Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
d2d89o2-ed63a9f0-c82c-4228-b30b-4a682afc1681.gif

Welcome to International Raccoon Appreciation Day!

International Raccoon Appreciation Day celebrates all animals that are misunderstood and who are known as being pests or "nuisance animals," but who are actually an important part of their ecosystem. Examples of such animals may include raccoons and coyotes in the United States and elephants in Africa. The goal is for people to become more accepting of these animals while celebrating the day, which may help prevent habitat loss and may increase animal diversity. Raccoons are particularly celebrated today. What benefits do raccoons have to their ecosystem? They help keep it clean by eating carrion; they keep the numbers of some other animals in check by eating them, and they spread seeds around when they are foraging and eating berries and nuts.

SU News

YL6BOEKRQVBGNPSE3EFM7Y4SIQ.jpg

Aaron Womack committed to Adrian Autry on Saturday. Womack, a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is considered a three-star prospect in the 2025 class.Photo courtesy of Syracuse University Athletics

Syracuse basketball gets commitment from Aaron Womack, an under-the-radar shooting guard in 2025 class (PS; $; Waters)

Aaron Womack flew into Syracuse on Friday well under the radar.

By the time Womack left Syracuse, he was receiving recruiting phone calls from several other high-major schools, but the 6-foot-5 shooting guard had made up his mind. He committed to Syracuse coach Adrian Autry on Saturday and announced his decision on Monday.

Womack, a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is considered a three-star prospect in the 2025 class. His list of scholarship offers includes schools such as Illinois-Chicago, Murray State, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Illinois State, Southern Utah and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The Syracuse coaches stepped up their efforts after seeing Womack a few times this summer as he played for the Wisconsin Playground Warriors on the Under Armour AAU circuit.

“He was getting frustrated from the recruiting,’' Womack’s father, Aaron Jr., said Monday. “He thinks he’s a higher recruit than what he’s shown. We said, ‘Take your time. Your time will come.’ He was ecstatic that a high major like Syracuse wanted him.’'

Womack and his family were set to take a visit to another school this past weekend when SU assistant Allen Griffin called and invited them to see the Syracuse campus.

“The SU staff, to their credit, they kept their radar open,’' Womack Jr. said. “They looked at all the film from his games this summer.’'

Aaron Womack commits to Syracuse basketball, discusses decision (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has landed a commitment from 2025 Milwaukee (WI) Dominican small forward Aaron Womack. Womack took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend where he picked up an offer and committed before heading home. The 6-6 wing is the second commitment in the Orange's 2025 class, joining five star Sadiq White. Womack chose Syracuse over offers from Buffalo, Illinois State, Illinois-Chicago, Murray State, Southern Utah, William & Mary, Wisconsin-Green Bay and Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He 21.9 points, 9.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists as a junior. Womack earned first-team all-league in the Metro Classic Conference as a freshman, sophomore and junior.

"I had a good feeling about the school once I got down there," Womack said. "I like the offense, which felt like a system I could play in. I always wanted to play on a high level and every coach there believes I can. They see so much potential in me and I believe they can develop me into a better player and a better man."

He informed the Syracuse coaches of his commitment Saturday night at dinner.

"I thanked everyone for hosting me and my family," Womack said. "Thanking them for being so welcoming and we enjoyed our time there. Then I told coach I would accept his offer and commit to Syracuse."

Off The Radar 2025 Wing Commits To SU Basketball (orangefizz.net; Gotkin)

Earlier today, Adrian Autry received his second commitment from the 2025 class and it was a surprise to say the least. Aaron Womack, a three-star from Milwaukee, Wisconsin announced his commitment to the Orange via a Joe Tipton tweet at 1:30pm. The newest member of the Orange went completely under the radar throughout his entire recruitment process. Pretty much all of the hype around the 2025 class has been about Kiyan Anthony and other talented guards, mainly from the DMV and east coast.

Womack was offered by Autry just two days ago on Saturday and decided to commit soon after. SU was the small forwards first offer from a Power Five school. His other offers didn’t even come from mid major schools, but were all low majors like Green Bay, Southern Utah, Buffalo, and Illinois-Chicago.

Dikembe Mutombo, Basketball Hall of Famer and Georgetown legend, dies at 58 (PS; AP)

Dikembe Mutombo, a Basketball Hall of Famer who was one of the best defensive players in NBA history and a longtime global ambassador for the game, died Monday from brain cancer, the league announced. He was 58.

His family revealed two years ago that he was undergoing treatment in Atlanta for a brain tumor. The NBA said he died surrounded by his family.

“Dikembe Mutombo was simply larger than life,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said. “On the court, he was one of the greatest shot blockers and defensive players in the history of the NBA. Off the floor, he poured his heart and soul into helping others.”

Mutombo was distinctive in so many ways — the playful finger wag at opponents after blocking their shots, his height, his deep and gravelly voice, his massive smile. Players of this generation were always drawn to him and Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid, who was born in Cameroon, looked to Mutombo as an inspiration.

https://go.ezodn.com/ads/charity/proxy?p_id=5461dbd3-7191-412a-50eb-26f2a827a8a7&d_id=84054&imp_id=7785176536613380&c_id=1134&l_id=10016&url=https://joinourvillage.org/donate/&ffid=1&co=US

Other

QBXWWXYUJZC4LIBWFDHUMUK52E.jpg

The annual Amazing Ballpark Beer Fest returns to NBT Bank Stadium on Oct. 5, 2024. Photo by Alden MorrisSyracuse Mets

Syracuse Ballpark Beer Fest returns for 10th year, with new focus on BBQ (PS; Cazentre)

Beer. A ballpark. Need another “B”?

How about barbecue?

The annual Amazing Ballpark Beer Fest hosted by the Syracuse Mets is bringing in three local barbecue vendors this year and adding “BBQ” to its name.

The Amazing Ballpark Beer & BBQ Fest takes place noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5 at NBT Bank Stadium, home of the Syracuse Mets. This is the tenth year the team has hosted the beer fest near or after the end of the baseball season.

The new focus on barbecue will bring three local vendors to the event: Limp Lizard (which has been at the fest on the past), Angry Smokehouse and Who Want Smoke BBQ. Each vendor will offer a $2 sample plus regular menu items

“What goes better with beer than barbecue?” said Mets general manager Jason Smorol.

The barbecue vendors will join roughly 40 breweries offering up more than 80 different beers and ciders. The event also features live music.

Admission is $45 in advance (online or at the stadium), and $55 at the door. Designated drivers get in for $10. Parking is free in the stadium lot. Each guest receives a commemorative 5-ounce glass.

“It’s really the most affordable beer fest around,” said Smorol, who called it the “People’s Beer Fest” – no VIP, no paying for extra hour – just the lowest price (in) a very unique location.”

The live music lineup is DJ Marty the One Man Party at the Rocky’s Cigars Spirit and Cigar Deck; Sam Vecchio (acoustic Guitar) at the 315 Bullpen Bar; and Irv Lyons Jr. and the Light, performing on the field at the Mets logo.

The event is sponsored by Cleantec janitorial service and and the DWI Team (yes, that’s a law firm specializing in DWI cases). The DWI Team is offering a deal of $10 off a Lyft ride home to the first 100 people that sign up with a code provided at the fest.

Upstate NY winter forecast: How much (or little) snow is in our future? (PS; $; Coin)

It looks like Upstate New York could see another warm, wet winter with a little more snow than last year but still well below normal, forecasters say.

The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration says the odds favor a warmer-than-normal winter with above-normal precipitation. That suggests we’ll see winters like the ones we’ve been stuck with for most of the past decade.

But maybe just a little whiter.

“We’ll have more snow than we had last year,” said Paul Pastelok, a senior meteorologist with private weather forecasting service Accuweather.

It wouldn’t take much: Last season was one of the lowest snow totals on record, thanks to record warmth that brought rain instead of snow.

That’s been the trend. Eight of the past 10 winters have had less snow than normal. Seven have been warmer than normal.

Joel McHale raves about “the best food in Upstate,” charms staff at late-night lounge (PS; Hernandez)

If you’re looking for late night eats in Upstate New York that isn’t a fast food drive-thru or some reheated pizza slices, Chef David from TV’s “The Bear” has a recommendation for you.

Actor and comedian Joel McHale performed at the University of Rochester over the weekend as part of their annual Meloria Weekend filled with activities and events for students, family and alumni.

The show finished after 10 p.m. and McHale went on the hunt for “good, real food at a late hour,” according to Sarah Pavia, Marketing Manager for The Daily Refresher, a gastro-lounge and cocktail bar in downtown Rochester near The Strong Museum of Play.