Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Osteoporosis Day!

World Osteoporosis Day takes place during Bone and Joint Action Week, along with World Arthritis Day, World Spine Day, World Trauma Day, and World Pediatric Bone and Joint Day. The week was created by the United States Bone and Joint Initiative to "improve prevention of bone and joint disorders, and the quality of life for those affected," and the day was organized by the International Osteoporosis Foundation. The day launches a year-long campaign to raise awareness globally about osteoporosis, so that people are made aware of ways to prevent, diagnose, and treat it and metabolic bone disease. Events take place in the months leading up to and following the day, and activities happen in about 90 countries.

One in three women and one in five men, over the age of 50, will experience fractures because of the disease. The disease can weaken bones to such an extent that a bump, sneeze, or sudden movement can cause a fracture. This can cause extreme pain, cause long-term disability, and even be life threatening. Even though there have been great medical advances, only a small minority of those with fractures receive treatment.

SU News

Dino.jpg

How to Fix SU Football’s Run Defense – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Shults)

Last season, Syracuse football gave up over 200 yards per game on the ground. And this season, after a couple of solid defensive performances to start the season, it doesn’t seem like much has changed. Syracuse is still struggling to slow down any running back. Now, it seems like SU is at its lowest point in years.

Against Liberty, the Orange allowed Flames back-up running back Shedro Louis to rush for 170 yards and a couple of scores. As a team, Liberty ran for 338 yards. But at least that was improvement for SU from the Duke game, where the Blue Devils ran for 363 yards. Frankly, this season is incredibly bleak, and looked poor before the injuries began. Now, Syracuse can’t even beat a team in its second FBS season.

While the 3-3-5 defense has been effective in the secondary with takeaways, it doesn’t help Syracuse’s rush defense. Sure teams are spreading the ball out more and more. But against Syracuse, there’s no need to do that. Instead, teams just run it between the tackles every play.

How has 1-4 start affected Syracuse football recruiting? - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Stephen Bailey recently moved over to 247 Sports from his previous position at the Post-Standard, and we chatted with him to find out more about his new position. Stephen will be expanding his recruiting repertoire at his new post, and also we’ll see him in basketball coverage.

Stephen also breaks down the affect of what appears to be a lost season on Syracuse football recruiting. The 1-4 start hasn’t helped, and Dino Babers and staff will need to pivot to hanging on to their recruits ahead of the early signing period in December.

While we’re on the topic of the brutal start, is Dino on the hot seat? A lot of things would need to happen for that to take place, and it’s important for a Syracuse fan not to come from the lens of an emotionally damaging loss to Liberty over the weekend.

I pose the same ‘hot seat’ question to editor in chief Brad Bierman, who also calls it premature given the unusual 2020 COVID year and the rash of injuries that have affected Syracuse more than other schools. Still, it’s hard not to feel the sting from losing to a team that had, prior to this weekend, never toppled a Power 5 team.

For Dino Babers, There are No Guarantees (SI; Payne)

If this year has taught us anything, it’s that nothing in life is guaranteed. For Syracuse football, it meant no guaranteed victories against 0-4 Duke and former FCS school Liberty. For head coach Dino Babers, it means there’s no guarantee he’ll return for his sixth season in 2021.

A contract extension signed by Babers in 2018 says he has the job through the 2023 season. He’ll likely be roaming the Syracuse sidelines this time next year, barring a disastrous collapse. After starting 1-4 with No. 1 Clemson on the horizon, that kind of failure is becoming more feasible.

Following his most recent defeat, Babers quickly reminded fans of past victories over ACC rivals Clemson and Virginia Tech. The veteran play-caller also asked for patience and understanding.

“I expect them to have faith,” Babers said after falling to Liberty 38-21. “I expect them to know we’re going to right it.”

However, less than 48 hours later, Babers has already shifted his perception of what is and isn’t expected from him as head coach.

Syracuse Football: Despite loss to Liberty, some players had strong outings (itlh; Adler)

Let’s take a look at the Syracuse football players who put forth nice performances in the team’s 38-21 setback to Liberty over the weekend.

Syracuse football fell to 1-4 this past Saturday afternoon on the Hill after a 38-21 defeat at the hands of non-conference foe and unbeaten squad Liberty.

Even amid this disappointing result for the Orange, whose loss to FBS football independent Liberty is probably one of the worst showings for the ‘Cuse in recent years, multiple Syracuse football players did excel on the field.

Running back Sean Tucker, the freshman who has continued to move up the depth chart at this position, notched his second 100-yard contest of the 2020 stanza, as he tallied 111 rushing yards on 21 carries, according to statistics posted on ESPN.com.

Reserve quarterback Rex Culpepper, getting the start versus the Flames due to an injury suffered by Tommy DeVito, recorded three touchdown passes and 211 passing yards, per ESPN.com.

Culpepper’s completion percentage didn’t prove great, as he went 19-of-40 in the air, however, registering a trio of passing scores is something to praise.

Syracuse Football: Orange needs ‘to start recruiting like an ACC school’ (itlh; Adler)

A national writer says that Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers isn’t likely to get let go anytime soon.

Syracuse football, hurt by a slew of injuries across the roster, looked dreadful this past Saturday afternoon on the Hill, as the Orange allowed more than 500 yards of offense to Liberty and fell to the Flames, 38-21.

That result left the ‘Cuse at 1-4, gave Liberty its first win over an Atlantic Coast Conference squad, and has a contingent of Syracuse football fans calling for head coach Dino Babers to get shown the door.

Not so fast, my friends. As Pete Thamel writes in a column for Yahoo Sports, “Don’t expect Babers’ job to be in jeopardy. He has four full years remaining on his contract this year, and the most conservative estimates of his buyout are that he’d be owed at least $17 million if he was fired after this season. That number would scare a well-heeled SEC athletic department, and Syracuse is decidedly not one of those.”

I totally understand why some Orange fans think that Babers has to move on from the ‘Cuse program. He’s in his fifth year at the helm in Central New York, and Syracuse football is probably going to produce its fourth stanza below .500 in 2020.

The 2018 performance, when the Orange went 10-3, captured a bowl-game conquest and finished ranked No. 15 in the major polls, seems like an anomaly.

Links, news and rumors - 10/20/20 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 10/20/20

STAT WATCH: Offense Name Of Game With Scoring On Record Pace

Clemson scored 73 points against Georgia Tech, North Texas hung 52 on Middle Tennessee, Memphis had 50 against Central Florida, and the week began with Arkansas State outscoring Georgia State 59-52... The FBS scoring average of 30.3 points is up more than a point from last season and slightly ahead of the record of 30 points per game in 2016...

NATIONAL LEADERS

Team offense:

• scoring, Texas, 49.5 ppg;
  • rushing, Virginia Tech, 312 ypg;
  • passing, UCF, 439 ypg;
  • total, UCF, 636.3 ypg.
Team defense:
  • scoring, Oklahoma State, 9 ppg;
  • rushing, Pittsburgh, 61.5 ypg;
  • passing, Temple, 114.5 ypg;
  • total, West Virginia, 240.3.

Every ACC college football game reviewed: Week 7 (247sports.com; Elliott)

"Every game reviewed" is my weekly attempt to provide a synopsis of what fans of college football need to know about each game via some short form notes gleaned from either watching the game or drilling down into the box score. These are the actual notes I keep on teams for handicapping, podcasting, and writing purposes. I am only concerned with what happens before garbage time sets in.

I start with the final score and work my way back through the performance until it makes sense. This means looking into things like removing garbage time, considering field position, and figuring out why a team got outgained yet lost. It’s about as a deep of a dive as can be made while attempting to get to every game played over a weekend.

I try not to make broad sweeping conclusions based on a single game. But I will point out concerns which could be valid after a sample set of just one game. If you saw something I missed, please let me know in the comment section.
LIBERTY 38, SYRACUSE 21
This was domination by Liberty. The Flames outgained Syracuse by 65 percent per play (7.6 to 4.6).

Liberty actually rushed for 343 yards on 45 carries, good for a 7.6 average.

Syracuse QB Rex Culpepper, replacing an injured Tommy Devito, was not effective, throwing 40 times for 211 yards. Liberty’s pass rush is not exactly elite and even the Flames were able to get three sacks against Syracuse.

Cuse Nation’s Stephen Bailey says that coach Dino Babers cannot save this year, but may be able to save his vision for the program. 247Sports’ Barton Simmons says that it is time to have the Hugh Freeze conversation.

Other

New sod is down at Syracuse Mets’ NBT Bank Stadium (time lapse video) (PS; $; Kramer)

The Syracuse Mets have their own new field of dreams, one that was a dozen years in the making.

Installation of the Mets' new grass field at NBT Bank Stadium has been completed. It consists of 100,000 square feet of Kentucky Bluegrass and replaces worn sod that was 12 seasons old.

The field replacement costs about $500,000 and is part of the larger $25 million upgrade project at the park, all of which will be done by the Syracuse Mets' opening day of 2021.

Other improvements include a new bar area atop the left field fence, a renovated Hank Sauer Room and an expansion and build-out of the main gate area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom