Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
burrito%20day_1522950351315.jpg_5292479_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Welcome to National Burrito Day!

Today we celebrate and enjoy burritos, which are made by wrapping tortillas around fillings such as beans or refried beans, meat, rice, salsa, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and other vegetables. They can be eaten with hands or can be served "wet"—being covered with sauce—and be eaten with a fork. Burrito bowls have all the ingredients of burritos except the tortillas.

Centuries ago, Mesoamericans rolled food such as chili peppers, avocados, squash, tomatoes, and mushrooms into corn tortillas. When the Spanish arrived, they brought wheat and pigs, which allowed for flour tortillas for wrapping and carnitas for filling. The Pueblo people in the Southwestern United States were known to eat tortillas filled with beans and meat sauces.

8 National Burrito Day Deals 2019 - Chipotle, Dos Toros, And More

SU News

Orange Watch: Belief with evidence moves Syracuse football ticket sales needle - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: Over 4,000 new season tickets sold for 2019 Syracuse football announced on April 1? No Fooling (pun intended).

Perhaps Syracuse really is a football school, again.

Or at least what resembles a football school these days as college football heads into its 150th anniversary season in 2019. That’s a Power 5 conference program competing for a conference title and playing, and winning an annual New Year’s Day or better bowl game against strong competition.

Now Orange Nation is speaking loudest. In near record numbers fans are disposing of hard-earned dollars to root on the ‘Cuse following Dino Babers much ballyhooed breakout 10-3 season, including giving Clemson its biggest scare in an eventual undefeated national title-winning season.

The university announced Monday that over 4,000 season tickets have been sold for the upcoming six home game portion of the schedule, ranking as one of the largest one season increases in the Dome era (1980-present). Oh, and get this, Syracuse season tickets for six games, including Clemson, start at $125. The average ticket to one Buffalo Bills home game last season was $70.

In fact, the first and second level season ticket allotment for the building is down to under 1,250 tickets. That growth, combined with a traveling contingent rooting on their beloved Tigers, will ensure a sellout crowd baking in the Dome’s sauna-like conditions when nearly 50,000 people are in the building to welcome Clemson on Sept. 14.

(What was the daytime high temperature on campus last Sept. 14? 81 degrees, let’s hope for a night game.)

picture1.png

Recruit Spotlight: Jack Collins, Cicero-North Syracuse High School (usatodayhss.com)

As a sophomore in 2017, his Cicero-North Syracuse football team won their first Sectional Championship (NY) in school history. He was the defensive play caller, led the team in tackles and was an All-League selection. In 2018, he again called the defense, led the team in tackles and helped his Northstar team to a second Sectional Championship. He was an All-Central New York Selection for his efforts, as a junior. In his last two seasons combined, he amassed a total of 225 tackles.

He scored a 1360 on his SAT. He is a member of more clubs than I have time to list. He’s polite, he does things the right way and he epitomizes what it means to be a student-athlete. And, he’s got another year of high school football to go! He is Jack Collins, this week’s USA Today High School Sports Recruit Spotlight.

Player Profile

JACK COLLINS
High School: Cicero-North Syracuse
Hometown: Cicero, NY
Height | Weight: 6’ | 210 lbs

Dee Brown named West Orange High football coach | Observer Preps | West Orange Times & Observer | West Orange Times & Windermere Observer (orangeobserver.com; Herring)

After a monthlong coaching search, the West Orange football team finally has its new head coach.

The school announced last week former Syracuse running back and NFL veteran Dee Brown will take over the Warriors’ program following the departure of interim head coach Terence Tolbert — who left for Wekiva.

Although he is still in the process of getting his family and himself to Winter Garden, Brown already has met with the team and is ready to get going.

“I am super excited,” he said. “I talked to my boys today, and obviously meeting them for the first time was going to be a little bit nervous for both sides, but it didn’t take long for those guys to get comfortable for me. I just felt right at home. Sometimes, you walk into a place or you put on a shoe, and it just fits — you have that feeling.

“The young men, they welcomed me with open arms,” Brown said. “I told them, ‘As long as you guys allow me to put everything that I have into you and you receive it, we’ll have a great time together.’”

A native of Clearwater, Brown comes to West Orange with years of football experience, which all started during his time at Lake Brantley in Altamonte Springs. His play at running back for the Patriots got the attention of the Syracuse football program, where he played for four years (1997-2000). In college, he rushed for more than 2,600 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Syracuse Football: AAF disbands, former SU players get screwed (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Will Dave Boller return to Syracuse now?

The Alliance of American Football is over and all of the Syracuse football players who were in this league just got screwed. Here are all the details.

Something that has been speculated was confirmed this week: the Alliance of American Football is over.

Well technically the legal term being used is “the suspension of football operations”, but several sources have confirmed that any member of the football staff (player, coach, executives) have all been fired and removed.

This decision was solely made by majority owner Tom Dundon. He bought a majority stake in mid-February and when you own the majority, you make the decisions. That’s where problems started to arise.

Darren Rovell revealed the heart of the issue here via the Action Network:

30 Minutes in Orange Nation | WTLA-AM (espnsyracuse.com; radio; Seth and Steve)

Steve and Seth discuss the upcoming renovations to the Dome, and take callers on the issue, specifically which SU teams will be forced to play their games elsewhere during the construction.

ACC Quarterback Depth Chart Breakdown: The Starters Will Be ... (CFN; Fiutak)

Boston College Eagles

Current Projected Starter: Anthony Brown, Jr.

Brown is the veteran who was great when healthy, but he was coming off a knee injury and got banged up late in the year. EJ Perry is a solid No. 2 option who saw time behind Brown, and Matt McDonald is in the hunt for the backup job.

Clemson Tigers

Current Projected Starter: Trevor Lawrence, Soph.

Hunter Johnson is going to start at Northwestern, and Kelly Bryant will get the call at Missouri. It would be nice to have those two around for depth, but Lawrence is the obvious superstar for the next two years. Chase Brice – the hero who saved the day against Syracuse – is the backup.

Duke Blue Devils

Current Projected Starter: Quentin Harris, Sr.

Daniel Jones took off early, but the Blue Devils are in fine shape with Harris – he’s the sure-thing No. 1 who’s making the team his. Chris Katrenick was the No. 3 last year, and now the sophomore is battling with redshirt freshman Gunnar Holberg to backup Harris.

Florida State Seminoles

Current Projected Starter: James Blackman, Jr.

This is going to be a whole lot of fun this August. Blackman is beefing up to get ready to be the No. 1 guy, but Alex Hornibrook didn’t transfer from Wisconsin to sit on the bench.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Current Projected Starter: Lucas Johnson, Jr.

Who can be the one to make the pivot from the former triple-option attack to what new head man Geoff Collins wants to run? Put this depth chart in pencil as three prospects start to prove they can throw the forward pass on a consistent basis.

Heyward and Holman Provide Spring Practice Update (goduke.com)

The Duke football team completed its 12th spring workout Wednesday morning at the Books Practice Facility. The program’s annual Spring Showcase is set for Friday with free admission. The event will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra beginning at 6:30 p.m.

Blue Devil Network’s Dave Harding spoke with rising redshirt freshmen Casey Holman and Shaka Heyward following the Wednesday workout to discuss the progress Duke has made this spring. Last fall, Holman, an offensive guard from Snellville, Ga., played in four games and was on the field for 51 snaps. Heyward also experienced action in four contests during the 2018 campaign. A linebacker from Hoschton, Ga., was on the field for 18 snaps.

Duke opens the 2019 season versus Alabama inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game on August 31. Tickets for the contest, as well as season tickets, may be purchased by calling the Duke Athletic Ticket Office at 919-681-BLUE or online at GoDuke.com/FootballTix.

650x366

Boston College RB AJ Dillon aspires to be best, help Eagles vie for an ACC title (orlandosentinel.com; Murschel)

Like many of us, Boston College’s AJ Dillon has a sweet tooth. But when the junior running back decided to refocus his energy this spring into becoming one of the best college football players in the country, those sugary treats were the first things to go.

“I love the sweets. I love junk food like everybody does but at the same time you have to work out what’s worth sacrificing,” Dillon said of his decision to cut out unnecessary sugar in his diet.

It’s a choice Dillon shared with running backs coach Brian White and head coach Steve Addazio when he sat down with them at the beginning of spring to discuss his goals this season.

“I told them I had the mindset that when I come into this season, I want to be the greatest player ever. I want to be the best that’s ever played at Boston College. I want to be the best in the country next year. I want all of those things,” Dillon said of the conversation. “They sat down and looked me in the eyes and said those things are achievable but there are a lot of things you’re going to have to sacrifice.”

The sacrifice is worth it to Dillon who wants to be able to participate in every rep in practice while having the ability to go all-out at every turn.

It seems as if the 6-foot, 250-pounder has been going full-bore since arriving at the school as a 3-star prospect...

North Carolina coach Mack Brown: ‘I want our fans to get excited about coming back out for football’ (myrtlebeachonline.com; video; Willett)

Coach Mack Brown talks about the importance of the Spring game, and how the program is progressing under his leadership.

Look: Clemson receives national championship rings (newsobserver.com; Connolly)

for gbo

Clemson defeated Alabama in the national championship game in January to earn its second national title in three years.

Tigers players, coaches and staff members received their national title rings on Wednesday, about three months after Clemson won the title.

The rings feature a tiger paw with diamonds in the center, the score of the national championship game on one side and the words “best ever” on the other.

Here is a look at the rings:

[image]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3Q9kJvWwAAI1It.jpg[/image]

NFL Draft 2019: Is Clelin Ferrell Clemson’s best defensive line prospect? (saturdayblitz.com; Jernigan)

for gbo

Starters from Clemson’s defensive line will all be selected in the 2019 NFL Draft. Among them, Clelin Ferrell will be making the biggest impact.

Over the past few years, the Clemson Tigers’ defensive line has cause havoc to opposing offenses. This line consisted of Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence and Clelin Ferrell. While all three will likely be selected within the first two rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft, Ferrell is sure to be the first chosen.

While Ferrell’s draft stock may have dropped slightly with the outstanding performances of defensive ends in the NFL Combine, he is, without a doubt, a first-round pick.

Strengths

Ferrell is 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds. His strength goes without saying. However, his ability to hold the edge is explained by his deceptive quickness. While many see him as a potential pass-rusher in the NFL, he is more likely to be used as someone who stops quick running backs or scrambling quarterbacks.

But of course, his ability to get to the quarterback should not be disregarded. Ferrell recorded 11.5 sacks in the Tigers’ 2018 National Championship winning year but what was more impressive was his 20 tackles for loss. These statistics demonstrate his pure capabilities to get in the backfield and be a playmaker.

Lastly, Ferrell has proven he can perform on the biggest stages. Despite only playing in one game as a freshman, he was instrumental in the Tigers’ success over the past four seasons. In those four years, he has contributed to a Clemson team that played in three National Championship games, winning two of them. Playing in the ACC and in the College Football Playoff, Ferrell will be better prepared for the intensity of a given NFL game.

ACC Football Rx: Interview with JFann, AllSportsDiscussion (RX; HM)

Q. I understand you're an ACC alumnus. What made you want to follow more than one ACC team?

Even before I went to school at Georgia Tech then Clemson, for whatever reason I gravitated towards the ACC schools. I loved ACC basketball growing up. It didn't matter who was playing because the teams were always so good, it was like a NCAA tournament game every night.

Q. What moved you to start AllSportsDiscussion?

Really what started it was around 2011, when the expansion rumors were out of control bashing the ACC, and ACC football was at a lowpoint. I thought the ACC and it's teams were getting a lot of negative coverage. I wanted to balance out that negativity - especially the expansion rumors which were in large part non-sense. I also just had a lot opinions on sports, usually ACC that I felt like putting out. @Hokiesmash_ASD was my first contributor about year later. He had a radio background, and when the topic came up to start up a podcast, he was perfect for it. I run the site, but the podcast is all his. I just show up to co-host. He does all the leg work lining up guests and questions.

Q. Are there certain teams you follow more closely than others?

Georgia Tech and Clemson I follow the most closely since I went to graduated from those universities.

ACC Football Rx: Tweets - PFF Draft edition - 4/3/19 (RX; HM)

Here are some ACC-specific tweets from @PFF_College:

PFF Draft

@PFF_College

Hunter Renfrow was the most sure-handed wide receiver in the ACC this season. He only had one drop on 50 catchable passes.

8:13 PM - Mar 30, 2019

Renfro is the poster-child for all walk-ons and lightly-recruited players everywhere: find a skill which doesn't require unusual size or speed (e.g. catching ability) and excel at it!

Q. What are some of the biggest stories of the last 4 years - in your opinion?

1) The ACC Network announcement

Any remaining doubt the long-term viability of the ACC ended when the ACC Network was announced. I can't wait for it's launch.

2) Clemson Football

Clemson becoming a the premier college football program along with Alabama. 2 National titles in 3 years are you kidding?

3) 2016 ACC Football

This was an astonishing season. Clemson was the national title winner, but the conference won 9 bowl games, and had a 10-4 record against the SEC. It was the unquestioned #1 football conference in America that year. That did seem possible just a few years earlier.

ACC Football Rx: Team with 2 P5 OOC most years (RX; HM)

Yesterday we showed you how Clemson is scheduling a marquee P5 non-conference opponent every year to go along with their annual rivalry game with South Carolina (plus 8 ACC games). This time, I'm showing you 5 other ACC teams with similar scheduling philosophies.

First, you'd have to think the other 3 teams with annual SEC rivalry games would all be candidates for a second P5 non-conference opponent -- and you'd be correct.

ACC Florida State vs. Louisville vs. Ga Tech vs.

SEC Florida Kentucky Georgia
Year Additional P5 opponents:
2019 Boise State (JAX) Notre Dame na
2020 W. Virginia (ATL) @ Notre Dame Notre Dame
2021 Notre Dame Ole Miss (ATL) @ Notre Dame
2022 tbd na Ole Miss
2023 tbd IU (IND), ND @ Ole Miss
2024 @ Notre Dame Indiana Notre Dame
2025 tbd @ Indiana @ Colorado
2026 Notre Dame @ Notre Dame Colorado
2027 Georgia tbd @ Notre Dame
2028 @ Georgia tbd tbd
2029 Notre Dame tbd @ Notre Dame
2030 @ Notre Dame Notre Dame tbd
2031 tbd tbd tbd
2032 @ Notre Dame @ Notre Dame Notre Dame
2033 tbd Notre Dame tbd
2034 tbd tbd tbd
2035 tbd @ Notre Dame tbd
2036 @ Notre Dame tbd Notre Dame

Georgia Tech Football: Special teams have a chance to be special in 2019 (yellowjackedup.com; Callaghan-Croley)

In the final part of our spring position previews, we take a look at Georgia Tech’s special teams which truly have a chance to be special in 2019.

Last year, Georgia Tech’s special teams were up-and-down at times. They had their struggles and they had their fair share of successes. That being said, in 2019, the Jackets special teams truly has a chance to be a special unit.

Kicker:

The Jackets have one scholarship kicker on the roster in Brenton King but if last year is any indication, King will not be the Jackets starting placekicker in 2019. Instead, walk-on Wesley Wells seems like the more likely option heading into 2019 and will have a chance to prove himself once again this spring.

Two more Georgia football players arrested; Kirby Smart ‘extremely disappointed,’ says he’s ‘done a poor job with this group’ (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com; Taylor)

At some point, it’s going to be easier to list the Georgia football players who haven’t run afoul of the law this offseason than those who have.

Last month, four of Kirby Smart‘s Bulldogs were arrested for various offenses, with those ranging from traffic violations/suspended license (linebacker Jaden Hunter) to simple battery (defensive back Latavious Brini) to disorderly conduct (cornerback Tyrique Stevenson, wide receiver Tyler Simmons). With the calendar turning to April, the arrests in Athens have yet to abate as two more UGA football players, sophomore linebackers Robert Beal and Brenton Cox, were arrested Tuesday and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

Details of what led to the latest issue have yet to be released, although Smart has, once again, been forced to address the off-field issues that have hit his program.

Other

AU7D755P4NHUNJABHOXV44LPBU.JPG

Route 31 Smokehouse BBQ: New restaurant opens at Great Northern Mall in Clay (PS; Pucci)

Mall food courts are often dominated by grab-and-go fast food, but inside the Great Northern Mall, there’s a new restaurant offering just the opposite.

Han Blackmer, an optician who owns Blackmer Family Eyewear in the same mall, was trying to convince Jon Williams to open a restaurant. He had feasted on Williams’ barbecue at parties and family gatherings and wanted the public to have a taste.

It took five years before Williams agreed, but his efforts paid off and the two opened Route 31 Smokehouse BBQ inside the mall food court in early February.

Williams grew up in restaurants. He was an executive chef at an Embassy Suites and ran his first kitchen at age 18. Later, as a corporate trainer for Applebee’s, he was flown across the country to train the kitchen staff at new restaurants.

Before launching Route 31 Smokehouse BBQ, Williams worked as a truck driver and his cross-country travels are well represented in the menu. The four homemade barbecue sauces: Original, chipotle, whiskey peach and apple habanero, are in-tune with sweeter, Kansas City style sauces. They’re served on the side, because “dry barbecue” is what Williams learned when he was in Texas.

The beef brisket, with a rich, pink smoke ring at least a quarter-inch thick, is another taste of the Lone Star State. The Memphis-style pulled pork sandwich, topped with tangy, vinegar-based coleslaw, would feel right at home in the Carolinas as well.

“I’d put my food next to anyone and take my chances," Williams said.

Williams developed the menu (available on the restaurant’s Facebook page) and cooks the food, which can take up to 16 hours for the pulled pork and 14 hours for the beef brisket. That means early mornings—Williams starts smoking meats most days at 5 a.m. All the side dishes, salads and starters are made in-house as well.

“It’s time-consuming, but it’s a labor of love,” Williams said.

burrito%20day_1522950351315.jpg_5292479_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Welcome to National Burrito Day!

Today we celebrate and enjoy burritos, which are made by wrapping tortillas around fillings such as beans or refried beans, meat, rice, salsa, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and other vegetables. They can be eaten with hands or can be served "wet"—being covered with sauce—and be eaten with a fork. Burrito bowls have all the ingredients of burritos except the tortillas.

Centuries ago, Mesoamericans rolled food such as chili peppers, avocados, squash, tomatoes, and mushrooms into corn tortillas. When the Spanish arrived, they brought wheat and pigs, which allowed for flour tortillas for wrapping and carnitas for filling. The Pueblo people in the Southwestern United States were known to eat tortillas filled with beans and meat sauces.

8 National Burrito Day Deals 2019 - Chipotle, Dos Toros, And More

SU News

Orange Watch: Belief with evidence moves Syracuse football ticket sales needle - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: Over 4,000 new season tickets sold for 2019 Syracuse football announced on April 1? No Fooling (pun intended).

Perhaps Syracuse really is a football school, again.

Or at least what resembles a football school these days as college football heads into its 150th anniversary season in 2019. That’s a Power 5 conference program competing for a conference title and playing, and winning an annual New Year’s Day or better bowl game against strong competition.

Now Orange Nation is speaking loudest. In near record numbers fans are disposing of hard-earned dollars to root on the ‘Cuse following Dino Babers much ballyhooed breakout 10-3 season, including giving Clemson its biggest scare in an eventual undefeated national title-winning season.

The university announced Monday that over 4,000 season tickets have been sold for the upcoming six home game portion of the schedule, ranking as one of the largest one season increases in the Dome era (1980-present). Oh, and get this, Syracuse season tickets for six games, including Clemson, start at $125. The average ticket to one Buffalo Bills home game last season was $70.

In fact, the first and second level season ticket allotment for the building is down to under 1,250 tickets. That growth, combined with a traveling contingent rooting on their beloved Tigers, will ensure a sellout crowd baking in the Dome’s sauna-like conditions when nearly 50,000 people are in the building to welcome Clemson on Sept. 14.

(What was the daytime high temperature on campus last Sept. 14? 81 degrees, let’s hope for a night game.)

picture1.png

Recruit Spotlight: Jack Collins, Cicero-North Syracuse High School (usatodayhss.com)

As a sophomore in 2017, his Cicero-North Syracuse football team won their first Sectional Championship (NY) in school history. He was the defensive play caller, led the team in tackles and was an All-League selection. In 2018, he again called the defense, led the team in tackles and helped his Northstar team to a second Sectional Championship. He was an All-Central New York Selection for his efforts, as a junior. In his last two seasons combined, he amassed a total of 225 tackles.

He scored a 1360 on his SAT. He is a member of more clubs than I have time to list. He’s polite, he does things the right way and he epitomizes what it means to be a student-athlete. And, he’s got another year of high school football to go! He is Jack Collins, this week’s USA Today High School Sports Recruit Spotlight.

Player Profile

JACK COLLINS
High School: Cicero-North Syracuse
Hometown: Cicero, NY
Height | Weight: 6’ | 210 lbs

Dee Brown named West Orange High football coach | Observer Preps | West Orange Times & Observer | West Orange Times & Windermere Observer (orangeobserver.com; Herring)

After a monthlong coaching search, the West Orange football team finally has its new head coach.

The school announced last week former Syracuse running back and NFL veteran Dee Brown will take over the Warriors’ program following the departure of interim head coach Terence Tolbert — who left for Wekiva.

Although he is still in the process of getting his family and himself to Winter Garden, Brown already has met with the team and is ready to get going.

“I am super excited,” he said. “I talked to my boys today, and obviously meeting them for the first time was going to be a little bit nervous for both sides, but it didn’t take long for those guys to get comfortable for me. I just felt right at home. Sometimes, you walk into a place or you put on a shoe, and it just fits — you have that feeling.

“The young men, they welcomed me with open arms,” Brown said. “I told them, ‘As long as you guys allow me to put everything that I have into you and you receive it, we’ll have a great time together.’”

A native of Clearwater, Brown comes to West Orange with years of football experience, which all started during his time at Lake Brantley in Altamonte Springs. His play at running back for the Patriots got the attention of the Syracuse football program, where he played for four years (1997-2000). In college, he rushed for more than 2,600 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Syracuse Football: AAF disbands, former SU players get screwed (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Will Dave Boller return to Syracuse now?

The Alliance of American Football is over and all of the Syracuse football players who were in this league just got screwed. Here are all the details.

Something that has been speculated was confirmed this week: the Alliance of American Football is over.

Well technically the legal term being used is “the suspension of football operations”, but several sources have confirmed that any member of the football staff (player, coach, executives) have all been fired and removed.

This decision was solely made by majority owner Tom Dundon. He bought a majority stake in mid-February and when you own the majority, you make the decisions. That’s where problems started to arise.

Darren Rovell revealed the heart of the issue here via the Action Network:

30 Minutes in Orange Nation | WTLA-AM (espnsyracuse.com; radio; Seth and Steve)

Steve and Seth discuss the upcoming renovations to the Dome, and take callers on the issue, specifically which SU teams will be forced to play their games elsewhere during the construction.

ACC Quarterback Depth Chart Breakdown: The Starters Will Be ... (CFN; Fiutak)

Boston College Eagles

Current Projected Starter: Anthony Brown, Jr.

Brown is the veteran who was great when healthy, but he was coming off a knee injury and got banged up late in the year. EJ Perry is a solid No. 2 option who saw time behind Brown, and Matt McDonald is in the hunt for the backup job.

Clemson Tigers

Current Projected Starter: Trevor Lawrence, Soph.

Hunter Johnson is going to start at Northwestern, and Kelly Bryant will get the call at Missouri. It would be nice to have those two around for depth, but Lawrence is the obvious superstar for the next two years. Chase Brice – the hero who saved the day against Syracuse – is the backup.

Duke Blue Devils

Current Projected Starter: Quentin Harris, Sr.

Daniel Jones took off early, but the Blue Devils are in fine shape with Harris – he’s the sure-thing No. 1 who’s making the team his. Chris Katrenick was the No. 3 last year, and now the sophomore is battling with redshirt freshman Gunnar Holberg to backup Harris.

Florida State Seminoles

Current Projected Starter: James Blackman, Jr.

This is going to be a whole lot of fun this August. Blackman is beefing up to get ready to be the No. 1 guy, but Alex Hornibrook didn’t transfer from Wisconsin to sit on the bench.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Current Projected Starter: Lucas Johnson, Jr.

Who can be the one to make the pivot from the former triple-option attack to what new head man Geoff Collins wants to run? Put this depth chart in pencil as three prospects start to prove they can throw the forward pass on a consistent basis.

Heyward and Holman Provide Spring Practice Update (goduke.com)

The Duke football team completed its 12th spring workout Wednesday morning at the Books Practice Facility. The program’s annual Spring Showcase is set for Friday with free admission. The event will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra beginning at 6:30 p.m.

Blue Devil Network’s Dave Harding spoke with rising redshirt freshmen Casey Holman and Shaka Heyward following the Wednesday workout to discuss the progress Duke has made this spring. Last fall, Holman, an offensive guard from Snellville, Ga., played in four games and was on the field for 51 snaps. Heyward also experienced action in four contests during the 2018 campaign. A linebacker from Hoschton, Ga., was on the field for 18 snaps.

Duke opens the 2019 season versus Alabama inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game on August 31. Tickets for the contest, as well as season tickets, may be purchased by calling the Duke Athletic Ticket Office at 919-681-BLUE or online at GoDuke.com/FootballTix.

650x366

Boston College RB AJ Dillon aspires to be best, help Eagles vie for an ACC title (orlandosentinel.com; Murschel)

Like many of us, Boston College’s AJ Dillon has a sweet tooth. But when the junior running back decided to refocus his energy this spring into becoming one of the best college football players in the country, those sugary treats were the first things to go.

“I love the sweets. I love junk food like everybody does but at the same time you have to work out what’s worth sacrificing,” Dillon said of his decision to cut out unnecessary sugar in his diet.

It’s a choice Dillon shared with running backs coach Brian White and head coach Steve Addazio when he sat down with them at the beginning of spring to discuss his goals this season.

“I told them I had the mindset that when I come into this season, I want to be the greatest player ever. I want to be the best that’s ever played at Boston College. I want to be the best in the country next year. I want all of those things,” Dillon said of the conversation. “They sat down and looked me in the eyes and said those things are achievable but there are a lot of things you’re going to have to sacrifice.”

The sacrifice is worth it to Dillon who wants to be able to participate in every rep in practice while having the ability to go all-out at every turn.

It seems as if the 6-foot, 250-pounder has been going full-bore since arriving at the school as a 3-star prospect...

North Carolina coach Mack Brown: ‘I want our fans to get excited about coming back out for football’ (myrtlebeachonline.com; video; Willett)

Coach Mack Brown talks about the importance of the Spring game, and how the program is progressing under his leadership.

Look: Clemson receives national championship rings (newsobserver.com; Connolly)

for gbo

Clemson defeated Alabama in the national championship game in January to earn its second national title in three years.

Tigers players, coaches and staff members received their national title rings on Wednesday, about three months after Clemson won the title.

The rings feature a tiger paw with diamonds in the center, the score of the national championship game on one side and the words “best ever” on the other.

Here is a look at the rings:

[image]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3Q9kJvWwAAI1It.jpg[/image]

NFL Draft 2019: Is Clelin Ferrell Clemson’s best defensive line prospect? (saturdayblitz.com; Jernigan)

for gbo

Starters from Clemson’s defensive line will all be selected in the 2019 NFL Draft. Among them, Clelin Ferrell will be making the biggest impact.

Over the past few years, the Clemson Tigers’ defensive line has cause havoc to opposing offenses. This line consisted of Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence and Clelin Ferrell. While all three will likely be selected within the first two rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft, Ferrell is sure to be the first chosen.

While Ferrell’s draft stock may have dropped slightly with the outstanding performances of defensive ends in the NFL Combine, he is, without a doubt, a first-round pick.

Strengths

Ferrell is 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds. His strength goes without saying. However, his ability to hold the edge is explained by his deceptive quickness. While many see him as a potential pass-rusher in the NFL, he is more likely to be used as someone who stops quick running backs or scrambling quarterbacks.

But of course, his ability to get to the quarterback should not be disregarded. Ferrell recorded 11.5 sacks in the Tigers’ 2018 National Championship winning year but what was more impressive was his 20 tackles for loss. These statistics demonstrate his pure capabilities to get in the backfield and be a playmaker.

Lastly, Ferrell has proven he can perform on the biggest stages. Despite only playing in one game as a freshman, he was instrumental in the Tigers’ success over the past four seasons. In those four years, he has contributed to a Clemson team that played in three National Championship games, winning two of them. Playing in the ACC and in the College Football Playoff, Ferrell will be better prepared for the intensity of a given NFL game.

ACC Football Rx: Interview with JFann, AllSportsDiscussion (RX; HM)

Q. I understand you're an ACC alumnus. What made you want to follow more than one ACC team?

Even before I went to school at Georgia Tech then Clemson, for whatever reason I gravitated towards the ACC schools. I loved ACC basketball growing up. It didn't matter who was playing because the teams were always so good, it was like a NCAA tournament game every night.

Q. What moved you to start AllSportsDiscussion?

Really what started it was around 2011, when the expansion rumors were out of control bashing the ACC, and ACC football was at a lowpoint. I thought the ACC and it's teams were getting a lot of negative coverage. I wanted to balance out that negativity - especially the expansion rumors which were in large part non-sense. I also just had a lot opinions on sports, usually ACC that I felt like putting out. @Hokiesmash_ASD was my first contributor about year later. He had a radio background, and when the topic came up to start up a podcast, he was perfect for it. I run the site, but the podcast is all his. I just show up to co-host. He does all the leg work lining up guests and questions.

Q. Are there certain teams you follow more closely than others?

Georgia Tech and Clemson I follow the most closely since I went to graduated from those universities.

ACC Football Rx: Tweets - PFF Draft edition - 4/3/19 (RX; HM)

Here are some ACC-specific tweets from @PFF_College:

PFF Draft

@PFF_College

Hunter Renfrow was the most sure-handed wide receiver in the ACC this season. He only had one drop on 50 catchable passes.

8:13 PM - Mar 30, 2019

Renfro is the poster-child for all walk-ons and lightly-recruited players everywhere: find a skill which doesn't require unusual size or speed (e.g. catching ability) and excel at it!

Q. What are some of the biggest stories of the last 4 years - in your opinion?

1) The ACC Network announcement

Any remaining doubt the long-term viability of the ACC ended when the ACC Network was announced. I can't wait for it's launch.

2) Clemson Football

Clemson becoming a the premier college football program along with Alabama. 2 National titles in 3 years are you kidding?

3) 2016 ACC Football

This was an astonishing season. Clemson was the national title winner, but the conference won 9 bowl games, and had a 10-4 record against the SEC. It was the unquestioned #1 football conference in America that year. That did seem possible just a few years earlier.

ACC Football Rx: Team with 2 P5 OOC most years (RX; HM)

Yesterday we showed you how Clemson is scheduling a marquee P5 non-conference opponent every year to go along with their annual rivalry game with South Carolina (plus 8 ACC games). This time, I'm showing you 5 other ACC teams with similar scheduling philosophies.

First, you'd have to think the other 3 teams with annual SEC rivalry games would all be candidates for a second P5 non-conference opponent -- and you'd be correct.

ACC Florida State vs. Louisville vs. Ga Tech vs.

SEC Florida Kentucky Georgia
Year Additional P5 opponents:
2019 Boise State (JAX) Notre Dame na
2020 W. Virginia (ATL) @ Notre Dame Notre Dame
2021 Notre Dame Ole Miss (ATL) @ Notre Dame
2022 tbd na Ole Miss
2023 tbd IU (IND), ND @ Ole Miss
2024 @ Notre Dame Indiana Notre Dame
2025 tbd @ Indiana @ Colorado
2026 Notre Dame @ Notre Dame Colorado
2027 Georgia tbd @ Notre Dame
2028 @ Georgia tbd tbd
2029 Notre Dame tbd @ Notre Dame
2030 @ Notre Dame Notre Dame tbd
2031 tbd tbd tbd
2032 @ Notre Dame @ Notre Dame Notre Dame
2033 tbd Notre Dame tbd
2034 tbd tbd tbd
2035 tbd @ Notre Dame tbd
2036 @ Notre Dame tbd Notre Dame

Georgia Tech Football: Special teams have a chance to be special in 2019 (yellowjackedup.com; Callaghan-Croley)

In the final part of our spring position previews, we take a look at Georgia Tech’s special teams which truly have a chance to be special in 2019.

Last year, Georgia Tech’s special teams were up-and-down at times. They had their struggles and they had their fair share of successes. That being said, in 2019, the Jackets special teams truly has a chance to be a special unit.

Kicker:

The Jackets have one scholarship kicker on the roster in Brenton King but if last year is any indication, King will not be the Jackets starting placekicker in 2019. Instead, walk-on Wesley Wells seems like the more likely option heading into 2019 and will have a chance to prove himself once again this spring.

Two more Georgia football players arrested; Kirby Smart ‘extremely disappointed,’ says he’s ‘done a poor job with this group’ (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com; Taylor)

At some point, it’s going to be easier to list the Georgia football players who haven’t run afoul of the law this offseason than those who have.

Last month, four of Kirby Smart‘s Bulldogs were arrested for various offenses, with those ranging from traffic violations/suspended license (linebacker Jaden Hunter) to simple battery (defensive back Latavious Brini) to disorderly conduct (cornerback Tyrique Stevenson, wide receiver Tyler Simmons). With the calendar turning to April, the arrests in Athens have yet to abate as two more UGA football players, sophomore linebackers Robert Beal and Brenton Cox, were arrested Tuesday and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

Details of what led to the latest issue have yet to be released, although Smart has, once again, been forced to address the off-field issues that have hit his program.

Other

AU7D755P4NHUNJABHOXV44LPBU.JPG

Route 31 Smokehouse BBQ: New restaurant opens at Great Northern Mall in Clay (PS; Pucci)

Mall food courts are often dominated by grab-and-go fast food, but inside the Great Northern Mall, there’s a new restaurant offering just the opposite.

Han Blackmer, an optician who owns Blackmer Family Eyewear in the same mall, was trying to convince Jon Williams to open a restaurant. He had feasted on Williams’ barbecue at parties and family gatherings and wanted the public to have a taste.

It took five years before Williams agreed, but his efforts paid off and the two opened Route 31 Smokehouse BBQ inside the mall food court in early February.

Williams grew up in restaurants. He was an executive chef at an Embassy Suites and ran his first kitchen at age 18. Later, as a corporate trainer for Applebee’s, he was flown across the country to train the kitchen staff at new restaurants.

Before launching Route 31 Smokehouse BBQ, Williams worked as a truck driver and his cross-country travels are well represented in the menu. The four homemade barbecue sauces: Original, chipotle, whiskey peach and apple habanero, are in-tune with sweeter, Kansas City style sauces. They’re served on the side, because “dry barbecue” is what Williams learned when he was in Texas.

The beef brisket, with a rich, pink smoke ring at least a quarter-inch thick, is another taste of the Lone Star State. The Memphis-style pulled pork sandwich, topped with tangy, vinegar-based coleslaw, would feel right at home in the Carolinas as well.

“I’d put my food next to anyone and take my chances," Williams said.

Williams developed the menu (available on the restaurant’s Facebook page) and cooks the food, which can take up to 16 hours for the pulled pork and 14 hours for the beef brisket. That means early mornings—Williams starts smoking meats most days at 5 a.m. All the side dishes, salads and starters are made in-house as well.

“It’s time-consuming, but it’s a labor of love,” Williams said.
My dude