Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

hi-res-f35042554ed8aace6f28352e51f1bb96_crop_north.jpg

SU Basketball: 5 Bold Predictions for the Orange's 2014-15 Season (BR; Neuman!)

Before you know it, the Syracuse basketball team will be playing games that count. The Orange began their exhibition season with a 76-68 win over Carleton University. For the second straight year, the Canadian school gave Syracuse everything it could handle, but the Orange were again able to prevail.

The Orange have one more exhibition left against Adrian College before the regular season begins Nov. 14. Syracuse's first game will tip off the 2K Classic against Kennesaw State.

With the season right around the corner, let's start breaking down what we can expect to see from this year's iteration of Syracuse hoops. Here are five bold predictions for the Orange for this season.

Other

none-such-mince-meat-float-100jpg-8b8dbb967f9dd0b7.jpg

nonesuchcondensed285.jpg

Canned Innovation: A Look at CNY Mincemeat History (PS; OHA)

Way back in 1868, two Syracusans, G. Lewis Merrell and Oscar F. Soule, formed a partnership and opened a factory for canning fruit and vegetables. Within a year, the two men enlarged their small factory on West Fayette street in Syracuse, and with additional success, they opened plants in Fayetteville and Chittenango. Merrell also invented labor saving canning machinery that helped keep the expanding company competitive. In 1873, the company patented a process for canning corn, the grain being harvested from about 1,500 acres of company owned land. An early company logo featured Captain Samuel George of the Onondaga nation.

In 1885, the Merrell-Soule Company began making its famous None Such condensed mincemeat. Traditional fresh mincemeat spoiled quickly until Merrell-Soule discovered how to reduce its moisture content. Less moisture in the mincemeat greatly increased its shelf life. The product was an instant hit with dessert and pie makers, and by 1925, the company produced enough mincemeat to fill 12 million pies!

I don't mean to be negative but I think Tyler Ennis could have benefited from this drill. He seemed to miss more than his share of layups as I remember. Not that I didn't like him and realize how many other things he did so well as a freshman.
I suspect that Tyler Ennis is the reason it was not used last year.