Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
5cdc68cc4993d.image.jpg
Welcome to Mardi Gras!

In French, Mardi means Tuesday, and gras means fat, so it makes sense that Mardi Gras is often called Fat Tuesday. It is also called Carnival—a name that is also used to refer to the whole period between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday—as well as various other names in different countries. It takes place on the day before Ash Wednesday—when Lent begins—although, in many places where it is widely celebrated, it is a week-long festival. Mardi Gras is held all around the world, particularly in cities with large Roman Catholic populations. Its epicenter is New Orleans, where most non-essential businesses are shut down and locals and pilgrims come together for parades, music, food, and drink. Revelers wear costumes, dress in purple, gold, and green, and wear beads they catch at parades. Large Mardi Gras festivals are also held in Brazil and Venice, and celebrations of the holiday commonly take place in Mississippi, Alabama, Canada, Germany, and Denmark.

SU News

13540511_9deb05b7d6d84f0b89d0569c57adde12.jpg

Matt Fries Has 'Awesome' Syracuse Virtual Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 Cranford (N.J.) Senior High offensive lineman Matt Fries is one of the Orange's top targets in the cycle. Syracuse has been in contact with Fries for quite some time. Syracuse extended an off less than two weeks ago.

"I was extremely happy," Fries said. "I've been in contact with coach Bartow for a while now and it was great to make it official."

That would be Director of High Schools Relations Ryan Bartow, one of two main points of contact with Syracuse. The other being assistant Nick Monroe.

"They have been extremely generous and honest with me," Fries said. "Their energy so far in my recruitment has been unmatched. I always enjoy getting on the phone with them."

Bresee gets ready to improve on last year’s breakout season (theclemsoninsider.com; Vandervort)

Bryan Bresee came to Clemson in 2020 ranked as the No. 1 player in the nation coming out of high school. Expectations for the freshman were through the roof.

In his first year in college, the 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive tackle lived up to his reputation and then some. After helping Clemson win another ACC Championship and making the College Football Playoff for a record sixth consecutive season, Bresee was named the ACC’s Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Bresee, who also earned First Team All-ACC honors, while he tallied 33 tackles from his defensive tackle position. The Maryland native started 10 games for the Tigers, while recording 6.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Four of those tackles for loss were sacks.

The freshman also knocked down two passes, had four quarterback hurries, and forced one fumble. He also blocked a kick and recorded a safety.

Bresee helped lead a Clemson defense that led the nation in sacks with 46 and finished second in tackles for loss with 109.

TCI’s projected depth chart at defensive tackle heading into spring practice:

Bryan Bresee, So., 6-5, 300:
Bresee earned Freshman All-American honors, while becoming the second player in Clemson history to earn ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year honors, joining Dexter Lawrence who did it in 2016. He played in all 12 games last season, while starting 10 of them. He recorded 432 snaps.

Super Bowl winners by College as of 2021 (RX; HM)

Super Bowl winners by College as of 2021

Which schools have produced the most Super Bowl winners? Sporting News has the answer.

From SN: Ranking college football teams by most Super Bowl-winning players

Sporting News ranks the top 25 college football teams by number of Super Bowl winners:

(Note: Data, compiled from Pro Football Reference, does not reflect multiple rings won by individual players or inactive players at the time a team won the Super Bowl). [details for ACC teams only; click the link above to read the entire article. - Hokie Mark]

T-23rd: Pittsburgh (27)
Notable Super Bowl winners:

• Mike Ditka (6, 12)
  • Tony Dorsett (12)
  • Russ Grimm (17, 22, 26)
T-23rd: Texas (27)
T-23rd: Oregon (27)
T-23rd: Stanford (27)
22nd: California (28)
T-18th: Arizona State (29)
T-18th: Florida (29)
T-18th: North Carolina (29)

Coach Fuente adds veteran defensive coach Jon Tenuta to football staff - Virginia Tech Athletics (hokiesports.com)

Head coach Justin Fuente announced Monday that 40-year coaching veteran Jon Tenuta is joining Virginia Tech as senior defensive analyst. Tenuta owns 19 seasons of experience as defensive coordinator and has been associated with programs that have made 19 bowl appearances during his career. He has coached over 40 players who have gone on to play professionally.

Tenuta most recently spent the past four seasons at the University of Cincinnati. He served as a senior defensive analyst in 2020 after a three-year stint as safeties coach for the Bearcats from 2017-19.

"We're thrilled to bring Jon's wisdom, experience and football background into our program," Fuente said. "Jon could help any program in America, but I'm exceedingly grateful that he's joining us at Virginia Tech. Jon will be a valuable resource for all of us at Virginia Tech and I'm glad he's here. I know Jon is eager to help our team while also having a front-row seat watching his son, Luke, continue to grow and develop as a young man and a player."

"I appreciate Coach Fuente extending this role to me," Tenuta said. "Football has been very good to me and my family over the years, so the chance to join the program where my son is playing was really an opportunity I couldn't pass up at this stage of my career. I've missed a lot of games and moments to see all of my three sons compete in person over the years, so from a personal and a professional standpoint coming to Virginia Tech was an offer I couldn't refuse. I look forward to getting to work with Coach Fuente, his staff and the Hokies."

In addition to his tenure at Cincinnati, Tenuta's lengthy resume includes coaching stops at Virginia (2013-15), NC State (2010-12), Notre Dame (2008-09), Georgia Tech (2002-07), Ohio State (1996-2000), Oklahoma (1995), SMU (1989-94), Kansas State (1988), Marshall (1987-88), Vanderbilt (1984-85), Maryland (1983) and Virginia (1981-82).

Fuente was a quarterback at Oklahoma when Tenuta coached the Sooners defensive backs in 1995.

Other

Syracuse University athletes throw big party attended by students not wearing masks (PS; $; Mulder)

Syracuse University student-athletes hosted an off-campus party Saturday night attended by more than 50 people not wearing face masks, according to SU Athletics Director John Wildhack.

“This behavior is unacceptable,” Wildhack said in an email sent to athletes, parents and coaches. “Gatherings like these have proven to be a source of Covid-19 super-spreader events.”

The email did not say which athletes were involved in the party or what disciplinary action may be taken against them. It also did not say how many athletes were at the party.

The party was at 262 Robert Drive, according to Syracuse police.

“We are working to identify those involved and will hold them accountable through our University disciplinary process,” Wildhack said in a statement this morning. “Additionally, the leaseholders of the apartment where the party occurred have been referred to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities and will face conduct charges. Our student-athletes have committed to abide by public health directives. Failure to comply will be met with swift and appropriate disciplinary action.”

The party was held one day after SU suspended the Sigma Chi fraternity for hosting an off-campus party last week, the first week of the spring semester. That event and two other off-campus parties last week have been traced as the source of at least 20 positive Covid-19 cases.

Wildhack did not say if the athletes’ party resulted in any new positive Covid-19 cases.

Soo... if 40 football players, and 15 hoops players attended? Do we no longer have sports teams? Smh