Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

JosephMiamij1.jpg

It's Possible SU Basketball Could Miss Postseason Play Altogether (sujuiceonline.com; Goodman)

At this point the expectations are so diminished for the Syracuse basketball squad, I’d be beyond cliché if this column simply harped on the Orange’s odds of missing the NCAA tournament. Allow me to take it a step further- this just might be the absolute worst team Jim Boeheim has ever had, and they’ll be lucky to make the NIT.

Don’t get me wrong: I like this team. I really do. It’s been a joy to watch Rakeem Christmas become what we always dreamed he could be, and probably didn’t think he ever actually would be. The fact that he’s putting up 19 and 9 every night and heading for the NBA lottery, out of relative obscurity, has been a revelation.

I also enjoy following the ups and down of Trevor Cooney, his shooting peaks and valleys and total lack of anything resembling a conscience. I believe that he, and the rest of the Orange, play as hard as they can every night, and might even provide some upset specials in late February and early March.

ACC News

16883887-mmmain.jpg

ACC Hoops Night in Review: ND Erases 10 Point Deficit to Upend Duke (PS; Stevens)

Jerian Grant and Notre Dame collected another big victory.

N.C. State and (especially) Miami suffered puzzling losses.

Georgia Tech got on the board in conference play.

That, plus a look ahead to a busy Saturday, in the ACC night in review.

NIGHT TO REMEMBER

Jerian Grant, Notre Dame

The senior was in the middle of nearly everything in the Fighting Irish's 77-73 defeat of Duke. He scored 23 points and added six rebounds, 12 assists, three steals and two blocks as Notre Dame (20-2, 8-1 ACC) beat the Blue Devils (17-3, 4-3) for the second consecutive season in South Bend.

Between his scoring and his assists (which led to 28 points), Grant played a role in nearly two-thirds of the Irish's points. He was one of four players in double figures for Notre Dame, which added yet another solid victory to its overall profile.

NIGHT TO FORGET

Miami

What a stinker put up by the Hurricanes (14-6, 4-3), who can stake a claim to being the ACC's most volatile team after losing 70-50 at home to Georgia Tech.

Other

CNY HS Game of the Year Pits Westhill Against Henninger at OCC's Allyn Hall Gym Saturday (PS; Webb)

The biggest Section III high school boys basketball game of the season is on Saturday at Onondaga Community College.

But instead of being played at SRC Arena, the game between No. 1 Class B state-ranked Westhill and No. 17 Class AA state-ranked Henninger will be played inside the cozy Allyn Hall Gymnasium next door.

Game time is 3 p.m. Tickets are $3.

Westhill (14-1) and Henninger (12-1) are the top two ranked boys team in syracuse.com's weekly media polls. Westhill is the defending Class B state champ and is No. 1 in the small school poll. Henninger is No. 1 in the large school poll.

Westhill played Bishop Ludden a year ago at Allyn Hall Gymnasium in a match-up of two No. 1 ranked teams in syracuse.com's weekly media poll. Fears of it not being big enough to handle the crowd were unfounded. The gym was packed, but that added to the tremendous atmosphere surrounding the game.