Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Pig-Day-2018-FTR.jpg
Welcome to National Pig Day!

National Pig Day honors the domesticated pig. According to Mary Lynne Rave, who started National Pig Day with her sister Ellen Stanley in 1972, the purpose of the day is "to accord to the pig its rightful, though generally unrecognized, place as one of man's most intellectual and domesticated animals." Events where pigs are the focus are held at zoos, schools, farms, sporting events, and nursing homes across the United States, particularly in the Midwest. Some activities include having pig-themed parties where pink colored punch and pork are served, and pink ribbon pigtails are tied around trees. Pig-themed parades also are common. Some have interpreted the day as being a time to give pigs a break by not eating pork products, but others say it is the perfect day for eating bacon, ham, or pork chops.

Pigs are from the Suidae family of mammals; species include wild boars, warthogs, the pygmy hog, and the domesticated pig—the species focused on today. Pigs were one of the first domesticated animals, leaving their wild roots about 6,000 years ago in China. They were first brought to the New World by Hernando de Soto, in 1539.

SU News

3fa84ed2-0431-4b51-8e2e-b8772f2857d5.jpg

https://www.ashwaubenon.k12.wi.us/schools/high/athletics/ (gopresstimes.com; Palzewic)

Because of several factors, Airon Servais, a 2016 Ashwaubenon High School graduate, said he recently decided to return to Syracuse University for another season of college football.

“I didn’t start this past season the way I wanted and play at the level I’m used to,” said the 6-foot-6, 309-pound Servais, who has started 48 consecutive games for the Orange on the offensive line. “Toward the end of the year, I was playing how I expected, so I decided another year of playing the way I’m capable will help me for the future. I’m looking for a solid year in 2021.”

Servais also said the COVID-19 pandemic affected his decision.

“It was a different year,” he said. “Not being able to have my family and friends in the stands was tough. I didn’t want my last experience at Syracuse to be in front of empty stands. Having a losing season didn’t help, either. I want to come back and lead us to a conference championship and a bowl game.”

Syracuse plays in the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) and finished this past season 1-10.

Servais said he thought the 2019-20 season would be his last at Syracuse until the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

“We didn’t find out we’d be granted another year of NCAA eligibility until (last) August,” he said. “Up until that point, I didn’t think I’d be coming back to Syracuse. I’m lucky to come back and get another offseason, play spring ball and be with the team. I’m excited to get another opportunity.”

The son of Troy Servais and Bethany Foley, Airon holds a bachelor’s degree in health and exercise science and is pursuing a master’s degree in the same discipline.

Although his ultimate goal is to play in the National Football League, Servais said that didn’t shape his decision to play another year of college ball.

“I haven’t gotten into where I’d get drafted (if I came out this year),” he said. “I’ve been focused on what will happen next season at Syracuse and helping the team improve. I haven’t talked to many scouts, but yeah, the NFL is for sure a goal of mine.”

After redshirting his freshman year at Syracuse in 2016, Servais hasn’t missed a game since.

“I take pride in the streak I have going,” he said. “It means I’ve stayed healthy, and I’ve done a good job and built trust.”

He’s shown his versatility, starting games at center and both tackle positions.

This past season, Servais began the year at left tackle for three games before moving to right tackle for the rest of the season.

He played center during his first two seasons.

“I’m comfortable at right tackle,” said Servais. “I get to move around more, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I missed the center position a bit. I liked making the line calls and being inside with the big boys".

LG546S5MEZFTRI6ID4PIEQHJV4.JPG

AP columnist: Syracuse should rename arena Jim Brown Dome (AP; Newberry)

As Black History Month comes to a close, there have been myriad tributes to the accomplishments of African Americans in sports arenas across the land.

That’s not nearly enough.

Not after the racial awakening this country went through last summer. Not when major college athletic facilities are still named almost exclusively for whites, ignoring the rich history of African Americans in the two biggest sports, football and basketball.

Why isn’t the basketball arena at UCLA known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Pavilion? Why doesn’t Georgia’s football stadium honor Herschel Walker? Shouldn’t Jim Brown’s name be on the dome at Syracuse?

In the ultimate oversight, there is only one Power Five football stadium that carries the name of a Black player — Iowa State’s Jack Trice Stadium.

On the basketball side, Wake Forest’s Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum is the lone Power Five conference arena named for an African American, honoring a heroic medic who earned the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War.

Chris-Olave.jpeg

Clemson all-ACC cornerback Kendrick no longer with Tigers (wnct.com; AP)

Clemson starting cornerback Derion Kendrick is no longer part of the Tigers’ program.

A team spokesman confirmed Kendrick’s status on Sunday.

Kendrick, a 6-foot, 190-pound senior from Rock Hill, South Carolina, was a highly talented player who last season had several discipline issues and did not play in three games.

After Kendrick didn’t play in a win over Pittsburgh in November, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said: “Some people might say he’s in the doghouse. I like to say he’s in the love shack. Just a little discipline.”

Kendrick started eight of the nine games he played in last season. He had 20 tackles and led the team with six pass breakups. He also had a 66-yard fumble recovery touchdown in a victory over Virginia Tech last December.

Kendrick was named a first-team all-ACC cornerback.

Clemson began spring workouts Wednesday. Kendrick becomes the second defensive starter gone from last year’s group, which finished 15th nationally with 326 yards allowed a game.

ACC Schools Ranked by 2021 Academics (RX; HM)

ACC Schools Ranked by 2021 Academics

Let's step away from the gridiron and the hardwood for just a moment as ask how are ACC schools doing in their primary mission - academics? From USNews.com, Here's a look at the member schools of the ACC from an academic point-of-view, countdown style:

Name of UniversityLocationUSNews RankTotal enrolled4-yr Grad rate
University of LouisvilleLouisville, KY176 (tie)21,67037%
North Carolina State
University— Raleigh
Raleigh, NC80 (tie)36,30457%
Clemson UniversityClemson, SC74 (tie)25,82260%
Virginia TechBlacksburg, VA74 (tie)36,38365%
Florida State UniversityTallahassee, FL58 (tie)42,45068%
Syracuse UniversitySyracuse, NY58 (tie)22,85072%
University of PittsburghPittsburgh, PA58 (tie)28,39165%
University of MiamiCoral Gables, FL49 (tie)17,81173%
Boston CollegeChestnut Hill, MA35 (tie)14,17190%
Georgia Institute of
Technology
Atlanta, GA35 (tie)36,12746%
University of North
Carolina— Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC28 (tie)30,15184%
Wake Forest UniversityWinston-Salem, NC28 (tie)8,49584%
University of VirginiaCharlottesville, VA26 (tie)25,01889%
University of Notre
Dame
Notre Dame, IN1912,68191%
Duke UniversityDurham, NC1216,76688%

All-Time CFB Tiers (RX; HM)

All-Time CFB Tiers

How would you split college football programs into all-time tiers? This twitter user tried...

This list is pretty good I think of all l-time college football programs. I understand Minnesota won 4 national championships from ‘36-‘60 but very limited success since then. Also, Wisconsin only has 1 championship and that was in ‘42. Suggest your corrections in the comments pic.twitter.com/3CrYOK8BA9
— Saturday Gameday (@SaturdayGameday)
February 26, 2021
Tier 1: Notre Dame
Tier 2: none
Tier 3: Miami, Florida State
Tier 4: Clemson
Tier 5: Pitt
Tier 6: Georgia Tech
No other ACC teams were good enough to be put into any of these tiers.

COMMENTS:

Tier 1: I'm not sure about Michigan, but I'll concede that the others belong here.
Tier 2: Yes, these teams have won a lot of national championships - just not recently
Tier 3: I think you could make the argument that Miami and/or FSU might belong on Tier 2; Tennessee, Penn State, and LSU, not so much.
Tier 4: If you want to question any of these teams it would be Georgia, in my opinion (and maybe why Tennessee, Penn State, and LSU aren't on this line).
Tier 5: All of these teams made their reputations back when the center of college football was in the North; that said, Pitt has the most championship trophies by far.
Tier 6: Georgia Tech is solid based on history, and Texas A&M has potential (if not hardware) in the present; Arkansas feels like an attempt to stuff an 8th SEC team into the list (coincidentaly - or not - there are also eight Big Ten teams thanks to four of them in Tier 5).

Other

Wind advisory issued in Central New York through Tuesday (PS; Miller)

Winds with gusts up to 45 mph will be blowing through Central New York starting Monday afternoon.

The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory in effect from 1 p.m. Monday to 7 a.m. Tuesday. Northwest winds of 20 to 30 mph will affect the counties of Onondaga, Madison, southern Oneida, Cortland, Chenango, Otsego, Delaware and Sullivan.

“Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects,” the advisory said. “Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.”

Wind advisories are issued when sustained wind speeds of 30 mph or wind gusts over 45 mph are expected.

Name the Dome after Jim Brown? I'm sure there'd be no controversy at all over that!!!

Name the Dome after Jim Brown? I'm sure there'd be no controversy at all over that!!!
You would think a competent journalist would have mentioned Jim's off the field issues might present a small problem to this great proposal he had.

At least he mentioned that the field is already named for Ernie Davis.

1. Call it the Pasqualoni Dome - last coach to win 100 games. (I kid)
2. Is it just me, or does the new dome make it look like a completely different venue?

You would think a competent journalist would have mentioned Jim's off the field issues might present a small problem to this great proposal he had.

At least he mentioned that the field is already named for Ernie Davis.

Exactly. He literally looked at one factor and that's it.