Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

IMG_00232.jpg

SU Still Has Much to Play For After Getting Short End of the Stick (DO: Dougherty)

When Syracuse limped off the floor of the Petersen Events Center on Saturday evening, another loss had hardened the following prevailing logic:

It’s a good year to self-impose a postseason ban because the Orange isn’t going to make the NCAA Tournament either way.

And after falling to Pittsburgh (16-8, 5-5 Atlantic Coast), 83-77, with the toughest part of its schedule still ahead, SU (15-8, 6-4) has eight games left to win for itself and prove that theory wrong. With the dust settled on the self-imposed postseason ban — don’t get too comfortable, dust — the Orange now has eight more games to prove itself a victim of the circumstances instead of a handy administrative chess piece.

If SU continues to lose, slapping a postseason ban on this season will be harmless compared to doing so in almost any other year. But if it plays for pride and stockpiles wins, the record will show that the season wasn’t always bound to be a wash.

It’s hard to look past the fact that SU inappropriately announced the ban on football national signing day — a day Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said is “about the kids” — that this year’s team isn’t to blame for past discretions and that Rakeem Christmas, the team’s leading scorer and only scholarship senior, has played his last postseason game.

16969334-mmmain.jpg

Will Any Former SU Basketball Players Make the NBA Playoffs? (PS; Murray)

The New York Knicks are terrible. The Los Angeles Lakers stink. The Philadelphia 76ers are lousy.

Those teams have three of the four worst records in the NBA this season.

That means that four of the six former Syracuse players in the NBA right now don't have any chance of playing in the postseason.

Carmelo Anthony will miss the playoffs for the second straight year while Michael Carter-Williams, Jerami Grant and Wesley Johnson will still be seeking their first postseason appearances.

Dion Waiters with the Oklahoma City Thunder and Tyler Ennis with the Phoenix Suns have the only realistic shot at the NBA's second season.

Phoenix is currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the West while Oklahoma City is two games behind the Suns.

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU
Boeheim: Thought we played well at Pittsburgh. They just made some shots at the end of the game. I thought it was a very good effort for us.

Boeheim on XMas: He's been great from the first day of practice, he's done all you can ask a player to do. He's playing 40 minutes a game.

Boeheim on XMas: That's really hard to ask a big guy to do. You can't ask anymore out of a big guy than what he's done for us."

Boeheim on motivation: Well there's 250 teams that don't go to a tournament at the end of the year. You have to be focused to play.

Boeheim on how he'll know when to retire: I don't know. I have no real answer. Whatever work you're in, 15 years ago, I wouldn't have thought I'd go much longer. Some day it'll occur to you that you just can't do it anymore. I don't know when that point comes."

Boeheim: I enjoy the process of coaching a team as much or more as I ever have.

Donna Ditota ‏@DonnaDitota1
Jim Boeheim just called Olivier Hanlan "probably the best guard in the league."

Jim Boeheim on Dean Smith: He's one of the great, great coaches of all time. Really established one of the top bball programs in country.

Boeheim called Dean Smith "innovative" and "a giant in the game."

Jim Boeheim on longevity, retiring: "I don't know. That's a good question. I don't have the answer."

Jim Boeheim: If you feel it's right, you keep going. At one point, you won't be able to do it any more. I don't know when that point comes.

Jim Boeheim: Coaching has been a great challenge. It always has been. And it still is.

Last edited:
Some tongue firmly planted in cheek, since this is a phrase we've all used (satire ahead): http://.com/college-sports-fan-cant-wait-for-whatever-season-is-next/