Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
4.24.Asparagus-900-x-540-696x435.jpg

Welcome to Asparagus Day!

Asparagus, from the genus family Asparagaceae, is made up of more than 200 species. The most common and economically important is garden asparagus, which is cultivated to be eaten, and is celebrated today! It is usually green with a purple-tinged top, but white asparagus is another common variety and is often grown in Europe. In particular, in France's Argenteuil, asparagus is grown underground so that chlorophyll does not develop. This white asparagus is thick, is smoother than green types, and is known for its tenderness and delicate flavor. There is also a purple variety of asparagus called viola.

Asparagus was a delicacy of the ancient Romans and Greeks, and its name comes from the Greek word "asparagos." The name first appeared in print in English around 1000 CE. Native to the Eastern Hemisphere, it is not known exactly when it came to America; there is record of it growing in New Jersey by at least 1740. It was being grown in California by the 1850s, and 70 percent of the national crop is still grown there.

SU News

11290781_d9452fa56c7843538028ad54b055c4d2.jpg

Syracuse Offer Makes Impression on 2023 QB Chris Parson (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Brentwood (Tenn.) Ravenwood dual threat quarterback Chris Parson is putting together an impressive early offer list. He already holds offers from Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Oregon State, TCU, Virginia Tech and several others. The most recent school to extend an offer was Syracuse.

"I talked to Coach (Vince) Reynolds," Parson said. "It was a great conversation. I loved talking to him. We were getting to know each other on a personal level and we talked some football as well. They loved my film and they wanted to extend an offer.

"I was really excited. It meant a lot to me and my family. Huge, huge blessing that I am not taking for granted. I definitely look forward to building a relationship with this staff."

https://art19.com/shows/the-cuse-militia-podcast/episodes/3ffebc45-831b-4b80-9ba0-5ed709ac947b (armchairmedianetwork.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)

Episode 302: Cuse Juice Off-Season News!

Three Bold Boston College Football Predictions For 2021 | Sports Illustrated Boston College Eagles News, Analysis and More (SI; Black)

3. Phil Jurkovec Will Throw For 300 yards Per Game.

To kick this off, we were going to predict where the second year quarterback would fall in terms of total yards thrown in the nation. But there are too many variables in there to get what could be an accurate number. Instead, let's look at Jurkovec's numbers from last year and talk about yards per game.

Against almost an exclusively ACC schedule, with Texas State thrown in, a Syracuse game where he was playing with an injured shoulder, Jurkovec threw for 255 yards per game in just his first year as a starter. On one hand he lost tight end Hunter Long's 57 catches, but on the other he had a full spring to heal up and continue to grow in the offense. Add in three games against really poor defenses on paper to start the season, the additions of pass catching running backs like Alec Sinkfield, and Trae Barry at tight end, it doesn't seem like adding 55 yards per game average is that far of a leap.

The tea leaves are all there for Jurkovec to throw for 300 yards per game. Boston College has an offensive line that could be one of the best in the country, and a wide receiver group that is unlike anything seen at Chestnut Hill including Zay Flowers one of the most explosive. All the factors combine to make it clear that Jurkovec is in line for a special season.

The play of the defense has to be the biggest question mark heading into the 2021 season. While as a unit the team improved greatly last year, jumping from 125 in 2019 to 73 last year, they still has moments where they struggled. But this is another year in Jeff Hafley and Tem Lukabu's system, and one where the group got to train and condition, which is going to be huge. The defensive line will certainly be the unit with the biggest concerns, but according to the staff they bulked up, which could be huge. Add in Khris Banks, and there is more added depth there, and he could be a factor this season as well. At the second and third level, Hafley continued to build with speed, adding true freshman Bryce Steele, transfers Jaiden Lars Woodbey, Isaiah Graham-Mobley and moving Kam Arnold to the linebacker slot.

2019-20 ACC Revenue (RX; HM)

2019-20 ACC Revenue

ACC revenue numbers are starting to come in as a result of tax records being made public. Here are the known* ACC payouts by school for the 2019-20 fiscal year:

Clemson$37
Virginia$33.60
North Carolina$32.30
Virginia Tech$32.20
Duke$31.10
NC State$31.00
Georgia Tech$30.90
Notre Dame$10.80

The numbers for Clemson and Virginia include travel reimbursements for the ACC football championship, college football playoffs, and Orange Bowl, as applicable.

* I will update this post if/when I get numbers for the remaining ACC schools.

ESPN's Andrea Adelson reported that the ACC's average payout (not including Notre Dame) was $32.3 million per school. Note that this does not include the 2020 football season, so the Irish did not get a full share in this fiscal year.

It's worth noting that Notre Dame, which does get a full share of ACCN revenue, received $4 million more in the first year of the ACC Network than it did in the last year without the network. This despite the fact that ESPN was paying the ACC $3 million per school for not having a network - so it seems like the ACCN and/or the TV contract extension must have increased total media rights revenue by about $7 million per school.

2019-20 Conference Payouts (RX; HM)

2019-20 Conference Payouts

The 2019-20 Fiscal Year ended during the novel coronavirus pandemic, which means that while football was not affected, there were no NCAA or conference basketball tournaments, which is a significant source of revenue for power conferences - except, that is, for the SEC, whose fiscal year ends in February. Here are the payouts reported by the P5's:
  • Big Ten: $54.3 million per school (except Maryland and Rutgers)
  • SEC: $45.5 million per school.
  • Big XII: $37 million to $40.5 million per school.
  • Pac-12: $33.6 million per school.
  • ACC: $30.9 million to $37million per school (except Notre Dame).
Some notes on each:

B1G - two schools received less (both will receive full shares next year)
SEC - won't reflect pandemic until the 2020 fiscal year (next year's tax return).
Big XII - payouts down about $1 million/school; conference operated at a slight deficit.
Pac-12 - the conference reportedly took $5 million from its reserves to meet payout targets.
ACC - the ACC Network launched during this fiscal year, with distribution ramping up from August through December; total revenue was up $40 million despite cancellation of the ACC and NCAA men's basketball tournaments, as well as all other spring sports; conference operated at a slight deficit.

Links, News and Rumors - 2021 May 24th (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors - 2021 May 24th

Best Coach All-Time, by ACC Team:*
  • BC - Tom Coughlin
  • Clemson - Dabo Swinney
  • Duke - Wallace Wade
  • FSU - Bobby Bowden
  • GT - Bobby Dodd
  • UL - Howard Schnellenberger
  • Miami - Dennis Erickson
  • UNC - Mack Brown
  • NC State - Dick Sheridan
  • Pitt - Johnny Majors
  • Syracuse - Ben Schwartzwalder
  • UVa - George Welsh
  • VT - Frank Beamer
  • WFU - Dave Clawson
* These are my thoughts - what are yours?

Other

PJITK7Z47JHNFCH63QENX4STQM.jpg

Syracuse Mets no longer require Covid testing for admittance (PS; $; Kramer)

Non-vaccinated Syracuse Mets fans can now go to games without first taking a Covid test outside NBT Bank Stadium.

Those free tests will no longer be required or offered, according to updated guidelines on the team’s website.

Fully vaccinated fans are now able to go maskless (with certain limitations) in outdoor spaces in the stadium. Those fans can show their valid vaccination card upon entry to receive a wristband that will allow them to enjoy the game without a mask while in outdoors areas.

Non-vaccinated fans will still be required to wear masks at all times with the exception of when they are actively eating or drinking at their seats.

The Mets are requiring all fans to wear masks when they are indoors in spaces such as elevators, the team store, suites, the Metropolitan Club and in restrooms or stairwells.

Syracuse will open larger sections of the stadium in June for fully vaccinated fans.

I know the acc network just started but it seems the overall revenue is really low compared to other conferences. Hopefully there will be a spike with a full year or the acc network. Not sure how the acc will continue to be competitive otherwise.

I know the acc network just started but it seems the overall revenue is really low compared to other conferences. Hopefully there will be a spike with a full year or the acc network. Not sure how the acc will continue to be competitive otherwise.
It seems like ACCN revenue is on - or ahead of - schedule. Most reports seem to indicate that it paid each school between $3 and $4 million in fiscal 2019-20... despite many carriers signing up in the middle of the year and a pandemic in the second half. Next year I'd expect to see more like $7 to $8 million per school.

It seems like ACCN revenue is on - or ahead of - schedule. Most reports seem to indicate that it paid each school between $3 and $4 million in fiscal 2019-20... despite many carriers signing up in the middle of the year and a pandemic in the second half. Next year I'd expect to see more like $7 to $8 million per school.
It’s better but way off from b1g. I know mostly state schools with a lot of alumni but acc has just as much content to broadcast.

The Comcast contract with Disney ends at the end of this year. Comcast is notorious for using their size (biggest cable company in the US) to drive great pricing.

They are the only major cable company that does not carry ACCN, because they refused to pay extra for it above the price they agreed for Disney/ABC/ESPN content when the last contract was signed.

As they get closer to the contract expiration date, I think it gets much more likely Comcast will agree to add ACCN. Disney/ABC/ESPN is the biggest provider and Comcast is the biggest distributor. They have to get along with each other...they are too important to each other for this to not happen.

The two companies are surely already talking about a new contract. I expect there will be an announcement that Comcast is adding ACCN just before college football season. At least one industry expert agrees with me on this.

Worst case, ACCN should be carried by Comcast by the start of January. If Disney gets close to what they have gotten from the other carriers, that is going to significantly increase revenue for ACCN. Comcast has about 40% of the broadband market for cable in the US.