Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1000_F_512866228_urIAOBk7fuqGfUAGw6T1pPYApIWvFNPu.jpg

Welcome to INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY!

EVERYONE IS TO PUT THE CAPS LOCK ON BEFORE TYPING ON INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY, A DAY THOUGHT UP BY DEREK ARNOLD OF IOWA IN 2000. HE STARTED THE DAY AS A PARODY, TO TAKE A JAB AT THOSE WHO WRITE IN CAPS WHEN IT IS NOT NECESSARY. WRITING IN ALL CAPS IS OFTEN USED TO INDICATE THAT THE PERSON TYPING IS SHOUTING, AND ITS USE IS OFTEN SEEN AS BEING RUDE OR ANNOYING. BEING THAT CAPS LETTERS ARE ALL THE SAME HEIGHT, THEY ARE HARDER TO READ THAN LOWER CASE LETTERS. THIS GIVES ONE INDICATION OF WHY THEY MAY BE SEEN AS BEING ANNOYING. THE DAY WAS ORIGINALLY JUST CELEBRATED ON OCTOBER 22, BUT AFTER "INFOMERCIAL KING" BILLY MAYS PASSED AWAY ON JUNE 28 IN 2009, THE DAY BEGAN BEING CELEBRATED ON THAT DATE AS WELL. THIS IS BECAUSE THE CAPS LOCK KEY STARTED BEING CALLED THE BILLY MAYS KEY BECAUSE BILLY MAYS SEEMED LIKE HE WAS ALWAYS YELLING WHEN HE TALKED ABOUT A PRODUCT.

SU News

How Syracuse guard Elijah ‘Choppa’ Moore turned tattooed elbow into massive following (PS; Ditota)

It started with vacant real estate on his left elbow.

Elijah Moore, Syracuse’s freshman guard, had decided he wanted to tattoo only the arm and leg on the left side of his body. The elbow was available.

Moore wants all his tattoos to signify something specific, something personal.

So, he conceived of a bullseye, a target to be drawn on his left, non-shooting elbow. That way, whenever he made a 3-point shot, he could show the bullseye to recognize the feat.

For Moore, that seemed fitting. His reputation as a knockdown shooter was what lifted him in the Class of 2024 recruiting rankings.

The target tattoo is an ode to his shooting ability.

“I wanted it to be round so I could kind of flow with the rest of my tattoos. I was kind of just thinking what I could put and I was like, ‘What if I get a target, what if I get a bullseye?’ ” he said.

“And then I got it and it was one of those things where I wasn’t really sure about how it would go. But I just kind of embraced it and let it be a part of me. And actually, it ended up being a good thing.”

Moore said he decided on the tattoo about a year ago, after talking with his OTE Jelly Fam teammate and fellow Bronx native Ian Jackson, who will play at North Carolina this season. Moore said the two were working out one day when the idea surfaced.

“Sure enough I did it,” he said, “and it just kind of took off from there.”

Meet Jyare Davis: Syracuse’s new power forward was a scorer at Delaware (PS; Ditota)

Name:
Jyare Davis
Class: Graduate student
Jersey number: 13
Height: 6-7
Weight: 220
Previous school: Delaware

2023-24 stats: 17.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.4 apg, .466 field goals, .256 3-pointers, .814 free throws

Career stats: 14.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.0 apg, .494 field goals, .246 3-pointers, .733 free throws

Davis is a solidly built veteran forward whose experience will help a front line that struggled last season to guard the interior, score at the rim and rebound the ball. He began his career at Providence College and played the last three season at Delaware, where he was a second-team All-CAA selection last season.

Adrian Autry: “Jyare is a ... tough cover. He can play bigger guys, he can play against smaller guys. His 3-point numbers might not show that but that’s one of the things that he’s improved since he’s been here and especially since we started practicing. But he’s a guy that can score around the basket. He can rebound the ball. A guy that’s versatile. He’s really good in the midrange and he’s improved his outside shooting. And his leadership. He’s an older guy. He’s been at this level and now he’s back at this level. ... He was a 17-point scorer (at Delaware). He knows he’s not going to average 17 this year, but he’s willing to come in and do what he needs to do. I think he’ll be a great help for us.”

Jyare Davis: “Things are definitely different for me here than they were at Delaware. At Delaware, I was blessed to be in a position where I was getting the ball every single time. I could shoot whatever shot I wanted to. And now, I’m playing with better players and it’s a different situation, a different offense. But I think it’s actually a good thing for me as a basketball player and I’m looking forward to it.”

Davis said Autry challenges him every day to try to get every rebound. He will likely cede a starting spot to 5-star freshman Donnie Freeman, who talked a couple weeks ago about how much Davis has helped him transition to college basketball. There will likely be times, too, when Davis and Freeman will be on the floor together. Autry wants to run and a smaller, more nimble lineup will help in that directive.

Davis reiterated what Autry said about his 3-point shooting. The Orange, too, would like to put as many perimeter shooters on the floor as possible.

“I’ve worked on it a lot. It’s something that one, every coach in here believes in me,” he said. “I actually remember my very first practice here. I had a 3 I could have shot. I didn’t think I was that open but I could have shot it. And Coach actually blew the whistle and stopped practice and kind of got on me to shoot the ball.

“When you have a coach that believes in you that much, and plus I’ve put the time and the work on it, that’s something that’s coming to fruition, I feel like.”

Syracuse basketball is a front-runner for 5-star Alex Constanza, whose visit went 'great' (itlh; Adler)

Alex Constanza, an elite high school prospect from Florida, took an official visit this past weekend to Syracuse basketball, and he was joined by his family.

According to his dad, Ed Constanza, their trip to the Hill went quite well. By the way, Ed is just an all-around wonderful human being, and I always appreciate his candor when we chat.

His son, the 6-foot-8 Alex Constanza, is a five-star guard/small forward out of the Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He's rated as high as No. 10 nationally in the 2026 class by , and the industry-generated 247Sports Composite places Constanza at No. 11 overall in this cycle.

Syracuse enters 2nd season under Adrian Autry, seeking to end 3-year NCAA Tournament drought (beloitdailynews.com; AP)

Syracuse (20-12, 11-9 ACC)

In Adrian Autry's first year as coach, Syracuse enjoyed its first 20-win regular season since 2013-14, but missed out on an NCAA Tournament berth for the third straight year and then saw a major roster overhaul. Eight players are gone from last year’s team, including starting point guard and leading scorer Judah Mintz, and seven others opted for the transfer portal. The last time Syracuse went three straight seasons without playing in either the NCAA tournament or the NIT was from 1968-70.

Players to watch

Donnie Freeman (freshman , 6-9). The five-star recruit out of IMG Academy could be a first-round NBA draft pick.

J.J. Starling (junior G, 6-4, 13.3 ppg). Starling discovered his shooting touch in the second half of last season, and has a chance to be one of the ACC’s top off-guards.
Chris Bell (junior, , 6-7, 12.0 ppg). Bell is the team’s best 3-point shooter.

Departures and arrivals

In addition to Mintz (18.8 ppg), key losses include Malik Brown (9.5 ppg), who transferred to Duke, and Quadir Copeland (9.6 ppg), now at McNeese State. Brown was an All-ACC defensive team selection who averaged more than seven rebounds a game. Copeland was a sparkplug who brought energy off the bench.

Syracuse added four transfers, none bigger than Eddie Lampkin and Jaquan Carlos. Lampkin (senior C, 6-11, 10.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg), a Colorado transfer, is expected to start and give the Orange a post presence and inside scoring. Carlos (senior PG, 6-0, 10.4 ppg, 6.3 apg) is a pass-first guard who was a full-time starter his last two years at Hofstra.

Freshman SG Elijah Moore is a legitimate 3-point threat and could push for playing time. Junior Chance Westry missed last season with a knee injury.

Top games

After the Nov. 4 opener vs. Le Moyne, top games include home matchups vs. Duke (Feb. 5) and North Carolina (Feb. 15). Key early games include Texas (Nov. 21), Tennessee (Dec. 3) and Maryland (Dec. 21). A winter trip out West includes games against first-year ACC opponents Cal and Stanford (Jan. 29, Feb. 1).

Mike McAllister talks Alex Costanza's Syracuse Basketball Visit and SU Football vs. Pitt (youtube; radio; Cuse Sports Talk)

Syracuse on 247 Sports publisher Mike McAllister gives updates on 5-star recruit Alex Constanza and his visit to Syracuse, discusses his thoughts on the betting line for the Orange football team's upcoming game against the Pitt Panthers, and more

Keeping Up With The 315 10-21-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins begins the show reviewing recent Pitt/Syracuse games of note and why this is the most anticipated one he can remember. Then, he plays back some of the biggest moments from Fran Brown’s presser and ponders where Justin Barron will lineup when Marlowe Wax returns. Lastly, a full recap of NFL weekend and some of Jon Rothstein’s takes on SU basketball.

Other

MF75OWG2CBDM7CSSYRGW27PL5U.jpg

Runners enjoy a picture perfect fall day at the Marcellus Cross Country Invitational held at Marcellus Park Oct. 18, 2024. Over 800 runners from 27 schools participated. (Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com)Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Near-record fall warmth will blanket Central NY this week (PS; Coin)

November starts next week, but Central New York will enjoy June-like temperatures over the next few days.

Today’s high is expected to be 76 degrees, and the high Tuesday and Wednesday could be 80 degrees, the National Weather Service predicts. Those highs are all within a few degrees of the record for the dates.

The best chance for a record will be Wednesday, when the forecast is 80 degrees and the record is 81.

A high temperature of 80 is normal for late June. The average high for Syracuse for Oct. 21 is 58 degrees.

“High pressure will bring a prolonged period of dry and warm weather through Wednesday,” the weather service’s Binghamton office said.

High pressure keeps clouds at bay, so all three days should be sunny.

Things change quickly Wednesday night, when a fast-moving cold front sweeps through. The front will bring some light rain and much cooler temperatures: Expect highs on Thursday in the low 50s, nearly 30 degrees cooler than Wednesday.

For the weekend, high temperatures will be in the mid 50s, typical for the last weekend in October. There’s a 30% to 40% chance of rain over the weekend.

DBA5PPHDDJACZIIZHSH7XHZE7M.jpg

First lady Jill Biden, actor Martin Sheen (far right), and other members of the cast of "The West Wing" listen to Aaron Sorkin speak at an event on the Rose Garden at the White House to mark the 25th anniversary of the television series, The West Wing, Friday, Sept. 20, 2024, in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta) AP

Biden honors fellow Syracuse University alum Aaron Sorkin with medal (PS; Herbert)

President Joe Biden will honor fellow Syracuse University alumnus Aaron Sorkin and others at the White House today, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Endowment for the Arts both announced.

Biden will honor 19 people with National Humanities Medals and 20 others with the National Medals of Arts on Monday afternoon in a private ceremony at the East Room. Honorees include Sorkin, late TV chef Anthony Bourdain, documentarian Ken Burns, actor LeVar Burton, rapper Missy Elliott, rapper-actress Queen Latifah, actress Eva Longoria, singer-actress Idina Menzel, singer Selena Quintanilla, and filmmakers Spike Lee and Steven Spielberg.

Sorkin will receive a National Humanities Medal recognizing his work, which includes the Oscar-winning screenplay for “The Social Network” and multiple Emmys for “The West Wing.” His film, TV and theater credits also include “The Newsroom,” “A Few Good Men,” “Moneyball,” “The Trial of the Chicago 7,″ “Molly’s Game” and “The American President.”

Sorkin, a 1983 graduate of Syracuse University, visited the White House last month with the cast of “The West Wing” to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the television series about White House staff. Biden, a 1968 graduate of SU’s College of Law, is the first Syracuse University alumnus to be elected president.

Sorkin made headlines in July when he compared Biden to the fictional President Jed Bartlet (played by Martin Sheen), who hid his multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis from the public while running for re-election. Sorkin urged Democrats to nominate Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, instead of Biden to face Republican presidential nominee former President Donald Trump in the 2024 election; Biden dropped out of the race hours later and Sorkin endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris, who became the Democratic presidential nominee.

The National Humanities Medal honors an individual or organization whose work has deepened the nation’s understanding of the human experience, broadened citizens’ engagement with history or literature, or helped preserve and expand Americans’ access to cultural resources. Since 1996, 225 individuals and organizations have been awarded humanities medals, including this year’s honorees.

The National Medals of Arts, the highest award given to artists and arts patrons by the president, is awarded to individuals or groups who “are deserving of special recognition by reason of their outstanding contributions to the excellence, growth, support and availability of the arts in the United States.” More than 300 people have received the National Medal of Arts since 1985.

Monday’s presentation of awards will include recipients for 2022 and 2023 honors together. The last ceremony for National Medals of Arts and Humanities was held in March 2023, according to Deadline.