Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
d6854-3.jpg

Welcome to Prime Meridian Day!

A prime meridian is a meridian (a line of longitude) in a geographical coordinate system at which longitude is defined to be 0°. Together, a prime meridian and its antimeridian (the 180thmeridian in a 360°-system) form a great circle. This great circle divides the sphere, e.g., the Earth, into two hemispheres.

SU News

What happened to Florida State? Get to know Syracuse football's next opponent (PS;Bailey)

Syracuse football returns from its bye week to play at Florida State at 12:20 p.m. Saturday. The Orange (4-4, 2-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) needs to win half of its final four games to ensure a bowl appearance.

In years past, a trip to Tallahassee could be written in as a likely loss. Since joining the ACC, SU has fallen to FSU each of the last four years by a combined margin of 187-58. But this year's Seminoles (2-5, 2-4) are struggling mightily.

After losing to Boston College 35-3 on Friday, the wheels may be coming off for head coach Jimbo Fisher and Co. Let's backtrack a bit to follow the path FSU has taken to this point, while mixing in some facts and figures to know heading into this weekend's matchup.

http://www.thedailynole.com/news/2017/10/31/fsu-football-first-look-syracuse-2/ (thedailynole.com; Ferguson)

One team will look to take a big step toward bowl-eligibility in Tallahassee on Saturday and it won’t be Florida State. It will be Syracuse, who comes in with an even record of 4-4 and 2-2 in ACC play.

The Orange have averaged a loss by a margin of greater than 32 points against FSU since entering the ACC in 2013, including 45-14 at the Carrier Dome last season. Under second-year head coach Dino Babers however, Syracuse may have its best team since joining the conference.

On Syracuse
Record: 4-4 (2-2 ACC)
Offensive Ranks: 29th in yards per game (455), 21st in passing yards per game (295.4), 72nd in rushing yards per game (159.6), 59th in points per game (29.8).
Defensive Ranks: 45th in yards per game allowed (368), 84th in passing yards per game allowed (238.1), 33rd in rushing yards per game allowed (129.8), 53rd in points per game allowed (24.6).
Last Game: Lost at Miami on Oct. 21, 27-19.

On Offense
Syracuse boasts a top 30 national offense and the biggest reason is that quarterback Eric Dungey has finally been able to stay healthy. A dual-threat junior at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, Dungey has already eclipsed the 300-yard mark as a passer three times and the 100-yard mark as a rusher twice. Dungey rushed for 100 yards his last time out in a loss to Miami, but was intercepted four times, which equaled his season total coming in. Dungey has accounted for 20 total touchdowns this season and leads the team in passing and rushing. Dontae Strickland, a junior, is the leading rusher among running backs with 403 yards on the ground.

fields_joe_web.jpg

Joe Fields Named Associate AD For Academic Services - Texas A&M University Athletics Department (12thman.com)

Joe Fields has been named Associate Athletics Director for Academic Services at Texas A&M, Director of Athletics Scott Woodward announced Tuesday. Fields comes to Aggieland from Syracuse, where he ascended to the role of Director of Academic Services in seven years working in student-athlete development for the Orange.

"I'm excited to be joining the Aggie family and thankful to Scott Woodward and the administration for the opportunity," said Fields. "It's an exciting time to be at Texas A&M, and I look forward to contributing to the growth and development of our student-athletes while celebrating their successes both academically and athletically."

"Joe brings to our staff a valuable perspective of broad-based experience in student-athlete development and academics combined with his background as a former student-athlete," said Woodward. "He also has an impressive history of community service, having led Syracuse's Youth Impact Program that developed a curriculum for middle school students in the Syracuse area. Joe is a person who elevates those around him, has a positive impact on others, and we are very pleased that he is joining us."

While at Syracuse, Fields helped the men's and women's basketball programs post the highest team grade-point averages (GPAs) in program history. Under his watch, the men's basketball program had a perfect Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 1,000 for five consecutive years. He also helped the football team co-lead the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) in team honor roll selections.

edungey.jpg

Daydream comes true for Clemson coach Dabo Swinney (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney has been having daydreams about day games for quite a while now.

Nearly two years, to be precise, and he’ll get his wish Saturday when his team plays a mid-afternoon game at N.C. State. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

After playing 12 consecutive night games away from home – dating back to a day game against Oklahoma in the 2015 Orange Bowl – Swinney was pleased when the N.C. State kickoff time was announced early Sunday morning following his team’s 24-10 victory against Georgia Tech.

It was welcome news on a cool and rainy night.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t (happy),” Swinney said. “It didn’t disappoint me, that’s for sure. Twelve night games in a row away from here… That’s a lot of 5 a.m.’s and 6 a.m.’s. It’ll be good to get home around midnight at least, I guess.”

30 Minutes in Orange Nation (espnsyracuse.com; radio; Steve and Seth)

Steve and Seth talk about the NFL and the trades occurring before the deadline today at 4 pm. Then they bring in their producer Max to play a Halloween version of buy or sell called trick or treat?

Other

couplejpg-04c25c22d7d1cf7a.jpg

Hollywood star Emily Blunt, known for movies "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Girl on the Train", with her actor husband, John Krasinski, best known for his role as Jim Halpert in "The Office." pose for a photo at "That Little Place on Main" diner in the city of Little Falls.

Hollywood stars John Krasinksi, wife Emily Blunt film movie in small upstate NY city (photos) (PS; photo gallery)

Hollywood star Emily Blunt, known for movies "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Girl on the Train", with her actor husband, John Krasinski, best known for his role as Jim Halpert in "The Office." pose for a photo at "That Little Place on Main" diner in the city of Little Falls.

Owner Gary Bowman said Blunt ordered kale greens and spinach sauteed with portabella mushrooms and garlic, and Krasinski has cinnamon swirl pancakes.

"They were sweet - they sat across from each other, held hands and smiled as they chatted with each other,'' Bowman said.

The pair have been filming scenes for the movie "A Quiet Place," in the small city of Little Falls, in Herkimer County.

The film, billed as a drama, horror, thriller, has a release date of April 6, 2018, according to IMDB.com.

Krasinski is also listed as the film's director. This is the first time he has starred with his wife in a production.

Krasinski first came to Little Falls in August to scout filming locations for the Paramount Pictures film.

Mark Blask, mayor of Little Falls, said filming is scheduled to wrap up today. Several scenes have been shot along Main Street and in the city center.

Krasinski has posed for numerous selfies with residents, who say they are thrilled to have the celebrity couple in their city.

fields_joe_web.jpg

Joe Fields Named Associate AD For Academic Services - Texas A&M University Athletics Department (12thman.com)
...While at Syracuse, Fields helped the men's and women's basketball programs post the highest team grade-point averages (GPAs) in program history. Under his watch, the men's basketball program had a perfect Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 1,000 for five consecutive years. He also helped the football team co-lead the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) in team honor roll selections...
Good for Joe Fields. He did a great job while he was here. Wish him the best at aTm

Butler-Resized.jpg

Syracuse packs a double dose of Devin Butler (DO; Bloss)

Devin C. Butler had never met Devin M. Butler, the graduate transfer from Notre Dame, before the latter arrived in Syracuse this past January. But C. Butler knew M. Butler’s face, because Google had familiarized him with it.

“Every time I looked me up,” C. Butler, a sophomore wide receiver, said, “I see him.”

M. Butler, a cornerback, shared the struggle. During his senior year at Gonzaga (Washington, D.C.) High School, whenever M. Butler went to check his status on local recruiting websites, a Frederick Douglass (Maryland) High School freshman quarterback who won 12 games and threw for 1,100 yards appeared. It was C. Butler. But, at that time, there was no need for the middle initial. They were just two kids on opposite ends of successful high school careers.

Good for Joe Fields. He did a great job while he was here. Wish him the best at aTm

I didn't even realize he was still at Syracuse. I just remember his horrendous debut on national TV and then later that year (or maybe the second year) his head coach stating he would have never directed him to Syracuse if he knew he would have been moved to defense and that he felt didn't get a fair shot at QB. Ended up being a decent safety.

Last edited:
Injuries continue to pile up for the Demon Deacons

In today’s version of “Why do bad things always happen to Wake Forest?”, we have the injuries of Jessie Bates and Cade Carney to assess. According to Dave Clawson (and very well reported by Les Johns), neither player will be available for the Notre Dame game, and are both “week-to-week”.

While this likely does not matter as much for the Notre Dame game on Saturday, it could matter greatly, especially against the high powered offense of Syracuse on November 11th.

The game against Notre Dame was always going to be a long shot, but after the injuries to Greg Dortch, Carney, and Bates, it makes it an even more unlikely proposition to win in South Bend.

“Week-to-week” doesn’t exactly sound overly positive that it will be just one game missed either, so time will tell on those injuries.

Regardless, the team has to embrace the “next man up” strategy, and at the strong safety position it means that R-Fr Luke Masterson will get his first career start.

Also returning to the running back depth chart are Isaiah Robinson and true freshman Christian Beal.

Rob and I touched on this a bit last night in the podcast, but at this juncture Wake needs to do everything possible to preserve Beal’s redshirt. I am assuming this just means that he will dress and be an emergency option since Byrd and Robinson are listed.

In some other roster developments, Cortez Lewis missed the Louisville game for oversleeping Friday, and it is to be determined whether or not he will be available for the game on Saturday. I am guessing this is more of an accumulation of demerits rather than just the independent event of oversleeping in itself.

Since Bates and Dortch are out that means somebody else has to man the kickoff and punt returns, and that duty will fall to Tabari Hines (punt return), and Chuck Wade (kickoff return).

As expected, Tabari Hines slides into the slot receiver vacancy left open by the injury to Dortch.

Not the most fun injury/depth chart report update today, but hopefully the hurt Deacs use this week to get back into playing shape for Syracuse next weekend in a game that will likely still go towards determining whether or not Wake Forest will make a bowl game.

both teams have physical games this week to try and survive.

Wake is fighting for a bowl game. Why would preserving the redshirt of a freshman running back who might help them get there be so critical? Which is more important - the bowl game or the redshirt of one player?

i think the issue is playing him this week when it may not matter vs ND and then not needing him the next 3 weeks if people come back.

Jr Tommy Devito leads us to NC game in Miami in 2021. good practice being there already

Seems like an odd time for Joe Fields to leave the Hill.

I wish him well.