Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
shutterstock_1595267661-970x546.jpg

Welcome to Cyber Monday...

Cyber Monday is a marketing term for the Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday in theUnited States. The term "Cyber Monday" was created by marketing companies to persuade people to shop online. The term was coined by Ellen Davis and made its debut on November 28, 2005 in a Shop.org press release entitled "'Cyber Monday Quickly Becoming One of the Biggest Online Shopping Days of the Year".[2]

According to the Shop.org/Bizrate Research 2005 eHoliday Mood Study, "77 percent of online retailers said that their sales increased substantially on the Monday after Thanksgiving, a trend that is driving serious online discounts and promotions on Cyber Monday this year (2005)".

In 2014, Cyber Monday online sales grew to a record $2.68 billion, compared with last year's $2.29 billion. However, the average order value was $124, down slightly from 2013's $128.[3]

The deals on Cyber Monday are online-only and generally offered by smaller retailers that cannot compete with the big retailers. Black Friday generally offers better deals on technology, with nearly 85% more data storage deals than Cyber Monday. The past Black Fridays saw far more deals for small appliances, cutlery, and kitchen gadgets on average than Cyber Monday. Cyber Monday is larger for fashion retail. On the past two Cyber Mondays, there were an average of 45% more clothing deals than on Black Friday. There were also 50% more shoe deals on Cyber Monday than on Black Friday.[4]

Cyber Monday has become an international marketing term used by online retailers across the world.

SU News

usa-today-8955022.0.jpg

Post Atlantis Roundtable (TNIAAM; Staff)

We'll usually do this on Fridays, but the Battle 4 Atlantis and Thanksgiving threw us off. Anyway, read below for our thoughts on Syracuse after the Battle 4 Atlantis.

As you know by now, the Syracuse Orange captured the Battle 4 Atlantis title last week by toppingCharlotte, Connecticut and Texas A&M in consecutive days. That came as a surprise to many, so let's get to discussing the Orange, who are now 6-0 and welcomeWisconsin to the Carrier Dome on Wednesday.

In your view, did Syracuse overachieve en route to winning the Battle 4 Atlantis? Or is this a team that can consistently compete with/beat some of the country's best teams?
Sean Keeley: If they did overachieve that's probably only because of the expectations we put on them. This is who they always were and the fact is they're a better team than people thought they'd be. Now, if you re-play the UConn game and the TAMU game again, I can't say SU wins all the time, but the fact that they were in the position they were in and that they did pull out both in the end says a lot. Still a long way to go but I think we can officially up the expectations for this squad (and Tyler Lydon specifically).

Michael Burke: I don't think Syracuse necessarily overachieved. Of course, like Sean hinted at, that doesn't mean the Orange were definitively the best team in the field. But it's clear that they weren't overmatched against Connecticut and Texas A&M, as I expected they might be. SU will almost certainly be ranked when the next polls are released, and deservedly so.

Kevin Wall: I'm going to call it a pleasant surprise. It didn't surprise me that Syracuse was competitive, but it did surprise me that this team held off two talented teams that were playing very well before facing the Orange. It was also a bit surprising to see a Syracuse team which struggled rebounding against Lehigh, handle business inside against bigger opponents.

zak-showalter-isaiah-cousins-ncaa-basketball-wisconsin-oklahoma-850x560.jpg

Wisconsin Basketball Cold in 65-48 Loss to #7 Oklahoma (badgeofhonor.com; Oxley)

The Wisconsin basketball team struggled on the road in a 65-48 loss to the Oklahoma Sooners

The Wisconsin basketball team picked a bad time to go cold shooting when they hit the road Sunday against the No. 7 Oklahoma Sooners. Wisconsin shot just 23.5 percent from the field, and just 21.2 percent from three-point range on the way to a 65-48 loss.

The Badgers (4-3) had their worst offensive showing of the season against Oklahoma, scoring less than 60 points for the first time on the season. Wisconsin hit just 16 field goals in the game, and added a 9-of-13 performance from the free throw line.

The Badgers were led by a big game from Nigel Hayes, who recorded a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds, adding four assists and a block. Hayes shot 5-of-17 on the night, and was the only Badgers player in double-digit scoring.

Bronson Koenig scored 9 points shooting an abysmal 3-of-14 from three-point range. Vitto Brown scored 6 points and added 9 rebounds, Ethan Happ added 5 points and 7 rebounds, and Zak Showalter scored 3 points, adding 4 rebounds. Freshman Khalil Iversonscored 5 points off of the bench.

The bright spot for the Badgers on defense was the performance againstBuddy Hield, who was averaging over 25 points per game. Wisconsin held the senior guard to just 12 points, but allowed Ryan Spangler to score 10 points in the loss.

Other

-7a561325145df366.JPG

A Night with the Syracuse Fire Department: The Frat House that Saves Lives (PS; Pucci)

An elderly woman's blood splashed across Syracuse Fire Capt. Karl Field's face.

Field was called to perform CPR on the woman. She had blood in her trachea. One of his compressions splashed a stream of blood onto himself.

"You don't want to mix their wet stuff with your wet stuff," he said.

Thus began a one-month-long drug cocktail regimen and frequent blood testing until Field was ruled clean and disease-free. He couldn't have relations with his wife for three months.

That life-altering experience earlier this year stays with Field each time his three-person squad responds to a call. Squad 1 goes out to every major trauma in the city, including shootings, stabbings, full cardiac arrest and drug overdoses. Every time he goes out, he knows it could happen again.

"An infectious disease you can bring home," Field said. "You can't bring a structure fire home to your family."

Squad 1 is one of the department's most versatile crews. Squad can respond to any emergency in the city, regardless of area. At a house fire, its job is to cut a 4-foot-by-4-foot hole in the roof to provide an escape for fire, smoke and heat. It's also responsible for Ladder 1, the fire engine equipped with a 135-foot-long ladder that can scale a building more than six stories tall.

The squad can also be called upon to extricate people from crashed cars.

When not saving lives, the crew can find itself doing the unusual. Have a ring on your finger you need cut off? Squad has you covered.

CBS had Cuse debut at #13

Pretty impressive to go from no votes to #13 in a week
Yes, I did know that and was quite surprised! But don't the Coach's and Writer's polls come out this morning?

Yes, I did know that and was quite surprised! But don't the Coach's and Writer's polls come out this morning?
typically they are released a bit later. Usually the Coaches poll comes out around 1 PM and the Writers Poll a bit later (2 or so)

typically they are released a bit later. Usually the Coaches poll comes out around 1 PM and the Writers Poll a bit later (2 or so)
Thanks, Flacusian and OrangeXtreme. I thought it would be earlier.