Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
sicilian-pepperoni-pizza-pizza.gif

Welcome to National Pepperoni Pizza Day!

Multiple surveys have shown pepperoni to be the favorite pizza topping of Americans, and over a third of the pizzas in the country are topped with it. So it comes as no surprise that there is a National Pepperoni Pizza Day.

Pepperoni takes its name from "peperoni"—with one "p"—an Italian name for a pepper. In Italy, what Americans call pepperoni is known as "salame piccante"—spicy salami. Pepperoni is a dried sausage made of a mixture of pork, beef, and spices, often including peppers. The name pepperoni began being used following World War I, primarily in Italian-American communities. At this time, pepperoni was primarily used as an appetizer, eaten on cured meat plates.

SU News

Syracuse’s ACC basketball schedules will be released next week (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse basketball fans who shape their winter schedules around the Orange should plan on breaking out their calendars next week.

The full ACC schedules for both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will be released Tuesday on the ACC Network.

The women’s schedule will be released at 7 p.m. The men’s schedule will be released at 8.

The first conference game for each team will be released one day earlier at 4 p.m. on the ACC Network.

This will be the first season for the conference with 18 teams.

The non-conference schedules for both the men’s team and the women’s team have been released. Times will be announced later.

Here’s what we know about the schedules for the two SU teams so far:

SU’s conference opponents in men’s basketball

Home/Away: Boston College, Pitt, Notre Dame

Home: Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest

Away: Cal, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, SMU, Stanford, Virginia Tech

SU’s non-conference schedule in men’s basketball

Oct. 26: Clarion (exhibition)
Oct. 30: Slippery Rock (exhibition)
Nov. 4: Le Moyne, home
Nov. 12: Colgate, home
Nov. 16: Youngstown State, home
Nov. 21: vs Texas in Legends Classic, Barclays Center, Brooklyn
Nov. 22: Texas Tech/St. Joseph’s in Legends Classic
Nov. 27: Cornell, home
Dec. 3: at Tennessee (ACC/SEC Challenge)
Dec. 10: Albany, home
Dec. 14: Georgetown, home

SU’s conference opponents in women’s basketball

Home/away: Boston College

Home: SMU, Pitt, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Virginia, Notre Dame

Away: Cal, Stanford, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Duke, Virginia Tech, Louisville

MBB: 2024-25 Schedule Release Next Tuesday (RX; HM)

MBB: 2024-25 Schedule Release Next Tuesday

From ESPN...

To share: ACC Network to Unveil 2024-25 ACC Women’s and Men’s Basketball Schedules During Nothing But Net Primetime Specials on Tuesday, Sept. 24
September 19, 2024

ACC Network to Unveil 2024-25 ACC Women’s and Men’s Basketball Schedules During Nothing But Net Primetime Specials on Tuesday, Sept. 24
ACC Women’s Basketball Schedule
Release at 7 p.m. ET, followed by Men’s Basketball Schedule Release at 8 p.m.

The 2024-25 ACC women’s and men’s basketball schedules will be unveiled during back-to-back one-hour Nothing But Net primetime specials on Tuesday, Sept. 24 on ACC Network. The specials will provide a first look at the ACC game dates, times and networks for the season, breaking down key rivalries and top matchups ahead of the ACC’s first season as an 18-team conference.

Justin Walters will host the women’s schedule release show at 7 p.m. ET, joined by analysts Kelly Gramlich and Muffet McGraw. The men’s schedule release follows at 8 p.m. with Taylor Tannebaum hosting alongside analysts Luke Hancock, Seth Greenberg and Randolph Childress.
The schedules of all 18 women’s and men’s ACC programs will be analyzed during the specials with the crews offering predictions on the teams and players to watch during the upcoming season.

Prior to Tuesday’s Nothing But Net schedule release shows, ACC PM with host Mark Packer will exclusively reveal the first conference game for each team on Monday, Sept. 23. ACC PM airs at 4 p.m. ET on ACC Network.

Six ACC women’s teams enter the 2024-25 season ranked in ESPN’s Way-Too-Early Women’s Basketball Top 25, including 2023-24 ACC Tournament champion Notre Dame (No. 4), Final Four participant NC State (No. 8), Duke (No. 11), Louisville (No. 12), North Carolina (No. 17) and Florida State (No. 18).

On the men’s side, two ACC teams are ranked in ESPN’s Way-Too-Early Men’s Basketball Top 25 – Duke, led by freshman sensation Cooper Flagg (No. 8) and North Carolina (No. 10), led by 2023-24 ACC Player of the Year RJ Davis.

The ACC enters the 2024-25 season looking to continue its remarkable league-wide success of both its women’s and men’s programs. The ACC is the only conference to have at least one women’s and men’s team reach the Final Four in each of the last three seasons, with seven men’s and women’s teams from six different schools achieving that feat.

evnoqdqwlvklye7cowsy.jpg

Jean Catuffe/Getty Images

Kiyan Anthony: Carmelo Not Pushing Syracuse 'Just Because His Name Is on the Gym' (BR; Kasabian)

Four-star shooting guard Kiyan Anthony, the son of ex-NBA star Carmelo Anthony, ranks 28th overall on 247Sports' composite list of the top class of 2025 high school men's basketball players. Anthony has 21 offers and four visits lined up, including one to Syracuse, where his father starred and won an NCAA championship in 2003.
There's certainly a natural inclination to connect Anthony to Syracuse given his father's legacy, which also includes his name on the practice facility. But Kiyan Anthony said that Carmelo hasn't pushed him toward Syracuse.
"[My father] never pushes me to go to Syracuse just because his name is on the gym," Anthony told ESPN's Myron Medcalf on Wednesday.

"He did so much at Syracuse. He knows that I'm my own person. I've just got to make my own decision at the end of the day.
"If it is Syracuse—I go there a lot and I practice, I work out there—if it is that, that's what it is. But he's never going to say, 'You got to go to Syracuse. You got to go there because I went there.' He's not going to make me follow in his footsteps unless I really want to."
Anthony certainly has interest elsewhere. He has visits set for USC, Florida State and Rutgers as well, per 247Sports. And his offers include Tennessee, Seton Hall, Michigan, Maryland, Indiana, Ohio State, Auburn and Arizona State.

MSN (MSN.com; Medcalf)

Kiyan Anthony knows better than most about his father's legacy at Syracuse, which is one of the finalists for the No. 36 prospect and four-star recruit in the 2025 ESPN 100 rankings.

Before a decorated NBA career, Carmelo Anthony led the Orange to the 2003 national championship as a freshman. He also donated a significant sum of money to the school's basketball facility, which now bears his name.

Despite those family ties, Kiyan Anthony said that his father and mother, La La Anthony, have not nudged him to pick Syracuse.

"[My father] never pushes me to go to Syracuse just because his name is on the gym," Anthony told ESPN on Wednesday ahead of the release of the second season of "The Evolu7ion" on YouTube with Overtime. "He did so much at Syracuse. He knows that I'm my own person. I've just got to make my own decision at the end of the day.

"If it is Syracuse -- I go there a lot and I practice, I work out there -- if it is that, that's what it is. But he's never going to say, 'You got to go to Syracuse. You got to go there because I went there.' He's not going to make me follow in his footsteps unless I really want to."

Anthony said he will choose from his list of finalists -- Syracuse, Auburn, USC, Florida State, Ohio State and Rutgers -- in the next two months and he expects to take another visit to Syracuse before his final decision.

At Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, New York, Anthony's career has been scrutinized because of family. His father is a likely Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee and his mother is an actress and celebrity with 15 million Instagram followers.

On his YouTube show, Anthony hopes to show what it's like to face the attention he's had since he was a child. But he also loves that his friends and teammates get a chance to share the spotlight with him.

Where Syracuse Basketball’s NIL Money is Coming From: Key Sources Explained – CollegeNetWorth.com (collegenetworth.com)

Syracuse University basketball has seen a significant boost in Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) opportunities for its athletes. Much of the NIL money for Syracuse Basketball comes from deals facilitated by an estimated $2 million NIL budget. This figure places the team in the middle of the ACC pack, helping them remain competitive in attracting top talent.

The players themselves are benefiting greatly from these opportunities. For instance, guards Judah Mintz and J.J. Starling have notable valuations, with Mintz valued at $96,000 and Starling at $117,000 according to On3 NIL valuations. Such figures highlight the substantial impact NIL has on individual athletes in college sports.

Syracuse’s involvement in high-profile events also contributes to its NIL revenue. Deals in the works for future games include participation in tournaments that offer millions in NIL payouts. These factors combined demonstrate how Syracuse is leveraging NIL to bolster its basketball program.

Syracuse University: Sources of NIL Funding for Syracuse Basketball

Syracuse University’s basketball program draws NIL funding from several key sources. These include NIL collectives and booster contributions, partnership deals and sponsorships, and athlete entrepreneurship and personal branding.

Syracuse University: NIL Collectives and Booster Contributions

NIL collectives and boosters play a critical role in funding Syracuse basketball. Orange United is a major collective, aiming for an NIL budget of $2 million to $2.5 million for the men’s team for the 2024-25 season. Boosters contribute significantly to this budget through fundraising and donations, enhancing the financial resources available to athletes. This helps Syracuse stay competitive within the ACC, providing opportunities similar to other top-tier programs.

Syracuse University: Partnership Deals and Sponsorships

Corporate sponsorships and partnership deals form another major funding source. These partnerships involve brands investing in Syracuse athletes’ NIL rights, creating mutual benefits. For example, big brands might sponsor athletes, paying for advertising on social media or other platforms. These deals have grown since the 2022 season, contributing significantly to the team’s overall NIL budget and financially supporting the athletes.

Syracuse University: Athlete Entrepreneurship and Personal Branding

Athlete entrepreneurship and personal branding also contribute to NIL funding. Syracuse athletes, like those on other college basketball teams, can earn money through personal ventures. They might create their own brands, launch products, or engage in fan engagement activities on social media. This entrepreneurship allows them to build their personal brand, gaining followers and generating revenue that supplements other NIL opportunities.

Other

Milwaukee Brewers, managed by Syracuse native and CBA grad, clinch NL Central title (PS; AP)

These aren’t the same Milwaukee Brewers who have made regular playoff appearances the last several years.

Milwaukee became the first major league team to clinch a division championship Wednesday when it sealed its third NL Central title in the last four years. The Chicago Cubs’ 5-3 home loss to the Oakland Athletics enabled the Brewers to wrap up the division crown.

The Brewers’ clubhouse emptied of players with one out to go in the ninth inning in Chicago, a couple of hours before Milwaukee’s scheduled first pitch against Philadelphia. A muffled cheer could be heard after the final out when the Brewers won their first consecutive division title in 42 years.

Milwaukee manager Pat Murphy — a Syracuse native — said he watched the final outs of the Cubs’ game with 90-year-old longtime Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker.

“We were doing our show and I watched it with him,” Murphy said. “What’s better than that? Awesome.”

Murphy was born in Syracuse, grew up in Eastwood, graduated from Christian Brothers Academy and attended Le Moyne College before moving on to Florida Atlantic University.

This marks the Brewers’ sixth postseason berth in the last seven years, a remarkable accomplishment for a team that made the playoffs just twice in a 35-year stretch from 1983-2017. But this run to the playoffs has been a little different from the rest.

“Nobody wants it to be easy, let’s just be honest,” first baseman Rhys Hoskins said. “Everybody that’s in that room cherishes challenges. The first challenge (is) down. We obviously have a few more ahead of us. We’re excited about that.”

Although the Brewers have grown accustomed to outperforming preseason expectations, the odds seemed stacked against them even more than usual this year.

Craig Counsell, the winningest manager in Brewers history, left for the rival Cubs. Corbin Burnes, the 2021 NL Cy Young Award winner, was traded to the Baltimore Orioles.

Two-time All-Star right-hander Brandon Woodruff didn’t pitch all year as he recovered from shoulder surgery and two-time NL reliever of the year Devin Williams missed the first half of the season with stress fractures in his back. All-Star outfielder Christian Yelich and pitchers Wade Miley and Robert Gasser suffered season-ending injuries.

None of it mattered.

OQGRIE54JVEBLBT4P3JU5BH3VU.jpeg

Fall foliage as seen on September 15, 2024 in the Adirondack High Peaks region in Upstate New York. William Adamczak | @wadamczakphoto on Instagram William Adamczak | @wadamczakphoto on Instagram

Fall debuts this weekend and foliage is changing fast. Here’s your latest leaf peeping report (PS; Hernandez)

Fall officially begins this Sunday, Sept. 22, and the foliage is transforming around the state to welcome the season.

I LOVE NY, the state’s tourism website, published their predictions for where to find the best sneak peek of autumn leaves during the week of Sept. 18-24, 2024.

This week’s map shows almost the entire state has started the transition of leaves from their summer greens to their autumn reds, oranges and golds.

Leaf peepers should plan to head to the Adirondacks to catch colors in Wanakena, Tupper Lake, Lake Pleasant and Old Forge. All of these locations are seeing 50 percent or more color change in their leaves. Newcomb and Saranac Lake are predicted to see up to 40 percent change this weekend as well.

Volunteer spotters are reporting hues of apricot, tangerine, buttercup, canary, maize, rhubarb and cerise.

Elsewhere in the state, significant color shifts are happening, with around 50 percent of the foliage transformed in some parts of Central New York, particularly around Norwich, Preston, and Oxford.

Further down the Hudson River, Delhi is expected to see 20 to 50 percent of its fall colors.

Kingston in the Hudson Valley and Massena in St. Lawrence County are also experiencing around 25 percent of their foliage transitioning.

Lowville, home of this weekend’s Cream Cheese Festival will see up to 25 percent change in foliage.

ITUZ2GGIOBGXVEF3QWUIDALXLM.jpg

The Syracuse Chargers' girls' cross country team won the AAU National Championships in 1974 and 1975. They are returning to Central New York this weekend to celebrate their 50th anniversary and honor their coach Al Bonney. The 1974 champions, from left to right, Cathy Rayo, Chris Gardner, Mary Seybold, Erica (Hagenlocher) Snowlake, Carrie Pusch, Amy Welch, Wende Pusch. (Courtesy of Lawrie Robertson)Courtesy of Lawrie Robertson

How a group of ‘rag-a-muffin’ runners from Syracuse became national champions in 1974 (PS; Croyle)

In 1972, a young girl approached the Syracuse Chargers’ girls’ cross country team at a long-forgotten meet at Brockport, N.Y.

She was hardly impressed by what she saw.

The rag-tag group of Syracuse runners, ages 14-17, were dressed in mismatched track suits, whose rips and tears had been repaired by their parents. Their gear had no uniform style or colors. They did not wear the same fancy sneakers their competitors wore.

“Boy, you guys look like a bunch of rag-a-muffins,” the girl told them.

The story was recounted two years later in the December 1974 edition of “Women’s Track and Field World” by writer Steve Wennerstrom.

The Syracuse Chargers were still dressed in “home-sewn uniforms and sweats” two years later, only this time they were called something else.

National Champions.

Syracuse’s biggest underdogs return home this weekend to celebrate their 50th anniversary of their title, to swap stories and honor the coach who made them champions.

sicilian-pepperoni-pizza-pizza.gif

Welcome to National Pepperoni Pizza Day!

Multiple surveys have shown pepperoni to be the favorite pizza topping of Americans, and over a third of the pizzas in the country are topped with it. So it comes as no surprise that there is a National Pepperoni Pizza Day.

Pepperoni takes its name from "peperoni"—with one "p"—an Italian name for a pepper. In Italy, what Americans call pepperoni is known as "salame piccante"—spicy salami. Pepperoni is a dried sausage made of a mixture of pork, beef, and spices, often including peppers. The name pepperoni began being used following World War I, primarily in Italian-American communities. At this time, pepperoni was primarily used as an appetizer, eaten on cured meat plates.

SU News

Syracuse’s ACC basketball schedules will be released next week (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse basketball fans who shape their winter schedules around the Orange should plan on breaking out their calendars next week.

The full ACC schedules for both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will be released Tuesday on the ACC Network.

The women’s schedule will be released at 7 p.m. The men’s schedule will be released at 8.

The first conference game for each team will be released one day earlier at 4 p.m. on the ACC Network.

This will be the first season for the conference with 18 teams.

The non-conference schedules for both the men’s team and the women’s team have been released. Times will be announced later.

Here’s what we know about the schedules for the two SU teams so far:

SU’s conference opponents in men’s basketball

Home/Away: Boston College, Pitt, Notre Dame

Home: Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest

Away: Cal, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, SMU, Stanford, Virginia Tech

SU’s non-conference schedule in men’s basketball

Oct. 26: Clarion (exhibition)
Oct. 30: Slippery Rock (exhibition)
Nov. 4: Le Moyne, home
Nov. 12: Colgate, home
Nov. 16: Youngstown State, home
Nov. 21: vs Texas in Legends Classic, Barclays Center, Brooklyn
Nov. 22: Texas Tech/St. Joseph’s in Legends Classic
Nov. 27: Cornell, home
Dec. 3: at Tennessee (ACC/SEC Challenge)
Dec. 10: Albany, home
Dec. 14: Georgetown, home

SU’s conference opponents in women’s basketball

Home/away: Boston College

Home: SMU, Pitt, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Virginia, Notre Dame

Away: Cal, Stanford, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Duke, Virginia Tech, Louisville

MBB: 2024-25 Schedule Release Next Tuesday (RX; HM)

MBB: 2024-25 Schedule Release Next Tuesday

From ESPN...

To share: ACC Network to Unveil 2024-25 ACC Women’s and Men’s Basketball Schedules During Nothing But Net Primetime Specials on Tuesday, Sept. 24

September 19, 2024

ACC Network to Unveil 2024-25 ACC Women’s and Men’s Basketball Schedules During Nothing But Net Primetime Specials on Tuesday, Sept. 24
ACC Women’s Basketball Schedule
Release at 7 p.m. ET, followed by Men’s Basketball Schedule Release at 8 p.m.

The 2024-25 ACC women’s and men’s basketball schedules will be unveiled during back-to-back one-hour Nothing But Net primetime specials on Tuesday, Sept. 24 on ACC Network. The specials will provide a first look at the ACC game dates, times and networks for the season, breaking down key rivalries and top matchups ahead of the ACC’s first season as an 18-team conference.

Justin Walters will host the women’s schedule release show at 7 p.m. ET, joined by analysts Kelly Gramlich and Muffet McGraw. The men’s schedule release follows at 8 p.m. with Taylor Tannebaum hosting alongside analysts Luke Hancock, Seth Greenberg and Randolph Childress.
The schedules of all 18 women’s and men’s ACC programs will be analyzed during the specials with the crews offering predictions on the teams and players to watch during the upcoming season.

Prior to Tuesday’s Nothing But Net schedule release shows, ACC PM with host Mark Packer will exclusively reveal the first conference game for each team on Monday, Sept. 23. ACC PM airs at 4 p.m. ET on ACC Network.

Six ACC women’s teams enter the 2024-25 season ranked in ESPN’s Way-Too-Early Women’s Basketball Top 25, including 2023-24 ACC Tournament champion Notre Dame (No. 4), Final Four participant NC State (No. 8), Duke (No. 11), Louisville (No. 12), North Carolina (No. 17) and Florida State (No. 18).

On the men’s side, two ACC teams are ranked in ESPN’s Way-Too-Early Men’s Basketball Top 25 – Duke, led by freshman sensation Cooper Flagg (No. 8) and North Carolina (No. 10), led by 2023-24 ACC Player of the Year RJ Davis.

The ACC enters the 2024-25 season looking to continue its remarkable league-wide success of both its women’s and men’s programs. The ACC is the only conference to have at least one women’s and men’s team reach the Final Four in each of the last three seasons, with seven men’s and women’s teams from six different schools achieving that feat.

evnoqdqwlvklye7cowsy.jpg

Jean Catuffe/Getty Images

Kiyan Anthony: Carmelo Not Pushing Syracuse 'Just Because His Name Is on the Gym' (BR; Kasabian)

Four-star shooting guard Kiyan Anthony, the son of ex-NBA star Carmelo Anthony, ranks 28th overall on 247Sports' composite list of the top class of 2025 high school men's basketball players. Anthony has 21 offers and four visits lined up, including one to Syracuse, where his father starred and won an NCAA championship in 2003.
There's certainly a natural inclination to connect Anthony to Syracuse given his father's legacy, which also includes his name on the practice facility. But Kiyan Anthony said that Carmelo hasn't pushed him toward Syracuse.
"[My father] never pushes me to go to Syracuse just because his name is on the gym," Anthony told ESPN's Myron Medcalf on Wednesday.

"He did so much at Syracuse. He knows that I'm my own person. I've just got to make my own decision at the end of the day.
"If it is Syracuse—I go there a lot and I practice, I work out there—if it is that, that's what it is. But he's never going to say, 'You got to go to Syracuse. You got to go there because I went there.' He's not going to make me follow in his footsteps unless I really want to."
Anthony certainly has interest elsewhere. He has visits set for USC, Florida State and Rutgers as well, per 247Sports. And his offers include Tennessee, Seton Hall, Michigan, Maryland, Indiana, Ohio State, Auburn and Arizona State.

MSN (MSN.com; Medcalf)

Kiyan Anthony knows better than most about his father's legacy at Syracuse, which is one of the finalists for the No. 36 prospect and four-star recruit in the 2025 ESPN 100 rankings.

Before a decorated NBA career, Carmelo Anthony led the Orange to the 2003 national championship as a freshman. He also donated a significant sum of money to the school's basketball facility, which now bears his name.

Despite those family ties, Kiyan Anthony said that his father and mother, La La Anthony, have not nudged him to pick Syracuse.

"[My father] never pushes me to go to Syracuse just because his name is on the gym," Anthony told ESPN on Wednesday ahead of the release of the second season of "The Evolu7ion" on YouTube with Overtime. "He did so much at Syracuse. He knows that I'm my own person. I've just got to make my own decision at the end of the day.

"If it is Syracuse -- I go there a lot and I practice, I work out there -- if it is that, that's what it is. But he's never going to say, 'You got to go to Syracuse. You got to go there because I went there.' He's not going to make me follow in his footsteps unless I really want to."

Anthony said he will choose from his list of finalists -- Syracuse, Auburn, USC, Florida State, Ohio State and Rutgers -- in the next two months and he expects to take another visit to Syracuse before his final decision.

At Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, New York, Anthony's career has been scrutinized because of family. His father is a likely Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee and his mother is an actress and celebrity with 15 million Instagram followers.

On his YouTube show, Anthony hopes to show what it's like to face the attention he's had since he was a child. But he also loves that his friends and teammates get a chance to share the spotlight with him.

Where Syracuse Basketball’s NIL Money is Coming From: Key Sources Explained – CollegeNetWorth.com (collegenetworth.com)

Syracuse University basketball has seen a significant boost in Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) opportunities for its athletes. Much of the NIL money for Syracuse Basketball comes from deals facilitated by an estimated $2 million NIL budget. This figure places the team in the middle of the ACC pack, helping them remain competitive in attracting top talent.

The players themselves are benefiting greatly from these opportunities. For instance, guards Judah Mintz and J.J. Starling have notable valuations, with Mintz valued at $96,000 and Starling at $117,000 according to On3 NIL valuations. Such figures highlight the substantial impact NIL has on individual athletes in college sports.

Syracuse’s involvement in high-profile events also contributes to its NIL revenue. Deals in the works for future games include participation in tournaments that offer millions in NIL payouts. These factors combined demonstrate how Syracuse is leveraging NIL to bolster its basketball program.

Syracuse University: Sources of NIL Funding for Syracuse Basketball

Syracuse University’s basketball program draws NIL funding from several key sources. These include NIL collectives and booster contributions, partnership deals and sponsorships, and athlete entrepreneurship and personal branding.

Syracuse University: NIL Collectives and Booster Contributions

NIL collectives and boosters play a critical role in funding Syracuse basketball. Orange United is a major collective, aiming for an NIL budget of $2 million to $2.5 million for the men’s team for the 2024-25 season. Boosters contribute significantly to this budget through fundraising and donations, enhancing the financial resources available to athletes. This helps Syracuse stay competitive within the ACC, providing opportunities similar to other top-tier programs.

Syracuse University: Partnership Deals and Sponsorships

Corporate sponsorships and partnership deals form another major funding source. These partnerships involve brands investing in Syracuse athletes’ NIL rights, creating mutual benefits. For example, big brands might sponsor athletes, paying for advertising on social media or other platforms. These deals have grown since the 2022 season, contributing significantly to the team’s overall NIL budget and financially supporting the athletes.

Syracuse University: Athlete Entrepreneurship and Personal Branding

Athlete entrepreneurship and personal branding also contribute to NIL funding. Syracuse athletes, like those on other college basketball teams, can earn money through personal ventures. They might create their own brands, launch products, or engage in fan engagement activities on social media. This entrepreneurship allows them to build their personal brand, gaining followers and generating revenue that supplements other NIL opportunities.

Other

Milwaukee Brewers, managed by Syracuse native and CBA grad, clinch NL Central title (PS; AP)

These aren’t the same Milwaukee Brewers who have made regular playoff appearances the last several years.

Milwaukee became the first major league team to clinch a division championship Wednesday when it sealed its third NL Central title in the last four years. The Chicago Cubs’ 5-3 home loss to the Oakland Athletics enabled the Brewers to wrap up the division crown.

The Brewers’ clubhouse emptied of players with one out to go in the ninth inning in Chicago, a couple of hours before Milwaukee’s scheduled first pitch against Philadelphia. A muffled cheer could be heard after the final out when the Brewers won their first consecutive division title in 42 years.

Milwaukee manager Pat Murphy — a Syracuse native — said he watched the final outs of the Cubs’ game with 90-year-old longtime Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker.

“We were doing our show and I watched it with him,” Murphy said. “What’s better than that? Awesome.”

Murphy was born in Syracuse, grew up in Eastwood, graduated from Christian Brothers Academy and attended Le Moyne College before moving on to Florida Atlantic University.

This marks the Brewers’ sixth postseason berth in the last seven years, a remarkable accomplishment for a team that made the playoffs just twice in a 35-year stretch from 1983-2017. But this run to the playoffs has been a little different from the rest.

“Nobody wants it to be easy, let’s just be honest,” first baseman Rhys Hoskins said. “Everybody that’s in that room cherishes challenges. The first challenge (is) down. We obviously have a few more ahead of us. We’re excited about that.”

Although the Brewers have grown accustomed to outperforming preseason expectations, the odds seemed stacked against them even more than usual this year.

Craig Counsell, the winningest manager in Brewers history, left for the rival Cubs. Corbin Burnes, the 2021 NL Cy Young Award winner, was traded to the Baltimore Orioles.

Two-time All-Star right-hander Brandon Woodruff didn’t pitch all year as he recovered from shoulder surgery and two-time NL reliever of the year Devin Williams missed the first half of the season with stress fractures in his back. All-Star outfielder Christian Yelich and pitchers Wade Miley and Robert Gasser suffered season-ending injuries.

None of it mattered.

OQGRIE54JVEBLBT4P3JU5BH3VU.jpeg

Fall foliage as seen on September 15, 2024 in the Adirondack High Peaks region in Upstate New York. William Adamczak | @wadamczakphoto on Instagram William Adamczak | @wadamczakphoto on Instagram

Fall debuts this weekend and foliage is changing fast. Here’s your latest leaf peeping report (PS; Hernandez)

Fall officially begins this Sunday, Sept. 22, and the foliage is transforming around the state to welcome the season.

I LOVE NY, the state’s tourism website, published their predictions for where to find the best sneak peek of autumn leaves during the week of Sept. 18-24, 2024.

This week’s map shows almost the entire state has started the transition of leaves from their summer greens to their autumn reds, oranges and golds.

Leaf peepers should plan to head to the Adirondacks to catch colors in Wanakena, Tupper Lake, Lake Pleasant and Old Forge. All of these locations are seeing 50 percent or more color change in their leaves. Newcomb and Saranac Lake are predicted to see up to 40 percent change this weekend as well.

Volunteer spotters are reporting hues of apricot, tangerine, buttercup, canary, maize, rhubarb and cerise.

Elsewhere in the state, significant color shifts are happening, with around 50 percent of the foliage transformed in some parts of Central New York, particularly around Norwich, Preston, and Oxford.

Further down the Hudson River, Delhi is expected to see 20 to 50 percent of its fall colors.

Kingston in the Hudson Valley and Massena in St. Lawrence County are also experiencing around 25 percent of their foliage transitioning.

Lowville, home of this weekend’s Cream Cheese Festival will see up to 25 percent change in foliage.

ITUZ2GGIOBGXVEF3QWUIDALXLM.jpg

The Syracuse Chargers' girls' cross country team won the AAU National Championships in 1974 and 1975. They are returning to Central New York this weekend to celebrate their 50th anniversary and honor their coach Al Bonney. The 1974 champions, from left to right, Cathy Rayo, Chris Gardner, Mary Seybold, Erica (Hagenlocher) Snowlake, Carrie Pusch, Amy Welch, Wende Pusch. (Courtesy of Lawrie Robertson)Courtesy of Lawrie Robertson

How a group of ‘rag-a-muffin’ runners from Syracuse became national champions in 1974 (PS; Croyle)

In 1972, a young girl approached the Syracuse Chargers’ girls’ cross country team at a long-forgotten meet at Brockport, N.Y.

She was hardly impressed by what she saw.

The rag-tag group of Syracuse runners, ages 14-17, were dressed in mismatched track suits, whose rips and tears had been repaired by their parents. Their gear had no uniform style or colors. They did not wear the same fancy sneakers their competitors wore.

“Boy, you guys look like a bunch of rag-a-muffins,” the girl told them.

The story was recounted two years later in the December 1974 edition of “Women’s Track and Field World” by writer Steve Wennerstrom.

The Syracuse Chargers were still dressed in “home-sewn uniforms and sweats” two years later, only this time they were called something else.

National Champions.

Syracuse’s biggest underdogs return home this weekend to celebrate their 50th anniversary of their title, to swap stories and honor the coach who made them champions.
Total NIL for bball about 2 to 3 million and Adam was good for about 1m a year. Its a shame the school cant get him back