Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1.jpg
Welcome to National Doughnut Day!

National Doughnut Day, also known as National Donut Day, is an annual event that was started by the Chicago branch of the Salvation Army, first being held in 1938. It was created to honor the "Lassies," "Doughnut Girls," or "Doughnut Dollies" who had served doughnuts to servicemen in Europe during World War I. The aim of the day was also to be a fundraiser for Chicago's Salvation Army, in order to help the many people who were suffering on account of the Great Depression.

During World War I, the Salvation Army sent about 250 women volunteers who became known as "Doughnut Dollies" to France. They worked in "huts" near the front lines, where baked goods, supplies, and stamps were available, as were services for mending clothes. As it was hard to get most fresh baked goods this close to the front lines, doughnuts were chosen. At times they were even fried in helmets! The Salvation Army reintroduced the giving out of doughnuts during World War II, and members of the Red Cross gave them out as well. Today, the day is still a fundraiser for the Salvation Army in many places, and the organization teams up with various doughnut shops on the day. Some places also give out free doughnuts today.

SU News

Syracuse Football Recruiting Weekend Preview (SI; McAllister)

The first of three critical official visit weekends for Syracuse football is set to kickoff. This weekend may be lighter in terms of quantity of visitors compared to the other weekends, but it is not short on quality. One of the top linebackers in the talent rich state of Florida is set to visit. Here's what you need to know about Mekhi Mason.

Player: Mekhi Mason
Position: Linebacker
Height/Weight: 6-1, 220 lbs.
School: Monsignor Pace (FL)
Visit Schedule: June 4-6: Official visit to Syracuse.
June 11-13: Official visit to Georgia Tech.
June 18-20: Official visit to Indiana.
When Syracuse Got Involved: Syracuse extended an offer in June of 2020. It was Mason's first power five offer.
Player Quote: "Got a view of the campus and asked a Mikel Jones, who plays on the football team from South Florida, a few questions," Mason said after his virtual visit in February. "They showed me the whole campus, north and south. The building that stood out to me was the business management building because that’s what I want to major in. It has been the nicest campus that I virtually visited so far. My interest in Syracuse is high. They stand as one of my top schools."

One player that must step up for every ACC team in 2021 (247sports.com; Stepien)

With spring camp complete nationwide, college football is a big step closer to returning for the 2021 season. In the ACC, a 14-team race led by five-time reigning conference champion Clemson resumes and every team is looking for players — new and returning — to step up.

"We were really, really young last year, so it's taking a big step with that (offensive line) group," said Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney this spring.

"And because we've signed some really good players that I'm excited about — and again, we've got seven guys coming in this summer — but I think development there and then getting healthy, getting our guys healthy. We've got like five guys coming back that were sixth-year guys. So, you know, I'm so excited about that.

"I think we've got like 12 of the top 14 guys that started for us on defense are back, so really getting that defensive line. You know, getting a guy like Xavier Thomas back going full speed, Justin Foster is working his way back. He's trending in a positive way. I'm excited about that. We've got some guys that had some postseason surgery stuff that we've got to get healthy, but really just — it's the team stuff that I think is the biggest focus."
Syracuse: A quarterback. The Orange have not been the same since a breakout 10-3 season in 2018 with former starter Eric Dungey. Tommy DeVito gets a competition boost with Mississippi State transfer Garrett Shrader, and the offensive-minded Dino Babers should be hoping for improved play here most.

Bowl Wins in the last 5 years (2016-20) (RX; HM)

Bowl Wins in the last 5 years (2016-20)

Big Game Boomer tweeted this:
Schools That Haven't Won A Bowl Game In The Last 5 Years pic.twitter.com/15z4rmPwE9
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) June 3, 2021
Of course I noticed something right away - no ACC teams. Was it really true that every single team in the conference had won a bowl game in the last five years (despite having zero bowl wins in 2020)? Yep, it's true...
ACC teamYearOpponentBowl Game
Boston College2016MarylandQuick Lane
Clemson2019Ohio StateFiesta
Duke2018TempleIndependence
Florida St2017So. Miss.Independence
Georgia Tech2016KentuckyTaxslayer
Louisville2019Miss. St.Music City
Miami2016W.VirginiaRussell Athletic
NC State2017Arizona StSun
Pitt2019E. MichiganQuick Lane
Syracuse2018W.VirginiaCamping World
UNC2019TempleMilitary
UVA2018S.CarolinaBelk
Virginia Tech2016ArkansasBelk
Wake Forest2018MemphisBirmingham

Best 2021 ACC QBs (BGB) (RX; HM)

Best 2021 ACC QBs (BGB)

Ah, college football according to the Boomer!
Top 10 Quarterbacks In Every FBS Conference pic.twitter.com/PSQOn7o1dc
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) June 2, 2021
Let's break this down to see if this makes sense:
1. Sam Howell, UNC - yeah, he's most people's preseason all-ACC QB
2, 3, and 4. (Uiagalelei, King, and Jurkovec) - all right behind Howell (and could pass him before the season is over).
5. through 10. - these guys are all serviceable with potential to be special if the ball bounces their way.

Who are the four QBs who didn't make BGB's list?

Duke - with Chase Brice gone, I'm not sure who will start at QB, to be honest.
Syracuse - Tommy DeVito or Garrett Shrader? It might not matter if the OL can't block.
Virginia - Brennan Armstrong was 9th in QBR last year, so I'm not sure why he didn't make the cut.
Virginia Tech - the coaches like Braxton Burmeister; they'd better be right, because all the QB depth is gone with Hooker and Patterson transferring.

Every ACC team's most dangerous game in 2021 (247sports.com; Gates)

SYRACUSE

The game: Liberty, September 24
Honestly, this game should have massive circles around it for Syracuse. The Orange lost to Liberty last year in the fifth game of the season, also at home, so there’s no reason for them to overlook the Flames. But the simple fact is that Syracuse hits the road for a game against Florida State after facing Liberty. It will be very easy for the Orange to look past the Flames and be more focused on ACC play. But 2020 proved that Hugh Freeze’s squad is just as good as, if not better than, Syracuse. This could be another loss.

Other

ZQB23TICQFEBTFKT5WJTC4TAOE.jpg

Southwest Airlines planes at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix move along the tarmac in this July 17, 2019 photo. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)AP

Schumer ‘optimistic’ after pitching Southwest Airlines to start flying out of Syracuse (PS; $; Weiner)

Southwest Airlines, the nation’s largest low-cost airline, is taking a serious look at expanding its service into Syracuse, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said Thursday.

Schumer, D-N.Y., said he spoke with Southwest Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly about adding service to Syracuse, the only large Upstate New York city not served by the airline.

At the end of their conversation Wednesday night, Schumer said, he was more encouraged than at any time in the past two decades since he started pitching Southwest Airlines to add service to Syracuse.

“I am more optimistic about this conversation than any one I had,” Schumer told Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard in an interview Thursday.

“I told him that Southwest had a lot of success in Rochester, Buffalo and Albany,” Schumer said about his phone call with Kelly. “He acknowledged that. And I told him it makes sense to expand to Syracuse.”

Schumer, the Senate majority leader, said he told Kelly that Southwest was missing out on a potentially large and loyal market of business and leisure travelers in Central New York.

Airline traffic nationwide reached its highest level over the Memorial Day weekend since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, with more than 7.1 million people traveling by air.

“What I told him is people are ready for travel, and this is a good time to get a steady and loyal customer base,” Schumer said.

Southwest Airlines spokesman Brian Parrish confirmed Thursday that Kelly spoke with Schumer, but he said the airline had no announcements to make regarding new service. Schumer declined to say what Kelly told him in their private conversation.

Schumer said he expects the Dallas-based airline will decide quickly about whether to enter the Syracuse market.

“I am feeling good about it,” Schumer said. “I think we will hear relatively soon.”

The game: Liberty, September 24
Honestly, this game should have massive circles around it for Syracuse. The Orange lost to Liberty last year in the fifth game of the season, also at home, so there’s no reason for them to overlook the Flames.
I totally agree on both counts:
1) Syracuse should be motivated to get revenge on the Flames.
2) This is a dangerous potential upset loss if they aren't focused.

Don't lose to Liberty. The pain of that loss is greater than any victories you might achieve. Trust me - I know.

I totally agree on both counts:
1) Syracuse should be motivated to get revenge on the Flames.
2) This is a dangerous potential upset loss if they aren't focused.

Don't lose to Liberty. The pain of that loss is greater than any victories you might achieve. Trust me - I know.
I think the Syracuse program was embarrassed by that Liberty loss and is going to be very motivated to play them again this season.

It is going to be a freaking war.

War Shockwave GIF