Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
image_ad30db1e5f5bd36dba9264b15518d2e5.jpg

Welcome to International Hamburger Day!

International Hamburger Day celebrates hamburgers! Traditionally, a hamburger consists of a patty of ground beef that has been pan-fried, barbecued, or flame broiled, and it is served in a bun. Condiments such as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and relish are often included, as well as toppings such as lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, pickles, and cheese. Besides the hamburger made of ground beef, there are many variations of the burger, such as the turkey burger, veggie burger, and bison burger. Burgers are commonly served at fast food restaurants and diners, and even at high-end restaurants.

There are many people who claim to have invented the burger. Some sources say that Louis Lassen did it, at Louis' Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut, on July 28, 1900. No matter who came up with the hamburger, it was created sometime around the turn of the nineteenth century, and its popularity was boosted at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. Some popular early restaurants that served a burger were White Castle starting in 1921, Kewpee Hamburgers starting in 1923, Big Boy beginning in 1936, and McDonald's beginning in 1940. Although the hamburger was created in the United States, its name is taken from the city of Hamburg, Germany.

SU News

Syracuse Football: 3 biggest questions heading into summer 2020 (satrudayblitz.com; Smith)

Syracuse football is coming off a disappointing 2019 season and Dino Babers looks to turn things around. What questions are the Orange facing?

Coming off a 5-7 season, Dino Babers and Syracuse face a tough road to the top of the ACC.

In 2018, the Orange surged to a 10-win season, culminating in a Camping World Bowl victory over West Virginia.

Improving in these key areas quickly will get Syracuse back to its 2018 form. What questions are the Orange facing heading into the summer before the 2020 campaign?

3. Will the offensive line improve?

ESPN’s David Hale tweeted out an interesting graphic on Thursday detailing the Syracuse offensive line situation.

So is there hope for Syracuse? I'd say there's actually reason for LOTS of enthusiasm. The Orange return 4 likely starters: Servais, Davis, Vortello & Bergeron. But those guys were on the field together just 38% of snaps last year. These splits are insane…
— Hi, I’m David (@ADavidHaleJoint) May 21, 2020
Hale’s graphic reveals that the four returning (assumed) starting linemen are significantly better than most have given credit.

Aaron Servais, Dakota Davis, Carlos Vettorello and Matthew Bergeron were only on the field together for 38 percent of Syracuse’s offensive snaps, but the group performed significantly better than when at least one was not in the lineup. Quarterbacks were pressured 10 percent less, and the average yards gained were significantly higher.

As a whole, the offensive line struggled last season, surrendering 50 sacks to opponents. On average, opponents out-gained the Orange by 70 yards per game. During the 10-win 2018 season, the offense averaged 464 yards per game, compared to 394 yards per game in 2019.

Improvements along the line will go far in the development of Tommy DeVito.

Throwback Thursday Section

http://www.cgiunco.com/armyfootball/pdfs/Army vs Syracuse---1955 (1).pdf (cgiunco.com)

Story on 1955 Army Syracuse football game

http://www.cgiunco.com/armyfootball/pdfs/Army vs Syracuse---1960 (2).pdf (cgiunco.com)

Story on 1960 Army Syracuse football game

http://www.cgiunco.com/armyfootball/pdfs/Army vs Syracuse---1960 (1).pdf (cgiunco.com)

Another story on the 1960 Army Syracuse game

http://www.cgiunco.com/armyfootball/pdfs/Army vs Syracuse---1962 (2).pdf (cgiunco.com)

Story on the 1962 Army Syracuse game

http://www.cgiunco.com/armyfootball/pdfs/Army vs Syracuse---1964.pdf (cgiunco.com)

Story on 1964 Army Syracuse game

100 Things Syracuse Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die (google.com; Pitoniak)

The Ivy League, which competed in a conference originally know as the Eastern Intercollegiate League, was athletic royalty in the late 19th and early 20th century, dominating in most sports but particularly football and basketball. By the turn of the century, SU began holding its own against the Ivy League--to the point where in 1908 the school applied for membership. Nothing came of it so another attempt was made four years later, again to no avail. Some sports historians believe that Cornell may have thwarted Syracuse's efforts. Bad blood had developed between the schools as the result of several brawls that broke out between the Orangemen and the Big Red during a 1900 football game. The fights resulted in a suspension of the school's football series, and the two universities did not play each other in football again until 1933.

David Cutcliffe wants to make sure everyone takes the right approach to restarting college football :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Brownlow)

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe is one of college football's most respected voices. He's been in a lot of meetings about the future of college football in 2020. And when he joined The OG on Wednesday, he wasn't joining the chorus of those who say the earlier, the better.

And as evidenced with geographical differences in terms of policy and rules, it's far from a certainty that everyone will play.

"I've been in a lot of meetings that were national meetings that involved NCAA medical people. I'm a board member with the American Football Coaches Association, the Football Oversight Committee," Cutcliffe said. "One of the things that's very obvious throughout all of this, every time you think you know something, that changes — to some level anyway, sometimes completely. States, universities — there's going to be a difference. I think that you could see potentially if there's enough of a majority, if all of that happens, that we will play.

"I think if we're reckless and we get in too big a hurry, we sometimes probably do more damage to having a season than if we're just a little bit patient. Hopefully then we are ready to move forward. But we've got all the plans in place."

Cutcliffe is coaching his team from afar still, and Duke is all virtual. He says that his coaches have their schemes ready. He's not yet sure what Duke University is going to do — Duke will be open in the fall, it announced, but it won't announce specific plans as to what that will look like or even how many students will be allowed back until later in June.

Avg Attendance, last 5 yrs (RX; HM)

Avg Attendance, last 5 yrs

From "College Football Attendance 5-Year Average For Every School", here are the ACC-related attendance figures - along with a couple of columns I added on the right...

RankSchool5-yr Avg%FullUpsideUpside$
52Pitt43,11863.0%25,280$4,423,952
54Virginia42,03668.4%19,465$3,406,392
62Syracuse35,60972.3%13,656$2,389,836
79Duke27,11567.8%12,890$2,255,666
19Florida State68,65486.3%10,908$1,908,884
39Louisville49,89282.1%10,907$1,908,782

Way too early 2020 Bowl Predictions (May) (RX; HM)

Way too early 2020 Bowl Predictions (May)

Yeah, it's too dadgum early for this... but you know you want it anyway!

2020-2021 Bowl Projections, College Football Playoff Predictions: May Version

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
May Projection: Syracuse vs. Houston – SEC vs. ACC (or American Athletic)
My Comment: could be a good game!

Belk Bowl
May Projection: Virginia vs. Minnesota – ACC vs. Big Ten
My Comment: I just don't have any desire to watch this match-up.

Camping World Cheez-It Bowl
May Projection: Virginia Tech vs. Oklahoma State - ACC vs. Big 12
My Comment: If this happens I hope both teams wear orange uniforms!

This Week on ACCN (5/27-29) (RX; HM)

This Week on ACCN (5/27-29)

Today's ACCN schedule includes some Big East basketball games... and one from the old Metro Conference! (NOTE: I apologize for not posting this right away - I missed announcing some good football games on Saturday... Oh, well, maybe next Saturday?)

From an ESPN Press Release of May 21, 2020

• Packer and Durham Weekly at Home Premieres Thursday;
  • NCAA Lacrosse Championship Marathon Highlight Programming on ACC Network May 23-29
One-hour Packer and Durham Weekly at Home Airs Each Thursday Night
ACCN to Celebrate the ACC’s NCAA Lacrosse Champions on Memorial Day
Packer and Durham returns to ACC Network, the 24/7 national platform dedicated to ACC sports, with Packer and Durham Weekly at Home each Thursday night beginning May 21. Additionally, a 12-hour NCAA Lacrosse Championship marathon highlights programming on ACCN May 23-29.

New York state approves extra football game this fall for high schools (PS; Weidner)

Football season can grow a week longer in Section III this fall after the state’s public high school athletic association this morning approved a measure that allows schools to add a game.

The 788-school NYSPHSAA unanimously approved a proposal — via video conference — to let programs play 10 games, exclusive of sectional championships.

That means teams can add a game on the weekend that normally would be a preseason scrimmage. That weekend this fall is Sept. 4-5, or Labor Day weekend.

That weekend used to be the season-opening weekend for high school football, but the state approved moving the fall season forward one week, meaning the state championships — formerly held in the Carrier Dome on Thanksgiving weekend — now are the following weekend.

Bob Campese, co-chairman for Section III’s football committee, said the area’s large schools (Class AA) all plan to fill the early slot with a regular-season game as well as some of the Class A schools. He said a few of the smaller schools (Class B, C and D) may opt to do that as well.

Section III still has to vote on the change, but Campese said the section has supported the proposal at the state level, so local approval should be a formality. Class AA schools in the area have already scheduled accordingly.

Other

Hair salons

‘A lot of home-cut repair’: CNY barbers are eager to fix your quarantine hair disasters (PS; Lohmann)

Walk-ins and waiting will be among the biggest changes if barbershops reopen soon, two Syracuse barbers say.

Doug Spangenberg of the Westcott Barber and Matt Hughes of Hall of Fame Barber Shop are readying their shops in hopes that Central New York moves into a second phase of reopening amid the coronavirus pandemic. The region could get the green light from the state as early as Friday.

Like local owners of salons, the barbers both expect a huge demand for cuts from customers who have gone two months without a cut. And there are those who, in desperation, did try this at home.

No blow-drying, wait in the car: Get ready for a different hair salon experience in phase two

“It’s going to be a lot of home-cut repair,” Spangenberg said, laughing. “That’s what I’m most looking forward to.”

The state has not issued guidance for barbershops. So the barbers are using Instagram to see how other barbers in New Hampshire and Virginia have safely reopened, and they’ve had Zoom chats with other barbers in the state to discuss best practices.

Here are some of the changes customers should expect:

• Masks will be required for customers, and barbers will wear masks or face shields.
  • Barbers will wear gloves.
  • Indoor waiting areas will be gone or greatly limited
  • Staff will take customers’ temperatures
  • The booths will be at least six feet apart
  • Beard trims and shaves will be on hold

Last edited:
I'm old-fashioned, so I'd probably order "the Diner" burger... but "the Street" looks very interesting!
Thanks for reminding me to include links to your site...

That could imply that if social distancing is put in place regarding seating at the dome, fans will not have to wear masks while seated during games. Odds are pretty good the temperature the day of the Colgate game will be In the 80s. Perhaps higher.

I hope it is a night game. It would be a huge mistake to play it during the afternoon. With the new roof letting in a little more sun than the old one, I wonder if it will be even hotter in there than it was with the old roof?

Enduring high humidity, high temperatures in a nearly empty dome against a bad opponent wearing a mask. Rumors are they won’t even allow the band to play.

Tailgating might get banned. At the least, it will be harder to do than ever.

I have to say, this does not super attractive. What a shame AC couldn’t be delivered this fall..

6ft is also the rough talking distance rule. cant see them allowing masks off. Now if people would all commit to learning sign language by the fall..