Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
lostsock.gif

Welcome to Lost Sock Memorial Day!

It’s inevitable – for every load of laundry you sort through, there are odd socks.

Over time, you may even find that you end up with entire drawers and storage boxes filled with odd socks. But worry not! Lost Sock Memorial Day is all about commemorating the other (lost) halves of the pairs of socks which are still with us. Here’s to their memory.

SU News

floyd1.jpg

Sundays with Sacco: The Legacy of Dr. Floyd Little (denverbroncos/com; Saccomano)

It's not Floyd Little's football career that should be considered his lasting legacy.

Next Sunday, May 15, Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little will receive a doctorate degree, the highest academic honor, from his alma mater, Syracuse University.

This is not a new announcement, as it was made several weeks ago, but it stands as a continuing message from Floyd.

His greatest legacy is not that he was the first first-round draft choice ever signed by the Broncos, or that he was revered by his teammates so highly that he was named team captain as a rookie and continued as team captain for all nine of his pro seasons in Denver. Nor is it that his career that led him to become the first Ring of Famer ever selected, or his subsequent induction into the Hall of Fame in Canton.

Dr. Floyd Little's legacy is that he showed everyone a blueprint for how to live.

He is a dear friend, and when I called to congratulate him, he answered his cell immediately and I asked if "Dr. Little" was in. There was a pause, and he said, "Yes, Jim," and we both chuckled warmly.

Most people only know him as the great player he was, but not as the young kid coming home from school to see his mother's tears when he saw that the family had been evicted and kicked to the curb. Floyd vowed to do everything in his power to prevent his mother from being that sad ever again.

2016_0506_RookieMiniCamp_2241.jpg

Colts notebook: Undrafted Pass Rushers Relish Opportunity (heraldbulletin.com; Bremer)

Maggitt and former Syracuse defensive end Ron Thompson stand out because of their ability as edge rushers — the team's most glaring need that was not addressed during the three days of the draft.

"Guys are long, they're athletic, they've got burst, they can close, they're rugged, they play with toughness," head coach Chuck Pagano said. "And, like I said, they were well-coached, and they've got some tools in their box that should enable them to get to the passer. So we really like them."

While Maggitt spent the weekend working in individual drills as he waits for final clearance on his hip, Thompson jumped right into the mix on defense.

He believes he has the right combination of skills — run stopper, pass rusher, coverage ability — to fill Indianapolis' need.

The team has a trio of 30-something outside linebackers — Robert Mathis, Erik Walden and Trent Cole — entering the final year of their respective contracts. And converted defensive end Earl Okine is the only other player at the position on the roster.

That depth chart is one reason why Thompson began looking forward to becoming a free agent as the draft wore on.
"After the sixth round, I was hoping to really not get picked up so I can weigh my options and go to the best fit that I thought was good for me," he said. "And here I am."

Other

20285287-standard.jpg

New Central Cafe (324 Burnet Ave)
20284520-standard.jpg

Sutter's Mill & Mining Co. Pictured here, the Homel-Alaniz Band pose outside the bar

CNY Bars We Wish We Had Back (photo gallery; PS)

raw talent ‏@MarkMharris36 19h19 hours ago
This will be 1 of the biggest camps cleveland have ever seen. Osu,Mich,MSU,IU,Purdue,Iowa, Maryland,Rutgers ect..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom