Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
mount-chimborizo-ecuador-equator-tallest-mountain.jpg

Welcome to Chimborazo Day!

Chimborazo Day celebrates the spot on the Earth that is closest to the moon and farthest from the center of the Earth. Chimborazo is an inactive volcano that is in the Cordillera Occidental range of the Andes Mountains in central Ecuador, and has an elevation of 20,565 feet. Although Chimborazo has a lower elevation than Mt. Everest, because of its spot near the Equator it is the farthest from the Earth’s center and closest to the moon. The Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather it is an oblate spheroid. The Equatorial diameter is larger than the Polar diameter, and Chimborazo lies close to the former. Being that it lies on this Equatorial bulge, it sticks about a mile and a half farther into space than Mt. Everest.

SU News

SU players to begin returning June 8 for voluntary workouts (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse football players will begin returning to campus for voluntary athletic activities on Monday, the school announced in a press release on Tuesday.

Upon arriving in Central New York, an undisclosed number of athletes will immediately be tested for Covid-19 and isolated until they test negative for the virus. That period could last as long as 14 days, according to SU Athletics.

Athletes will then begin working out in groups composed of no more than 10 people, including strength and conditioning staff members. Individuals are only allowed contact to people within their pod until phase two of training beings. Phase two is likely to be implemented in July, the school said, with 30-person groups being the next measure.

All athletes must practice social distancing. Protective equipment, including face masks, will be used in all athletic facilities, while all shared equipment will be sanitized prior to and after each use by a player.

“We are committed to partnering with health experts and complying with Onondaga County and New York state public health policies,” SU athletic director John Wildhack said in a statement. "We are confident that we can minimize risk of viral transmission among staff and student-athletes while at the same time restoring some sense of normalcy to our training and preparation schedule. We believe that if we are cautious and diligent, and care for each other, we will be able to keep our student-athletes safe during the summer months and prepare them physically and mentally for top performance.”

Football players to return to campus, begin voluntary workouts June 8 (DO; Emerman)

Football players will return to campus and begin voluntary workouts next Monday, Syracuse Athletics announced in a press release. It’ll be the team’s first time on campus together since all athletic activities were canceled on March 12 after three spring practices.

Previously, the NCAA approved voluntary activities starting June 1 with adequate safety measures and cooperation with local and state governments. Atlantic Coast Conference rival Clemson will also begin workouts June 8, but brought football players back June 1 for a one-week social distancing period. The Southeastern Conference will also begin workouts June 8.

Syracuse’s voluntary workouts, in advance of Aug. 5’s preseason training camp, will be held with strict safety guidelines that follow the recommendations of public health and government officials.

“We are committed to partnering with health experts and complying with Onondaga County and New York state public health policies,” Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in the press release.

“We are confident that we can minimize risk of viral transmission among staff and student-athletes while at the same time restoring some sense of normalcy to our training and preparation schedule. We believe that if we are cautious and diligent, and care for each other, we will be able to keep our student-athletes safe during the summer months and prepare them physically and mentally for top performance,” Wildhack added.

OL prospect Lyndon Cooper excited about Syracuse offer (247sports.com; McAllister)

Class of 2021 offensive guard prospect Lyndon Cooper out of Carrollton High in Georgia has gone from zero power five offers to two in a a matter of days. The 6-foot-3, 315 pound offensive lineman picked up an offer from NC State on May 27th and then Syracuse extended a scholarship opportunity on Monday. The Orange had been in contact for several days prior to the offer, and he was excited to pick it up.

"It was crazy," Cooper said. "I talked to coach Cavanaugh for about 15 minutes. He said he needed to talk to my head coach and 20 mins later my coach called me and said I got the offer. I was excited."

It is still early on in the relationship for Syracuse and Cooper, but he already has a very positive impression of offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh. He hopes they can continue to develop it as they move forward.

"Coach Cav is a cool guy," Cooper said. "When we talk on the phone ,it doesn’t feel forced. We got to know each other and I feel like we are going to build the relationship we have."

Given that it has only been a few days into the relationship, Syracuse has not conducted a virtual visit yet. Cooper believes that will happen in the future, especially given that in person visits are banned until at least August by the NCAA due to the coronavirus pandemic. Cooper says, however, that Cavanaugh did send him some reading materials to get more informed about his coaching career.

Former Fizz: Brendan Glasheen (SU 2011-2015) – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Glasheen)

Former Fizz is a new interview series where we talk with previous Orange Fizz staff writers about Syracuse sports from when they were on campus. Topics include specific players and games, special memories and of course Jim Boeheim throughout the years. You can listen to all of the episodes on the Orange Fizz SoundCloud or orangefizz.net.

On the fifth episode, Brendan Glasheen comes on to share his SU knowledge. Brendan works in Boston now, but called the Salt City home from 2011-2015. He remembers the recruits SU brought in and the pros that SU turned out during those four years. The interview is below, followed by an abbreviated Q&A from the discussion. We hope you enjoy!

QUESTION: Out of football and basketball, which sport did you enjoy more following while you were at SU?

ANSWER: I really enjoyed following the football recruiting, but as for a product on the field or court I would have to go with basketball because the team was so good.

QUESTION: Who was the best recruit SU football had when you were a student?

ANSWER: I would say Zaire Franklin was the biggest deal while I was on campus. AJ Long also was a big recruit, but Ebenezer Ogundeko drew a lot of attention on the recruiting path and we did a lot to cover his decision on the Fizz even though he ended up going to Clemson.

QUESTION: Between Scott Shafer and Doug Marrone, which coach did you like personally and which one fit the program better?

ANSWER: Marrone was nice, but Shafer was just such a good guy and his press conferences were always something. As for a fit for the program, Shafer was a great defensive mind, but he couldn’t really handle the offense.

Illinois Football: Illini don top 8 for 2021 target Jimmy Valsin (writingillini.com; Woodcock)

Top lists keep getting pumped out for the class of 2021, and the Illinois football team continues to be a contender for recruits around the country.

Isaiah Williams is going to need help at wide receiver when he takes over in the near future. That is why stockpiling the talent at wide receiver now will only help the playmaking quarterback down the road. Snagging someone like Jimmy Valsin would go a long way in building the Illini offense.

Valsin is a 6-foot-1, 175-pound wide receiver from Bowie High School and resides in Arlington, Texas. He is rated as a three-star recruit who is the No. 776 player in the class of 2021 and the No. 113 wide receiver in the nation. He is also the No. 104 player in the state of Texas.

A variety of teams have been coming after Valsin in the recruiting market. He has roughly 21 scholarship offers with some of the bigger programs being Illinois, Oregon State and Utah. But, on Monday, Valsin decided to trim his list down to just eight teams. The eight programs still vying for his commitment include Utah, Colorado, Syracuse, Oregon State, Kansas State, Houston, Indiana and Illinois.

The Tony Basilio Show (tonybasilio.com; Basilio)

Game one: No. 10 Tennessee at No. 17 Syracuse
spacer.gif
ReWatch Along Link ... Click Here ...

— The Orangemen are the two-time defending Big East champions and have won nine games in each of the last three seasons. They’re led by senior quarterback Donovan McNabb, a preseason Heisman Trophy frontrunner.
— Syracuse gets the ball first and slowly moves into Tennessee territory. Fullback Rob Konrad picks up four yards on a 4th-and-1 at the UT 45. They have to burn two timeouts on the drive, including one for an equipment violation. Al Wilson causes a strip-sack on a third-down play, which takes Syracuse out of field goal range.
— Tennessee goes right down the field and Peerless Price scores a touchdown on a third down catch. Tee Martin rolled out to the right on all throws this drive, cutting the field in half and limiting his reads. Jamal Lewis had a 30-yard run on his first carry of the season. Tennessee is up 7-0 midway through the first quarter.
— The Vols force another Syracuse punt. This time it’s linebacker Raynoch Thompson with the stop on third down. He’s already made three big tackles early.
— Neither offense can do much the rest of the quarter. Tennessee is blitzing a lot up the middle with Al Wilson essentially lining up as a standup nose tackle. Syracuse is doing a good job of getting outside the tackles on running plays. Syracuse’s offense is very complex, with a lot of formations and concepts.
— The Vols leave a Syracuse tight end wide-open in the end zone and McNabb finds him for a touchdown to tie it at 7-all with 9:49 left in the first half. It was an 11-play, 71-yard drive for the Orangemen.

Clemson Tigers assistant football coach Danny Pearman apologizes in statement for using racial slur at practice (usatoday.com; Reineking)

Clemson special teams coordinator Danny Pearman released a statement Tuesday night after former Tigers football player Kanyon Tuttle took head coach Dabo Swinney to task earlier in the day on Twitter contending that an assistant coach called a player "the N-word during practice with no repercussions."

Tuttle didn't identify the coach or player in the incident, but former Clemson tight end D.J. Greenlee told The State newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina, that the incident occurred between himself and Pearman during a practice.

Pearman's statement read: "Three years ago on the practice field, I made a grave mistake involving D.J. Greenlee. I repeated a racial slur I overheard when trying to stop the word from being used on the practice field. What I overheard, I had no right to repeat. While I did not direct the term at any player, I know there is no excuse for me using the language in any circumstance. I never should have repeated the phrase. It was wrong when I said it, and it is wrong today.

"I apologized to D.J. at the conclusion of practice, who then appropriately raised his concern to Coach Swinney. Coach and I met to discuss the incident, and he reiterated that my language was unacceptable. I later apologized again as well as expressed my sincere regret to our position group the following day. I love the young men who choose to come to our university, and I would never do anything to intentionally hurt them. I sincerely apologize to D.J., his family, our team and our staff."

Opinion Week: We don’t belong in the ACC (fromtherumbleseat.com; Warner)

I hate the ACC.

There, I said it. I say it often. There’s no reason besides desperation that Georgia Tech is an ACC member.

We are on our countdown to kickoff and I have to get this manifesto off my chest. I hate the ACC. I am also only talking about football because, let’s be honest, it’s what most people care about and makes most of the money for our athletic department. Any conveniences that we gain from other sports in the ACC are far outweighed by football program interest. I’ll even throw you a basketball bone at the end.

To go forward, we first must go back.

How did we come to join the ACC? People have written about this ad nauseam. Here’s the short version:

Georgia Tech was a founding member of the SEC and enjoyed much success in the conference that just means more. In the 50’s and 60’s, our program had so much sway that we didn’t even visit some schools in the conference and flat out refused to drive to Mississippi to play the schools that Bobby Dodd thought were beneath us.

Because of that and other reasons (such as recruiting limit violations and the Alabama punching incident), Georgia Tech abruptly left the SEC in 1964. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that this was major news. GT was a powerhouse and led the conference in prestige. This is like Texas leaving the Big 12 (which almost happened ten years ago, btw).

We went independent to become “The Notre Dame of the South”. Take it from me, if your identity is just a comparison. You are going to fail spectacularly, and fail spectacularly we did. Georgia Tech began a slow death and loss of identity. Grant Field lost its status as a football cathedral and we spun towards oblivion.

That is until we were rescued by the Atlantic Coast Conference. Our Saviors! Hallelujah!

In 1978, Georgia Tech joined the ACC from the ill-fated Metro Conference (let’s not even go there) and we’ve been members ever since.

WATCH: Top 10 ACC freshmen football seasons since 2000 (tigernet.com; video; Crumpton)

for gbo

Check out the following video of the top 10 ACC freshmen football seasons since 2000, courtesy of the ACC Digital Network:

ESPN: Five things Miami football needs to become national title contender (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

The additions of quarterback D’Eriq King and defensive end Quincy Roche through the transfer portal and new offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee has the Miami football team as one of 18 teams as national title contenders according to Bill Connelly of ESPN.

Bill Connelly is the foremost metrics expert in college football. The ESPN guru examined 18 teams he has as national title contenders in 2020. The Miami football team has the longest odds of those 18 teams. Just being in the discussion shows the respect Connelly and other college football analysts have for the Hurricanes.

The other 17 teams on Connelly’s list and other teams in similar positions to the Miami football program or somewhere between the Hurricanes, Alabama, Clemson and LSU. Those other teams include Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, Auburn, Texas A&M, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin and USC in the order of the teams’ odds.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/micah-crowell-commits-nc-state-adds-2nd-4-star-to-2021-class/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

What started slow has started to gather momentum. On Tuesday, NC State landed a commitment from 4-star wide receiver Micah Crowell.

An in-state recruit, the 6-foot-2 Crowell plays his prep ball for Kernersville (NC) East Forsyth. Crowell was one of the top targets on NC State’s board; he picked the Wolfpack over dozens of competing offers. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan all made offers.

COMMITTED
Thank you God !!

Happy birthday mom!! @EFHS_Football/@GameofInchesHSS

— Micah Crowell (@CrowellMicah) June 2, 2020

Ultimately, Crowell picked NC State over Wake Forest.

Crowell’s recruitment to NC State was led by Charley Wiles (offensive line) and George McDonald. As Crowell told Pack Pride, McDonald played a significant role in his decision.

With Crowell and the commitment of 4-star quarterback Aaron McLaughlin, NC State may have its 1-2 combination of the future.

While NC State’s 2021 class started (somewhat) sluggishly, Dave Doeren and the Wolfpack have made moves over the last two months. The class now sits at eight commitments; Crowell is the fourth pledge since the calendar flipped to May.

Crowell joins McLaughlin atop NC State’s commitment list. 247 Sports ranks as the No. 52 wide receiver in the 2021 class. NC State now has five in-state commitments for 2021, too.

BREAKING: Navy-Notre Dame game moved to Annapolis (RX; HM)

BREAKING: Navy-Notre Dame game moved to Annapolis

BREAKING: The Navy-Notre Dame football rivalry is coming to Annapolis for the first time in history, The Capital has learned.https://t.co/ef4xizIG7U
— Bill Wagner (@BWagner_CapGaz) June 2, 2020
The Navy-Notre Dame football game is coming to Annapolis for the first time since its founding almost a century ago.
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium will host for the 94th meeting between the schools, marking the only time the Midshipmen have met the Fighting Irish on their home field, The Capital has learned. An official announcement is expected today.

The original location for the game, billed as the 2020 Aer Lingus College Football Classic, was scheduled Aug. 29 at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland, but obstacles surrounding travel amid the coronavirus pandemic forced the move back to the United States.
Additional information from WNDU Sports:
The Navy-Notre Dame football game, scheduled for Aug. 29, will not be played in Dublin, Ireland, due to the coronavirus pandemic. The two teams plan to open the season in Annapolis, Maryland, at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. According to a news release, officials made the move after extensive consultation with the Irish government, medical authorities, and administrative staffs between the two teams. The 94th consecutive game of the longest-continuous-intersectional rivalry in the country will likely be played Labor Day weekend and be televised nationally.
COMMENTS:
I had no idea that the Middies had literally NEVER played this game at home... should be interesting to see how much impact home field advantage has on the final score!

Team Recruiting Ranking - 6/2/20 (RX; HM)

Team Recruiting Ranking - 6/2/20

This is an update on 2021 Team Recruiting Rankings from 247Sports. As you can see, ACC teams are tearing it up so far...

RankName of TeamTotal5-stars4-stars3-starsOther
1Ohio State1841130
2Tennessee2419140
3Clemson1311110
4USC1401040
5N Carolina1501050
6Michigan171790
7Florida170962
8LSU120921
9Minnesota1805130
10Oregon110830
11Iowa1503120
12Maryland1603130
13Georgia91710
14Notre Dame101630
15Miami140590
16Texas101630
17Wisconsin120480
18Penn State120480
19Rutgers1901171
20Baylor1500150
21Texas A&M100640
22Auburn90540
23Pittsburgh1401130
24Cincinnati1500150
25Florida State100370
RankName of TeamTotal5-stars4-stars3-starsOther
26Virginia1300130
27Georgia Tech1201110
28Louisville110290
29Iowa State1400140
30SMU1101100
31Oklahoma70430
32Boston College1200111
33Wake Forest1300121
34Missouri100190
35Duke1100110
36Toledo1600151
37Miss. State90180
38Alabama60510
39Kentucky90180
40Kansas1100110
41Northwestern90360
42West Virginia80260
43Nebraska80260
44Michigan State1000100
45Miami (OH)1700107
46Virginia Tech90090
47Texas Tech80260
48California70340
49Syracuse1000100
50UTSA1000100

Former Boston College offensive lineman expected to join Colorado State football program (coloradoan.com; Lytle)

Steve Addazio is leaning on his past for help with the immediate future of the Colorado State football program.

Offensive lineman Adam Korutz announced Monday that he would transfer from Boston College — where he played under Addazio — to CSU. He's a graduate transfer who is immediately eligible to play his final season of college football for the Rams.

The 6-foot-2, 290-pound Korutz played in five games last season for Boston College. He's appeared in nine total games after redshirting in 2016.

The Johnson City, New York, native played mostly defensive line in high school and had offers from Army, Cornell, Princeton, Syracuse and Northwestern before choosing Boston College.

Next Chapter, can’t wait to get to work!! @LouieAddazio@CoachBWhiteRams@CoachAddaziopic.twitter.com/hHehQKPwes
— Adam Korutz (@adam_k56) June 1, 2020
He's the second offensive lineman to follow Addazio from Boston College to CSU before his first season in charge of the Rams. Cam Reddy joined in the 2020 signing class. Reddy is immediately eligible with three years to play.

Other

WNLKCGD2NZCHFGKEO43ETNTN7A.jpg

Cuomo’s office explains why Destiny USA can’t reopen yet (PS; Moriarty)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office responded Tuesday to Destiny USA’s request that he reconsider his decision to keep the giant Syracuse mall -- and all other malls in New York -- closed.

Cuomo surprised the mall’s owner, Syracuse-based Pyramid Management Group, on Friday when he gave Central New York the go-ahead to enter phase two of the state’s regional reopening plan but excluded stores in the interior portions of shopping malls.

Jason Conwall, a spokesperson for Cuomo, said malls have lots of enclosed common areas where more than 10 people can congregate, increasing the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus and Covid-19, the highly contagious respiratory disease it causes. Cuomo has banned nonessential gatherings of more than 10 people.

In addition, all those common areas encourage people to “window shop” rather than making a purchase and quickly leaving, he said.

“It’s not about the business,” he said. “It’s about the actual mall.”

He noted that under Cuomo’s order, mall stores that have their exterior entrances separate from the mall’s main entrances can reopen. In addition, he noted that stores in the interior portions of malls are allowed to offer curbside pickup of pre-ordered merchandise.

Interesting looking at the football recruiting rankings. SU is ranked 49. 37 of the teams ranked ahead of them have at least one 4 star player.