Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1Teddy-Bear-1-cutout-with-shadow-250x208.jpg

Welcome to National Teddy Bear Day!

National Teddy Bear Day is dedicated to the stuffed bear that was named after the 26th President of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt. In November 1902, Roosevelt, an avid hunter, went on a hunting excursion organized by Mississippi's governor, Andrew Longino, in Smedes, Mississippi. Roosevelt was accompanied by some aides, other hunters, and reporters, as well as a hunting guide, Holt Collier, and his hunting dogs. After a few days without success, Roosevelt and the hunting dogs were on the trail of a black bear. Having thought that they had lost the bear, Roosevelt went back to camp, but Collier and his dogs kept searching. Collier and his dogs found the 235 pound bear, and the dogs circled it and began biting and attacking it. The bear killed one of the dogs, and Collier clubbed the bear over the head and tied it to a tree. He bugled for Roosevelt, who found the bear mauled from the the dogs, and refused to shoot it. He also forbade anyone else from shooting it, but as the bear was so injured, he had the bear put out of its misery by having it be killed with a hunting knife.

SU News

What went wrong for Syracuse football defense in Maryland blowout? (podcast) (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse football’s 63-20 loss at Maryland on Saturday was one of the most disappointing results in recent program history.

The Orange ventured to College Park, Md., nationally ranked with a chance to bring ESPN’s College GameDay to Central New York for Week 3 against No. 1 Clemson. Then the SU defense allowed seven touchdowns in the Terrapins’ first eight drives. The offense struggled to move the ball consistently behind an unproven front five.

Once Syracuse fans are past the acceptance stage of this weekend’s shocking results, continue your coping process by listening to me and Julian Whigham break the contest down below. How can SU’s defense regain the edge that led it to be among the nation’s leaders in sacks, turnovers forced and third-down efficiency last year? We delve into that question, evaluate Tommy DeVito’s performance at UMD and assess long-term position groups of concern.

Syracuse 20, Maryland 63 — Three Things We Learned - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse was routed by Maryland, 63-20, on Saturday in Week 2. Here are three things we learned from the game.

DEFENSE TORCHED BY TERRAPINS

The numbers were not pretty for Syracuse’s defense.

One week after pitching a shutout against an overmatched Liberty team, Syracuse looked overmatched against the Terrapins.

Whether it was on the ground or in the air, Syracuse’s defense was helpless against Maryland. The Terrapins amassed 354 yards rushing and 296 yards through the air. Virginia Tech transfer Josh Jackson continued his torrid start to the season, throwing for three touchdowns, while running back Javon Leake rushed seven times for 107 yards and two touchdowns.

Particularly disheartening was SU’s third down defense. Syracuse surrendered 11 of 15 third down opportunities, some on missed tackles. That was a theme throughout the afternoon, with SU’s linebackers particularly struggling.

“When you have missed tackles on defense, whether it’s linebackers, back end, or D lineman, you’re going to get guys extending plays,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said. “You look at the third downs, I mean, that’s, that’s an amazing statistic, no matter who you’re playing. And that is not indicative of our defense, we’re normally fantastic on third down.”

One of the few bright spots for Syracuse on Saturday was the performance of wide receiver Trishton Jackson. He had the best game of his college career, catching seven passes for 157 yards and two touchdowns.

Jackson caught a nine-yards pass from Tommy DeVito with just under five minutes in the first quarter to pull SU to within 14-7. By the time Jackson caught his second score in the third quarter, the game was already out of hand, with the Orange trailing 49-20.

Jackson sharp as Maryland blows out No. 21 Syracuse 63-20 (usatoday.com; AP)

Using a fast-paced offense that's racking up huge chunks of yardage and scoring at an astounding clip, Maryland isn't content merely to blow out the opposition.

The objective Saturday was to pound No. 21 Syracuse into submission.

"Our goal was to try to make them quit, and I think we did a good job at that," quarterback Josh Jackson said after the Terrapins rolled to a surprisingly easy 63-20 victory.

Jackson threw for 296 yards and three touchdowns to anchor another prolific offensive performance by Maryland, which scored 42 first-half points and finished with a whopping 650 yards in offense.

After beating Howard 79-0 in their first game under coach Michael Locksley, the Terrapins (2-0) came up with an impressive encore against a highly regarded foe.

The 63 points were the most ever by Maryland against a ranked opponent. Although Locksley eased up after a 64-yard touchdown run by Javon Leake early in the third quarter, the Terrapins finished with 29 first downs and 354 yards rushing.

It was the most lopsided victory by an unranked team over a ranked team since Oklahoma beat No. 13 Texas A&M 51-13 on Oct. 23, 1999.

Locksley came to Maryland after serving as offensive coordinator at Alabama, and Jackson transferred from Virginia Tech in February. The two have teamed to form a quick-strike offense that is equally effective on the ground and through the air.

Jackson completed 21 of 38 passes, attempting only two throws in the fourth quarter. He has tossed seven TD passes in two games with one interception.

"Our style of play, it's hard to match it — our tempo and the way we executed it," Jackson said. "That's kind of what we expect. None of us thought this was a surprise for us to be able to put up points."

Three takeaways from Maryland football’s 63-20 win over No. 21 Syracuse (baltimoresun.com; Staff)

From coach Mike Locksley’s pursuit of perfection to offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery’s play-calling to the Terps potentially getting ranked for the first time since 2013, here are three takeaways from Maryland football’s 63-20 win Saturday over Syracuse.

Raising the bar

Locksley was in a playful mood after his team’s offense dismantled what supposed to be a tough Syracuse defense and saw his defense make enough plays — both early and late — against what was expected to be another high-scoring offense under fourth-year coach Dino Babers.

The first-year coach joked when reminded that he said a team improves the most between its first and second game. Looking deadpan at the reporter who asked how the Terps could do any better than they had against the No. 21 Orange, Locksley said, “I think you see the biggest jump between Game 2 and Game 3.”

After adding, “You keep adding to it so you can’t pin me down,” Locksley turned serious — and blunt.

It showed that he expects the Terps to play to a higher standard than many thought possible going into the season.

“I thought our execution was better,” he said. "The one play that sits in my craw was the interception [by quarterback Josh Jackson]. I thought it was a poor decision. I’m a negative Nelly when it comes to bad football plays and that was a bad play for us.

“We had more penalties than I would like [five for 30 yards]. Offside on the kickoff to start the game. Those are the things that makes my skin crawl, when we get these dumb penalties. ... As we like to say, ‘It gets you when it gets you.’ Those things will come back to haunt us if we don’t get it cleaned up.”

Graham: Syracuse reverted to old ways. How to stop it from happening again isn’t clear. (DO; Graham)

It’s been a long time since Syracuse played like it did on Saturday.

One needs to track back to 2017 to find the last time the Orange surrendered 60-plus points and another year further to 2016 when Lamar Jackson racked up 610 yards and five touchdowns to find a similarly prolific offensive display to what Maryland put up on Saturday.

“There’s no way that that’s exactly what our football team is,” Babers said following the blowout.

The Orange reverted to its old ways Saturday, getting run over on defense and hoping for its offense to keep pace just to give them a chance. It cost the soon-to-be-unranked No. 21 Syracuse (1-1) as the Terrapins outclassed the Orange in every phase of play en route to a 43-point victory, handing Syracuse the third-worst margin of loss in the Dino Babers era.

With the Orange hosting No. 1 Clemson this Saturday, it isn’t obvious how Syracuse can make sure of its coach’s decree — that the lopsided loss to Maryland was an aberration — and show 2018 wasn’t a blip on the timeline of Syracuse football.

“Now we have to decide what the 2019 team’s gonna be,” Babers said. “You don’t have the memories of the 2018 season anymore after something like this. So now, what kind of team is the 2019 football team gonna be?”

In every phase of the game, Syracuse failed. For the second-straight week, the offense struggled from the outset and this time, it was too late once it got going. The defense was missing in action. Even Andre Szmyt, who a year ago won the Lou Groza Award, given to the nation’s best kicker, missed an extra point for the first time in his career.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article234857962.html (newsobserver.com; Connolly)

Clemson passed what will likely be its toughest test of the regular season Saturday, handling Texas A&M 24-10. Here is what we learned from the win before the top-ranked Tigers travel to Syracuse this coming Saturday:

The Aggies weren’t ready for Death Valley

Texas A&M players thought they would be able to handle the crowd noise at Clemson, and offensive lineman Jared Hocker went as far as to proclaim, “There will be an upset.” But the Aggies offense wasn’t ready for Brent Venables’ defense or the environment. Texas A&M committed nine penalties for 85 yards, and five of them were pre-snap penalties by the offense. There were four false starts by the offensive line and a delay of game. Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond also appeared rattled, missing open receivers from the first series on.

“They try to replicate it but it’s hard,” Tigers safety Tanner Muse said. “Death Valley is a monster. It will eat you up and spit you out.”

Clemson wanted to leave no doubt

The Tigers won at Texas A&M a year ago, but it was far from pretty. Clemson nearly blew a 28-13 second-half lead before getting a stop on a two-point conversion late to hold on for the win. While the victory was a big one for Clemson, it also left the Tigers far from satisfied. Clemson came out on a mission Saturday to show that without a doubt it is a better team than Texas A&M. Mission accomplished.

“It was a big game. Last year kind of left some doubt,” star quarterback Trevor Lawrence said. “A lot of people said it was lucky we came out of there with a win. So we wanted to leave no doubt this year, and I think we did that.”

Clemson-Syracuse match-up loses luster, but remains key ACC showdown (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

So much for the battle of the unbeatens.

Clemson kept up its end of the bargain, topping No. 11 Texas A&M on Saturday, but Syracuse failed to follow suit, suffering a 63-20 defeat at the hands of Maryland that removed at least some of the luster from Saturday’s Atlantic Division showdown at the Carrier Dome.

“Obviously we’re not as good as the first game,” Syracuse coach Dino Babers said. “And I would like to think we’re not as bad as the second game, that we’re somewhere in the middle.”

Syracuse (1-1), which opened the season with a 24-0 victory at Liberty, fell behind the Terrapins 42-13 at halftime and never recovered. Maryland amassed 650 yards of offense.

“This is definitely humble pie,” Babers said. “I don’t know what it tastes like, but it probably tastes just like the way I feel right now.”

The Syracuse loss isn’t good for Clemson. The Orange, who are likely to drop completely out of the rankings this week after entering the Maryland game at No. 22, potentially represented the lone ranked opponent Clemson may face during the remainder of the regular season.

Recruits React to Syracuse's Loss at Maryland (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse football suffered its first loss of the season at Maryland on Saturday. Losing a road game against a power five team was not a surprise, but the margin of victory, 43 points, was. Nothing seemed to go right for the Orange in Saturday's game, but that does not mean future and prospective Syracuse players are discouraged. Here are what several recruits had to say about the loss.

2020 CB Commit Chase Atkinson

"We just came out sluggish in the beginning. Defensive wise, I think we just got outplayed, but I'm sure we're going to be ready to ball out next Saturday against them Tigers."

2020 Iowa WR Commit Diante Vines

"I didn't watch the game because I had a scrimmage but I seen the score. Anyway though, all teams have an off day. It's college football. Any team can win on any given day. They are still a great team and will be just fine for the rest of the season."

2021 QB Christian Veilleux

"I was at the game. Thought Maryland played well, not Syracuse played bad."

10 things we learned in the Miami Hurricanes' 28-25 loss to the North Carolina Tar Heels (sun-sentinel.com; Furone)

UM not making winning plays
Just showing fight wasn’t enough against No. 8 Florida, as underwhelming as the Gators may have been in that opener, and it certainly wouldn’t cut it against UNC. On a 22-3 run to take a fourth-quarter lead after trailing by two touchdowns, Miami had to finish it, and the Hurricanes didn’t. They allowed a fourth-and-17 to get converted between cornerback Trajan Bandy and safety Gurvan Hall to extend UNC’s final drive. After giving up the touchdown, the Hurricanes drove but it stalled just outside the UNC 30 and Bubba Baxa missed from 49 yards.

Special teams leaving points on the field
Even before the long attempt with five seconds left, Baxa missed a gimme from 26 yards out early in the second quarter. That after missing from similar range against Florida two weeks prior. When Miami clawed back, it was a blocked extra point to keep the Hurricanes from tying it at 20. That then was compounded by having to go for two on the next touchdown, a conversion attempt that failed and left more points on the field. And Miami coach Manny Diaz went for it on fourth-and-a-long-1 from the UNC 19-yard line and Jarren Williams came up short on an option run in a situation early in the second half where three more points on the board would’ve been vital.

Too many breakdowns in the secondary
DJ Ivey struggled early, getting the start in his first game after sitting two weeks ago due to suspension. He got beat to set up UNC’s opening-drive field goal and later had a pass interference penalty in the end zone that led to the touchdown that made it 17-3. The usually reliable Trajan Bandy got burned over the top on the 62-yard touchdown that preceded that one. He may have been expecting safety help, but safety Robert Knowles went from shading Bandy’s side to the middle of the field off of UNC presnap motion and didn’t take the deep part of the field. Senior linebacker Shaq Quarterman attributed the early breakdowns to lack of communication.

College football bowl projections: Oregon puts itself in position after bounce-back win (cbssports.com; Palm)

With the top teams performing as you would expect on Saturday, led by Clemson's 24-10 win over Texas A&M, there are no changes to the College Football Playoff projections. However, thanks to a couple of upsets, there has been some movement among the teams projected to play in the New Year's Six bowl games.

Mack Brown is now 2-0 in his return to coaching at North Carolina. The Tar Heels scored the game-winning touchdown with just over a minute left to defeat Miami, 28-25. The Hurricanes had been projected to be the ACC representative in the Orange Bowl, but that distinction now goes to Virginia. Miami is now projected to the Sun Bowl. Yes, it's that fine of a line in the ACC. Many teams are projected to be within a game or two of each other.

Out West, in Pac-12 Way After Dark action, Cal stunned Washington 20-19 in Seattle after seeing the start of the game delayed over two hours due to weather. Washington still has a schedule advantage in the Pac-12 with Oregon, Washington State and Utah having to play it at home, but the Huskies do not look capable of running the table now. That loss to the Golden Bears will keep them out of the Rose Bowl.

Oregon bounced back from last week's disappointing loss to Auburn by pounding Nevada, 77-6. The Ducks are now projected to represent the Pac-12 in Pasadena, California.

2020 College Football Playoff

Date Game / Loc. Matchup Prediction

Jan. 13 National Championship
New Orleans
Title game Semifinal winners
Dec. 28 Peach Bowl
Atlanta
Semifinal (1) Alabama vs. (4) Georgia
Dec. 28 Fiesta Bowl
Glendale, Ariz.
Semifinal (2) Clemson vs. (3) Oklahoma
Selection committee bowl games
Date Bowl / Location Matchup Prediction

Jan. 1 Sugar
New Orleans
SEC vs. Big 12 LSU vs. Texas
Jan. 1 Rose
Pasadena, Calif.
Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Ohio State vs. Oregon
Dec. 30 Orange
Miami Gardens, Fla.
ACC vs. SEC/B1G/ND Virginia vs. Notre Dame
Dec. 28 Cotton
Arlington, Tex.
At-large vs. At-large UCF vs. Michigan

In other Pac-12 action, USC is back in the bowl projections after a dominating 45-20 win over Stanford. No J.T. Daniels, no problem. Trojans freshman backup quarterback Kedon Slovis had a big game, throwing for 377 yards and three touchdowns in his first USC start.

Minnesota also joins the list after beating Fresno State on the road in overtime. Maryland jumps into the projections after crushing Syracuse, 63-20. For the first time in the College Football Playoff era, I not only have enough Big Ten teams for all of the league's bowls, I actually have one too many. That's why the Gophers are projected into the SEC's slot in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The SEC will struggle, as usual, to fit all of their spots if the current projections hold. There are two SEC teams projected to the CFP and another in the Sugar Bowl. Even if league does not place two teams in the playoff, having at least three in the New Year's Six seems likely. That and the disparity between the top and bottom of the league creates a projection of the SEC coming up three teams short.

Overall, though, I am projecting two teams too many. It is rare for me to project too many eligible teams this early in the season, but that is what I have. Miami-Ohio and Buffalo are projected to be eligible but left out of the bowl season.

Winners and losers from college football's Week 2 led by Clemson and Syracuse (usatoday.com; Myerberg)

For Clemson, this year's matchup with Texas A&M was slightly less dramatic than the back-and-forth showdown from last September. Saturday's meeting was barely in doubt after the early going: Clemson put the clamps on Kellen Mond and the Aggies' offense and rode a dominant second quarter to a misleadingly close 24-10 win. (A&M scored a garbage touchdown with seconds left.)

After throwing two interceptions in the Tigers' opener against Georgia Tech, sophomore quarterback Trevor Lawrence completed 24-of-35 attempts for 268 yards and two touchdowns, one on the ground. A handful of throws undoubtedly made NFL talent evaluators weak in the knees, as Lawrence tends to do.
Texas A&M isn't ready for the sort of challenge presented by a road trip in September to face the defending national champions. That's doubly so true when Clemson so obviously took motivation from the way Mond and the Aggies scored nearly at will during the second half of last year's win. Clemson's defense decided to shut down A&M, and so the Clemson defense did just that.

Clemson is in a different class than pretty much everyone else, A&M included.

More: Underdogs get valuable lesson, Jim Harbaugh gets lucky and more college football observations from Week 2
This was supposed to be the start of a two-game stretch that would decide Clemson's regular season. The first, home for the Aggies, turned out to be a dud. A&M is going places but remains several rungs below Clemson on the Bowl Subdivision ladder. The second seems even more meaningless: Syracuse was the only other ranked team in the ACC but will be limping into next weekend after getting bombed by Maryland.

All of a sudden, Clemson's seemingly easy path back to the College Football Playoff just got easier. Here are the rest of college football's winners and losers from Saturday's action:

WINNERS

LSU
If you'd been told at any point in the past decade that LSU had thrown for 471 yards and four touchdowns you might say: Sure, but in what month? (LSU actually threw for 521 yards last October. The entire month of October.) For the second game in a row, this time in a 45-38 win at Texas, the Tigers' new offense completed more than 30 passes with four passing touchdowns. The program hadn't had a single game meeting both those benchmarks from 2000 through the end of last season. Clearly, the explosive new scheme is one of the most interesting developments of the early season.
TIGERS ROAR: Burrow leads way as No. 6 LSU holds off No. 9 Texas
Michigan
The 24-21 win in double overtime against Army will be a game everyone talks about for the rest of the weekend but few will remember in detail by the end of November. The blip of an overreaction is pretty standard for college football. By the end of the regular season, Michigan's win against the Black Knights may end up being an asset for the Wolverines' postseason case and not the sort of sky-is-falling disaster it was made out to be on Saturday afternoon. Of bigger concern is how Michigan's offense struggled controlling the line of scrimmage and in converting short-yardage situations. On the other hand, the defense held Army to just 200 rushing yards on 3.3 yards per carry. So it wasn't all bad. Not to mention: the Wolverines won. In the race for the Playoff, that's really all that matters.
NAIL-BITER: No. 7 Michigan survives upset bid from Army in overtime

Southern California
The Trojans' 45-20 win against Stanford ranks among the biggest of Clay Helton's tenure, along with one of the most unexpected. While Stanford was dealing with injury issues of its own, USC came into the game without sophomore quarterback JT Daniels, who was lost for the season in the first half of last weekend's win against Fresno State. Starting in his stead, true freshman Kedon Slovis threw for 377 yards and three touchdowns to pace a victory that improves Helton's job security and changes the narrative around USC's place in the Pac-12 race. Slovis is going be one of this week's biggest stories in college football.

Justin Fields
The Georgia transfer was terrific for the second week in a row for Ohio State. After throwing for 234 yards and four touchdowns in the opener against Florida Atlantic, Fields accounted for 266 yards of total offense and another four combined scores in the Buckeyes' impressive 42-0 shutout of Cincinnati. Tougher tests await for both Fields and this offense, but he's been everything Ryan Day and this coaching staff could've hoped for through two games.

Colorado
Down 17-0 at halftime, 24-14 early in the fourth quarter and 31-24 with less than a minute left, the Buffaloes fought back to grab a 34-31 win in overtime for the first marquee moment for new coach Mel Tucker. Quarterback Steven Montez threw for 375 yards and two touchdowns in giving Colorado a second win in as many years against its former conference rival. On the flip side, this is a tough loss for Scott Frost and Nebraska, which will fall out of this week's Amway Coaches Poll.

Maryland
It's pretty obvious that Maryland's going to be better than most expected, though that was always a low bar to clear. (Expectations were not high for coach Mike Locksley's first season.) After swamping Howard 79-0 last week and just destroying No. 23 Syracuse 63-20 on Saturday, the Terrapins are suddenly a trendy pick to reach a bowl game and shake up the preseason pecking order in the Big Ten East. At this rate, making a bowl game should be the baseline.

LOSERS
Tennessee
There's nothing left to say. The general opinion as of last weekend was that Tennessee had reached rock bottom with an awful loss at home to Georgia State. That the Volunteers continued to find new lows is as unsurprising as it is miserable for the traumatized fan base, which saw Saturday's 29-26 overtime loss to Brigham Young occur only after the Cougars' miracle completion late in the fourth quarter and game-tying field with one second left. (The kick barely squeezed inside the upright, of course.) Tennessee is now 0-2 for the first time since 1988 and has started 0-2 with both losses coming at home for the first time since 1980.

Florida State
Wins usually feel good, especially in the case of a Florida State program that hasn't done much of it since the start of the 2017 season. So, in that sense, congratulations: FSU beat Louisiana-Monroe for its first win on the year. By the way, the final score was 45-44 in overtime. Coming one week after losing at home to Boise State, that the Seminoles barely sneaked past a Sun Belt opponent is just more cause for alarm for a fan base understandably concerned about the current state of the program under coach Willie Taggart. As it turns out, FSU can't get stops on defense, makes avoidable mistakes and looks very much like the team that missed out on a bowl game a season ago.

Louisiana-Monroe
Twelve years ago, the Warhawks pulled off one of this century's more memorable upsets by knocking off Alabama in Nick Saban's first season. (No, I don't think Taggart and FSU are about to go on an Alabama-like run.) This one would've earned a similar place in program history regardless of the Seminoles' mediocrity. In general, ULM doesn't lose sleep over losing as heavy underdogs against Power Five competition. Except when it happens like this: ULM scores in the bottom of the first overtime to make it 45-44 and then, after deciding not to go for the two-point conversion, misses the extra-point try to give FSU the win. After scoring in just three plays in the overtime possession, the decision to not go for two was baffling.

Syracuse
So much for that huge, decades-in-the-waiting matchup against Clemson next Saturday. Were the Orange caught looking past Maryland? That argument would've worked had the Terrapins won by one touchdown, not six. It's more probable that Maryland revealed the Orange as an average team unworthy of a spot in the Coaches Poll. Boiled down, a team viewed as the second-best in the ACC just lost by 43 points to a team viewed in the preseason as one of the worst in the Big Ten.

Around the ACC: Week 2 Recap (fromtherumbleseat.com; Tankersley)

Wake Forest - 41 | Rice - 21
Believe it or not, this game was actually pretty close for a while. At the end of the first quarter, this game was tied at 14. And then it became a completely different game. The Demon Deacons started to dominate in every facet of the game, offensively and defensively. Quarterback Jamie Newnan led the way on offense, finishing 21-of-27 for 312 yards and three touchdowns. Newnan was aided on the ground and through the air. On the ground, freshman Kenneth Walker III ran the ball for 125 yards, including a 96-yard touchdown run. Through the air, Scotty Washington hauled in seven receptions for 158 yards and two touchdowns.
Wake Forest plays again Friday night against North Carolina.

William & Mary - 17 | Virginia - 52
The Cavaliers came out swinging in this game, leading 21-0 at the end of the first quarter. Bronco Mendenhall’s defense held William & Mary to just 170 yards of total offense, while the Cavs scored on offense, defense, and special teams. Bryce Perkins was okay in this game, collecting 266 total yards and three touchdowns, but he also turned the ball over twice. Cornerback Nick Grant had a pick-six and return man Joe Reed (who already has three career touchdown returns) added another one here. The Cavs weren’t perfect though, as they had a punt bounce right out of their hands. (#goacc)

If I’m being perfectly honest, this isn’t the most #goacc-worthy thing in the world, but I’m writing this portion before the Saturday slate, so I want to make sure there’s at least one candidate.
Virginia plays again Saturday against Florida State.

Ohio - 10 | Pitt - 20

Pitt made pretty quick work of Ohio behind a strong performance from Kenny Pickett and a good defensive performance. Pickett finished 26-of-37 for 321 yards and a touchdown, and the Panthers defense limited Ohio to just 169 total yards on offense. Senior Maruice Ffrench (yes, that’s how you spell it #goacc) was Pickett’s favorite target yesterday. He had 10 receptions for 138 yards and a long 74-yard touchdown.
Pitt plays again Saturday at Penn State.

Old Dominion - 17 | Virginia Tech - 31

Wow, this was a lot closer than the 28.5-point spread that was predicted for this game, so I’d like to take a second to gloat about me calling this in last week’s episode of the podcast. Anyway, in this game Virginia Tech was doing fine early, leading 17-3 at halftime, but the Monarchs just wouldn’t quit, and both teams scored 14 in the second half. The Hokies struggled to put the game away due to a poor rushing performance from the whole team. The team as a whole had just 131 yards on the ground, compared to Old Dominion’s 202.
Virginia Tech plays again Saturday against Furman.

Syracuse - 20 | Maryland - 63

Oof. So, uhh, Syracuse was supposed to be a pretty solid team this year. Doesn’t look like that’s happening. The Orange defense looked bad in this game, allowing first-year head coach Mike Locksley and the Terrapins have their way early and often. Honestly, this game was over almost as soon as it started.
Syracuse plays again Saturday against Clemson.

Other
LD7AGF7AMZCOXGQSC3WQXQSJ5Y.jpg

Big distribution center near Liverpool would bring nearly 1,300 vehicles at peak hours (PS; Moriarty)

A giant distribution center in Clay would draw almost 1,300 vehicles during rush hour, according to a traffic study conducted for the developer.

The study by SRF Associates, of Rochester, recommends that developer Trammell Crow Co. make improvements and modifications to four nearby intersections to handle the increased traffic.

According to the study, 1,289 vehicles would be entering or exiting the center during the peak morning hour of 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. and 1,268 vehicles during the peak afternoon hour of 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Most of them would be passenger vehicles driven by employees coming to or leaving work, according to the study. Only 20 trucks would be entering or leaving the property in the morning rush hour and 16 in the afternoon rush hour, it said.

Dallas-based Trammell Crow has proposed building the $280 million, 3.7-million-square-foot center on a 111-acre site currently occupied by the Liverpool Public Golf and Country Club at the northwest corner of Morgan Road and the Liverpool Bypass.

It would employ 1,000 people and would be operated by an e-commerce company or retailer that has not yet been named by Trammell. Logistics experts say it is likely e-commerce giant Amazon.

Last edited:
Guys, I soooooo wanted to be helping you celebrate a win today. You're still the best team in Upstate New York (as long as West Point isn't included). Anyway, VT's got its own problems. Best wishes against Western Michigan.

Trishton Jackson, Syracuse
Not lost in Syracuse’s loss at Maryland was Jackson’s performance as he had three explosive plays of 15 yards or more and finished with seven catches for 157 yards. With two scores and three more first-down receptions to his credit, he’s emerged as potentially Syracuse’s top receiving option.