Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

image6-298x300.jpg

What If the NCAA Penalties Are Not Reduced By SU's Appeal? (sujuiceonline.com; Stechschulte)

Now that Jim Boeheim’s State of the Program Address is almost three weeks in the rearview mirror and everyone’s emotional status has been lowered to “Ugh, Duke won the national title,” it is time for a clinical look at the big question hanging over the Syracuse basketball program:

What if the NCAA penalties are not reduced by SU’s appeal?

To start, an unpleasant recap of the sentencing is necessary. The Syracuse basketball program was hit with five years of probation (as was the football program), the vacation of an reported 108 wins, the suspension of head coach Jim Boeheim for nine ACC games in the 2015-2016 season, recruiting restrictions resulting in a drop of off-campus recruiters from four to two for a two-year span, and the loss of a dozen scholarships over four years at three per year.

The first two of those penalties are, frankly, ones of minimal impact.

With an overhaul of the academic services in regard to the basketball program long since completed and the penalty lowered by the NCAA, worrying about further violations during the probation period is wasteful. With extra eyes on the program during probation, the likelihood of further infractions is just about nil.

17455732-mmmain.jpg

Arinze Onuaku Signs With Timberwolves (PS; Ditota)

The Minnesota Timberwolves signed former Syracuse University center Arinze Onuaku Tuesday for the remainder of the NBA season.

Onuaku, who had appeared in three straight D League all-star games, averaged 17.5 points and 7.8 rebounds in 41 D League games this season with the Canton Charge.

The Timberwolves signed Onuaku by using the NBA hardship exception for a 16th roster spot because four Minnesota players are out with injuries. The Timberwolves own two of the league's brightest young prospects in Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine, but are in last place in the Western Conference's Northwest Region.

Onuaku played 16 minutes in Tuesday's game at Sacramento. He scored six points on 3-of-3 shooting and collected five rebounds. The Timberwolves lost 116-111.

During a February telephone conversation, Onuaku said he had weathered some frustrating times hoping to hear from an NBA team.

"The D League is a tough league. It's a grind," Onuaku said then. "But you just gotta continue to stay consistent and hope I get a call sooner than later."

17455590-mmmain.jpg

CJ Fair Leads Mad Ants in D League Playoffs (PS; Ditota)

C.J. Fair scored 28 points and swatted away a potential game-winning shot in the closing seconds of overtime as his Fort Wayne Mad Ants defeated the Maine Red Claws Tuesday 104-103 in Game 1 of their D League first-round playoff series.

Fair's 28 points on 10-of-21 shooting tied a career high. The former Syracuse University forward added five rebounds.

On Monday, the D League named Fair the Performer of the Week after he averaged 26.5 points on 62 percent shooting and grabbed 12 rebounds in a 2-0 playoff-clinching week for the Mad Ants.

The D League playoffs consist of three rounds of best-of-three series. The Mad Ants play Game 2 Saturday at Maine. The game starts 4 p.m. and will be televised by ESPNews.

Could Auriemma Coach the SU Men's Basketball Team? Bud Thinks So (PS; Poliquin)

If you measure a player's success, not only by individual stats and the won-lost record, but by how much better he or she makes his or her teammates, the two best players in my lifetime are Bill Bradley and Diana Taurasi. And Geno is responsible for Taurasi's development.

I'd love to see what he could do with the men.

-- Ken Kosyk
Temple Terrace, Fla.

B.P.: I've been fortunate enough to have interviewed both Bradley and Taurasi in one-on-one situations, and each of them is as impressive as the other (though in different ways). Bradley, of course, is brilliant and, therefore, a challenge. And Taurasi? She was as flat-out friendly as any athlete I've encountered. And I've encountered thousands of them. As for Auriemma … if ever the idea of coaching men intrigued him, I think that ship has sailed. But, Ken, could Geno have done it? Absolutely. Unquestionably. Inarguably.

Other

NBA Championship 60 Years Ago: Coach Al Cervi Fights with Fan, Nats Teeter on the Brink (PS; Kirst)

Friday, at the War Memorial, the Syracuse Crunch will bring together the three surviving members of the Syracuse Nationals, 1955 National Basketball Association champions, in what might be the last reunion of our city's only NBA champion.

In anticipation of that gathering, we've been running excerpts of the original coverage of the championship series between the Nats and the Fort Wayne Pistons, timed to the actual dates of the games. A note of thanks to Johnathan Croyle, our librarian, for helping to pull all this together.

Today: For Syracuse, who'd been beaten in the NBA finals in 1950 and 1954, it all seems too familiar ... A third straight defeat on the road puts the Nats in a desperate 3-2 hole, as they come home for the last two games. This loss is especially tumultuous (and emblematic of the NBA of that era); it ends with Fort Wayne spectators on the court; one attacks Al Cervi, coach of the Nationals - probably not the wisest choice for the fan.

To give his players a decent night's rest, Syracuse team president Danny Biasone sends them home on a plane, rather than by train - a key decision, considering what will happen in Syracuse. A celebratory parade awaiting the team is canceled, because of the solemnity of Good Friday - but few were in a mood for any party with the Nats on the brink of going out, once again.

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/inde...e_dame_ncaa_championship_breanna_stewart.html

Breanna Stewart of CNS Leads UConn Women to Third Straight Title (PS; AP)

Geno Auriemma and his UConn Huskies are a perfect 10.

The Hall of Fame coach joined some elite company in UCLA's John Wooden after tying the Wizard of Westwood with his 10th NCAA Tournament title.

"Obviously it's a very significant number because that's the number that's been out there and people want to talk about it. I'll be the first to say I'm not John Wooden and I got a bunch of friends who'd tell you I'm right, I'm not," Auriemma said. "As I said the other day I just think what we've done here in the last 20 years is pretty remarkable in its own right.

"I'll let the people who write the history decide where I fit in."

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Moriah Jefferson each scored 15 points Tuesday night to lead the Huskies to a 63-53 victory over Notre Dame. It was UConn's third straight title; Auriemma and the Huskies have won all 10 of their trips to the national championship game.

Cicero-North Syracuse graduate Breanna Stewart added 15 rebounds and eight points for UConn (38-1). The two-time AP Player of the Year has saved her best games for the brightest lights.

She earned most outstanding player of the Final Four honors for the third time, making her the first woman ever to achieve that. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was the only men's player to do it when he played for Wooden's Bruins.

Last edited:
Gary Parrish is still saying that Kentucky was the best team. They only lost because it was one and done. :crazy:

Well, SU was not the best team in the 2003 tournament.

That was a unique tone that Carlson took with this article.
Indeed.

I wonder what drove it?

My breakdown of causes/odds:

Mushrooms 30%
Lost a bet 25%
Hacked by the Russians 23%
Demon beer 22%

UK was the third best team this year. Parrish needs to put down thee crack pipe.