Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-nachos-day-november-6.png

Welcome to National Nachos Day!

It’s finally National Nachos Day! Nachos are a popular Mexican dish that can be served as a snack, appetizer, or main course. The perfect recipe for nachos includes a huge plate of stacked tortilla chips topped with lots of melted cheese, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, and guacamole!

Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Mexico. One night in 1943, the wives of ten U.S. soldiers stationed at Fort Duncan arrived at a restaurant called Victory Club after it had already closed for the evening. Restaurant employee Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya quickly put together what he had left in the kitchen for the women, and called the dish "Nachos Especiales." Word about this tasty treat quickly spread throughout Mexico and Texas. Anaya went on to open his own nacho restaurant and his original nacho recipe was printed in St. Anne's Cookbook in 1954.

Celebrate National Nachos Day by having a big plate stacked high with delicious nachos. Bake your own version or head to your local Mexican restaurant. Enjoy!

SU News

cb744574688ca231860f6a706700858e-Le%20Moyne%20Syracuse%20Basketball-387x450.jpeg

Once Again, SU Basketball Faces Brutal Stretch to Close ACC Schedule (thejuice; Auger)

One week from tonight, the Syracuse Orange begins its annual trek on the road to March Madness. It does so in only its third campaign as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

And while Jim Boeheim might still be scoping out the location of any and all Denny’s in the Clemson area, it’s not like Syracuse is a new arrival on the college hoops landscape. Yet for some reason, the kind ACC folks who determine the league schedule seem to be treating the Orange as such.

In Syracuse’s first season in the ACC, it closed the year with four of five on the road; at Duke (the JB jacket game), at Maryland (48 hours later), at Virginia, a home finale versus Georgia Tech followed by another road game at Florida State. After storming out of the gate with 25 straight wins, Syracuse sputtered down the stretch with a 2-3 mark in those five games.

Last year the Orange played three of its final four on the road; at Notre Dame, at Duke, versus Virginia and at NC State. The Orange beat the Irish but was then blown out by Duke, didn’t even break 50 points in a loss to the Cavs and was run off the court by NC State in game that wasn’t as close at the final 14-point margin. The three games prior to that stretch were all home games over an eight day span; Duke, Louisville and Pitt. Syracuse went 1-2 with the lone win coming against Louisville.

PearlWashington.jpg

Syracuse All-Star Teams by State (orangehoops.com)

Syracuse Orange basketball has drawn players from 29 states; 14 of those states they have drawn 5 or more players, thus enough to form a basketball team. If you were to form a tournament playing those teams, which would be the best?

New York, by far, has the most players to draw from, with 344 players. The backcourt would be led by the dynamic Pearl Washington, and Greg Kohls would be his long range shooter by his side. John Wallace would carry the front line of the team, with Roosevelt Bouie the big man in the middle, and th century, Vic Hanson, would also be on the team.
Rudy Hackett on the other side. Adrian Autry could back up the Pearl at the point, or play the two guard, as could Dennis DuVal. The versatile Dale Shackleford would be a key reserve, and Danny Schayes would back up Bouie. Billy Gabor, Jonny Flynn… a lot of guard talent. More sharpshooters like Andy Rautins and Marty Headd. And of course, the greatest player from the first half of the 20

The All New Jersey team (44 players) would be a decent squad. The backcourt would have Tyler Ennis and Dion Waiters, the forwards would be Rafael Addison and Keith Hughes, and Rick Dean would man the center position. There would be some depth in the backcourt with 50’s stars Jack Kiley and Ed Goldberg, along with forward Terrence Roberts. Newcomer Malachi Richardson may bring some excitement to the line.

The Pennsylvania team (43 players) would be led by Billy Owens at forward. Scoop Jardine and Gerry McNamara in the backcourt; Hakeem Warrick would lock down the other forward position and Rakeem Christmas would man the center position. Rick Jackson would be a versatile backup forward and center on the squad, and Tom Green the backup guard. If you could stop Scoop from having his Scoop moments, this would be quite a team. The front court of Owens-Warrick-Christmas would be a fantastic combination, and to have Rick Jackson as a reserve is just fantastic.

The Massachusetts team (23 players) star would be Michael Carter-Williams. Kaleb Joseph would join him in the backcourt. Paul Harris would play one forward and James Southerland the other. Center would be tough to fill with probably Tom Stundis and Peter Wynne having to rotate the position. The Massachusetts team would have a tough time scoring with Southerland the only true shooter on the team, and no real size in the front court.

No, The 2-3 Zone Isn't Preventing Syracuse Players From Having NBA Success (TNIAAM; Burke)

The theory is that since man-to-man defense dominates the NBA, Boeheim's zone doesn't properly prepare its players for the league. Here's why that's wrong.

Sometime after Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim adopted the 2-3 zone as his full-time defensive scheme in the mid-1990s, a belief was born that playing the zone damages players' NBA potential.

The theory is that since man-to-man is the NBA's most frequently played defense, Boeheim's zone doesn't properly prepare its players for the league. Supporting the theory is the idea that Syracuse players aren't successful in the NBA, which isn't necessarily untrue. But it's not because of the 2-3 zone.

Let's start with this: in terms of being a hotbed for talent, Syracuse isn't Kentucky. Nor is it Duke, Kansas or North Carolina, other schools that have routinely produced more successful NBA players than SU has.

According to 247Sports, Syracuse has had just four top 10 recruiting classes since 2003, when 247Sports began ranking recruiting classes. In that same span, Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina have each had at least seven such classes. Kansas has had six.

Meanwhile, since 2002 Syracuse has been ranked in the top 10 of the preseason USA Today coaches poll only five times. Kentucky and North Carolina have each been ranked in the poll's top 10 nine times in that span. Duke and Kansas have been even better; the Blue Devils have been ranked there on 10 separate occasions, while Kansas has received the honor 11 times.

Other

-f4a0dbc760e96016.jpg

Record Warm November in CNY: 5 Fun Facts (PS; Coin)

Yes, we've been basking in a crazy warm November in Central New York. Here's just how warm it's been.

1. The first five days of November were the warmest such period on record. The average high temperature since Sunday has been 68.6 degrees. The previous record for the first five days of November was 67.8, set in 1977.

2. Syracuse tied the high temperature record for the date on Wednesday, andbroke Thursday's. We might tie or break today's record of 75. If so, that would be the first time since May 2001 with three consecutive daily records.

3. It's this warm, and we have only 10 hours of sunlight these days. That's the same amount we get in early February. A high pressure system off the Atlantic coast is drawing warm southern breezes our way.

4. As warm as this November feels, it's really not that unusual. "It is just as likely to be very warm in November now as it was 100 years ago," according to an analysis by Finger Lakes Weather.

5. This is the National Weather Service's official Winter Weather Awareness Week. Timing is everything.

Tom, thank you for all your hard work! But tell me, please, where do you come up with all these items like "National Nachos Day?" Is that a thing? I have to admit I was most delighted to find out that either October or November was National Cat Month. I passed that around in a hurry, let me tell you!

Won't you be glad when the basketball stories come rolling in like a long-awaited wave to the shore? I liked The Juice's conspiracy theory story about how our schedule is stacked against us in the ACC. I would strongly guess that all the teams in the ACC feel that way.

Tom, thank you for all your hard work! But tell me, please, where do you come up with all these items like "National Nachos Day?" Is that a thing? I have to admit I was most delighted to find out that either October or November was National Cat Month. I passed that around in a hurry, let me tell you!

Won't you be glad when the basketball stories come rolling in like a long-awaited wave to the shore? I liked The Juice's conspiracy theory story about how our schedule is stacked against us in the ACC. I would strongly guess that all the teams in the ACC feel that way.

You are welcome.

Checkiday.com

Note that May 6th is International Tuba Day. That is going to be a wild day on syracusefan.com, let me tell you!

I will be glad when the basketball stories get rolling a bit more. OrangeXtreme and CuseLegacy do such a good time during the day and night, it is sometimes very hard to find a crumb or two that they missed. They are very good at what they do...

You are welcome.

Checkiday.com

Note that May 6th is International Tuba Day. That is going to be a wild day on syracusefan.com, let me tell you!

I will be glad when the basketball stories get rolling a bit more. OrangeXtreme and CuseLegacy do such a good time during the day and night, it is sometimes very hard to find a crumb or two that they missed. They are very good at what they do...

Thanks Tom, but I think OrangeXtreme is more deserving of that praise. He is such a night owl. ;)

Washington D.C. backcourt: Sherman Douglas and Dave Bing. Add 3 tall cheer leaders and this team still might win.