously on Thursday to approve the tax breaks for Clinton’s Ditch Co-Operative Co. on Pardee Road.

The breaks consist of $3.3 million in sales taxes on construction materials, $445,466 in property taxes over 10 years and $229,213 in state mortgage recording tax.

The 100,000-square-foot expansion will retain the plant’s current 299 employees while creating 15 additional jobs, according to the company.

Without the expansion, the company might have to relocate to an associated facility in Massachusetts, the company said.

The addition will add warehouse space, create a new truck repair facility, and improve production line layout, resulting in greater production efficiency and capacity, according to the company.

Clinton’s Ditch began in 1967 as an independent bottler of Pepsi Cola and has grown into a high-volume producer of various types of carbonated soft drinks, seltzers, energy drinks and purified water. It has expanded three previous times, starting in 1970.

The latest expansion will be done in three phases, with completion scheduled for November 2026.