Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
College Basketball News

17448000-mmmain.jpg

Duke Defeats Badgers as Krzyzewski Wins 5th National Title (PS; AP)

It's John Wooden and Mike Krzyzewski.

Duke's Coach K won his fifth national championship Monday night with a 68-63 victory over Wisconsin. Only Wooden, who won an incredible 10 at UCLA, is above Krzyzewski on the list of champions.

When the buzzer sounded and No. 5 was official, Krzyzewski turned toward his bench with his hands high above his head. Then came the rush of assistant coaches -- all former Duke players -- for a group hug that included jumping up and down just like the players he led to a 35-4 record.

He didn't have to run around the court looking for someone to hug like Jim Valvano did in 1983 when North Carolina State shocked the college basketball world. Players ran toward Krzyzewski and one by one they got hugs, hard hugs, the kind of hugs men give each other after a hard-fought win that meant history.

Krzyzewski was already alone at the top of the Division I victory list. In his 40 seasons -- 35 at Duke -- he has won 1,018 games. His total is the only one with a comma.

His national championships came in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010 and now 2015. He was 44 years old when he won his first. He is 68 now and only Connecticut's Jim Calhoun was older when he won a title -- his third in 2011 -- and that was by nine months.

"Two guys have distanced themselves from the rest of us -- John and Mike," Calhoun said minutes after Monday's title game. "If you're starting a Mount Rushmore of college coaches it's them. He is one hell of a coach."

-62ea9cc1c747b9f1.JPG

Breanna Stewart Set to Face Notre Dame in Women's Championship Game Rematch (PS; AP)

The women's basketball championship game will have a familiar feel to it with UConn and Notre Dame playing for a title for the second straight year.

Unlike last season's game when much of the conversation building up to the matchup of undefeated teams was about the frosty relationship between Geno Auriemma and Muffet McGraw. This year there is much friendlier attitude between the coaches and their teams, despite the rivals once again meeting on the game's biggest stage.

A win for the Huskies on Tuesday night would be a third straight title for UConn and 10th overall for Auriemma. That would tie him with UCLA men's coach John Wooden for the most all-time in college basketball.

Auriemma has a perfect record with the title on the line, winning all nine of UConn's trips to the national championship.

"This isn't something that's going to last forever," he said. "Not going to win every single championship game that we're in. If we're in some more, but up to this point, it's something that's really hard to explain. And I'm just incredibly grateful."

UConn junior Breanna Stewart has been the key two the last two titles.

The two-time AP Player of the Year saves her best games for the brightest lights. She has won outstanding player of the Final Four as a freshman and sophomore and had another great game in the semifinal win over Maryland.

Other

17446285-mmmain.jpg

Artist Apologizes for 'Scary' Lucille Ball Statue in WNY, Offers to Fix It for Free (PS; Herbert)

The man who created a "frightening" Lucille Ball statue in Western New York is apologizing for scaring "I Love Lucy" fans over the past five years.

A Facebook campaign to replace the bronze sculpture in the late comedienne's hometown of Celoron, N.Y., just outside of Jamestown, picked up thousands of supporters over the past week. "We Love Lucy! Get Rid of This Statue" criticized the likeness for, well, not looking like Ball and instead resembling a drunk zombie or monster holding a bottle of "Vitameatavegamin."

"I take full responsibility for 'Scary Lucy,' though by no means was that my intent or did I wish to disparage in any way the memories of the iconic Lucy image," the sculptor said. "From the day of its installation, I have shared my disappointment... in retrospect, it should have never been cast in bronze and made public, and I take complete ownership of that poor decision."

http://.com/today-in-orange-history-april-7-2003/

Nothing of any particular importance in Syracuse history happened 12 years ago today.

12 years... jesus, does time fly.

Hope Arinze gets some decent PT. The Timberwolves owe us at least one successful career there!

Me too. Would love to see him latch on and make it through a season as a journey type big.

Me too. Would love to see him latch on and make it through a season as a journey type big.

He played 16 minutes last night and got 6 points on 3/3 shooting with 5 rebounds so off to a solid start.