Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

hi-res-72fe1cfd003771d0a667a6a33d441086_crop_north.jpg

Ways Orange Must Improve Before Conference Play (BR; Neuman!)

The Syracuse basketball team is off to an uncharacteristic start this season. The Orange (5-3) have lost back-to-back games and have several tough games remaining before ACC play begins. Included in the nonconference schedule is a trip to Villanova, which is currently ranked seventh in both polls.

Based on the way Syracuse has played lately, games that could once have been considered gimmes are no longer easy wins. If the Orange want to be competitive in conference play this year, they have to make the most of the remaining nonconference contests.

Let's have a look at a few areas the Orange must focus on ahead of the start of ACC play.

3-Point Shooting

Anyone who has been watching Syracuse play this year knows three-point shooting has been a problem for Syracuse. Considering TrevorCooney was the only returning three-point threat, it was expected the Orange would struggle a bit from deep.

SU Basketball Fails to Inspire Confidence So Far (timesunion.com; Lee)

One of the fun new aspects of this blog is becoming where in the world am I writing this entry from? If you guessed the Amtrak train from Penn Station back to Albany, you’re today’s winner!

Today’s subject is the Syracuse basketball team and the early stages of what appears may be a very long season. I expressed in this space before the season started that I thought this season could be a real struggle for the Orange, particularly offensively.

Through the games I’ve seen so far, I’m sad to say I think my worries have been well-founded. While the defense is not as suffocating as it’s been in the past, it’s still above average and good enough to lead the team to wins more often than not.

However, the offense has been nothing short of inept in games against like opponents. If you separate the eight games thus far into halves, you can really see the difference. Four of the games were against teams the Orange should handle easily: Kennesaw St., Hampton, Loyola and Holy Cross. Not surprisingly, Syracuse is 4-0 in those games, all at home.