Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
befunky-design18.jpg

Welcome to National Hot Fudge Sundae Day

On National Hot Fudge Sundae Day, we feast on this delicious ice cream dessert that combines hot and cold with a cherry on top. Celebrated on July 25th, this tasty treat has been served since 1906.

A variation to the classic sundae, the hot fudge sundae is a creation of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, nuts (optional) and a single, bright-red maraschino cherry on top.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Enjoy a Hot Fudge Sundae at your favorite Ice Cream shop.

SU News

Syracuse Betting Preview: Orange Win Total Getting Sharp Action (actionnetwork.com; Wilson)

Syracuse 2018 Betting Odds
  • To win the National Title: +200000
  • To win the ACC: +10000
  • To win the ACC Atlantic: +4100
  • Win Total: 5.5 (over -125)
All lines taken from 5Dimes on July 23. Always shop for the best line.

Syracuse 2018 Schedule, Betting Odds

The Action Network Projected Wins: 5.7

Date

Visitor

Home

TAN

8/31

Syracuse

Western Michigan

+8.5

9/8

Wagner

Syracuse

9/15

Florida State

Syracuse

+6.5

9/22

UConn

Syracuse

9/29

Syracuse

Clemson

10/6

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

10/20

North Carolina

Syracuse

10/27

North Carolina State

Syracuse

11/3

Syracuse

Wake Forest

11/9

Louisville

Syracuse

+2.5

11/17

Syracuse

Notre Dame

11/24

Syracuse

Boston College

Bet To Watch

Syracuse Over 5.5 (-125)

I wrote back in May to take the BetDSI opener of over 4.5 wins on the Orange. Since then, the win total has moved a full game north.

>> Follow Collin Wilson in The Action Network App to get free alerts on all his college football bets during the season.

My projections put Syracuse at 5.7, but Cuse will need a November to remember to get to six wins. Trouble is, Syracuse has not won a game in November since 2015.

Plenty of reasons account for the November slides. The Orange have frequently faced peak Clemson, Louisville and Florida State in November. Depth on both sides of the ball has also not recovered from late-October bye weeks. And most notably, famous jump-kicking quarterback Eric Dungey cannot stay healthy.

0039263-lixo-1280x720.jpg

Dungey Believes Syracuse Ready To Turn Corner (irishsportsdaily.com; McCollum)

After losing 33 of 48 games over the last four years and registering back-to-back 4-8 seasons under head coach Dino Babers, Syracuse isn’t getting a ton of respect heading into the 2018 season.

Las Vegas has set the Orange’s win total for the year at 4.5, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t dangerous.

In 2016, Syracuse upset #17 Virginia Tech and also accounted for one of the biggest upsets of the 2017 season when it shocked then-#2 Clemson 27-24 in the Carrier Dome in October.

So, regardless of Syracuse’s record coming into the game, Notre Dame will be on alert when it travels to Yankee Stadium to play the Orange on Nov. 17, right between a home contest with Florida State and the season-finale against USC in Los Angeles.

“A lot of the people, a lot of reporters say, ‘4-8, they're a bad team,’” starting quarterback Eric Dungey said from last week’s ACC Kickoff.

“You look at our schedule, I don't see a lot of teams going on our schedule and putting up wins like that. We're in every game, and unfortunately in November I wasn't able to play, but I'm looking forward to this year and going out there and giving it all.”

Prior to a season-ending leg injury that caused Dungey to miss the final three games of 2017, losses to Wake Forest, Louisville and Boston College, none of Syracuse’s five losses came by double-digits, including one-possession defeats at Miami and Florida State.

“We had one possession here and there that could have really changed the outlook of our season,” Dungey added. “It's just learning how to win and playing against the best schools and the best teams.

Tlumacki_bcvsncstate_sports301.jpg

Boston College running back A.J. Dillon named ACC football preseason Player of the Year - The Boston Globe (bostonglobe.com; Benbow)

The Boston College football program expects to take a leap this season similar to the one it looks for from running back A.J. Dillon in the follow-up to an explosive freshman campaign.

All eyes will be on Dillon, who set BC’s freshman rushing record with 1,589 yards a year ago and was named Atlantic Coast Conference preseason player of the year on Tuesday.

“I think you’re going to see the best of him start to come out this year,” said Eagles head coach Steve Addazio.

With 45 votes, Dillon topped Clemson defensive tackle Christian Wilkins (42) of Springfield for the award.

The last time an Eagle was named preseason player of the year was 2011 when running back Montel Harris took the honor. Before that, quarterback Matt Ryan was tapped in 2007.

Dillon leads a group of four Eagles named to the All-ACC preseason team along with tight end Tommy Sweeney, offensive tackle Chris Lindstrom, and safety Lukas Denis.

“He’s a phenomenal player,” Sweeney said last week. “I think his play speaks for itself. He’s a rare combination of speed and quickness and vision. Obviously we’re a run heavy team, and like you said, it opens up a lot of different things play-action wise and drop back.

“He’s a tremendous talent, a very hard worker, and it’s obviously evident in the tape and stuff. And for a tight end like myself who’s blocking for him a lot of the time, it’s pretty encouraging if you know if you can hold on for a couple seconds, something big is going to happen.”

Western Michigan coach Tim Lester a big fan of XFL returning in 2020 (mlive.com; Zuke)

Western Michigan University head football coach Tim Lester will never forget his first job out of college.

He had just wrapped up his four-year career with the Broncos, throwing for 3,639 yards and 34 touchdowns (third in the NCAA that year for TD passes) during his senior season in 1999.

Lester was not drafted by an NFL team, but he wanted to continue to play football to show he deserved to be on an NFL roster.

That's when the Xtreme Football League came calling. Lester signed with the Chicago Enforcers for the 2001 season, the only year of the league which was controlled by the World Wrestling Federation and known for its outlandish rules.

But while the XFL was widely criticized for a lack of high-end talent and emphasizing violence and cheerleaders as a source of sex appeal, it did offer an opportunity for players like Lester to continue their football careers.

Seventeen years later, XFL founder Vince McMahon announced in January the eight-team league will be returning in 2020.

Syracuse native and NFL player pursuing MBA at SU (localsyr.com)

Syracuse native and Minnesota Vikings player Latavius Murray is entering his second season with the Vikings and sixth overall in the NFL, but he knows there’s life after football.

Murray has been using the last few off-seasons to not only get football-ready, but ready to pursue an MBA from Syracuse University.

He says he wants to make a bigger impact, and prepare for when his football career is over with.

"[I want to] make a bigger impact, on life in general, on the world, and to be honest, I said I should probably go back to school. I want to learn about business, I want to learn, I want to just think other things than football,” Murray said.

Murray no longer lives in Syracuse, so he and others in his program take their classes online. But he says make no mistake-- it’s just as rigorous as those getting an MBA on the SU campus.

"No special privileges. I get treated the same, so I need to attend class and I need to do the work and so I make sure i'm doing it in my off-season in my free time so I can give it 100 percent,” Murray said.

Murray really looks forward to achieving something as big as an MBA to go along with all of his accomplishments in football.

Murray is also known for his many charitable efforts off the field, and because of his busy schedule he is only able to squeeze in a class or two each off-season, but he expects to finish his MBA in about a year and a half.

Murray already has a communications degree from the University of Central Florida.

Strip, buff and polish: Nailing down an ACC football pecking order :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; video)

Is the ACC run by Clemson? Can NC State step up in the Atlantic? What's up with Larry Fedora at UNC? Lauren Brownlow, Joe Ovies, and Michael Felder preview the upcoming ACC football season.

Other

ohnedjpg-1eb1e8bee8905304.jpg

State offers $400,000 in tax credits to help Brooklyn brewer's Upstate NY expansion (PS; Cazentre)

New York state will provide $400,000 in tax credits to help a popular Brooklyn brewery open a second location near Canandaigua.

Other Half Brewing Co. plans to spend $1.8 million of its own money to purchase and renovate the former Nedloh Brewing Co. at 6621 Routes 5 and 20 in the town of East Bloomfield.

It's the second purchase of an Upstate brewery by a New York City brewer in the past two months.

The tax credits -- money that can be deducted from the company's income tax -- are dependent on Other Half's pledge to create 35 new jobs over the next five years at the Ontario County location, according to a news release from the Empire State Development office.

Other Half, which opened in Brooklyn's Carroll Gardens neighborhood in 2014, has quickly become one of the state's hottest breweries, capturing national attention for its IPAs (India Pale Ales), particularly the trendy hazy New England styles.

Nedloh, which had built and opened a state-of-the-art brewhouse and tasting room in 2013, closed last fall. It's at the corner of Routes 5 and 20 and Whalen Road.

Other Half paid $660,000 for the 4-acre Nedloh property, which includes an 8,000-square foot building.

Last edited: