Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Flannel Day!

With winter still going strong, a day dedicated to a type of warm, sturdy clothing is well welcomed. Flannel is made of a fine, smooth yarn called worsted yarn. The yarn is napped on one or both sides. Napping is a finishing process where the fiber ends are brought to the surface, making the fabric softer and warmer.

The words "flannel" and "plaid" are often used interchangeably, but they are referring to different things. Flannel is a material or fabric, not a pattern. In contrast, plaid is a pattern. It originated with tartans many centuries ago. Many plaid shirts today are made of synthetic fabrics and lighter cotton instead of flannel, although many plaid flannel garments are still made.

Flannel was first made in Wales, in the sixteenth or seventeenth century. It was made to replace wool, as it was warmer and sturdier. Since its creation, flannel has been a mainstay of workwear, and it has been important to fashion at certain times throughout history as well. Throughout the years, its warmth, comfort, and versatility have kept it popular.

SU News

Evaluating Syracuse walk-on RB Ja'Tarie Washington before, after ACL tear (247sports.com; $; Riverso)

Syracuse officially added eight players to the program on Monday, including an intriguing walk-on running back in Ja'Tarie Washington. A Pahokee (Fla.) High School product, Washington tore his ACL during the 2018 season before playing four games at The Peddie School in New Jersey the following fall.

Here's a look at what the Orange is getting in the 5-foot-10, 188-pound back based on a look at his film before and after sustaining the injury.

Good build for the position, not a big back but solidly built. Low center of gravity, good balance to bounce off hits and keep running, arm tackles don’t stop his momentum. Downhill runner, doesn’t have the change of direction skills to dance around in the backfield, but he has good initial burst and can shine as a one-cut runner. Claims on Hudl to have 4.36 speed, I don’t buy it, but he is definitely fast enough for P5. Physical, doesn’t shy away from contact, will keep his legs moving and pick up extra yards.

Nick Monroe: Syracuse's recruiting ace - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

For guys like Nick Monroe, National Letter of Intent Day marks the apex of college football recruiting season.

The first Wednesday of each February brings to an unofficial close the yearly marathon of college coaches chasing the signatures of teenagers.

Coaches are partly hired and fired for their ability to get kids to sign on the dotted line. Remember, no matter the sport or how well a coach can X and O with his counterpart, talent usually wins out in the end.

Don’t believe me? Ask Bill Belichick how life has been with Tom Brady.

Belichick is widely recognized as the best NFL coach ever. But after one of season of pigskin in Tompa Bay, scads of Patriots fans consider Belichick to be a goat for not bringing back The GOAT.

Dino Babers and his staff secured 21 of those signatures along with one big-time transfer for the Class of 2021.

The class is highlighted by cornerback Duce Chestnut, quarterback Justin Lamson, five offensive linemen, and Mississippi State transfer Garrett Shrader. Shrader, a former 4-star QB, brings P5 talent to the Orange QB room.

His presence last season could’ve prevented the season from being a total loss once Tommy DeVito was lost for the year. Though, Shrader would’ve been hard-pressed to overcome the avalanche of injuries Syracuse endured.

Syracuse’s class ranks near the bottom of the ACC as it annual has since the Orange joined the league.

Top 5 ACC Quarterbacks Heading Into 2021 (SI; Priester)

For the past three seasons, the best quarterback in the ACC has been at Clemson.

Not only was Trevor Lawrence the best quarterback in the conference, he was also one of the best in the country, and in all likelihood will be the number-one overall pick in the next NFL Draft.

Lawrence's departure could signify a change in the pecking order when it comes to the best quarterbacks in the ACC. At least temporarily.

Former Florida State quarterback and current ACC Network analyst E.J. Manuel recently discussed his opinions on the subject and stated unequivocally that he has North Carolina's Sam Howell at the top of his list heading into the 2021 season.

“I think he’s a special guy that has been able to put up big numbers since he’s been at Carolina,” Manuel said. “I think he’s a he’s a dynamic passer, he’s also a dynamic runner. He’s gonna be an early draft pick whenever the time is that he wants to go to the draft.”

Coming in at number two on the list is Clemson's D.J. Uiagalelei. The freshman was forced into action last season after Lawrence was sidelined for two games due to safety protocols. The youngster did enough during those two games to leave a lasting impression on Manuel and he thinks that Uiagalelei will only get better with more reps.

“From what I saw in those two starts versus B.C. and Notre Dame, a guy that can throw the ball with a rocket arm,” Manuel said. “Great vision, obviously the timing isn’t perfect because he wasn’t the starter last year but I think with first-team reps throughout the entire offseason, throughout summer camp, throughout the beginning of the season, he’ll certainly be ready to go.”

D'Eriq King comes in at number three on the list. Despite tearing his ACL in the 37-34 loss to Oklahoma State in the Cheez-It Bowl, King's decision to return to Miami for one more season makes the Hurricanes a dark-horse candidate in the ACC next season.

"I think him coming to Miami, certainly just put Miami back on the map," Manuel said. "Gave them an opportunity to really say 'Hey, they can be a team that's somebody's to be dealt with on a national scale, not just in the ACC.' Hopefully, he's able to recover from that ACL injury. It was really hard to watch him deal with that in that bowl game, but I know he'll come back stronger than ever."

Rounding out Manuel's top-five is Phil Jurkovec from Boston College and Malik Cunningham from Louisville.

Clemson football: Regardless of what he says, Dabo has embraced the transfer portal (rubbingtherock.com; Benedict)

Clemson football has embraced the transfer portal – sort of.

Clemson football head coach Dabo Swinney made a statement to the effect of not needing the transfer portal because of the guys in his locker room.

Does, he have a point? Sort of but also, not really.

There is no denying the level of talent on the Clemson football roster – it is the most talent that the Tigers have ever had and it seemingly keeps getting better. However, much to the chagrin of Clemson football fans, the old adage “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” doesn’t apply to athletics in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, Dabo has won two national titles.

Yes, Clemson football has the most College Football Playoff appearances.

Yes, the Tigers have the longest active CFP appearance streak.

Yes, Clemson football has been embarrassed in their last two CFP games.

After the 2018 national title game, every fan and talking head across the country, myself included, proclaimed that Alabama was done and Clemson was the new king of college football. So what did head coach Nick Saban do?

He took a look at the way he was doing things and realized that he and his staff had to evolve if they were going to continue to be among the four best teams in college football. And the result – a national title in 2020 and the best recruiting class ever assembled.

This is the crossroads where Dabo is currently sitting. If Saban can embrace the change of college football after a lot more sustained success than Dabo has had, then why should Swinney be the exception?

Notre Dame offers Rutgers ‘22 WR commit, less than an hour later decommits (fightingirishwire)

This afternoon the Notre Dame coaching staff was working the phones on the 2022 class. A call from offensive coordinator Tommy Rees and wide receiver Del Alexander resulted in an offer for New York receiver Addison Copeland.

Extremely blessed and honored to get my 7th division 1 offer to @NotreDame after a great talk with coach @T_Rees11 and @dalex3333 I am excited to announce this opportunity#NotreDame #staNDtogether pic.twitter.com/0mFAyeV6bE
— YAKBOY ENT. (@D1_AC3) February 9, 2021

Copeland tweeted the good news and the now former Rutgers commit then posted that he will be reopening his recruitment.

Respect my decision pic.twitter.com/SrOccxpLwn
— YAKBOY ENT. (@D1_AC3) February 9, 2021

Does this mean that the Irish offer will result in Copeland? I could be but the Notre Dame staff has been recruiting the talented wide receiver for some time now.

Big shout to Notre Dame for the love@NDFootball @NotreDame @NDrecruiting01 pic.twitter.com/t3uUiw8440
— YAKBOY ENT. (@D1_AC3) November 18, 2020

The six-foot-three-inch and 185-pound Copeland also has offers from Indiana, BYU and a few others. Now the Irish are in the mix for recruiting the New York star.

Other

For love of the outdoors: Oral surgeon leaves $10 million to CNY Community Foundation (PS; $; Figura)

Syracuse oral surgeon Bob Vitkus’s love for the outdoors and outdoors activities will continue to be felt by Central New York residents long after his death.

This week it was announced that his estate left $10 million to the Central New York Community Foundation to help support outdoor parks and recreational areas in Onondaga and Madison counties.

The Dr. Robert J. Vitkus Fund will support programs that involve youth, hunting and fishing or conservation efforts to improve wildlife habitat and forest health, said Tom Griffith, vice president of development for the Community Foundation.

Bob Vitkus

Bob Vitkus loved to fish and made a point to wet his line in a multitude of waters -- in the Caribbean, Montana and Upstate NY.

Vitkus an avid hunter and fly fisherman, died June 22 at his home in Fayetteville following a 17-year battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 67.

“I worked with Bob to put together this fund and to make sure his intentions for it will be met,” Griffith said.