Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
chips_0.jpg
Welcome to National Tortilla Chip Day!

Today we celebrate and eat tortilla chips, chips made from pieces of corn tortillas that are fried or baked until they are crispy. Usually made from white corn, they can be made from blue corn as well; blue corn chips may be a healthier option, with less starch and 20 percent more protein. They may be eaten alone, with many kinds of dips, or as the base of nachos.

Jose Martinez of San Antonio, Texas, is often credited as being their creator. He was the owner of the Tamalina Milling Company and came up with mass-produced masa, a type of corn flour used to make tortillas. He made tortilla chips with some excess masa. Another person credited with the creation of tortilla chips, or with at least bringing them into the public consciousness, is Rebecca Webb Carranza, former president of El Zarpape Tortilla Factory of Los Angeles. In the 1940s, she fried misshapen tortillas and served them at a family party, where they were a hit. She began marketing them to the public, and by the 1960s the company was selling them as "Tort Chips."

SU News

Syracuse DL Kevin Lemieux enters transfer portal (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football defensive lineman Kevin Lemieux has entered the transfer portal, a source told 247Sports. A true freshman defensive lineman, he becomes the 10th Orange player since early December to submit his name.

Lemieux, a three-star prospect out of The Governers Academy in Newbury, Mass., was slotted as the No. 66 strong-side defensive end in the 2020 class by the 247Sports Composite. As a senior in high school, he recorded 48 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and seven sacks while helping the Governors to an 8-2 record. Lemieux committed to SU in March 2019 after receiving offers from Rutgers, Army, Dartmouth, Massachusetts and Tulane.

Lemieux becomes the fourth Syracuse defensive lineman to seek other options this offseason, following redshirt junior Zach Morton as well as redshirt freshmen Jason Munoz and Cooper Dawson. Munoz and Morton are still searching for their respective next schools while Dawson, who opted out last fall, has committed to Charleston Southern.

Projecting every ACC starting QB in 2021 (247sports.com; Crawford)

Even after losing the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the ACC will be a quarterback-driven league this fall thanks to expansive experience coming back under center.

The ACC is the only Power 5 in college football where 13 of 14 programs return signal callers with starting experience, including Florida State, who will take the field with former Heisman candidate McKenzie Milton. Milton is playing for the first time since his 2018 season was cut short at UCF after a devastating injury that nearly cost him his leg.

Just being able to do things I want to do on the football field. It’s something that I reflect on and I’ve talked about with my family and whatnot," McKenzie said this spring after landing with the Seminoles. "At the same time, I’m just trying to live in the moment and enjoy this one year at Florida State. And make the most of it.

"When I look back on it, I don’t want to have regrets. I don’t want to be thinking down the road, writing a book or a movie or anything like that. I just want to be where my feet are and be present in this moment and enjoy this time with these new coaches, these new teammates and this new support staff."

Here's a look at our early projections for every ACC team's starting quarterback entering spring:

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Projected QB1: Phil Jurkovec
The word: One of the ACC's top returning quarterbacks, Jurkovec was terrific during his first season at Boston College after transferring from Notre Dame. He threw for 2,558 yards and 17 touchdowns, keeping the offense on schedule. Ironically, Boston College coach Jeff Hafley started his career as a Pitt assistant and Jurkovec, a Pittsburgh native, grew up wanting to play for the Panthers. It worked out in a roundabout way. The Eagles hit the NCAA transfer portal hard this offseason and Hafley expects to build on what turned out to be a surprising breakout campaign in 2020 with a veteran group on both sides.

PITT PANTHERS

Projected QB1: Kenny Pickett
The word: Pitt's three-year starting quarterback declined a chance to enter the NFL Draft and wants to give it one more try in the ACC, where he could be one of the league's top players next season. How vital is Pickett to Pitt's success? He finished third in the conference in passing last season behind Sam Howell and Trevor Lawrence and no active ACC quarterback has thrown more passes than Pickett's 1,177 in their careers. A noteworthy senior season could lead to early-round buzz for the strong-armed veteran intent on cracking the upper-tier his last time out.

GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS

Projected QB1: Jeff Sims
The word: As a true freshman, Sims turned heads in spots and played nearly all team’s 691 offensive snaps last season. Experience hastens development and he'll be leaned on in 2021 to be the boss within the offense for Geoff Collins' crew. Good news for Sims is that Georgia Tech brings back four offensive line starters and transfer guard Nick Pendley should make an immediate impact. Accuracy and getting the ball out on time are two areas Sims will need to work on during the offseason as he completed just 54.9% of his throws, 12th in the ACC, as a first-year player.

WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS

Projected QB1: Sam Hartman
The word: For a team returning 20 of 22 starters, the Demon Deacons expect to be a force in the ACC next season. Forced to play from behind too much last fall, Hartman amassed 2,224 yards passing and 13 touchdowns over nine games, completing 58.3% of his throws. Defenses seemed to key on the Demon Deacons signal caller on passing downs early, but he played with a bit more confidence down the stretch. Against North Carolina, Hartman threw for 429 yards and four scores during the best outing of his career. The Demon Deacons need him to be sharp this fall.

SYRACUSE ORANGE

9488168.jpg

(Photo: Matt Bush, USA TODAY Sports)
Projected QB1: Garrett Shrader
The word: He'll be in the middle of a spring competition that likely spills into fall, but Shrader left Mississippi State after the 2020 season to look for playing time elsewhere and believes he has found that in the ACC at Syracuse. Tommy DeVito, who started games last season, and JaCobian Morgan aren't going to give up reps willingly, however. Shrader's mobility is a plus, but that didn't fit the mold of a Mike Leach quarterback in Starkville. He threw 14 touchdown passes at Mississippi State in 2019 and hopes to summon some of that magic again in 2021 with his new team.

Losses of Shame, 2000-2020 (RX; HM)

Losses of Shame, 2000-2020

Top 50 CFB "Losses of Shame" Since 2000

Did your team survive the list? Mine didn't.

HM: OU-K State (Last Two Years), and Bedlam 2001.

Purdue-Ohio St in 2018 also pretty bad. pic.twitter.com/BFNX4ZPviT
— Big Game Boomer (@ATL_boomer1990) February 23, 2021
Oh, the shame!
What can I say? Virginia Tech has two of the six most embarrassing losses of the last 21 seasons...
Of course, the Hokies are not the only ACC team on this list:

• 2010 Virginia Tech lost to JMU
  • 2018 Virginia Tech lost to ODU
  • 2007 Notre Dame lost to Navy
  • 2018 Georgia Tech lost to The Citadel
  • 2010 Notre Dame lost to Tulsa
  • 2019 Miami lost to FIU
  • 2016 Virginia lost to Richmond
  • 2000 Wake Forest lost to Appalachian State
  • 2012 Pitt lost to Youngstown State
  • 2009 Virginia lost to William & Mary
  • 2011 Duke lost to Richmond
The only ACC teams not represented on this list are
  • Boston College
  • Clemson
  • Florida State
  • Louisville
  • N. Carolina
  • NC State
  • Syracuse

Virginia Tech 2021 spring position previews: Tight ends (roanoke.com; Niziolek)

Virginia Tech is tentatively set to open spring camp sometime in March. The Roanoke Times is taking a look at the Hokies roster position by position before they get back to work.
Here’s a look at Virginia Tech’s tight ends…

Coming and going*

• Departing (0): N/A
  • Returning (4): James Mitchell (Jr), Drake Deiulis (R-Jr), Nick Gallo (Soph), Wilfried Pene (Fr)
  • Early enrollees (2): Jared Gibble, Jack Hollifield
  • Fall enrollees: N/A
* Virginia Tech has kept all returning players at the same year they were last year after NCAA granted every fall student-athlete an extra year of eligibility

What we know
Tech is set at tight end with James Mitchell putting off his future career in the NFL for the time being and he should be Braxton Burmeister’s No. 1 weapon next season.

The 6-foot-3, 242-pounder had 26 catches for 435 yards (16.7 yards per catch) with four touchdowns. Over the last two seasons, Mitchell has 22 catches for 15 or more yards, 11 of those have gone for 25 yards or more and he has 35 first downs (74.5% of his catches have gone for first downs during that stretch).

According to Pro Football Focus, Mitchell was the team’s highest-rated receiver last fall (83.8 receiving grade).
Tech has experience behind Mitchell as well with Deiulis and Gallo. The Hokies relied on multiple tight end sets throughout the season and were comfortable interchanging all three tight ends in a variety of spots on the field.

Clemson Football: Tigers' 2021 Spring Preview (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

The college football community successfully navigated its way through the 2020 season and a true champion was determined. For Clemson fans, it was not the desired outcome but they can all now utter these magic words that can perhaps ease some of the Sugar Bowl pain.

Spring practice begins this week.

With the Tigers' starting defense pretty well set, most of the questions surrounding the team are related to the offense. Here are five things to analyze this spring as Dabo Swinney's troops set forward to bring the big trophy back to Clemson.

5 Storylines to Watch During Clemson's Spring Practice

1. D.J. Uiagalelei

Everyone is aware of the talents possessed by the sophomore from Inland Empire, California. It was crystal clear to anyone that watched him against Boston College and Notre Dame in South Bend that Uiagalelei can make plays and has all the tools necessary to be one of the top quarterbacks in America. But now the offense is his and he has to take command both on and off the field. For Uiagalelei, this spring will be the time to develop mentally as well as physically.

2. Health at receiver

Other

3FNRDPNSGZBW3KOVZF3NMAWG3U.JPG

Snow rollers, which form when wind pushes wet snow over a layer of ice or crusted snow, popped up in the Oneida County town of Westmoreland. Jenni Barker | Special to Syracuse.comJenni Barker | Special to Syracuse.com

Rare ‘snow rollers’ pop up in CNY fields and yards (photos) (PS; $; Coin)

As Jenni Barker pulled into her driveway about midnight Monday, her headlights swept through a front yard strewn with hundreds of rolled snowballs.

“I thought, holy cow, my kids must have been outside all day rolling these snowballs. They are everywhere!,” said Barker, who lives in the Oneida County town of Westmoreland. “Then I realized there were no footprints anywhere.”

She was baffled only briefly, then remembered a Facebook post she’d seen a few days earlier of an unusual winter weather phenomenon known as “snow rollers.” Caused by wind or gravity, after a specific series of snow and temperature changes, snow rollers look like a battalion of snow men or a field of snow-shrouded hay bales.

“Snow rollers are pretty rare and need perfect conditions to form,” explained Jill Reale, a meteorologist for WKTV in Utica, who posted Barker’s pictures on Twitter. “This usually happens when wind blows snow down a hill or an open field, rolling into balls like when you make a snowman. This occurs after a snowfall that creates a layer of wet, loose snow on top of a thin layer of ice or packed snow. It needs to be windy with temperatures near 32 degrees.”

See the VT story on SRs coming back. I wonder who is footing the bill for all of ours that came back?

See the VT story on SRs coming back. I wonder who is footing the bill for all of ours that came back?

Do you have a link to the story?

Do you have a link to the story?
its the one above about how all the SRs were coming back. reminded me i was on the radio the other day listening to Wake talk about fund raising to cover the cost of their returning Srs for like a million dollars.

its the one above about how all the SRs were coming back. reminded me i was on the radio the other day listening to Wake talk about fund raising to cover the cost of their returning Srs for like a million dollars.
There is another article in the Roanoke Times that discusses a pay cut to VT the coaching staff. Perhaps that is how they are paying for some of the cost for the returning seniors with no more eligibility. I wonder if not filling the current recruiting class would also be an option. You would think money had been already budgeted for this class.

It’s a parody account

You ever go to a comedy club on "open mic night"?

The first comedian gets all the laughs.

The second comedian tells the same jokes, and he only gets a few laughs.

The third comedian tells the same jokes and he gets boo'd off the stage.

The guy who did the "Captain Andrew Luck" tweets gets a gold star.

Everyone else fails at life.