Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

16866052-mmmain.jpg

Trevor Cooney Chases 25 Year Old ACC Record (PS; Waters)

Through his team's first eight ACC games, Syracuse's Trevor Cooney is averaging more minutes than there are in a regulation game, but he's still running slightly behind the ACC's all-time record for minutes played.

In the 1989-90 season, Georgia Tech's Dennis Scott averaged 40.3 minutes per game in ACC play. Scott was named the ACC's Player of the Year that season.

Cooney, SU's junior guard, currently leads the ACC at 40.1 minutes in conference games.

In order to break Scott's record, Cooney (or any player) will have to play in several overtime games. In 1990, Scott played in two overtime games, although one of those was a double-overtime game against North Carolina State. In Georgia Tech's 14 ACC games that year, Scott played 564 out of a possible 575 minutes.

In Syracuse's first eight ACC games, Cooney has played in one overtime contest, a win over Wake Forest. Cooney has played 321 out of a possible 325 minutes in Syracuse's eight ACC games.

Cooney isn't the only ACC player chasing Scott's 25-year-old record.

Cooney's teammate Michael Gbinije and Notre Dame's Jerian Grant are right behind Cooney. Grant, Notre Dame's junior guard, has averaged 40.0 minutes in the Irish's nine conference games. Notre Dame has already played an overtime game against N.C. State and a double-overtime game against Miami. Gbinije, a junior small forward, is third in the conference at 39.25 minutes per game in league play.

Syracuse's Perimeter Defense Struggling as Break Comes (fresnobee.com; Kekis)

Syracuse has a week off to recuperate after a six-game stretch in 15 days.

That's good timing for a team in a slump with the gauntlet of the final six weeks of its Atlantic Coast Conference season looming.

Time to shore up the perimeter, and a little extra rest certainly can't hurt. Before season's end, the Orange (14-7, 5-3 ACC) have five games against four teams currently ranked in the top 10: Louisville and Virginia at home, Notre Dame on the road, and a home-and-home with Duke.

And three of them shoot lights-out from long range.

Notre Dame leads the conference in 3-point shooting at 40 percent, Virginia (39.5) is second and Duke fourth (37.4).

Attacking Jim Boeheim's signature zone defense from outside has worked well for several foes this season. The Orange (14-7, 5-3 ACC) was leading the conference in early league action in 3-point percentage defense (28.9 percent), but has since dropped to sixth (30.2) after allowing its past four opponents to make 37 of 94 shots from long range. That's an accuracy rate of just under 40 percent, and Syracuse lost three of those games.

ACC News

16888971-mmmain.jpg

Rasheed Sulaimon Kicked off Duke Team After Running Out of Chances to Clean Up His Act (PS; Domin)

Rasheed Sulaimon has been kicked off the Duke men's basketball team, the school announced on Thursday.

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement. "It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program."

The school also said that Sulaimon "remains in good academic standing and is expected to finish the spring semester."

He's the first player ever kicked off a Duke team by Krzyzewski, according to the News & Observer.

Sulaimon, a junior guard, was averaging 7.5 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game this season.

Other

-efaa23f36127e92f.jpg

How Can SU Women's Basketball Improve Attendance? One Fan's Suggestions: (PS; Axe)

Ken Black's suggestions on how to improve attendance at SU women's basketball games

1. Bring in girls' junior high and high school basketball teams for weekend home games.

How about selling discounted tickets to school districts and set up a busing agreement to get them to games? There are a lot of girls playing in Central New York and watching players like Brianna Butler, Brittney Sykes, Briana Day and Isabella Slim gives them players to look up to, just like I looked up to Roosevelt Bouie and Louis Orr when I was in junior high.

2. Partner with senior residence organizations, churches and other community groups to invite them to games. If memory serves, I think UConn did this back in the '90s to drum up support for their women's programs.

3. Have a "corporate sponsor night" for home games during the week. When I worked at Carrier, they did this and we had a raffle at work for seats in the Carrier luxury box. Why not do the same with other companies?

4. More radio and television spots to invite the public to games.

5. Encourage more local media interviews with Coach Hillsman and the players.

6. Promote the players. Talk about Butler's ability to hit the 3 from anywhere on the court, chat up that Day is a "double-double shot blocking machine," and brag about Sykes' leaping ability (she used to jump center at 5-9 to start games before her knee injury).

7. If they want to get a big crowd for a game next season, try and schedule UConn at the Carrier Dome. Bring (CNS grad and UConn star) Breanna Stewart home for a game!"

Yesterday marked the 12th anniversary of "The Herve Lamizana Shot" against Syracuse. I decided to write a little bit about it, and what came next: http://.com/the-bank-is-open-the-herve-lamizana-shot/

Reactions: cto
Yesterday marked the 12th anniversary of "The Herve Lamizana Shot" against Syracuse. I decided to write a little bit about it, and what came next: http://.com/the-bank-is-open-the-herve-lamizana-shot/
Great article, Jeff. I remember that shot like it was yesterday (along with the triple court=storming and everything else that happened that season).

Decided to come up with a weekend viewing guide: http://.com/weekend-viewing-guide-130-21/

Great article, Jeff. I remember that shot like it was yesterday (along with the triple court=storming and everything else that happened that season).
Thanks, Joyce! I was scouring YouTube but couldn't find the infamous Jeremy McNeil quote after the Pitt game.