Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-ugly-sweater-day.png

Welcome to National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day!

Lurking in the murky depths of many people’s wardrobes is a colorful, brash and (in most cases) highly embarrassing novelty Christmas jumper which, were it not for Ugly Christmas Sweater Day, would probably never see the light of day. Launched in 2011, this annual celebration, which is growing in popularity every year among adults and children, is not simply an excuse to parade humiliatingly-unfashionable seasonal knitwear featuring Rudolph, Christmas puddings and Frosty the Snowman; it is a light-hearted and enjoyable fundraising event with a serious aim in aid of Save the Children.

In schools, colleges and offices Christmas jumpers are donned to raise money for the global charity that works to combat premature death among children from easily preventable diseases such as diarrhoea, malaria and pneumonia, and whose mission is clinically summed-up in the slogan ‘No Child Born to Die’.

SU News

usa-today-8968850.0.jpg

SU Basketball: How Will It End When We Get to the (Real) End? (TNIAAM; McClusky)

We're watching the future of Syracuse basketball in the here and now. Mike Hopkins, interim Syracuse Orange basketball head coach, will eventually be Mike Hopkins, Syracuse Orange basketball head coach. But getting to that point, no matter what, will be strange.

The NCAA swung and it connected, a body blow, but it didn't knockout Jim Boeheim. Right now, the Hall of Fame coach is metaphorically pulling himself up off the canvas. It's something of a standing nine-game count, where the suspended coach is forced to watch his team in the prison of his basement, isolated, probably woozy. His time to get to his feet will come. He'll be back coaching his Syracuse Orange that Saturday next month against North Carolina.

We also know there are a lot more matches, more rounds, ahead for the aged, spindly "heavyweight" coach. Actually, according to the announcement last spring, Boeheim will be the main attraction for all Orange title bouts for the next three years.

Lord. Remember that awkward mess? The NCAA levies all sorts of penalties, sanctions and claims against Syracuse basketball, labeling Boeheim as the "fall guy." And in response, Syracuse University did what outsiders didn't expect and what those around here knew was coming: It stood by Boeheim. With the weird caveat that Boeheim would retire in a few seasons.

At the time, last spring, that seemed kind of like SU was a kid rebelling against a parent, pushing the boundaries but only to a point. Like my five-year-old son telling me he's not going to take a bath -- he pushes back against as much as possible, but before long he's in the tub. Syracuse seemed to be saying "Jim's our guy, NCAA. But, not for nothing, we will be making a change in a few years." The whole thing was so strange to me.

Other

19406477-mmmain.jpg

College Basketball's 'Most Exciting Show' Comes to CNY Next Week (PS; Axe)

The Syracuse University men's basketball team hosts Cornell on Saturday.

In most years that would be considered the highlight of Cornell's non-conference slate in Central New York.

No offense to the Orange, but the more interesting opponent for the Big Red could be on the schedule next week.

Monmouth, described by some as "the most entertaining show in college basketball," visits Cornell on Dec. 23.

If you haven't watched Monmouth play this season, catching the Hawks at Cornell could be a fun way to spend your Festivus.

If you go, you'll want to keep a close eye on the bench.

That's right, the bench.

The Hawks "bench mob" knows how to put on a show.

19411669-mmmain.jpg

LeBron James Crashes Into Crowd, Injures Wife of PGA Golfer Jason Day (PS; AP)

LeBron James crashed into a courtside seat, accidentally knocking over and injuring PGA champion Jason Day's wife during the Cavaliers' win over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday night.

Ellie Day was carried from Quicken Loans Arena on a backboard, placed on a stretcher with her head immobilized and taken to MetroHealth Medical Center. There was no immediate report on her condition.

James was scrambling for a loose ball in the fourth quarter of a 104-100 win over Oklahoma City, when the 6-foot-8, 250-pound All-Star launched himself into the air, plowing into Ellie Day as she sat next to her husband.

James said he spoke with Ellie Day while she was being helped by medical personnel during a stoppage in play.

"I squeezed her hand and she said she was OK," he said. "She was just a little weary."

Before he was given more information on her, James, who scored 33 points and flirted with a triple-double, was noticeably shaken when he left the floor following the Cavs' win.

"For me, obviously, her health is very important and hopefully she is doing well," James said. "The guys told me she's doing great now. For me, just going for a loose ball, tried to keep the possession going, I just hate that that was the end result."