Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

B4CduYoIIAA2Cr-.jpg

B4CduYoIIAA2Cr-.jpg

The Melo Center Gets A Memory Upgrade (TNIAAM; Keeley)

The key to having a place like The Melo Center is making sure it's always bright and shiny and eye-catching for recruits who want to be a part of the Syracuse Orange family. Donna Ditota took a look around the facility today and noticed that SU is making sure teenagers who only started paying attention to Syracuse in the last couple years will recognize things (Derrick Coleman? I think they misspelled Dajuan.")

Previewing SU Hoops Opponents: It's Duke & Kentucky, Then Everyone Else (TNIAAM; Smith)

The men's college basketball season is nearly to its quarter point, and for those that follow the sport closely there's one clear-cut opinion that can drawn as of Dec. 4–the Duke Blue Devils and Kentucky Wildcats will be the top two favorites to win the National Champion all year long.

Of course, there's about 20-25 other teams that can make a run in late March, as Louisville, Arizona, Wisconsin and Gonzaga are very talented as well, but Kentucky has the roster depth to run opponents into the ground and Duke has the starters and coaching talent to beat anyone into submission.

The Blue Devils did that Wednesday night in their big 80-70 win at Wisconsin in the main event of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Like last season, Duke can still shoot it, however, this season they have the inside presence of stud freshman Jahlil Okafor and a flashy play-making guard in Tyus Jones, who netted 22 points in Wednesday's victory.

It will be fun to see how good these two programs will be as the season progresses. Recent history has shown us that losses will come in a few bunches and we shouldn't expect each to enter March with zero losses, but these teams could do it if its rosters stay consistent. How cool would that be?

1218274.jpg

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Red Storm* (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng)

*but were afraid to ask

Syracuse hosts old Big East rival St. John’s on Saturday afternoon at the Carrier Dome. To get us prepped, we sat down with our friend Joseph Nardone over at FanSided’s Storm the Paint to get a scouting report for the upcoming game.

1. Tell us about Storm the Paint.

Storm The Paint was started in 2013 via some bad decisions by other people (only half-kidding). Basically, STP was started because I had nowhere else to go. I had been blogging/writing/scribbling/typing for a few years, even had a full-time gig for a short bit, but I was a writer without a place to write. Sure, I was floating around being the always beloved nomadic blogger, but I didn’t have a home.

Long story short (kind of), I joined FanSided to run their Florida State site. However, while I follow college football my real passion is college basketball. Not to mention that — until I ran FanSided’s FSU site — I didn’t follow the university’s programs very closely, which is one of my biggest pet peeves of people who attempt to cover sports — faking the funk, or not really following what they are supposed to be covering.

Eventually I talked one of my (real life) friends, who FanSided also happened to be after for awhile, into joining the FSU site. He’s an actual Florida State fan and I knew he was more than capable to be running that site. So, I basically asked the people at FanSided to let me go from running that site. After discussing the possibilities of me running other sites I asked them if they could just let me run the St. John’s site, which it turns out they didn’t have. Luckily for me, though, they thought I was decent enough at barely forming sentences to build me one.

Last edited:
Dion Waiters willing to be patient (ESPN)

Despite a difficult start to the season for Dion Waiters -- his points, rebounds, assists and minutes per game have all taken a significant dip from last season, not to mention his shooting percentages also plummeting -- the Cleveland Cavaliers guard maintains his only focus is on the team.

"It's all right. We're winning," Waiters told ESPN.com following Cavs shootaround Thursday. "It ain't about me right now. It's not about me. As long as we're winning (I'm fine)."...

Whipped up a little preview for the game: http://.com/misremembering-the-st-johns-rivalry/