Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
image00_1.jpg

Welcome to National Comic Book Day!

It's National Comic Book Day! These creative and inventive books have been entertaining children and adults alike for more than 200 years!

While comic books have quite a storied history, they reached massive popularity in the late 1930s. By the mid 1940s, comic books were outselling traditional books. From Spider-Man to Batman to Superman, we all know a little something about these sketched panel books.

To celebrate National Comic Book Day, take a few minutes to catch up on your favorite comic or watch a movie based on your favorite series!

SU News

-7fbab62baa897b50.jpg

SU Hoops Big Questions: is Frosh Forward Tyler Lydon Ready? (PS; Waters)

The rave reviews poured in like a bunch of cynical critics who had just seen "Les Miserables" for the first time.

Tyler Lydon, a 6-foot-8 incoming freshman, had impressed the most skeptical of critics. Former players.

In pickup games at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center this past summer, Lydon caught the attention of several former Syracuse players.

"Tyler Lydon, if he gets stronger, he can be one-and-done or two-and-done," said Terrence Roberts. "He is a gem. A gem. He can shoot the ball from the college 3. He can shoot the mid-range like clockwork. He can jump like I did as a freshman, but with more control. When we got out on the court, I was like, 'Who is this?' I thought he was a walk-on.''

Last season
Lydon averaged approximately 14 points and nine rebounds per game at New Hampton (N.H.) School last year. Whereas many 6-foot-8 high school players would have been forced to play center, Lydon was able to prep for college by playing on the wing at New Hampton.

He made the New England Prep School Athletic Council's (NEPSAC) first-team all-conference.

This season
Whether or not Lydon starts, he will play. A lot. Not just because he's good (he is), but also because he's so versatile.

He could be the small forward in a lineup with returning power forward Tyler Roberson and junior center Dajuan Coleman. He could be a stretch four in a smaller lineup. And it's possible that he could become the center when SU coach Jim Boeheim decides to go with a three-forward look.

Wherever he plays, Lydon will change the look of the Orange. He's an athletic 6-foot-8 forward who can nail the three. That's why he gets compared so often to Chandler Parsons of the Dallas Mavericks.

GettyImages-461503578.0.jpg

JB Talks SU Hoops, Kiss Cam and His New Dorm (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Jim Boeheim emerged from ground today to take part in the unveiling of a six-story, 54-apartment building on University Avenue that will be the new home to 163 Syracuse Orangestudents when completed. The SU coach is a partner in the project, which will include lots of Boeheim-y touches.

The project will feature a Jim Boeheim Hall of Fame room stocked with memorabilia. Boeheim joked that he might contribute his mothballed game jersey or the famous flamboyant national championship hat. Designers are considering ways to include a television that loops historic Orange basketball games. A logo of the apartment building will be made from repurposed Carrier Dome flooring. The project is expected to be completed by June of next year and be ready for student occupancy in August.

So it's kinda like living in the Planet Hollywood of SU dorms?

While there, Boeheim met with reporters and spoke about all of the usual topics he discusses, including Syracuse basketball and his impending retirement. Oh and we finally know where he stands on The Great Kiss Cam Controversy.

On Retirement:

"I only go one year at a time. I look at this year and this might be the last year. You never know in coaching. I look at each year as a separate entity. Let's put everything we've got into this year and get as much as we can accomplish done this year. That's the way I've always coached. There's been no difference between year 1, 10 and year 40."

Anyone who has covered Boeheim for at least a couple seasons will tell you he says this every year.

Other

-f57d603a129afd65.jpg

Seattle Storm Win WNBA Lottery, Plan to Take CNS C Breanna Stewart (PS; AP)

The last time the Seattle Storm drafted No. 1 overall in two straight WNBA drafts, they chose Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird, beginning an era that included 10 straight playoff appearances and two WNBA titles.

Storm coach Jenny Boucek is hoping for similar success after winning the WBNA lottery for second consecutive year Thursday night. She confirmed the team plans to use the top pick to take UConn star Breanna Stewart and pair her with this season's Rookie of the Year, Jewell Lloyd.

"Young players that can grow together ... is a chance for something really special to take place before all of our very eyes," Boucek said.

The 6-foot-4 Stewart, a Cicero-North Syracuse graduate who can play all five spots on the floor, led the Huskies to three consecutive national titles and was the national player of the year for two consecutive seasons.

She joked this week that she was torn between watching the lottery, or the season premiere of the ABC show "Grey's Anatomy," but was excited by the chance to change the fortunes of a WNBA franchise.

"Wherever I end up going, I hope I provide some extra spark into that arena, to that program," Stewart said. "I'll be lucky wherever I end up."

In Seattle, she also would be reunited with former UConn star Kaleena Mosquada-Lewis, with whom she won all three of her national titles and would play with another former Husky great in Bird.

Last edited:

I have so many questions/comments about this picture, including:
1. Is Hopkins wearing a neck brace?
2. I thought Malone was taller.
3. How did Christian White get that prime spot in the picture?
4. Did LSU ever play SU at the Dome? (I seriously doubt SU ever played one of Malone's Louisiana Tech teams); I'm trying to think if there's been a time that SU ever faced LSU.

I have so many questions/comments about this picture, including:
1. Is Hopkins wearing a neck brace?
2. I thought Malone was taller.
3. How did Christian White get that prime spot in the picture?
4. Did LSU ever play SU at the Dome? (I seriously doubt SU ever played one of Malone's Louisiana Tech teams); I'm trying to think if there's been a time that SU ever faced LSU.
Yes, he hurt his neck bodysurfing.
That is not Christian White.
And Malone's La. Tech team did play in the dome.

From the article:
"On meeting Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim:
"We kind of have a hidden rule. I would never tell you what we discussed, I would just say Coach is one of my all-time favorites. Love the man and the person, coaching 40-some years, so I won't tell you what we discussed, but I'll say I'm looking forward to coming back up and spending some time with him."