Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1594207140091.jpeg

Welcome to National Ice Cream Sundae Day!

Ithaca’s claim to the ice cream sundae takes place at Platt & Colt Pharmacy in 1892 where Reverend John M. Scott stops to order a bowl of ice cream. When Chester Platt, proprietor, began preparing the ice cream for his customer, he didn’t stop at just a couple of scoops of vanilla. Platt drizzled cherry syrup over the ice cream and topped them with a bright red, candied cherry. The dessert looked and tasted so delightful it required its own name. Since the day was Sunday, it was named for the day it was created. Ithaca also has historical evidence supporting the story, including an advertisement for a Cherry Sunday.

SU News

img

SU LB target Henderson down to 4 schools with decision coming ‘soon’ (PS; Bailey)

Jason Henderson understands the reality of this recruiting cycle.

The Class of 2021 linebacker and priority Syracuse football target had long planned on waiting out the coronavirus pandemic in hopes of taking official visits. Now he’s ready to move forward with the understanding that such trips simply won’t be possible.

Henderson, a 6-foot-1, 210-pound Delaware Valley (Milford, Penn.) High School rising senior, announced a Top 4 of SU, Villanova, Old Dominion and Florida Atlantic on Monday. He told The Post-Standard/syracuse.com that he plans to make a commitment “soon” on Tuesday morning, though he has yet to finalize a timeframe.

Rated three stars by 247Sports.com, Henderson said in mid-May that the Orange coaching staff had him tabbed as the school’s top linebacker target. The lines of communication have remained open since then and Henderson was tipped off when other linebackers Austin Roon and Malik Matthew were set to pledge.

Henderson has taken a trip to Central New York to walk around campus. He’s also seen Villanova and ODU, but not FAU.

BHP's Geer, Palmetto's Dean make Division I football commitments (independentmail.com; Smith III)

The year 2020 has been anything but normal for Belton-Honea Path defensive end Jatius Geer. Like his peers in the Class of 2020, Geer missed out on spring practice and is in limbo regarding the upcoming season because of COVID-19.

In addition, how athletes are being recruited has changed drastically. With all the uncertainty, Geer decided to make his decision sooner rather than later. On Thursday, he announced his commitment to Syracuse University.

"They bring a lot to the table that's going to help me be successful," Geer said. "The way they recruited me they let me know that I'm a priority and they need me."

"Originally I wanted to visit all my top schools. With coronavirus and the NCAA dead period continuing to get extended, I knew that it was either now or never. I knew they were the right school and pulled the trigger."

Powdersville Cole Bracken(15) is tackled by Belton-Honea Path junior Jatius Geer(8) during the first quarter at Powdersville High School Friday, August 30, 2019.

Powdersville Cole Bracken(15) is tackled by Belton-Honea Path junior Jatius Geer(8) during the first quarter at Powdersville High School Friday, August 30, 2019. (Photo: Ken Ruinard / staff)

Geer has 19 offers; his top five included Central Florida, Georgia Tech, Kansas State and Memphis. Last season, the 6-foot-4, 245-pound standout recorded 15 tackles for loss, seven quarterback hurries, three sacks and an interception. He was an Anderson Independent Mail All-Anderson area selection as well as All-Region 1-AAAA.

He projects to play defensive end at Syracuse.

"They feel like I'm a guy who can come in and play early," Geer said. "With my size, strength and speed they believe that I can come in and make plays for them."

It’s In The Hands Of The Most High Now!!! Let’s Ride!@CoachReynolds81@CoachBabersCuse@RyanBartow@DLInstructor91@SC_DBGROUP@rblackstonbhp@MMcAllister247@RivalsJohnson@RyanWrightRNGpic.twitter.com/aOL1Fm7Oc8
— Jatius “JT” Geer (@Jatius1) July 2, 2020
Syracuse offered Geer a scholarship on March 23 and has been his favorite for some time now. He made his commitment after receiving the go-ahead from a special member of his family.

"Only thing that was holding me back was approval from my mom and granddad," Geer said. "My mom had it given me the OK, but my granddad needed more time."

"He talked to (Syracuse coach Dino Babers) and they clicked so well that afterwards he told me that was all he needed to see. I called (Syracuse defensive line coach Vinson Reynolds) and put it into motion."

Geer, a three-star recruit, is the 14th commit and top-rated prospect in Syracuse's 2021 class, according to 247Sports.

Boston College Football Preview: A Q&A With NunesMagician about the Season Opener vs. Syracuse (bcinterruption.com; Rapp)

Assuming this game takes place, it will be the 54th contest between BC and Syracuse. The last time they met in the month of September was back in 1964, so this feels a bit strange. I think I’ll mostly miss the Thanksgiving leftovers themed tailgate. How do you feel about opening up the season at BC?

Well first off, I’d like to thank BC for bailing us out of some terrible scheduling on our part that could’ve handed Syracuse a week one bye this week if not for the Eagles moving the Holy Cross to October.

As far as opening at Boston College, I don’t think it’s the worst time to be catching a familiar team given the coaching staff turnover for the Eagles. That doesn’t assure they’ll fail early by any means (look at how the Orange got clobbered in week two by Maryland with a new coaching staff last year). But if I’m facing a team that’s making some changes to coaching, scheme and personnel, early’s definitely preferred.

Syracuse had a tremendous 2018, going 10-3 and finishing the season ranked 15th. But the departure of dual-threat QB Eric Dungey left a significant hole in 2019—the Orange went from scoring 40.2 points per game in 2018 to just 28.2 in 2019, and they finished the year 5-7. Tommy Devito looks promising at quarterback, but who else on offense might provide a spark?

DeVito and the rest of this offense will go as the offensive line goes in 2020. That group was a disaster for most of last year, which contributed heavily to the team’s (and DeVito’s) struggles. With SU seemingly figuring out the line issues over the final three games, we should be in better shape there now. Bringing in Sterlin Gilbert to run the offense could also be exactly the sort of shake-up this group needs.

Going Orange: Sought-after ORHS quarterback chooses Syracuse (mtdemocrat.com; Frey)

After throwing for 3,114 yards in his first year as Oak Ridge High School quarterback in 2019, Justin Lamson has committed to continue his football career at Syracuse University.

Lamson, who is headed into his senior year at Oak Ridge, announced through a video on Twitter that he will make Syracuse his next home.

“I know they’re going to throw the ball a lot,” Lamson told 247Sports June 22. “Coach (Sterlin) Gilbert said the offense is going to be ‘no huddle, no mercy’ with the goal of getting as many plays in as possible to wear down the other team. I had a 20-minute FaceTime call with coach (Dino) Babers on my drive out there and he’s a funny guy and someone I think would be fun to play for.”

Syracuse head coach Babers and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Gilbert have used quarterbacks in Lamson’s 210-pound, 6-feet 3-inch mold their entire coaching careers. In 2012 and 2013 Babers and Gilbert held the same titles at Eastern Illinois University where they coached Jimmy Garoppolo into a second-round NFL draft pick and current starting quarterback of the defending NFC champion San Francisco 49ers.

In fact, Lamson is very similar to Eric Dungey, who was the quarterback for the Orange from 2014-18 and threw for more than 9,000 yards and ran for almost 2,000 during his college career where Syracuse played in the 2018 Camping World Bowl.

Justin Lamson throws a touchdown pass to Brandon Barthel to give Oak Ridge a 6-0 lead over Lincoln @ORHS_Football

— Thomas Frey (@ThomasFreyRP) August 24, 2019

Just like Dungey, they are similar sized and, when the time calls for it, Lamson has a natural instinct to evade defenders and run the football just like Dungey. In the 2019 Division 1 Sac-Joaquin Section championship against Monterey Trail, Lamson kept the ball himself and had three rushing touchdowns.

Syracuse Football: 247Sports provides grim assessment of Orange (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is not getting a lot of cheerful forecasts about its upcoming campaign from the experts at 247Sports.

A panel of more than a dozen experts at 247Sports has unveiled its Atlantic Coast Conference preview, and these folks are not real high on Syracuse football.

In the league’s Atlantic division, the Orange is projected to finish at No. 6. The entire Atlantic division, in order, is Clemson, Louisville, Florida State, Wake Forest, N.C. State, Syracuse and Boston College.

Over in the ACC’s Coastal division, it is North Carolina at No. 1, followed by Virginia Tech, Miami, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Duke and Georgia Tech.

The 247Sports panelists have Clemson defeating North Carolina in the conference’s championship clash. No surprise there, as the Tigers have dominated the ACC in recent years and are an annual NCAA title contender.

The ‘Cuse placement at second-to-last in the ACC’s Atlantic division by 247Sports mirrors what Athlon Sports recently forecast for Syracuse. Athlon Sports, too, has the Orange at No. 6 in the Atlantic, just ahead of Boston College.

Within this division, 247Sports says that “Louisville is the team to watch,” while “Syracuse could fall back down the standings under [head coach] Dino Babers.”

Syracuse Football: Orange spreading its geographic wings with 2021 class (itlh; Adler)

Recent Syracuse football 2021 commits hail from California, South Carolina and Hawaii, as the Orange is recruiting well around the country.

The novel coronavirus pandemic has undeniably made recruiting more challenging – and limiting – for both Syracuse football coaches and the prospects that they are targeting.

Nevertheless, in recent weeks, the Orange has picked up commitments for its 2021 class from a variety of states across the United States, an indication that Syracuse is effectively growing its geographic coverage as it pertains to this recruiting cycle and, hopefully, other classes down the road.

CuseNation.com’s Mike McAllister, by the way, discussed this in a recent article that is really well done.

Let’s delve into some examples. Justin Lamson, a 2021 three-star quarterback from California, pledged his services to the Orange last Friday. He attends Oak Ridge High School in El Dorado Hills, Calif.

A few days before Lamson’s commitment, 2021 three-star defensive end Jatius Geer also said he would don a ‘Cuse uniform in about a year’s time. Geer is out of Belton-Honea Path High School in Honea Path, S.C.

In mid-June, Syracuse got a commitment from 2021 three-star offensive tackle Austyn Kauhi. He is from Kamehameha Schools Kapālama High School in Honolulu.

California, South Carolina and Hawaii – that’s a fairly diverse set of states for the Orange to receive commitments from in a span of only several weeks, particularly amid a pandemic.

More from McAllister. “Geographically, Syracuse generally has stuck to the same areas. The northeast, the south and the midwest, with a few variances here or there. In the 2021 class, Syracuse is expanding its reach both in terms of commits and offers.”

Based on a handful of scholarship offers out there to other high-school players in a range of states, should the Orange have success with these prospects, the ‘Cuse could find itself with commitments from guys in 15 different states, which would amount to a new high for the team in the Dino Babers tenure, according to McAllister.

Top 10 New York high school football players from the Class of 2021 - MaxPreps (maxpreps.com)

1. Seven McGee, East (Rochester)
5-foot-8 | 167 pounds | RB | Oregon

Ranked as the nation's No. 3 all purpose back prospect. Committed to Oregon in November 2018. Although McGee sat out his junior season, he showed why he's one of the best as his position during his sophomore campaign with over 1,000 all-purpose yards and 10 touchdowns to go with 100 tackles and two interceptions.

2. Jahzion Harris, Erasmus Hall (Brooklyn)

6-4 | 215 | DE | Texas A&M
Ranked as the nation's No. 13 weak-side defensive end. Committed to Texas A&M on April 28. LSU, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State and TCU are among his 15 offers.

3. Jaelin Moss, Fairport
6-5 | 260 | DT | Syracuse

Top 50 defensive tackle prospect nationally committed to Syracuse on April 30. The in-state commit is the Orangemen's second highest ranked recruit in the current class.

4. Malik Matthew, Lehman (Bronx)
6-3 | 210 | OLB | Syracuse

Ranked as the nation's No. 65 outside linebacker prospect. Committed to Syracuse on May 22. Holds five additional offers from Boston College, Buffalo, Kent State, Rutgers and Temple.

5. Khordae Sydnor, Iona Prep (New Rochelle)
6-4 | 230 | DE | Purdue

Top 100 strong-side defensive end prospect nationally committed to Purdue on April 25. Holds 20 other offers, including Arizona State, Army, Boston College, Kent State and Rice.

6. Noah Bodden, Christ the King (Middle Village)
6-4 | 216 | QB | Undecided

Top 50 pro-style quarterback prospect nationally. Arizona State, Baylor, Cincinnati, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and West Virginia among his 18 offers.

7. Chris King, Christ the King (Middle Village)
6-4 | 235 | DE | Buffalo

Ranked as the nation's No. 81 weak-side defensive end prospect. Committed to Buffalo on June 2. Baylor, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Miami and West Virginia among his 11 offers.

8. Elijah Fuentes, Cardinal Hayes (Bronx)
6-3 | 260 | DT | Undecided

Top 100 defensive tackle prospect nationally. Holds seven offers from Boston College, Buffalo, Duke, Massachusetts, Rutgers, Syracuse and Wake Forest.

9. Armon Bethea, Eramus Hall
6-6 | 310 | OG | Undecided

Ranked as the nation's No. 78 offensive guard prospect nationally. Holds seven offers from Bowling Green, Colorado State, Massachusetts, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia.

10. Eric O'Neil, Tottenville (Staten Island)
6-3 | 235 | DE | Undecided

Top 100 strongside defensive end prospect nationally holds three offers from Fordham, New Hampshire and Syracuse.

Links, News and Rumors - 7/8/20 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors - 7/8/20

All Sports Discussion really likes the hire of Ruffin McNeil by NC State!

see "NC State Hits a Home Run With the Hire of Ruffin McNeil"

Kudos to Boo Corrigan and Dave Doeren for making one of the very best hires of the college football offseason...
and "Ruffin McNeil back home in North Carolina but with the Wolfpack"
Ruffin McNeill’s 36-year college coaching career includes stops at 10 programs – with return stints at two, Appalachian State and East Carolina – yet taking his first job at N.C. State somehow feels like a homecoming...

SI's Realignment Idea Stinks! (RX; HM)

SI's Realignment Idea Stinks!

Back on June 29th, SI's Pat Forde published an idea for an essentially geographic realignment. This is what it looked like for the teams currently in the ACC:

YankeeMid-AmericanMid-AtlanticDeep South
ArmyIllinoisApp. StateUCF
Boston CollegeKentuckyCharlotteFAU
BuffaloLouisvilleClemsonFIU
ConnecticutMarshallDukeFlorida
MarylandMiddle Tenn.E. CarolinaFlorida State
MassachusettsNIUN. CarolinaGeorgia
NavyNorthwesternN.C. StateGa Southern
Penn StateNotre DameOld DominionGa State
RutgersTennesseeS. CarolinaGeorgia Tech
PittVanderbiltVirginiaMiami
SyracuseW. KentuckyVirginia TechUSF
TempleW. VirginiaWake ForestUAB

While it is nice and compact - making for lots of drive-able away games - I still hate this idea, and my favorite team is in the Mid-Atlantic!

Outlook: COVID-19 vs ACC Football 2020 (cardiachill.com; Hokie Mark)

That’s the question on the minds of ACC football coaches, players and fans alike: will the 2020 season happen this fall, and if so, how will it be affected by the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic? Many articles have already been written on the subject, in part because we just don’t know the answer yet. However, now that players have for the most part reported to their respective campuses, we are beginning to get a picture of how the 2020 college football season in general - and the ACC in particular - may shape up.

USA Today has been keeping an updated list of college athletic programs who have reported cases of positive COVID-19 test results. The USA Today list will not include any players for the Pitt Panthers because, as reported here on Cardiac Hill, the Pitt football team will not announce COVID-19 results to the public.

So far, only three ACC football teams - the Clemson Tigers, the Florida State Seminoles, and the Louisville Cardinals - along with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, have reported any cases. Whether that’s because they haven’t tested anyone, haven’t had any positive test results, or have decided not to publish the results no doubt varies from school to school. For Florida State, Louisville, and Notre Dame, each of those football teams has reported just one positive test result so far. But in the case of Clemson, there have been 37 players to test positive for the virus.

ACC Football Teams return dates: When each program plans to get back - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Offseason scheduling for college football is likely as disjointed and murky as it will ever be — as schools look to reopen amid the COVID-19 pandemic. With regard to student-athletes returning to campuses, the ACC allowed its individual universities to makes their own decisions; this notion differed from some other Power Five leagues.

These situations are still fluid and details aren’t exactly readily available. However, here’s a list of ACC football programs and where they stand with

Update, 6/30: Follow Duke’s announcement to have its football players return to campus on July 12, all 14 ACC football programs either have players on campus, are in the process of having players return to campus (with some staggered system), or have dates set for when player will arrive.

Programs back

Clemson

• June 1: arrive on campus for voluntary workouts, after a period of social distancing at home
    • June 8: after another week of social distancing, voluntary workouts start
Florida State
    • June 1: voluntary workouts start
    • June 9: At least one FSU football player tests positive for coronavirus
Miami
    • June 2: Most of the team is back, according to Manny Diaz, and going through outdoor voluntary workouts
Pittsburgh
    • June 8: Pitt football begins a phased return of voluntary offseason activities
      • After the return, each athlete will undergo a period of quarantine
      • The athletes who cleared medically may participate in workout sessions supervised by Pitt’s strength and training staff (maximum of 10 student-athletes)
Syracuse
    • June 8: football players start to arrive back on campus — an “undisclosed” number of athletes will be tested immediately and isolated; that period could last up to 14 days
      • After this, athletes can start voluntary workouts — groups of no more than 10
    • July: Phase 2 starts — 30-person workout groups will start

Louisville's Russ Yeast made stronger from rehab process (SI; Draut)

The road to recovery was long and tough, but Russ Yeast thinks the journey has made him stronger.

The safety for Louisville football had 61 tackles last season before suffering a season-ending knee injury against Syracuse. Yeast missed Louisville’s final two games against Kentucky and Mississippi State as he began the rehab process to prepare for his senior year.

Yeast, who said he remembers what happened on the play that caused the injury, had surgery after Louisville’s victory over Syracuse Nov. 23.

Yeast remained on campus receiving treatment despite the University closing its campus this spring due to COVID-19. When student-athletes began returning to Louisville for voluntary workouts, Yeast was rejoined by his teammates.

“It feels good to be back with my teammates working out and doing everything with them,” Yeast said. “The recovery process was long and it was tough, I have a lot of people to thank around the facility, especially the head trainer Matt Summers, pushing me every day to get better.”

Unable to participate in spring practices, which were cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Yeast became a leader from the sideline.

He said the injury allowed him to become more detail oriented as he vocally led the secondary.

Other

JCXOOUXGVNGUFG2AA36KGBHJX4.jpg

Spera’s meat market, a longtime Cicero staple, opens new Manlius location (PS; Pucci)

When Spera’s & Sons opened in Manlius one week ago, it brought with it a name and reputation nearly four decades in the making.

The meat market/take-out spot opened July 1 in the Manlius Commons Shopping Center on Cazenovia Road in the former Circa Ce Soir spot, which closed in May.

Meat is undoubtedly the store’s focus. The meat case at the center of the shop that doubles as the main counter is stocked with steaks, burgers, chicken and other meats, the selection of which will continue to grow. The store also stocks a mostly local selection of sauces, oils, marinades, condiments, drinks and snacks.

The original Spera’s, which opened in Cicero in 1982, is also known for its selection of prepared foods and sandwiches.