Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
earth-tree.jpg
Welcome to Earth Day!

The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970. Prior to this, there was virtually no environmental movement. Factories pumped toxins into the air, recycling was almost non-existent, and gas guzzling vehicles were the norm. The seeds of the modern movement had been planted, however, with the publishing of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in 1962. This book raised the public's awareness of pollution and its effect on health. In 1969, water pollution and chemical waste disposal came to the attention of the public, after the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught fire.

Democratic Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin was deeply concerned about environmental issues. After witnessing the Santa Barbara oil spill in 1969, he began planning for the first Earth Day. This was during the time of Vietnam War protests and teach-ins, and Nelson thought he could bring the problems of pollution into the public consciousness by organizing similar types of teach-ins. He hoped that by shining a spotlight on environmental issues in this way, there may be a chance of bringing them into the realm of national priorities, where they had yet to be seen. He announced Earth Day at a conference in Seattle in September of 1969.

SU News

https://247sports.com/college/syrac...hletes-Lives-Matter-164483347/(247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football senior Chris Elmore shared a brief, but powerful message at the school's Black Athletes Lives Matter event on Wednesday. Speaking outside in a snowy J.S. Coyne Stadium, the Chicago native shared his perspective on police brutality.

A 6-foot, 288-pound fullback, Elmore said he's been profiled for his appearance for much of his life and shared just how significantly his family has been affected by police. Two of his cousins, Elmore said, have been killed by police including one in custody.

Here's Elmore's full message:

"I just want to talk a little bit about why me and my teammates march today. We march because of police brutality. Growing up in Chicago, I experienced police brutality early. Just being discriminated against because I fit the description. Big, black male with tattoos and dreads. That's the description. I just wanted to share another personal story. I actually had two cousins killed by police two different times. One of my big cousins and his mom both got choked out by police. One was in the police station where there's actual film of the police actually choking them out.

"It's horrifying. Just experiencing things like that as a black male, they're scary, because we see the stories every day. A regular traffic stop can end in a tragedy. This past month, a 13-year-old boy just got shot in Chicago from the police. Growing up, having to look over my shoulder for police, gang violence and things like that, it took a toll on me. But coming to college, it definitely helped me have a broader experience on things.

"I'll share another story. One time, I got stopped by an officer for speeding. I actually told him I was coaching from my coach's house and I gave him my coach's name, and he let me off with a warning. And it was just seeing the different sides of it to where if I wasn't a student athlete, that outcome could've changed for me. I just wanted to share my stories. Thank you."

College sports: Syracuse teams march in support of Black athletes, against police brutality (nny360.com; St Croix)

Chris Elmore acted on his leadership role for the Syracuse University football team during the Black Athletes Lives Matter march Wednesday at SU’s Coyne Stadium.
Elmore was among the hundreds of SU athletes of varying races and backgrounds that took part in the march with the goal of promoting the message of Black Lives Matter, empowering Black student-athletes, and educating all their peers in attendance.
The rally spanned almost three hours overall and featured nearly a dozen SU athletes speaking at a podium to represent their respective teams and surrounding communities. The unexpected snow showers and temperatures in the low-mid 30’s did little to dampen their spirit.

Athletes spoke on behalf of the women’s soccer, men’s and women’s track and field, cheer, and football programs, while other teams filed into the rally in waves with signs of support. Athletes all wore T-shirts with the phrase “One Orange,” on the front, which were designed to promote unity.

Eric Dungey Joining The Spring League: Exclusive Interview – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; May)

Central New Yorkers know the name Eric Dungey for his time at Syracuse. The famed quarterback donned the orange from 2015-2018 and has his name all over the SU record books. Now, Dungey is getting back to his playing ways by joining The Spring League, a professional developmental football league.

“It’s been an incredibly difficult year for a lot of people,” Dungey said. “From a playing career standpoint, it’s been incredibly frustrating… I’ve been doing everything I can to stay ready, stay in shape.”

Well that perseverance has paid off as Dungey will be playing a six-week season for the Blues in the TSL. The season begins on May 6 and runs until June 19. The league is split into two divisions– North and South. The North will be hosted in Indianapolis, Indiana and the South is in Houston, Texas. If you’d like to cheer on Dungey, all games will be broadcasted on FOX.

“I’ve always kind of had the odds against me,” Dungey said. “I’m ready to go. I’m excited to play some football.”

Dungey has continued to stay in shape since graduating from Syracuse. He has tried to make it to the pros for a couple years now. First, playing in the XFL before the league went under and folded.

Washington Football Team Mock Draft Simulation (hogshaven.com; Shoup)

Using Fanspeak’s Premium On the Clock I wanted to take a look at what Washington could do in the draft if they stay put at 19. In this simulation I prioritized some top needs, but mainly was focused on getting the best value/team need balance. I only made one trade moving back in the 2nd picking up a late 3rd for my trouble.

As always the goal of this simulation is too look at plausible options and ways that Washington can leverage the draft if things break their way. You can follow along with the simulation here!

19: LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - Notre Dame

-Owusu-Kormoah is a 1st team All-American, ACC Defensive player of the year and Butkus Award winner, after he anchored Notre Dame’s defense this past year. He’s been a two-year starter for the Fighting Irish and displays elite athletic ability and the versatility needed to help in any area at linebacker. He’s so athletically gifted that he can run with linebackers and running backs in coverage, while being a devastating blitzer as well. If he slides to 19 he would be a fantastic selection for Washington, giving Ron Rivera the big play linebacker they missed last year.

63: OT Liam Eichenberg - Notre Dame

-One of the biggest needs for Washington heading into the draft has to be left tackle. Currently the spot is projected to be a camp battle between Geron Christian, David Sharpe and Cornelius Lucas. None of whom inspire a lot of confidence to protect the quarterback’s blindside. Enter Eichenberg, who has made 38 starts at LT over the past three seasons and should be an immediate day 1 starter.

Eichenberg is a high floor/solid ceiling prospect, who should be selected somewhere in the 2nd round. He is an excellent run blocker, who can handle himself well in pass protection as well. He won’t make people forget about Trent Williams, but he has the potential to be a good starter who can bolster the offense.

74: TE Pat Freiermuth - Penn State

-Logan Thomas was a nice surprise for Washington last season, but the position is still in desperate need of help. Thomas is a good receiving tight end, but doesn’t offer much as a blocker. Freiermuth can be a nice complement to Thomas as he has the size and strength to become a good NFL blocking TE. Freiermuth also is a solid receiving TE and could eventually become the number one TE on the team.

82: WR Nico Collins - Michigan

-Collins could easily go a full round earlier in the mid-2nd round, but a deep wide receiver class could push him down. Collins opted out of this past season, but he showed at the Senior Bowl that he can dominate at a high level. Collins has excellent size and jumping ability and would be a nice fit with McLaurin and Samuel’s skill set. Collins also is pretty NFL ready so he should contribute as a rookie.

94: CB Kary Vincent Jr. - LSU

-Vincent is another opt out player who might be going under the radar. When he was last on the field Vincent was a central member of the Tigers National Championship defense. Vincent is an elite athlete who also ran track at LSU. His athletic ability is definitely his best trait as his corner instincts will need some help. The good news is that with Fuller, Jackson and Moreland, Washington can be patient with Vincent and let him develop at his own pace. Even in spot duty and special teams work, Vincent can add value to the team as a rookie.

124: EDGE Rashad Weaver - Pittsburgh

-Given Young and Sweat, the edge position might seem pretty well set, but depth here is a concern. Ryan Kerrigan played 35% of the defensive snaps and was 3rd on the team in sacks, while adding a number of pressures. Ryan Anderson has also moved on leaving this position pretty thin behind the elite starters. Weaver isn’t an elite athlete, but he has consistently produced in 2018 and 2020. He plays the run well and can add some pressure as a reserve.

163: G Jack Anderson - Texas Tech

-Depth at guard is another area of concern for Washington. Scherff is a star and Schweitzer played solid down the stretch, but beyond them there is a lot of uncertainty. Saahdiq Charles is expected to move to guard fulltime this season, but it’s unclear what they have in him at this time. Anderson is an intriguing day 3 pick who should make the team as a versatile back-up.

244: S Trill Williams - Syracuse

-Washington could look to add a safety at some point in this draft, though the class is weaker than you’d like. Williams is a solid day 3 prospect with decent athletic ability and instincts.

Syracuse safety Andre Cisco shares timeline for his return to football (NFL.com; video)

Syracuse safety Andre Cisco shares timeline for his return to football.

Syracuse Football Recruiting: Class of 2022 Priorities by Position (SI; $; McAllister)

Syracuse football already has four players committed to its 2022 class. Here is a look at the top targets at each position along with slots available.

QUARTERBACK (1)

Best/Worst FB Traditions? (RX; HM)

Best/Worst FB Traditions?

Big Game Boomer is going after traditions now... that's some thin ice you're treadin' on, BGB!
Top 25 Best/Worst Traditions In College Football

HM: Army/Navy Marching In pic.twitter.com/yZgo7fNcmz
— Big Game Boomer (@ATL_boomer1990) April 21, 2021

Best ACC FB Traditions

• Clemson - Howard's Rock
  • Ga Tech - The Ramblin' Wreck
  • Florida St - Chief Osceola's Spear Plant
  • Va Tech - Enter Sandman
  • Miami - The Smoke
I basically agree with these being "good" traditions.
Now comes the controversy...

Worst ACC FB Traditions

• Miami - the Turnover Chain
  • Notre Dame - Play Like a Champion Today
  • Clemson - $2 Bills
  • Syracuse - Burning Shoes
  • Clemson - Storming the Field
  • Florida St - Sod Cemetery
  • Virginia - Fourth Year Fifth

On 2nd Thought: SEC TV Contract (RX; HM)

On 2nd Thought: SEC TV Contract

Am I correct in saying that, when the new SEC contract with ABC/ESPN kicks in, there will be a net increase of just one game per year on the main networks? Here's what the new contract says, according to an ESPN release:

Beginning in 2024, ABC will air an SEC game every week ...up to 15 premier football games, including the SEC championship game.
ESPN+ will have the right to stream one nonconference football game and two nonconference men's basketball games per SEC school each season. All told, ESPN+ will carry up to 14 nonconference football games and up to 20 nonconference men's basketball games annually.

In other words, ABC is adding 15 games, but ESPN+ is essentially taking away 14 games, for a net gain of just one televised game per season. Yes, this will "eat up" some of the ABC slots which were previously going to the ACC, but as you will see it will likely free up some slots on ESPN, too. The net effect from an ACC point of view is this: fewer ABC games, more ESPN games, and an opportunity for the next TV contract negotiations (see below).
Consider this:
In 2019, there were 16 SEC football games on CBS, 40 games on ESPN/2/U, and 50 games on SECN or SECN-alternate.
Under the new contract, ABC would've been able to televise 15 of those 16 CBS games... however, 14 games (likely from SECN or SECN-alt) would be moved to ESPN+. That's a net increase of only one.
This also looks important (from MattSarzSports):

...SEC Network ...plan is to air a tripleheader of games every week. There will overflow or alternate feeds of the network to allow for multiple games to air in a single telecast window.
If the plan remains unchanged (and I see no reason to think it would change), the SECN numbers should remain pretty constant, meaning the only places to take those 14 ESPN+ games are from either SECN-alt (likely as many as possible) and ESPN/2/U (probably the remainder)

Virginia Tech football: Hokies add offensive lineman from Texas (Gobblercountry.com; Manning)

Is the #TX2VT movement back alive? Well, we won’t go that far, but the Virginia Tech Hokies picked up their second commitment for the 2022 recruiting class from the Lone Star State on Wednesday when offensive lineman Johnny Dickson pledged to the Hokies.

Dickson, a three-star offensive lineman from Flour Bluff High in Corpus Christi, Texas, stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 280 pounds. Dickson had an impressive offer list that includes Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Oklahoma State.

Dickson announced his commitment via Twitter.

Other

OKZA2BTOSRGQBDQG6T6YZKHZJI.jpg

Opening date set for Chick-fil-A in Clay (PS; $; Moriarty)

Chick-fil-A has set the opening date for its restaurant in Clay.

The restaurant will open Tuesday, April 27, at 3974 State Route 31 in front of the Raymour & Flanagan furniture store.

The spot is the former location of Uno Pizzeria & Grill, which closed in November 2018 and was demolished last year to make way for Chick-fil-A.

The fast-serve chain is known for its chicken sandwiches and waffle fries. Its restaurant openings frequently draw long lines of customers. Founder S. Truett Cathy opened the first Chick-fil-A in Atlanta in 1967. There are now 2,671 of them in the U.S.

The Clay location will be the chain’s second in Onondaga County. Its first opened on Route 11 in Cicero to long lines and fanfare in February 2018.