Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
jteenth.png

Welcome to Juneteenth!

Although Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation went into effect on January 1, 1863, it was not until after the war was over that slaves became free in Texas, possibly because the Proclamation could not be enforced there, or because news of the Proclamation had not been spread there. The war ended in April of 1865, but word did not reach Texas until the following month, and it was not until June that the Confederate Army in the area surrendered. On June 19th, Union General Gordon Granger read “General Order No. 3” in Galveston, which said all slaves were free. The next year freed slaves began celebrating not only the proclamation, but the freeing of all slaves in general, and gave the day the name Juneteenth. Over time the celebrations spread to other parts of the country. During the Great Migrations after World War I and World War II, when large amounts of African Americans moved north, they brought Juneteenth traditions with them. Although this helped spread the holiday, in some cases it made it harder for people to celebrate, as it was harder to take time off from work during the week at urban factory jobs than farm jobs. Juneteenth celebrations also were given a boost after the 1968 Poor People’s March, when returning attendees brought the tradition back to their communities. By the 1980’s and 1990’s, Juneteenth celebrations were prevalent all around the country, and almost all states now recognize the day in some way. Although, as of 2017, it has not been recognized as a federal holiday.

SU News

Lake Nona WR Anthony Queeley commits to Syracuse (orlandosentinel.com; includes video interview; Hays)

Anthony Queeley had a feeling he might be committing to Syracuse prior to taking a visit to the Central New York school this weekend.

Once the Orlando Lake Nona receiver got on campus, he knew where he wanted to be and he made his decision that Syracuse is where he will play college football. Queeley picked the Orange over 14 other Football Bowl Subdivision scholarship offers, including hometown UCF, Duke, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

“It was mainly opportunity,” Queeley said of what Syracuse had to offer. “Starting with academics and athletics I feel like Syracuse can provide the best of both worlds for me and I felt like it was the best fit for me.”

The Syracuse offense was also quite intriguing and hard for Queeley to pass up given its wide-open flare, which is just like the passing attack at Lake Nona under head coach Anthony Paradiso.

“They had a couple of receivers [Amba Etta-Tawo and Ervin Phillips) have almost 100 catches [last year] and the type of offense they run is kind of similar to what we run,” Queeley said. “It’s a fast-paced offense, no-huddle, hard-working … best fit for me.”

hqdefault.jpg

Cooper Lutz

2018 Syracuse football recruiting off to a fast start - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

The summer months on the college football circuit are no time for vacation. Football coaches covet verbal commitments the way most people enjoy beach days.

Coach Dino Babers and his staff are off to a fast start recruiting the Class of 2018. As Babers enters his second season implementing fast-break football in the Carrier Dome, the task becomes easier when the cupboard is full of his guys. The Orange has nine verbals to date; seven on offense and two on defense.

The biggest recruit, figuratively and literally, is 4-star OL Tyrone Sampson. The Detroit product stands at 6-foot-3 and tips the scales at 304 pounds. Louisville, Kentucky, Minnesota, and Virginia all offered Sampson.

Three of the commits all have New York roots. Gabe Horan is a local product from Baldwinsville who plays Tight End while ATH Trill Williams resides in White Plains. Williams was previously a Rutgers pledge. Running back Jawhar Jordan lived in New York before moving to Chandler, AZ. All three players are 3-stars.

And three commits hail from the Sunshine state. Running back Akeem Dixon is the type of power back Babers prefers. Listed at 215 lbs, the Vero Beach product packs a wallop when he hits the hole. On the other side of the ball is OLB Ja’Qurius Smith out of Lakeland. Orlando WR Anthony Queeley just gave the staff a verbal yesterday. Standing at 6-foot-2, he’s the type of outside receiver who should excel in Babers’ system. The three Florida recruits are all 3-stars.

Rounding out the class is 3-star OLB Juan Wallace from Washington, DC and 2-star WR Cooper Lutz out of Reading, PA.

maxresdefault.jpg

Syracuse football recruiting: Class of 2017 long snapper Aaron Bolinsky commits to SU as preferred walk-on (DO; Gutierrez)

Aaron Bolinsky, a class of 2017 long snapper unranked by major recruiting services, committed to Syracuse Sunday night as a preferred walk-on.

The 5-foot-11, 225-pounder will be eligible this fall as SU’s third preferred walk-on since May. Last month, kicker Jeff Chan and running back Luke Erickson committed to SU as class of 2017 walk-ons.

On to the next level#BEL18VE #OITNF #Commit2Cusepic.twitter.com/XB7caO3ZAE

— Aaron Bolinsky (@aaron53bolinsky) June 19, 2017

Bolinsky attended Blue Mountain High School in Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, 90 miles northwest of Philadelphia. Per his Hudl.com profile, he has a 22-inch vertical, benches 285 pounds, squats 485 and deadlifts 505. He played center and worked as a long snapper in high school.

Earlier on Sunday, class of 2018 wide receiver Anthony Queeley committed to the Orange.

Bolinsky is Syracuse’s 29th addition to the 2017 class. Track the class of 2017 here.

Father’s Day Reflections: My Son And Syracuse University (itlh.com; Adler)

With his first Father’s Day now here, Inside The Loud House’s Neil Adler ruminates on his infant son, his alma mater (Syracuse University), and how the two intertwine.

Three things matter the most to me. In order of importance, they are: My family and friends. The company that I co-own. Syracuse University, and more specifically, SU hoops.

As it pertains to my family, I love and treasure my parents, my twin brother, my other siblings, my nieces and nephews, etc. However, nearly one year ago, on July 6, 2016, my son came into this world. And I will never, ever adore and love someone more than him.

Fatherhood changes everything. I’m experiencing my inaugural Father’s Day this Sunday, which has led me to spend a lot of time lately thinking about Kethan Adler. How much he’s grown. How enthusiastic and sweet he is. How much fun we truly have together. How I can’t wait to see him begin walking, and talking, and the list goes on and on and on.

And, on a superficial level, I’ve thought to myself, gosh, Kethan knows nothing about how important my beloved Orange basketball squad is to me. How I’m a crazy, fanatical fan. How I’m a proud contributor to Inside The Loud House. How I have way too much information on Jim Boeheim and his decades of players lumped into my brain.

It’s not his fault, he’s 11 months old. Sure, I’ve dressed him up in ‘Cuse gear on countless occasions. We’ve watched a few games together. I’ve read him passages from Boeheim’s recent book. I talk to him about my four blessed years at Syracuse University. But he has no idea.

He has no idea that I majored in broadcast journalism at Syracuse University’s fantastic Newhouse school. That my professors told me I had a face for radio, and a voice for newspapers. Alas, I became a print reporter after college, until I started a marketing firm 10 years ago with my twin brother, Dan, and our best friend, Mark, who are also ‘Cuse alums.

Other

screen-shot-2017-06-18-at-20931-pmpng-c41c0304a2eb8735.png

See 22 New York properties recommended for National Register of Historic Places (PS; Alexson)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo released a list of 22 sites, buildings and properties recommended for the state and national historic registries last week.

The list is being submitted to state and federal historic preservation officers for approval. Inclusion on the national registry makes properties eligible for preservation programs, state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.

These 22 sites reflect hundreds of years of history all across New York State. Sites are sorted by region, and the descriptions are those provided by the state. Take a look below.

CNY

Sagamore Apartment House
The 1926 complex reflects a new housing type built to accommodate the needs of the growing urban middle class in early 20th century Syracuse.

The Morgan Dunne House
The 1911 house is a residence designed by prolific Syracuse architect Ward Wellington Ward, who was known for using a variety of designs related to the Arts and Crafts Movement in the early 20th century.

West High School
Built in 1938, Auburn's West High School differed from more traditional schools by emphasizing training for students planning to enter the industrial workforce, and the school’s design reflected this by including workshop style classrooms for practical, task oriented training.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom