Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

16570737-mmmain.jpg

JB Has Not Post-Press Conference Regrets. Should He? (PS; Poliquin)

It was three days after Jim Boeheim's most recent must-see TV appearance, or the much-discussed summit that had morphed from press briefing to expansive lecture, complete with "thank-you-sir-may-I-have-another?" visions dancing through heads.

And as he sat behind his desk inside the Melo Center, the Syracuse University basketball coach listened to the first question tossed his way … and looked as if a waiter had delivered a dinner he hadn't ordered.

"What?" Boeheim responded. "Are you kidding? You must be. Regrets? Regrets about what?"

He'd been asked if he had, well, any regrets about what he'd said in the Carrier Dome on Sunday following his Orange's 71-69 escape of the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs.

You remember. You remember Jim's message and how it hadn't been a cheery one. You remember how he'd rattled off names and then attached basketball sins to those names. You remember that the ol' Hall-of-Famer had been as frank as the head of a hammer, with a heart to match.

But on Wednesday afternoon, given a half-week to re-consider, he didn't.

Syracuse Basketball Fans Incredibly Blessed (sujuiceonline.com; Marcus)

It’s the story of the season–Syracuse basketball is 6-3. Disaster. NIT here we come.

Surprisingly, I’m not worried about the rocky start. Maybe it’s because I’m two seasons removed from my last basketball season as a student. Maybe it’s because I’m older. But I think it’s just because I’ve come to the realization that while SU should never settle, things have been pretty bright for the Orange these last half dozen years.

Syracuse basketball fans are spoiled. But I think I have especially been spoiled. Since becoming a ‘Cuse fan in 2009 (my freshman year at SU), the basketball team has granted me with wins. Lots of wins. And there’s been few losses.

In fact, at the end of the 2013 season, it was stated that senior guard Brandon Triche was the winningest player in SU basketball history. That’s a lot of history. And a lot of wins.

Other

16593360-mmmain.jpg

Hard Cider Continues to Ride a Huge Boom in Central NY and Beyond (PS; Cazentre)

It sounds like a bad pun, but it seems to be true: Hard apple cider has lots of appeal.

"It's a fresh taste, like eating an apple itself," says Don Agate, who serves as executive chef for a group of Central New York restaurants, including the Colgate Inn in Hamilton.
"There are wine drinkers and there are beer drinkers, and then there is hard cider, which seems to be finding its own audience."

The evidence isn't hard to see in Central New York, home to a big local apple industry. Hard cider, the alcoholic beverage made from the juice of pressed apples, is finding an ever-increasing local audience.

Across New York state, the nation's second-leading producer of apples (after Washington), the number of hard cider-makers stood at 29 this fall, up from just 5 in 2011. Most are in Upstate New York. (See listing below).

Local brands, like 1911 Spirits and Harvest Moon Cidery, are competing for space in bars, and sometimes on store shelves, with increasing numbers of national brands. The national brands include Anheuser-Busch's Johnny Appleseed, launched this year and made exclusively at A-B's brewery near Baldwinsville.