Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Moore Return From Back Injury to Contribute as 5th-Year Senior Guard for Colgate (DO; Pacelli)

Colgate was only one game into the 2013-14 season when guard Pat Moore injured his back while lifting weights. And it wasn’t until December that he fully felt the effects of two herniated discs.

During his time at home, even the simple actions of sitting and standing were difficult.

“Just hard to walk around,” Moore said, “hard to move, hard to do pretty much anything.”

He managed to play in eight more games after suffering the injury, but his experiences during Winter Break indicated that he couldn’t play in his current state. Two months later, he underwent surgery.

-7d32ec9770b94d3b.jpg

Syracuse Recruit Malachi Richardson Dazzles Despite Loss in Mary Kline Classic (PS; Waters)

Malachi Richardson had played a good first half.

Richardson, a 6-foot-6 senior guard at Trenton Catholic Academy, had scored 10 points on 4-for-8 shooting from the field, including a pair of 3-pointers. But Trenton Catholic trailed Imhotep (Pa.) Charter 39-32 at halftime of their game in the Mary Kline Winter Classic on Sunday.

"I knew I had to come out way more aggressive than I was in the first half,'' Richardson said. "Our guys, we didn't really have it going so I took it on myself to get us going.''

It took Richardson a while, but he finally got going. Imhotep increased its lead to 16 points midway through the third quarter. Then Richardson led Trenton Catholic back.

He scored 17 second-half points as Trenton Catholic rallied back. Richardson tied the game with a 3-point shot with 18 seconds left in the game. But Imhotep's DeAnte Robinson made one free throw with 12 seconds remaining to get the lead back.

Everyone in the packed stands at Archbishop Wood High School knew Richardson, the Syracuse University signee, would get the ball.

After a timeout with 6.7 seconds left, Richardson got the ball at the top of the key, drove to his right and got fouled.

SU Recruit Moustapha Diagne (PS; Video; Nett)

Syracuse basketball recruit Moustapha Diagne at the Mary Kline Winter Classic

Clearly an offensive foul. Kaleb's groin ran into Archie's knee. ;)

kaleb-vs-arcidijpg-e46a95efe36a1234.jpg

This is how you have to play when you shoot 29 percent from the field and 20 percent from 3. He's got no skill so he has to 'cheat'.

Long live college hoops rivalries (ESPN)

Scheduling is complicated, no doubt, but coaches can make a choice. Even when Villanova played in the 16-team Big East, Jay Wright somehow managed to schedule four Big 5 games annually.

"We don't thank our rivals enough," Wright said after his Wildcats beat the Orange on Saturday. "Syracuse comes in and this place is rockin'. Now I don't like it when they've got the lead and they're chanting, 'Let's go Orange,' but it's an incredible atmosphere. ... This game is as important as a Big East game. It's about Northeast basketball and it's a great rivalry and I appreciate them keeping it alive."..

Actor John C. McGinley, a former Syracuse University student, still bleeds Orange (PS)

16624481-mmmain.jpg

"We are both @SYRACUSEpeeps And proud of it!" he tweeted after the alumni connection was pointed out. "Hayes McGinley is up at SU right now, playing Lax!"

Hayes McGinley is the actor's nephew, a redshirt freshman on the Syracuse lacrosse team. The midfielder was ranked No. 61 by Inside Lacrosse in the fall of 2013, but missed this past season due to a shoulder injury; he's expected to be part of a "loaded" roster for the Orange in 2015.