Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Picture+1.png

Welcome to International Mountain Day!

Covering around 22 percent of the earth’s land surface, mountains play a critical role in moving the world towards sustainable economic growth. They not only provide sustenance and wellbeing to 915 million mountain people around the world, representing 13 percent of global population, but indirectly benefit billions more living downstream.

In particular, mountains provide freshwater, energy and food – resources that will be increasingly scarce in coming decades. However, mountains also have a high incidence of poverty and are extremely vulnerable to climate change, deforestation, land degradation and natural disasters. In fact, 1 out of 3 mountain people in developing countries is vulnerable to food insecurity and faces poverty and isolation.

The challenge is to identify new and sustainable opportunities that can bring benefits to both highland and lowland communities and help to eradicate poverty without contributing to the degradation of fragile mountain ecosystems.

SU News

usa-today-8932859.0.jpg

The Best Quotes From JB's ESPN the Mag Article (TNIAAM; Pregler)

ESPN the Mag will have a feature titled "The Final Act of Jim Boeheim," which is currently up on ESPN.com. It's very very very good.

Normally, ESPN's longforms are reserved for Outside the Lines or "specials" that are growing fewer and more far between. Their most recent one, written by Tommy Tomlinson (Charlotte Observer, Sports Illustrated) is titled The final act of Jim Boeheim. If you want a good read, this is it. Here are some of the best quotes:

On his game day routine:

If it's a night game, he has soup, grilled cheese, chips and Pepsi. If it's a day game, he doesn't eat. At some point he gets in the shower, which is the cue for Juli, his wife, to lay out his clothes. If it's a big game, she'll pick something snazzy from the tailor who comes over special from Rochester. Most of the time, she puts out what he calls "the uniform" -- gray slacks and a blue blazer.

On his feelings towards the NCAA rules on "monitoring":

"Every bank has had a teller that's cheated," Boeheim said. "And not one president has ever been fired or sanctioned for it. So it's a dangerous world when you are in trouble because somebody did something who works for you."

On the NCAA taking away wins:

"You can't take away wins. We had them. It's a joke that they take away wins. You don't take away wins. That just doesn't, doesn't even, doesn't resonate with me."

On Wegman's:

"The best. Everything is the best. They do only the best."

I could keep going, but the article does an excellent job of looking at Boeheim the man and his legacy in Syracuse, which I think is summed up best in the feature's closing:

Arrange the facts however you like. He'll retire as one of the winningest coaches of all time. Some of those wins were taken away. He won a national title. His teams were put on probation twice. He built a towering program in a city where most of the towers had crumbled.

College Basketball

Reporter Breaks Leg as Iowa State Basketball Fans Storm Court Following Win Over Iowa (video; PS; Owens)

Mike and Donna, Watch Out; You Are in the Eye of the Hurricane!

A reporter suffered a compound fracture of his leg as fans celebrated Iowa State's dramatic comeback win over Iowa on Thursday night in Ames, Iowa.

The unbeaten and No. 4-ranked Cyclones trailed their in-state rival by as much as 20 points before rallying for a 83-82 win, causing fans to storm the court and celebrate.

But the Des Moines Register reported that longtime columnist Randy Peterson suffered a broken tibia and fibia in the chaos that followed the comeback win. He was taken to Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines after the game.

"It appeared to be a significant leg break," Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard told the Register. "Coach (Steve) Prohm and I went out to talk to him and tried to comfort him. It is what it is."

According to his biography on the Register site, Peterson has been with the paper for parts of five decades and covers Iowa State football and basketball.

Pollard issued a statement after the game:

"In fairness, we still do not know exactly what happened. However, at this point our thoughts are focused on Randy and his wife Patty, who is battling cancer. He is our beat reporter and Patty and he are both very good friends of our program. Coach Prohm and I have both personally spoken with Randy and have assured him we will do whatever we can to help them both through what they are dealing with."
At the 49-second mark of the video below, Peterson is visible falling to the ground in the lower right corner of the screen; at the 1:07 mark, you can see people tending to the injured Peterson.

Other

19365063-mmmain.jpg

Remembering My Interview with Syracuse Legend Dolph Schayes (thejuice; Marcus)

I was all set to write this column about a new horizon for Syracuse football, but my plan for this column changed when NBA legend Dolph Schayes died on Thursday at the age of 87.

Now, Schayes didn’t play basketball for SU (his son, Danny, did). But he did play basketball in Syracuse for the Nationals, at a time before SU basketball was the SU basketball we know today. If you don’t know the Nationals, it’s because they’re currently the Philadelphia 76ers. Schayes won an NBA title 50 years ago with the Nats in Syracuse.

When people think of basketball in Syracuse, they think of the Orange, and deservedly so. But there was once another team in town.

Back in the fall of 2012, when I was a senior at SU, I wrote a story on the Syracuse Nationals on the 50th anniversary of the Nats’ final season in Syracuse before leaving for Philly. For that story, I talked to Dolph Schayes.

Schayes was a landlord at that time, in his 80s. Think about that. An NBA Hall of Famer. Still working. In Syracuse. And he took the time to talk to a 20-year-old.

I met him in his office in Syracuse. He didn’t appear to be 6-foot-7, though age will shrink you a little bit. I talked with him for an hour. People his age have treasure troves of information. And they love talking about the past, the good ‘ol days.

I have seen Denali three times, but I think Rainier is still my favorite.
View attachment 54403
As someone who has had the priviledge and stupidity to climb them both, I concur with your assessment.

Sidebar, the foundation Tom linked above CAI, wasn't that found to be a sham, and Greg Mortensen a thief?

This photo brings back a lot of memories. Chris was probably the best shooting freshman that ever played in the Dome. Watching him in warm-ups, it was as if there was absolutely no effort when he drained shot after shot.

Is there something special about how these are being posted? I am still frustrated that I can't view about 80% of the daily article posts in Firefox. I can see them in Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. Am I the only one?? Since FF is my prime browser, I end up never seeing most of the posts anymore.

In case anybody wants to troubleshoot: In this thread, posts 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 are all completely blank for me in Firefox.

Is there something special about how these are being posted? I am still frustrated that I can't view about 80% of the daily article posts in Firefox. I can see them in Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. Am I the only one?? Since FF is my prime browser, I end up never seeing most of the posts anymore.

In case anybody wants to troubleshoot: In this thread, posts 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 are all completely blank for me in Firefox.

I'm in Firefox and not having any trouble viewing any posts. That's really weird.

I'm in Firefox and not having any trouble viewing any posts. That's really weird.

Thanks for relaying that. I have no idea what is up. Happens on two completely different computers with very different setups.

I am in Firefox. They just took a while to load.

Yes that's a good point. I notice the same slight delay on mine but then they appear just fine.

Yes that's a good point. I notice the same slight delay on mine but then they appear just fine.
I have trouble with embedded tweets only partially appearing (in Firefox). There is an update that will be installed soon. Hopefully, that will fix both problems.

for me its about 25% of the time they dont load in firefox. half the time they load with a 5-15 sec delay and some times they just load. i do see huge delays in the connections to the links that are imbedded at times using firebug

In Safari they seem to load sort of one at a time, causing the whole thread to keep re-positioning (moving up and down) in the browser