Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to Color TV Day!

On today's date in 1951, at 4:35 p.m. Eastern Time, CBS made what is regarded as the first color television broadcast. It was an hour-long variety show called Premiere, which featured Arthur Godfrey, Ed Sullivan, Garry Moore, Robert Alda, and Faye Emerson. The chairman of the FCC and both the president and board chairman of CBS also appeared on it. The program was transmitted from CBS's New York City studio to the city, as well as to Boston, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Philadelphia. Only televisions built for color could pick up the transmission, so most people—those with black-and-white sets—who were tuned to CBS just saw a blank screen. Most of those who were able to view the program saw it at a hotel, in department stores, or in an auditorium. Because of this groundbreaking broadcast, today is known as Color TV Day.

The path to color television stretched back before this moment, and went on for many years after this initial broadcast—it wasn't an all-at-once switch. There was a long invention process, and other hurdles included the need for production facilities to make the new color sets, the cost of stations converting to color transmissions, and the cost of the color sets to the public.

SU News

6679bbd8ef89d.image.jpg

Standout defensive back Rayshon Andrews commits to Syracuse University.

Former Bristol Eastern football standout Andrews commits to Syracuse University (bristolpress.com; Bishop)

Two years ago, Rayshon Andrews made a tough decision to transfer from Bristol Eastern to Avon Old Farms in hopes of further developing as a football player in a prestigious powerhouse boarding school.

The transfer was also in hopes of getting more eyes on the three-star defensive back as he prepared to play at the top collegiate level. The gamble ultimately paid off for Andrews as he received offers from Oregon State, Morgan State, Penn State, Bowling Green, Old Dominion, Akron, Rhode Island, Syracuse, UConn, UMass and Boston College.

This week, Andrews committed to Syracuse University after taking a successful visit to the Orange a few days prior. The 6’4 corner said he’s excited for the next level and chose Syracuse because of the coaching staff and the at-home feeling he felt after stepping on campus.

“I ultimately chose Syracuse because that’s where I felt most at home. The coaching staff every time I've gone up there was great to me and my family as well, which is very important,” Andrews said. “I felt I could develop the best, not just as a player, but also as a man.”

He said location wasn’t a factor in his recruiting process. He was prepared to go anywhere, but there is an added bonus of being closer to home. Andrews decision to choose Syracuse was in part to his belief that the Orange have one of the best defensive back coaches in the country.

Last season, amongst 130 FBS teams, Syracuse ranked 17th in red zone defense, 56th in scoring defense, 65th in total defense, 84th in total interceptions, but 15th in defensive touchdowns and 78th in passing yards allowed per game.

Syracuse Football Preview: Secondary (waer.org; podcast; Sokolsky)
Syracuse starting safety Justin Barron had considered entering the transfer portal after the 2023 season. The firing of Dino Babers, the head coach who had brought Barron to the ‘Cuse, mixed with a 6-7 record pushed the team captain to weigh his options elsewhere. But after his first conversation with new head coach Fran Brown, Barron made the decision to come back for his 5th year with the Orange.

“That’s everything I ever wanted,” Barron said of Brown “I wanted someone who thought like me. I wanted someone who wanted to win as bad as I do.”

Bringing Justin Barron back brings well needed continuity and consistency to the secondary. The safety led the unit in tackles the past two seasons. Barron has 215 career takedowns, the 10th most among active Power Five players. On top of that, the fifth year disrupted offenses with a team leading eight pass breakups and three forced fumbles in 2023. Barron's efforts make him the Orange’s highest graded returning player in 2024 according to Pro Football Focus.

Off the field, Barron’s presence and leadership has helped more than his teammates. Defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson praised the safety’s willingness to embrace the new coaching staff and philosophy.

“They (Barron and linebacker Marlowe Wax) opened their arms up to us as a new staff,” said Robinson. “Those are the first guys to come up to the office and say ‘hey coach, what can we get better at, how can we improve?’”

Alongside Barron, two other contributors from 2023 return to bolster the ‘Cuse secondary in 2024. Safety Alijah Clark started all but one game beside Barron, and finished with 36 tackles with 4.5 tackles for loss. Both of which were second most in the secondary. Clark’s two fumble recoveries were tied for the most among the back line in 2023 with another returner in cornerback Jayden Bellamy. The former Notre Dame transfer started the final seven games of the season and recorded a pick-six on his first career interception versus Pittsburgh. Alongside Bellamy is corner Jaeden Gould, who appeared in every game and was recently named the most improved player on defense during spring practices.
Kyle McCord Believes 'Sky is the Limit" For Syracuse Football (nccnews.com; Della Penna)
Kyle McCord has been a winner his entire football career. From a state champion in high school to a starting quarterback at Ohio State, McCord is in the midst of a new chapter in his football journey.

The former starter with the Buckeyes transferred to Syracuse to help the rejuvenated Orange program. McCord had pre-existing relationships with multiple players and coaches who had South New Jersey ties before stepping foot on campus. New head coach Fran Brown has known McCord since he was in sixth grade playing youth football with current teammates, Alijah Clark, Fadil Diggs, and Duce Chesnut.

When McCord enter the portal in early December, Brown didn’t waste any time in getting the former five-star quarterback to Central New York.

“My favorite Coach [Fran] Brown story, I don’t know if you have heard this story, but he called me around noon the day everyone found out I would be transferring,” McCord said. “He said that he was coming to see me in Columbus, but I didn’t know that he was taking a private plane from Syracuse, I just thought he was in the area. That’s when I knew I was making the right decision.”

Since McCord has arrived in January, he says has been impressed with the program’s willingness to compete. It didn’t matter if players were four-year veterans or it was their first year in the program, everyone has been bought in. The cohesiveness of the group has only continued to improve, which makes McCord feel confident about the upcoming season.

“I think the sky is the limit. I told Coach Fran it’s a unique situation. Usually when a new head coach comes in, a lot of the older guys either go to the NFL or go to a different school for a fresh start. That’s not the case here. I think all of the best players came back and then we went to the portal and got some really good players with experience. We’re not at a point where I’m going to say I want to win a certain amount of games, it’s just important to focus on the moment now. There’s not a team on the schedule that we can’t beat, but it’s all about the preparation.”

McCord and the rest of the Orange start their season on Aug. 31 against the Ohio Bobcats with kickoff at 3:30 p.m.

Syracuse football recruiting: Orange land two 2025 OL commits (TNIAAM; Wall)
Over the weekend the Syracuse Orange picked up two more 2025 commitments. Fran Brown is looking for size on the offensive line and he’s got two more players bringing that to the Orange.

Djoni Scatliffe is a 6’7” 260 lb offensive tackle from East River High School in Orlando, Florida. Scatliffe is currently unranked by the recruiting services and it looks as though Syracuse was his first FBS scholarship offer, in part because he’s only played one year of football.

Scatliffe boasts a 7’3” wingspan and here’s a look at him in action

The second commitment of the weekend is a flip from Maryland. Khalil Stewart of St. Joseph’s Prep in Philadelphia was also offered by Boston College, Penn State, Duke and Virginia Tech. He’s a 6’4 290 lb interior offensive lineman who is a three-star recruit and top-25 player in his class in Pennsylvania.

Here’s a look at Stewart in action.

With these two commitments and the de-commitment of Marcus Upton last week, the Orange now have 24 commits for 2025. 247 has the class ranked 16th in the country and 3rd in the ACC behind Clemson and Georgia Tech.

Davien Kerr commits to Syracuse, discusses decision (247sports.com; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Bloomfield (CT) High athlete Davien Kerr has committed to Syracuse following his weekend official visit, he announced on social media. He had planned on attending a prep year at St. Thomas More and reclassifying to the 2025 class. That changed, however, as Kerr was offered by the Orange following a strong camp performance previously and quickly set up an official visit. That was enough to seal the deal in his recruitment. He will enroll this summer and be part of the roster for the upcoming season.

"I decided to commit to Syracuse because I felt a connection between me and the head coach," Kerr said. "Coach Fran Brown. I feel like we've been building a bond like my high school coach. Out of everybody in the country he chose me for the last scholarship. They were really interested in me and showed mad love. If he's willing to give me a shot, I'm willing to put trust in that and change my life for the better."

Kerr is listed as an athlete in the 247Sports database. He plays wide receiver and defensive back in high school, but is being recruited by Syracuse to play free safety. The 6-0, 190 pounder said he came to his visit with committing in mind, but it was what happened during the trip that clinched in.

"When I saw them practice and saw they were a family," Kerr said. "When I saw how hard they work and the bond they this team has. There's no haters or envies towards each other. They're like a family."

He also believes in Fran Brown's vision for his future at Syracuse.

"I asked coach Fran why he wants me to play (safety)," Kerr said. "He said because a lot of good DB's used to play receiver. When I asked him he said I'm a really good receiver so he could really use a weapon like me on the defensive side."

Syracuse Football Recruiting Talk - Fran Brown to SECURE 4-STAR RECRUITS?! (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football Head Coach Fran Brown is on the recruiting hunt once again. The Cuse recently secured commits from 3-star Rayshon Andrews and Quante Gillians. The Orange are also in the running for 4-stars: CJ May, Tyler Williams, Malik Washington, and Dawayne Galloway. Plus, the Cuse is pursuing 5-star 2026 wide receiver Calvin Russell.Jackson Holzer provides a football recruiting update on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Syracuse Football Will DOMINATE the 2024 Non Conference Schedule | Syracuse Football Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football's non-conference slate in 2024 is: Ohio, Holy Cross, @UNLV, and UConn - that'll hopefully be pretty easy for Fran Brown's squad. @UNLV is probably the toughest non-con game due to having several returning starters from last year's bowl squad, including potential All American Wide Receiver Ricky White. The Orange also didn't stack all of the non-cons together, which will give Cuse fans a better idea of how good/bad SU is next season.Jackson Holzer gives his Cuse Football non-conference schedule takeaways on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Mike McAllister "Orange Nation" 6-24-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

247 Sports Publisher Mike McAllister joins Steve and Paulie to discuss the commits Syracuse football got over the weekend and how Cuse basketball fills out their roster.

30 Minutes in Orange Nation 6-24-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve and Paulie make a grand return discussing what they did over vacation and which Syracuse athlete they would want to represent their company, announcing the Worst Song Bracket Championship, and commenting on an article comparing prices at college football stadiums.
The 315 w/ Brian Higgins 6-24-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)
Brian Higgins continues the Countdown to Syracuse football with a recap of the weekend in recruiting which included 3 commitments, discusses what he’ll be watching tonight with multiple big sporting events occurring, and looks back on some of the biggest comebacks and choke jobs in postseason history.

2025 DT Prospect Eric Thomas Narrows Choices to Syracuse and South Carolina Football (SI; Peavy)

The recruitment race for the highly-touted defensive tackle prospect, Eric Thomas, has reached an exciting climax as he narrows his college choices to the University of South Carolina and Syracuse University. Thomas, who hails from Lehigh Acres, Florida, made the announcement earlier this week, signaling the intense competition between these two programs to secure his commitment.

Standing at an imposing 6'4" and weighing 295 pounds, Thomas has been a dominant force on the field throughout his high school career at East Lee County High School. His junior year stats are a testament to his prowess, boasting 35 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, and 2 sacks. Thomas's ability to disrupt opposing offenses has made him one of the most sought-after defensive linemen in the 2025 recruiting class.

The University of South Carolina has been heavily invested in Thomas's recruitment from the start. This past weekend, Thomas visited the Gamecocks' campus, and the experience seems to have left a lasting impression. Head Coach Shane Beamer and Defensive Line Coach Travian Robertson have been instrumental in showcasing how Thomas could fit into the Gamecocks' defensive scheme.

While Syracuse presents a strong case with its own robust football program and academic reputation, the momentum appears to be swinging in favor of South Carolina. The Gamecocks have a history of producing NFL-caliber defensive linemen, and they offer Thomas a pathway to immediate impact and long-term development.

As Thomas’s decision date approaches, the Gamecock Nation eagerly awaits the possibility of welcoming him to Columbia. His addition to the 2025 recruiting class would be a significant boost to South Carolina’s defensive front.

Syracuse football in final 4 of 4-star edge CJ May; Louisville may be biggest threat (itlh; Adler)

CJ May, a 2025 four-star edge who took an official visit to Syracuse football in mid-June that went quite well, is down to a quartet of finalists, including the Orange.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound May, a top-150 national prospect in the rising senior class per 247Sports, disclosed via his X page on Monday a top four of Syracuse football, fellow Atlantic Coast Conference squad Louisville, Washington and Auburn.

May, a one-time Notre Dame verbal commit, has landed more than 20 scholarship offers throughout his recruiting process. The new 'Cuse staff, led by head coach and ace recruiter Fran Brown, offered May on January 21 of this year.

May, who has visited all four of his finalists, plans to make his college decision known on July 13, and I believe that the Orange has an excellent shot to prevail for him.

Syracuse football is a big-time contender for 2025 four-star edge CJ May.

A standout rising senior at Highland Home High School in Highland Home, Ala., May had verbally committed to the Fighting Irish last September but then de-committed and reopened his recruitment in early February of 2024, according to recruiting services.

Former Notre Dame commit and 4-star recruit lists Syracuse football among his finalists (PS; $; Carlson)

Former Notre Dame commit and four-star defensive end prospect CJ May listed Syracuse football among the final four schools in his college recruitment on Monday, along with Washington, Auburn and Louisville.

May decommitted from Notre Dame in February and visited Syracuse in April.

May is ranked as the No. 305 prospect nationally in the Class of 2025 and the No. 24 edge rusher in the 247 Sports Composite rankings. He is ranked as high as the No. 16 edge rusher and No. 145 prospect nationally in 247 Sports’ individual rankings.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #46, LS Tom Callahan (TNIAAM; Wall)

It’s time to start preparing for the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get to know a lot of new faces to kick off the Fran Brown Era

Up next is...

Name: Tom Callahan

Position: Long Snapper

Year: Redshirt Senior

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 236 lbs

Hometown: Roseland, NJ

High School/Previous College: Seton Hall Prep/Fordham

2023 stats: Appeared in 13 games as the long-snapper and recorded a tackle against Florida State.

2024 projections: Syracuse has added depth at the position, but heading into camp it will be Callahan’s job to lose. He helped contribute to an improvement in Syracuse’s punt unit last season.

How’d he get here?: Tommy left Sandusky Ohio to head to Fordham where he completed his undergraduate degree. Now in his 6th year of college, he is completing a graduate degree in the Whitman School. This should assist him when he’s got to save his family’s auto parts company from con artists.

What’d recruiting sites say?: No ranking on any of the major recruitment outlets.

Social Media Info:

Twitter:
@tomcallahan57

Instagram; @tomcallahan57

Interesting nugget o’interest: Seton Hall Prep is also the alma mater of Denver Nuggets Head Coach Michael Malone.

Let’s get a look at ya: Roll the Fordham footage

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #47, TE Carter Clark (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

It’s time to start preparing for the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get to know a lot of new faces to kick off the Fran Brown Era.

Up next is…

Name: Carter Clark

Position: Tight End

Year: Redshirt Sophomore

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 288 lbs.

Hometown: Hilton, NY

High School: Hilton

2023 stats: Clark did not appear in any games for SU.

2024 projections: With six scholarship TEs on the Orange roster, the odds aren’t exactly in Clark’s favor to see the field much. Fran Brown has been pushing to get as many extra walk-ons as possible though, so he should be quite busy on the scout team and might have some chances late in non-conference games.

How’d he get here?: Signed as a PWO in 2022.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Went unrated by the Big Four outlets.

Social Media Info:

Bonus pic ft. Coach Fran:

ACC News

A Deeper Dive into NCAA Football Conference Realignment: What & Where to Watch, & Your Advertising Opportunities | TEGNA (tegna.com; Leydon)

Thousands of live sporting events air every year, and each one creates a new opportunity to connect with Appointment TV viewers. This audience has repeatedly proven to be committed and engaged. But most importantly, it’s an ideal target audience for several different types of brands, companies, and businesses.

But this year, incredible new opportunities exist to grow business by aligning with college football and the excitement of conference realignment. Which conferences, teams, or games should your brand consider aligning with?

Let’s take a look at the new college football playbook: which game scenarios to keep an eye on, when fans will be watching, how fans will be watching, and the available advertising opportunities available.

The SEC

While realignment affected every college football conference, the Southeastern Conference (SEC) did a magnificent job of adding even more star power to its lineup of schools while still maintaining a logical regional footprint. Almost impossibly, the SEC added fewer teams than rival conferences yet arguably widened the gap between them and the other major conferences. Adding two true college football blue bloods to an already stacked group makes SEC Saturdays can’t-miss television. SEC fans are the real winners this fall.

SEC Matchups On the Field

With three teams in the Top 5 in many pre-season college football polls and as many as four or five more landing in the top 15, there won’t be many (if any) “off weeks” in the SEC.
  • As it has for the past several years, the conversation needs to start with most polls’ pre-season top-ranked team, Georgia. No team in the country can match the Bulldog’s returning head coach/starting quarterback combination of Kirby Smart and Carson Beck. After losing in the semi-finals last year, there is a huge motivation factor going into 2024.
  • A ton of teams are lining up to knock the Bulldogs off their perch, and one of the ones that can certainly do it is SEC newcomer Texas. The Longhorns avoid a couple of the SEC powerhouses on the schedule this year, but a date with Georgia looms in October.
  • There won’t be many more teams that are more fun to watch on offense next year than Mississippi. Can the defense step up against the top of the league? With a bit of defense, they can be as good as anybody in the country.
  • You don’t just “replace” a legend like Nick Saban and his 7x National Championships, but Alabama did incredibly well in hiring Kalen DeBoer. Simply put, he has won big everywhere he’s been. Plan on the Crimson Tide being in the mix again this year.
  • In his Tennessee debut, Nico Iamaleava scored four touchdowns and won the Citrus Bowl MVP award. The Volunteers’ schedule has some tough matchups, but keep an eye on them.
  • LSU has to replace three first-round draft picks, including the Heisman Trophy winner, but they miss Georgia, Texas, and Tennessee on their schedule. Count on the Tigers to be relevant in December.
  • Florida‘s schedule this year includes seven ranked teams (projected). The Gators may be the best 5-7 team in college football history.

Mark Your Calendars: Five Must-See SEC Games in 2024

• Georgia at Clemson, August 31st (Non-Conference) 12n ET (ABC)
  • Georgia at Alabama, September 28th, 7:30p ET (ABC)
  • Texas at Oklahoma, October 12th, 3:30p (TBD)
  • Georgia at Texas, October 19th, TBD
  • Alabama at LSU, November 9th, TBD
  • SEC Championship Game, December 7th 4p ET (ABC)

Where to Watch – New SEC Broadcast Partners

This season marks the beginning of a ten-year partnership with ABC/ESPN, and all SEC-controlled games will run on ABC, the ESPN family of networks, and the SEC Network. ABC will have set slots at 3:30 p.m. and prime time on most college football Saturdays featuring SEC teams, with other games spread across ESPN networks. ABC will also carry the SEC Championship game from Atlanta on Saturday, December 7th.

Oh, and don’t worry if your regional team isn’t on the broadcast slate in a particular week. SEC games will stream on ESPN+ and SECN+, so fans can watch every play if your team is playoff-bound or already playing for next year!

Big 10

No conference saw more fundamental and geographic change than the Big 10 (BIG). A group of schools (historically with fewer than 800 miles separating them) will now have almost weekly coast-to-coast flights. Growing up, Midwesterners always started their season hoping for a trip to the Rose Bowl. They just never envisioned a future where that trip could happen in September. While traditionalists might take a minute to adjust, it’s hard to argue that this won’t be the most intriguing and exciting BIG football season ever.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-football-2024-all-conference-team (athlonsports.com; Lassan)

The 2024 All-ACC Team is led by 17 selections from Florida State, with Virginia Tech (14), Miami (13), and Clemson (12) headlining the next tier of teams with the most picks on the all-conference squad.

With the release of the Athlon Sports 2024 College Football Preview Magazine, it’s time to take a look at the best of the best and honor the top players in the league with a release of first, second, third and fourth all-conference teams for '24.

An important note on the all-conference teams: These are based on how players will perform in 2024. Career statistics and awards matter in the evaluation, but choosing players for the 2024 all-conference team is largely based on predicting and projecting the best for the upcoming year. Also, team strength does not play a role in selections. These are the best individual players at each position in the league for '24.

ACC Football 2024 All-Conference Team

First-Team Offense

QB Cameron Ward, Miami
RB Omarion Hampton, North Carolina
RB Damien Martinez, Miami
RB/AP Jaydn Ott, California
WR Xavier Restrepo, Miami
WR Kevin Concepcion, NC State
WR Caullin Lacy, Louisville
TE Bryson Nesbit, North Carolina
TE Oronde Gadsden II, Syracuse
C Maurice Smith, Florida State
OL Darius Washington, Florida State
OL Jalen Rivers, Miami
OL Ozzy Trapilo, Boston College
OL Blake Miller, Clemson
OL Francis Mauigoa, Miami

First-Team Defense

DL Patrick Payton, Florida State
DL Ashton Gillotte, Louisville
DL Antwaun Powell-Ryland, Virginia Tech
DL Rueben Bain, Miami
DL Peter Woods, Clemson
LB Kaimon Rucker, North Carolina
LB Barrett Carter, Clemson
LB Francisco Mauigoa, Miami
LB Marlowe Wax, Syracuse
CB Dorian Strong, Virginia Tech
CB Aydan White, NC State
CB Quincy Riley, Louisville
S Jonas Sanker, Virginia
S Shyheim Brown, Florida State
S Donovan McMillon, Pitt

First-Team Specialists

K Andres Borregales, Miami
P Alex Mastromanno, Florida State
KR Brashard Smith, SMU
PR Tucker Holloway, Virginia Tech

Second-Team Offense

QB DJ Uiagalelei, Florida State
RB Phil Mafah, Clemson
RB LeQuint Allen, Syracuse
RB Jamal Haynes, Georgia Tech
RB Jordan Waters, NC State
WR Elic Ayomanor, Stanford
WR Malachi Fields, Virginia
WR Jordan Moore, Duke
WR Eric Singleton, Georgia Tech
TE RJ Maryland, SMU
TE Jake Briningstool, Clemson
C Justin Osborne, SMU
OL Weston Franklin, Georgia Tech
OL Anthony Belton, NC State
OL Willie Lampkin, North Carolina
OL Michael Gonzalez, Louisville
OL DeVonte Gordon, Wake Forest
OL Logan Taylor, Boston College

Second-Team Defense

DL Joshua Farmer, Florida State
DL TJ Parker, Clemson
DL Aeneas Peebles, Virginia Tech
DL Jasheen Davis, Wake Forest
DL Donovan Ezeiruaku, Boston College
DL Simeon Barrow, Miami
LB T.J. Quinn, Louisville
LB Power Echols, North Carolina
LB Tre Freeman, Duke
LB DJ Lundy, Florida State
LB Cade Uluave, California
CB Fentrell Cypress, Florida State
CB Azareye’h Thomas, Florida State
CB Mansoor Delane, Virginia Tech
S R.J. Mickens, Clemson
S Justin Barron, Syracuse
S Craig Woodson, California

Second-Team Specialists

K Noah Burnette, North Carolina
P Jack Stonehouse, Syracuse
KR Bhayshul Tuten, Virginia Tech
PR Roderick Daniels Jr., SMU

Third-Team Offense

QB Haynes King, Georgia Tech
RB Jaquez Moore, Duke
RB Rodney Hammond Jr., Pitt
RB Bhayshul Tuten, Virginia Tech
RB Lawrance Toafili, Florida State
RB Demond Claiborne, Wake Forest
WR Malik Benson, Florida State
WR Jacolby George, Miami
WR Taylor Morin, Wake Forest
WR Ali Jennings, Virginia Tech
WR Antonio Williams, Clemson
TE Gavin Bartholomew, Pitt
TE Justin Joly, NC State
TE Corey Dyches, California
C Brian Stevens, Virginia
OL Jordan Williams, Georgia Tech
OL Kaden Moore, Virginia Tech
OL Logan Parr, SMU
OL Luke Petitbon, Wake Forest
OL Anez Cooper, Miami
OL Parker Clements, Virginia Tech

Third-Team Defense

DL Akheem Mesidor, Miami
DL Darrell Jackson Jr., Florida State
DL Elijah Roberts, SMU
DL Davin Vann, NC State
DL Fadil Diggs, Syracuse
DL Chico Bennett Jr., Virginia
LB Dylan Hazen, Wake Forest
LB Kam Robinson, Virginia
LB Ahmad Walker, SMU
LB Kobe Wilson, SMU
LB Sean Brown, NC State
CB Avieon Terrell, Clemson
CB Alijah Huzzie, North Carolina
CB Daryl Porter Jr., Miami
S Jonathan McGill, SMU
S Jaylen Stinson, Duke
S Devin Neal, Louisville
S Khalil Barnes, Clemson

Third-Team Specialists

K John Love, Virginia Tech
P Caden Noonkester, NC State
KR Jaylin Lucas, Florida State
PR Taylor Morin, Wake Forest

Fourth-Team Offense

QB Grayson McCall, NC State
RB Kye Robichaux, Boston College
RB Roydell Williams, Florida State
RB Jaylan Knighton, SMU
RB Donald Chaney Jr., Louisville
WR J.J. Jones, North Carolina
WR Konata Mumpfield, Pitt
WR Da'Quan Felton, Virginia Tech
WR Donavon Greene, Wake Forest
WR Jordan Hudson, SMU
WR Trond Grizzell, California
TE Nick Gallo, Virginia Tech
TE Sam Roush, Stanford
C Drew Kendall, Boston College
OL Branson Taylor, Pitt
OL Levi Rogers, Stanford
OL Jeremiah Byers, Florida State
OL Renato Brown, Louisville
OL T.J. Session, California
OL Walker Parks, Clemson
OL Joe Fusile, Georgia Tech

Fourth-Team Defense

DL Cam Horsley, Boston College
DL Kevin Pointer, Wake Forest
DL DeMonte Capehart, Clemson
DL Wesley Williams, Duke
DL Zeek Biggers, Georgia Tech
DL Desmond Evans, North Carolina
DL Nate Matlack, Pitt
LB Tristan Sinclair, Stanford
LB Kyle Efford, Georgia Tech
LB Kam Arnold, Boston College
LB Caden Fordham, NC State
LB David Reese, California
CB Collin Wright, Stanford
CB Nohl Williams, California
CB Chandler Rivers, Duke
S Antonio Clary, Virginia
S M.J. Griffin, Louisville
S Isaiah Nwokobia, SMU
S Javon McIntyre, Pitt
S LaMiles Brooks, Georgia Tech

Fourth-Team Specialists

K Ryan Fitzgerald, Florida State
P Peter Moore, Virginia Tech
KR Trebor Pena, Syracuse
PR Chris Tyree, Virginia

3 most overrated ACC football coaches ahead of the 2024 season (saturdayblitz.com; Muldowney)

The 2024 season is right around the corner. We are approaching the month of July which means the countdown to the start of the season may as well commence already. And that means ACC football fans can start speculating who will win the conference title.

The conference feels fairly wide open even though Florida State proved to be the class of the ACC last year, going 13-0 in the regular season and the title game before losing the Georgia by roughly one million points. They're back and loaded up, but they have some work to do at the quarterback position with DJ Uiagalelei replacing Jordan Travis.

Other contenders like Clemson, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, and NC State will be pushing for that crown as the Seminoles will have a tough time trying to repeat.

There will be some new teams in the conference like Stanford, SMU, and Cal who all look to be fighting uphill battles this season. Stanford and Cal haven't exactly flourished in recent years and SMU is joining a Power Five conference after spending years in the Group of Five.

With all of this change, some things remain the same: the respect given to some of the conference's most well-known coaches. Which coaches get way too much love, though?

3. Pat Narduzzi, Pitt

Is it really fair to call Pat Narduzzi "overrated" if he's just considered one of the better ACC coaches every year and not exactly elite? Yes, because his inconsistency should make him a mid-tier coach.

Narduzzi was one of the best defensive minds in the country at Michigan State before he took the head coaching job at Pitt back in 2015. He immediately saw success with back-to-back 8-5 seasons to kick off his Pitt coaching career and that's when everyone immediately jumped on the bandwagon. He followed that up with a 12-14 record the following two years before going 8-5 again in 2019.

Obviously the 2020 season feels like a wash so his 6-5 record shouldn't be held against him and he bounced back to go 20-7 in 2021 and 2022. Many believe that his 11-win season could be attributed to Kenny Pickett being one of the best quarterbacks in the nation and not necessarily Narduzzi's coaching and I'd tend to agree there.

What happened in 2023 with his offensive coordinator gone and two years removed from Pickett? Narduzzi and the Panthers went 3-9, missing a bowl game for a third time in nine years.

For a guy who misses bowl games 33 percent of the time, he sure does get talked up a lot and brought into a number of coaching carousel rumors for better jobs each offseason.

2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson

I know, this sounds ridiculous to say because Dabo Swinney has won national titles and had Clemson at the top of the college football world for a bit but the fall from grace has been interesting.

Swinney was considered the best coach in college football not named Nick Saban from about 2015 until 2019. He lost more than one game in a single season just one time in that span and he had just two ACC defeats as well. Swinney looked like he was about to run college football for the next decade or two, but something happened in 2020 (yes, COVID happened, too).

The Tigers took a step back in 2020, going 10-2 and they finished second in the ACC behind a Notre Dame team that joined for the season and made the playoff. That seemed to knock Swinney and Clemson off track as they lost three games for the first time since 2014 in 2021 and then lost three again in 2022 before going just 9-4 in 2023 with a measly 4-4 mark in conference play.

Swinney is still talked about as a top-five coach in college football and he probably is just because of what he did from 2015-19, but that seems like a distant memory now.

Plus, fans are dying for him to use the transfer portal but he claims that guys who are in there aren't good enough to play at Clemson. Maybe this is why the Tigers finished sixth in the ACC last year.

1. Mario Cristobal, Miami

This one was an easy choice for me. While it was tough to call Dabo Swinney "overrated" because he's a two-time national champion and eight-time ACC champion, using that same term on Mario Cristobal is fairly easy. The dude just can't seem to figure it out.

Cristobal was one of the hotter names in the country back in 2019, leading Oregon to a 12-2 record and a Rose Bowl win. The Ducks looked to be heading back toward the top of college football for the first time since Chip Kelly was running the show. And then COVID led to a 4-3 regular season in 2020 and then a 10-2 follow-up campaign in 2021 before he darted for the Miami job ahead of the Alamo Bowl.

Miami paid big money to lure him away from Oregon and back to his alma mater and two seasons in, it almost feels like a waste. He's just 12-13 overall and the Hurricanes are 6-10 in conference play.

And yet his team is hyped up as a projected Top 25 team to begin the 2024 season and everyone is back on the hype train. He is getting the benefit of the doubt even though I'm not so sure he can run the program and turn it back into a perennial contender.

Right now, Cristobal is on fraud watch.

Virginia Tech Football Can SHOCK THE ACC In 2024 (youtube; podcast; Ruffino & Joe)
Joe DeLeone and Blake Ruffino share their 2024 Virginia Tech football preview, discussing why Brent Pry and Kyron Drones can have a huge year in the ACC in 2024
HUGE HINT About ACC Future? | FSU Leaving ACC SOON? (youtube; podcast; Couz's Corner)
In this college football video about conference realignment, Couz will talk about recent comments by Josh Pate from ‪@LateKickwithJoshPate‬ about the ACC potentially losing teams and needing to rebuild. Couz will give his opinion on various scenarios that Josh could have been referring to.With both the Florida State Seminoles and Clemson Tigers suing to try and get out of the Atlantic Coast Conference, rumors have swirled for months about the future of the league. Now, Josh Pate has added fuel to the fire with a cryptic tweet and follow up comments about the ACC that lead many to believe teams could announce they are leaving the conference within the coming weeks. Did Josh's comments mean North Carolina will also file a lawsuit against the ACC? Could it be Miami? Could it simply be a settlement with the league and FSU and/or Clemson? Or, is it something much bigger that will require a rebuilt league that will look much different in the future? Couz gives his take in the episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5ZL8pX040 (youtube; podcast; Chat Sports)
College Football Conference Realignment rumors continue from the ACC, as Late Kick’s Josh Pate is reporting that the implosion of the ACC is imminent. Florida State and Clemson have each filed lawsuits to get out of their grant of rights, in an effort to exit the ACC Conference. Pate of CBS Sports’ 24/7 Sports reports that something could be official of Clemson and Florida State leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference, as early as prior to the start of the 2024 College Football season. Although Florida State Football and Clemson Football are attempting to leave the ACC, there isn’t an obvious fit for their next destination in the SEC, Big Ten or Big 12, due to the league’s current TV contracts with ESPN and FOX. This College Football news comes after a Florida judge denied the ACC’s motion to dismiss the Florida State’s lawsuit. Chat Sports host Tyler Jones believes the collapse of the ACC is coming, and that the Clemson Tigers and Florida State Seminoles will be on the move, along with the North Carolina Tar Heels, Virginia Cavaliers and others. Find out more in this College Football YouTube video by Chat Sports.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/06/acc-fb-pride-2024-june-24th.html (RX; HM)

ACC FB Pride 2024 June 24th

Points of Pride: ACC Football

The ACC and ESPN, in conjunction with Bowl Season, announced the ACC bowl schedule for the upcoming 2024 season, which includes three games on ABC and nine games on ESPN.
see also 2024-25 ACC Bowl Schedule

On May 30, the Atlantic Coast Conference and its television partners announced the kickoff times and networks for the majority of ACC football games during the first three weeks of the 2024 football season. ACC teams will play [at least] 22 games on ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2 from the games covered by this announcement.
see also 2024 Early Season TV Schedule

For the first time in the event's history, the ACC will conduct the annual ACC Football Kickoff with four full days of interviews, July 22-25, at the Hilton Charlotte Uptown in Charlotte, North Carolina. ACC Network will provide live coverage for all four days.
see also 2024 ACC Kickoff Schedule

The ACC is the Conference of Quarterbacks, with the return of full-time starters Thomas Castellanos at Boston College, Cade Klubnik at Clemson, Haynes King at Georgia Tech, Preston Stone at SMU, and Kyron Drones at Virginia Tech, and transfers Maalik Murphy at Duke, DJ Uiagalelei at Florida State, Tyler Shough at Louisville, Cam Ward at Miami, Grayson McCall at NC State, and Kyle McCord at Syracuse among others.
see also Top 2024 Transfer QBs Ranked

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...s-speaks-on-legal-fight-with-acc/74193895007/ (tallahassee.com; Rooney)

In a Tuesday Capital Tiger Bay Club monthly meeting, Florida State Board of Trustee Chair Peter Collins weighed in on the ongoing FSU versus ACC litigation.

During the forum at the Tucker Civic Center, Collins spoke about the school's growing frustrations with the ACC's revenue-sharing plan and how the now infamous Dec. 3 playoff snub accelerated FSU's decision to sue the conference.

While the "snub" played its part, Collins said FSU's complaints with the ACC were discussed far before the college football playoffs selection show.

He cited frustrations with revenue and the Seminoles' desire to "get paid what it's worth," a leading factor in its disgruntled feelings toward the conference.

https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/p...5414a7f41cc27&utm_source=polar&utm_medium=cpc

"This effort didn't start from the snub. We had been working on this in earnest for a while, you just don't put a complaint like that together in two weeks," Collins said.

"We were still working with the ACC on an equal revenue-sharing plan, but only when it became clear that we weren't going to get where we wanted to be with that effort, and they weren't interested in continuing to help us get better in that effort. Then something like that [the snub] happens, we just felt the time was right."

"There was no reason for us to wait any longer."

Collins said the growing revenue gap between the ACC and the Big 10 and the SEC due to the two conferences' TV deals makes it hard for FSU to compete financially with the programs in those conferences.

He said while Seminole Boosters were able to help close the funding gap with those programs in the past, the current budget differential is too far for donors to bridge and help the school compete.

Collins said FSU could compete with members of the two conferences in athletic revenue generated outside of the media deals. But he added it's difficult for FSU to keep pace with the amount of television money currently being pumped into the Big 10 and SEC.

Other

YG4EPN6WHJHP7PUPB4IXYC34R4.jpg

James Taylor performs at St. Joseph's Health Amphitheater at Lakeview Sunday, Aug. 22, 2021.Warrern Linhart | Contributing photographer

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...ings-to-do-this-week-in-central-new-york.html (PS; Croyle)

The final week of June is a musical one around Central New York.

The Syracuse Jazz Fest, a summer favorite since 1983, promises five days of free live music, including headliners Kenny G, The O’Jays, and The Mavericks at Clinton Square, dozens of acts will be performing around downtown on Wednesday night, and a special gospel concert is scheduled for Sunday afternoon at Syracuse University.

It is another busy week at the Empower Federal Credit Union Amphitheater with two concerts. James Taylor and His All-Star Band take the stage on Wednesday followed by Willie Nelson’s Outlaw Music Festival on Friday.

Country superstar Brad Paisley is at the Turning Stone Event Center on Sunday.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at least two weeks in advance at features@syracuse.com.

Monday

Bad Art Competition

Teens and tweens are invited on Monday to visit NOPL Brewerton and make some really “bad art.” Come use anything (and everything) from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. to create some fantastically terrible art. There will be awards for the Loudest, Brightest, and Most Atrocious. The art will be displayed in the library for the month of July. It is free.

Where: 5440 Bennet Street, Brewerton.

When: Monday at 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

How much: Free.

Collage Jazz

Kick off Syracuse Jazz Fest week a bit early with a concert by Collage Jazz at the Rome Art and Community Center. The group will present two special sets dedicated to clarinetist Sidney Bechet, along with many well-known favorites from the swing era and the Great American Songbook. The concert is free and open to the public and takes place from 5-7 p.m. Also happening that same evening at the center is their new weekly summer event, “Music, Markets and More.” Food and craft vendors will be on hand from 4-8 p.m., set up on the large lawn. Collage will play from the porch area, where there is ample room in the beautiful RACC gardens for the audience to experience the concert comfortably. Those attending should bring their own chair or blanket for seating. Two other concerts are scheduled for July 29 and August 26.

Where: 308 West Bloomfield St., Rome.

When: Monday from 5-7. Food and craft vendors will be open from 4-8.

How much: Free to attend.

Tuesday

Strawberry Social

Kick off summer with a strawberry social at Syracuse’s Soule Library at 5:30 p.m. Enjoy a free strawberry sundae at their park-like setting. There will be sidewalk chalk for the children. A book sale begins at the same time inside the library. All items cost $2 or less, please bring a reusable bag and cash. At 6, The Meditations will be playing R and B music. Library staff will be on hand to sign people up for their summer reading program. Please bring a lawn chair or blanket. A few chairs will be provided to those who need them.

Where: 101 Springfield Road, Syracuse.

When: Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.

How much: Free.

Wednesday

Syracuse Jazz Fest

Downtown Syracuse will be filled with music this week as Jazz Fest returns for another year. The long-running free festival continues Wednesday with performances by 26 acts at 21 clubs throughout downtown. The scene shifts to Clinton Square on Thursday with The Mavericks headlining. Concerts start Thursday through Saturday at 4 p.m. and continue until 11. Kenny G headlines on Friday and The O’ Jays on Saturday. On Sunday, the grand finale is the “Return to Community: A Sunday Gospel Jazz Service,” at Hendricks Chapel, featuring performances by the Black Celestial Choral Ensemble of Syracuse University. This free program, which starts at 12:30 p.m. with a pre-event luncheon, is open to the first 1,000 attendees. The concert starts at 3. For a complete schedule and list of performers, go to https://syracusejazzfest.com.

Where: Wednesday performances are at several spots around downtown Syracuse, see the website for a complete list. Concerts from Thursday through Saturday are at Clinton Square. The event concludes on Sunday with a “Gospel Jazz Service” at Hendrick’s Chapel at Syracuse University.

When: Wednesday starting at 5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday from 4-11 p.m. and Sunday at 3 with a pre-event luncheon at 12:30.

How much: Free
5L4H5WAVR5HRRFZFDLWJBTCMZ4.jpg

Post Malone performs during the 2024 Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival on June 14, 2024 in Manchester, Tennessee. (Photo by Douglas Mason/WireImage via Getty Images)WireImage

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...racuse-amphitheater-for-hometown-concert.html (PS; Herbert)

Syracuse native Post Malone is coming home.

Posty will perform at the Empower Federal Credit Union Amphitheater at Lakeview on Saturday, Sept. 14. The concert will begin at 8 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Monday, July 1 at 10 a.m. through Live Nation. Prices have not been announced, but fans can register for presale access on Malone’s website. Citi cardmembers will also be able to access presale tickets starting Wednesday, June 26, at 10 a.m.

Due to high demand, fans may also want to look for tickets on VividSeats, StubHub, TicketNetwork or SeatGeek for tickets.

Post Malone is a Grammy-nominated singer and rapper known for hits like “Circles,” “Better Now,” “Rockstar,” “White Iverson,” “Psycho,” “I Fall Apart,” “Chemical,” “Sunflower” and “I Like You (A Happier Song).” He’s released five albums and collaborated with big names like Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Tiesto, Lil Wayne, Noah Kahan, DJ Khaled, Ozzy Osbourne and Hardy’s Hixtape — plus is venturing into country music on recent songs with Morgan Wallen and Blake Shelton.

Malone was born Austin Richard Post on July 4, 1995, in Syracuse, N.Y. He lived in Central New York until he was 10, when his family moved to Texas because his father was offered a job working for the Dallas Cowboys. He currently lives in Utah, but his family still owns a home in Baldwinsville.

Malone tells fans he “comes from/reps” Dallas — he even has a tattoo of President John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated in Dallas — but his musical roots still began in Syracuse.

His father, Rich Post, told syracuse.com that he was a heavy metal/hair band fan but he also worked as a disc jockey for CNY weddings with Whirlin’ Disc DJs, so he was constantly listening to popular tunes and other genres that couples requested. That meant his son Austin was also hearing a wide range of music, including country, grunge, modern hip-hop and classic rock.

The concert is a late addition to the Empower FCU Amphitheater’s 2024 schedule, and will be Post Malone’s first time performing in Syracuse since a 2015 show at Syracuse University.

Malone is also scheduled to perform Sept. 23 at the Broadview Stage at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) in Saratoga Springs as part of his new “F-1 Trillion” tour, dubbed “a collection of country songs” performed with The Fools For You.

“I love y’all so very much and I’m so excited to get out and play new music for you,” he said in a statement.

Malone has been one of the biggest music stars of the past decade, performing at the Super Bowl, the Grammys, “Saturday Night Live,” NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concert,” and multiple major festivals. He also launched a new outdoor stage in New York City’s Times Square, appeared in movies like “Road House,” helped launch a professional beer pong league and has his own lines of rosé wine (Maison No. 9), clothing (Trading Post Apparel), and Crocs.