Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

AR-141219642.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

SU Basketball Regroups Behind Cooney and Christmas (dailyfreeman.com; Kekis)

Trevor Cooney has given Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim something his Orange desperately needed — a solid game.

The redshirt junior guard from Delaware scored a season-high 25 points on Sunday evening and assisted on senior Rakeem Christmas’s winning basket in a 71-69 victory over Louisiana Tech.

The win snapped a rare two-game slide in the nonconference portion of the schedule for Syracuse (6-3) and couldn’t have come at a better time. The Orange visit No. 7 Villanova (10-0) on Saturday.

“I know he (Boeheim) is happy with the win, but he’s looking at the bigger picture,” Cooney said. “He wants us to improve. The game shouldn’t have been that close.”

Cooney, the team’s main threat from long range, entered the game shooting just 28.3 percent (13 of 46) on 3-pointers. But after missing all four 3s he attempted in a home loss to St. John’s a week earlier, Cooney hit 4 of 8 against the pressing Bulldogs, and 11 of his points came in situations when Syracuse was trailing or leading by just one.

“Trevor played the way he has to play,” Boeheim said. “He was a player. He wasn’t just a shooter. He got to the basket, he drove, he made plays. That’s a huge thing for us.”

Boeheim Signals Start of Syracuse Lacrosse Watch (sujuiceonline.com; Brannigan)

Thanks for the hard truth, Coach Boeheim. The Syracuse men’s lacrosse watch now begins in earnest, and there may be reason for hope.

The Orange were picked second in the ACC coaches preseason poll released earlier this week. The team earned two first-place votes and 22 points. Notre Dame was crowned as the favorite, garnering three first-place votes and 23 points. North Carolina, two-time defending champion Duke and Virginia rounded out the list.

Meanwhile, Inside Lacrosse recently tabbed the Orange as No. 4 in its Face-Off Yearbook preseason poll. All five ACC squads are ranked in the top 10.

Denver, a national semifinalist in 2014, is No. 1. Notre Dame, Duke, Syracuse and Johns Hopkins follow. North Carolina, Loyola, Cornell, Maryland and Virginia round out the top 10.

549379c6f3bfe.image.jpg

Villanova Basketball Star Josh Hart (phillytrib.com; Hunt)

Josh Hart knows how to get his shots on the basketball court. Hart has knack of working to get to his spots within the Villanova offense. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard came in off the bench to connect on six of seven shots from the field and three-for-three from three-point range in Villanova’s 85-62 win over Temple last Sunday at the Pavilion.

The Wildcats sophomore has been playing some good basketball, which has contributed to the team’s 10-0 record and being ranked No. 7th in the country according to the latestAssociated Press poll. Hart doesn’t do anything fancy. He just works within the framework of the offense.

“The guys did a good job of finding me,” Hart said. “I took open shots. They did a great job of finding me and the ball just happened to go in.”

Hart comes off the bench to give Villanova a spark. He averages 10.1 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists a game. Hart credits his teammates for a good part of his success.

Other

16601106-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Salvation Army Receives a Special Christmas Donation (PS; Eisenstadt)

The Syracuse Salvation Army received a donation far too large to fit in one of its holiday red kettles earlier this week: A solid bar of silver.

A woman, who wanted to remain anonymous, walked into the Salvation Army office in Syracuse and handed the bar of silver to an employee. The solid bar of silver, which weighs a little less than 7 pounds, is worth between $1,500 and $1,700.

"The interaction happened so quickly and the Army employee who accepted the donation was so stunned that we wanted to properly and publicly show our gratitude for such a rare gift. This wonderful donor found it in her heart to donate to the Army at this time of the year and we are very grateful," said Captain John Luby, executive director of the CNY Region of The Salvation Army.

Luby said the generous donation will help offset lower than usual donations this holiday season.

Much thanks for the articles guys and for all the hard work from the mods and admins. All of you make this place amazing while holding the place together, with all the conflicting opinions. I appreciate all you guys and girls and Happy Holidays!

He might not be heavy on the internet, but I bet coach is aware of this forum.

I always thought JB and tee1222 were one and the same. Is that not true????

Much thanks for the articles guys and for all the hard work from the mods and admins. All of you make this place amazing while holding the place together, with all the conflicting opinions. I appreciate all you guys and girls and Happy Holidays!
I feel like we should all hold hands and sing kumbaya

Threw together a bit of a game preview: http://.com/time-for-this-nova-to-burn-out/