Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17020372-mmmain.jpg

Coach K Says Syracuse v. Duke is Already a Great Rivalry (PS; Poliquin)

After it was over, after the 35,446 ranters in the house had clammed up and then bundled up for their snowy trip home, it was left to Mike Krzyzewski on Saturday night to put his imprimatur on what had just been witnessed inside the Carrier Dome.

• Box score

No, this latest Syracuse-Duke contest hadn't been an epic. It hadn't replicated the athletic Rembrandt that had been hung 54 weeks earlier in the same gray building. But it was splendid enough to have inspired the great K to correct somebody who'd gotten it wrong.

"I didn't say 'pretty good'," Krzyzewski told a fellow who'd apparently misheard. "I think it's a great rivalry."

Chase-Gaewski-1-8.jpg

Roberson Expects to Maintain Aggressiveness After 19 Point, 10 Rebound Effort Against Duke (DO; D'Abbraccio)

While Tyler Roberson continues to assert himself on the offensive end, there’s one part of his game he’s still hesitant to use — his midrange jumper.

But for the Syracuse sophomore forward, there’s a simple adjustment to make when those shots don’t fall.

“I took it a few times today and it didn’t go in,” Roberson said. “Once I knew it wasn’t really going in, I just looked to attack.”

It paid off, as Roberson set a career-high in scoring with 19 points while grabbing 10 rebounds to help the Orange (16-9, 7-5 Atlantic Coast) keep pace with No. 4 Duke (22-3, 9-3) before ultimately losing, 80-72, on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

Roberson’s role in the SU frontcourt has evolved throughout the season as a result of injuries to DaJuan Coleman and Chris McCullough. Though his production hasn’t been totally consistent, his aggression on the offensive end is on an upward spike.

g258258000000000000242d7ae744d78d9998ef9f776a948394199497e2.jpg

Road Success Giving Duke a Special Season (heraldsun.com; Wiseman)

With yet another stretch of road games behind his team and the most anticipated home game of the season up next, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski used a minute or two to take stock late Saturday night.

Krzyzewski’s No 4-ranked Blue Devils had just shook off a slow start that saw them trail by as many as 11 points in the first half at Syracuse to beat the Orange 80-72 before 35,446 people at the Carrier Dome.

The win was impressive enough in that it’s Duke’s fifth in seven ACC road games this season. But throw in the 80-70 win at Wisconsin on Dec. 3 along with neutral-court wins over Temple, Connecticut, Michigan State and Stanford and the picture becomes more complete about the season Duke is putting together.

“We’ve had a hell of a schedule,” Krzyzewski said before repeating for emphasis. “We’ve had a hell of a schedule. Coming here in front of that crowd against that team? It’s a big win for us.”

The Blue Devils (22-3 overall, 9-3 in the ACC) and, with a month to go before the NCAA Tournament’s Selection Sunday, are No. 5 in the RPI.

8532f99a4bb6729edb1d008f92f541aad2794019.jpg

Krzyzewski, Boeheim Drive 'Great Rivalry' Between Duke and Syracuse (dukechronicle.com; Ramkumar)

The Blue Devils got their first win at the Carrier Dome against Syracuse Saturday night, prompting plenty of discussion about the teams' budding rivalry after Duke's 80-72 victory.

What do you think?

But after the game, Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski was quick to point out that the Orange are hardly the only team to raise its level of play when Duke comes to town.

What do you think?

“My rivalry is with everyone because I want to beat everyone," Krzyzewski. "It’s what everyone else makes up, what the rivalries are. If we show up against one team better than another, then we’re idiots, so why would we only show up strong against our so-called rival? All that I know is we get everyone’s best shot and we’re trying to give everyone our best shot. That’s the way it’s been for 25 years for us—[it’s not] going to change.”

What do you think?

Still, when he was asked about whether or not the emotions in the building and whether or not the Blue Devils are now to Syracuse what its former Big East rival Georgetown was, Krzyzewski did acknowledge that the Orange and Duke do seem on their way to forming a unique relationship.

What do you think?

"I don’t know what we are. We’re a lot of people’s something. It’s nice to be wanted," Krzyzewski said. "For as long as [Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim] and I are coaching, it won’t be that type of rivalry because [Syracuse-Georgetown] was nasty. It’s a great rivalry because we both have built some really neat programs and it gets center stage. We’ll handle it the right way. That’s good for the league.”

ACC News

16455805-mmmain.jpg

ACC Basketball Night in Review: Miami-BC Pushed Back a Day (PS; Stevens)

Sunday night's Miami-Boston College game was moved to Monday afternoon because of weather and travel conditions in the Boston area.

Somewhat surprisingly, it is the first postponement of this season of an Eagles home game. The Boston area has been pounded by snowstorms over the last month.

Both teams will then have turnarounds of a little more than 48 hours for midweek games. Miami plays host to Virginia Tech on Wednesday, while Boston College visits Florida State the same night.

THREE WEEKS UNTIL GREENSBORO

With just three weeks until the conference tournament, it seems like a good time to look at potential pairings for the five-day event at the Greensboro Coliseum if the season were to end now. In this scenario, the winners of the first two quarterfinals listed would meet in a semifinal, as would the winners of the last two quarterfinals listed.

The tie between Louisville and North Carolina — which split two games — is at the moment decided by best win. The Tar Heels beat Syracuse, while Louisville has yet to face the Orange.

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU
Boeheim: "We did a lot of good things against Duke. They were just a little bit better than we were."

Boeheim on Louie and Bouie: They were key recruits of any group we've ever had.

Boeheim: They got our program off to a tremendous start and had a huge influence.

Boeheim: We needed a center and Roosevelt was the best center in our recruiting area. Louis was under the radar.

Boeheim: He turned out to be a great player. When he turns out to be an All-American that's pretty good. Roosevelt was the key guy.

Boeheim: He was probably one of the key recruits in our history.

Boeheim on Gbibije: He has exceeded any expectations. A lot comes from him working on his shot.

Boeheim on Gbinije: He's been a good player. He can play the 1-2-3. He's been as good an all-around player as you can find in the league."

Boeheim on Gbinije: "I can't think of anything more he could do."

Boeheim on Carrier Dome: It's the greatest place to play in the world when you have 35,000 people there.

Boeheim: When you have 35,000 people you take it for granted a little bit but it was a great night.

Boeheim on McCullough: He's had surgery. He'll be back. ... No timetable on return.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Christmas An Abdul-Jabbar Award Finalist (Cuse.com)

SPRINGFIELD, MASS. –Rakeem Christmas is one of 15 watch-list members for the 2015 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year Award. Named after Hall of Famer and three-time NCAA Champion Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the annual honor in its inaugural year recognizes the top centers in men's college basketball. The watch list of 15 candidates was determined by a national committee comprised of top college basketball personnel...

passthru_imagecredit_xmas_web3.jpg