Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.webp

Welcome to National Cheesecake Day!

Cheesecakes are popular desserts at bakeries and restaurants around the world, especially so today, because it is National Cheesecake Day! Cheesecakes usually consist of a mix of cheese, sugar, and eggs over a thin crust, with a topping of sweet or salty items. The type of cheese that is used often depends on the location of where the cheesecake is made. Common cheeses used around the world include cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta, and quark. Toppings may vary by location as well. Cheesecakes are either baked or chilled by refrigeration. Although, baked cheesecakes are usually chilled too, after they are baked, in order to help set their filling.

One of the most popular cheesecakes in America is "Jewish cheesecake," which is often called "New York cheesecake," because it became popular in New York City restaurants and bakeries. It consists of smooth cream cheese, a crispy crust of graham cracker or cookie crumbs, and a topping of a variety of things such as nuts, pieces of fruit, fruit sauces, sour cream, and chocolate or caramel syrup. A lighter version of the cheesecake is called "French cheesecake," which is often topped with fruit glazed with jelly.

SU News

Gadsden on chat with Brown about QB room: 'We need some competition' (PS; $; Leiker)

Oronde Gadsden II doesn’t deny that Syracuse football’s need for a quarterback came up quickly in his first chat with new coach Fran Brown.

But as Gadsden tells it, the matter wasn’t so urgent that he was about to leave the program, even as other teams again tried to court him away despite his injury.

”It wasn’t really that bad. It wasn’t that serious,” Gadsden said. “I knew (Brown) was gonna get a quarterback sooner or later. The type of recruiter he is, the type of recruiter people said he was. I know a lot of people from Jersey — basically it’s half the team — a lot of the people that were already on the team were telling me how great he was, how great he’s gonna make the team.

“Once he signed, I knew I was pretty much good to stay.”

Gadsden spoke about his initial conversation with Brown on Monday while working the Samaritan Center’s annual golf tournament at Tuscarora Golf Club through Athletes Who Care.

Brown first brought up the chat during an interview on ACC Network on Thursday while attending ACC Kickoff in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The conversation was had over the phone, Gadsden said, not long after Brown was announced as the team’s new head coach.

Gadsden had a heads up from teammates Justin Barron and Marlowe Wax that Brown was making calls to players.

ACC Kickoff mailbag: Syracuse football’s O-line has ‘maximized the time’ this offseason (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football starts fall camp within the coming days, one of the last milestones for new head coach Fran Brown before the season starts.

The most recent milestone he checked off was ACC Kickoff, which he attended alongside four of his players last week in Charlotte, North Carolina.

With some input from Brown and those players, here are the answers to reader questions about the approaching season.

Questions have been lightly edited for length and clarity.

Q: How are the O and D lines looking?

Trevor S.

Emily:
Going to focus mostly on the offensive line here. In lieu of any O-linemen being at kickoff, I asked Fadil Diggs about it first.

He revealed that the O-line has been practicing about 30 minutes extra by themselves after team walk-throughs this summer. Kyle McCord, LeQuint Allen and Brown all confirmed this.

Diggs and Allen both said J’Onre Reed and Mark Petry have really spearheaded the effort.

“They’ve taken this offseason as an opportunity to take that next step,” McCord said. “I think we had a really good spring interchanging some guys and putting them in different places and seeing how they play. Now I think they realize we have a legit chance to win. They’ve maximized the time. They’ve done a great job in the weight room. Great job in the film room.”

That sounds promising to me, and I’m looking forward to watching the unit at fall camp and talking to them about what they think that extra work did for them entering the season.

As for the D-line, Diggs said the chemistry in the unit has grown this summer off the field and that the focus has just been growing tougher.

Q: We struggled to stop the run last year and Fran pointed out in his opening presser that “We are going to stop the run.” How does he plan to achieve that?

Noah B.

Emily:
More bodies (four-down front) and bigger bodies (my top 6 at the position are all above 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds), is the simple answer.

Syracuse football: simulating the 2024 Orange season in College Football 25 (TNIAMA; Chiappone & De Guzman)
The much-hyped College Football 25 game is here, which means many Syracuse Orange fans likely started their journey of taking the program back to the promised land.

But, how does the new game feel about the Orange in the upcoming 2024 season? We put that question to the test.

Christian and I simulated Syracuse’s 2024 season 10 times each. Collectively, we have compiled the results of those 20 individual season simulations in what turned out to be a very fun exercise. As part of this, we logged everything: game scores, final records, AP polls, All-ACC nods and (much) more. We also included some categories to dive a bit deeper into some of the specific sim scenarios.

After 20 simulations, here is what we got:

The complete results

This first chart looks at the bigger picture end results. In 20 seasons, we catalogued the following:
  • Final overall record
  • Final conference record
  • Highest AP poll rank
  • Final AP poll rank
  • College Football Playoff bid, if any
  • Bowl game, if any, plus opponent and result
Here is how the Orange stacked up in those categories:

Syracuse’s full 2024 results from 20 CF25 simulations

No. 110-35-31717NoGasparilla Bowl vs. West Virginia (W)
No. 28-54-4N/AN/ANoFenway Bowl vs. East Carolina (W)
No. 36-63-521N/ANoNo
No. 48-53-5N/AN/ANoTaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs. Auburn (W)
No. 56-73-5N/AN/ANoDuke's Mayo Bowl vs. Central Florida (L)
No. 67-64-424N/ANoHoliday Bowl vs. Purdue (L)
No. 79-44-420N/ANoFenway Bowl vs. UTSA (W)
No. 85-72-6N/AN/ANoNo
No. 96-63-5N/AN/ANoNo
No. 109-45-323N/ANoGasparilla Bowl vs. West Virginia (W)

USATSI_23822217_168382967_lowres.jpg

McCord Compares Big Ten and ACC (theclemsoninsider.com; Staff)

The Atlantic Coast Conference added some of the top quarterbacks in the nation from the transfer portal. Syracuse added former Ohio State starter Kyle McCord.

At the ACC Football Kickoff McCord represented his new team. He was asked about the difference between the offensive styles in the ACC and the Big Ten.

“Yeah, I think it’s case by case,” McCord said from the podium. “I think the offense we run here is similar to the one I was at at Ohio State. But I think you look across the conference, there’s a lot of great quarterbacks in this conference. I think teams are going to obviously try to pass the ball.”

The former Buckeye knows he will face some of the best quarterback’s in the nation this year in the ACC.

“I know in the Big Ten, some of those teams will run the ball all game, pass 10 times a game. I think quarterbacks in the ACC, in my opinion, are top-notch. So I think there will be some games that might get into a little bit of a shootout this year. I think talent-wise, it’s there. Again, I think it’s case by case for each team,” said McCord.

Pair of Syracuse players named to Maxwell Award watch list, ACC leads (PS; Leiker)

Two Syracuse football players made a preseason watch list for the Maxwell Award on Monday.

Kyle McCord and LeQuint Allen were named among 80 top offensive players for the upcoming college football season.

Seventeen schools had multiple nominees, including four others from the ACC, which led with 20 total players named to the list. The Southeastern Conference and Big 12 each have 15 players named, and the Big 10 has 12.

McCord’s former school, Ohio State, and Miami boast three players a piece on the watch list.

The Maxwell Award honors the most outstanding player in college football. It has been presented since 1937 is named for former player, sportswriter and official Robert “Tiny” Maxwell.

Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. was the 2023 recipient. The ACC’s last winner was Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson in 2016.

McCord is entering his first year with the Orange but likely last season of college football after transferring from Ohio State in December.

He finished the past season with 3,170 passing yards, 24 touchdowns and six interceptions. His career completion percentage over three seasons with the Buckeyes (66.5%) is fourth in school history and fourth among active FBS quarterbacks.

Allen had his first 1,000-yard rushing season last year and was named All-ACC second team at the conclusion of the season. Additionally, he’s added 55 receptions for 327 yards and two touchdowns.

While not named this year, tight end Oronde Gadsden was named to the 2023 Maxwell Award preseason watch list and returns for the Orange after his season-ending injury.

Four star Top247 cornerback Ayden Pouncey recaps 'amazing' Syracuse visit (247sports.com; $; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted a bunch of recruits over the weekend. One of the most notable recruits on campus was 2026 cornerback prospect Ayden Pouncey. Pouncey plays at Winter Park High in Florida, is rated a four star prospect and ranked as the 130th best player overall by the 247Sports Composite Ranking. In addition to Syracuse, Pouncey holds offers from Arkansas, Boston College, Cincinnati, Duke, Florida State, Georgia, Illinois, Louisville, Miami, Missouri, NC State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCF, West Virginia, Wisconsin and many more. The 6-4 corner could have been almost anywhere in the country this past weekend and chose to be in Syracuse.

"It was amazing," Pouncey said. "We did the barbecue, facility and campus tour. I just enjoyed being around the staff. They are all really great people. It feels like family."
new lockers.jpg

MANLEY FIELD HOUSE — Ashley McGraw Architects | Syracuse, NY, Boston, MA & Washington, DC (ashleymcgraw.com)

This renovation helped to create a found space within the football complex that has become a showcase for the Syracuse University Football Team and that has become a highlight on the tour for future recruits.
The design includes new, state of the art, locker and shower rooms for the coaches and the athletes. The lockers feature lock boxes with electric for charging of cell phones and iPads. Locker compartments are placed under negative pressure and holes in the doors allow for return air to flow through the locker compartments to dry out clothing and keep the locker room smelling fresh. New showers and toilet rooms complement the new design with low flow fixtures and energy efficient lighting. Technology is everywhere and includes flat screens for showing recent games and message boards.

Don't Forget About Justus Ross-Simmons (orangefizz.net; Aitken)

Justus Ross-Simmons is a name that hasn’t been mentioned enough by Syracuse fans this offseason. It’s understandable, in a way. Kyle McCord is the most highly-touted transfer the Orange have acquired in recent memory, so he’s gotten more attention than any other offensive newcomer. In terms of other weapons, Oronde Gadsden should be healthy again and LeQuint Allen was great last season. Even Zeed Haynes, who is a less proven transfer receiver, is getting more attention, although his stock probably got boosted given that he’s coming over from Georgia. But among all those pieces, Ross-Simmons is set up to make himself known this fall

Justus Ross-Simmons is a rising junior, having transferred from Colorado State this offseason. The wide receiver played a decent amount for a freshman in 2022, tallying 426 yards and 3 touchdowns. As a sophomore, he improved overall, finishing with 724 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Those numbers aren’t eye-popping. They’re definitely solid, and Ross-Simmons’ stat line from last season were better than any of Syracuse’s wide receivers. However, that’s not saying much, since the Orange were playing with a tight end at quarterback half the time.

Syracuse Football Preview: Tight Ends (waer.org; Della Piana)
Syracuse football is just over a month away, and the Orange have constructed one of the most talented tight end groups for 2024. In fact, On3 placed the SU tight end corps fourth in the country, below powerhouses Georgia, Michigan, and North Carolina.

This position group features many of last year's top players, as well as some newcomers who will join those experienced veterans. So, let's meet the tight ends who expect to make a big impression on new co-offensive coordinator/tight ends coach Michael Johnson.

Oronde Gadsden II, Redshirt Junior

Oronde Gadsden II is back after suffering a season-ending injury early in 2023, appearing in only two games. Gadsden, who stands 6'5'' and weighs 236 pounds, is an excellent route runner with the right size and speed to be a talented tight end in the slot.

His 2022 campaign should inspire fans to believe in what he can accomplish moving ahead. He broke Syracuse's single-season catches and receiving yards records as a tight end and had one of the most prolific sophomore seasons by a pass catcher regardless of position, propelling him to First Team All-ACC. He switched to tight end before the 2022 season.

Dan Villari, Redshirt Junior

It's no secret that Dan Villari was Syracuse's Swiss Army knife last season after being an all-purpose player, playing tight end, quarterback, and even running back in the Orange offense. With quarterback Garrett Shrader's injuries in the second half of the season, Villari was all over the field in the remainder of the campaign.

In total, the former Michigan Wolverine completed 22 of 33 passes for 177 yards and one touchdown, ran 55 times for 326 yards and two touchdowns, and grabbed 20 catches for 180 yards and three touchdowns.

Mike McAllister "Orange Nation" 7-29-24 (youtube; radio; Orange Nation)
Syracuse on 247Sports publisher Mike McAllister joins Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia to discuss this past weekend of Syracuse football visits, react to to Kiyan Anthony's Top 6, and more
Keeping Up With The 315 7-29-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)
Brian Higgins begins the show with his thoughts on some Award news for Syracuse football and thoughts on how Year 1 of Fran Brown training camp will look. Then, he gives an Olympics update before discussing the recent quote from Fran Brown on why Oronde Gadsden came back vs. entering the portal.
What Head Coach Fran Brown Has Accomplished Already for Syracuse Football | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Football new Head Coach Fran Brown has already accomplished a lot before coaching a down. Coach Brown got four stars Kyle McCord and Fadil Diggs, leading to the Cuse having a top-25 transfer portal class. Brown also secured five four-star recruits in 2024 headlined by KingJoseph Edwards, Jamie Tremble, Emanuel Ross, Caden Brown, and Marcellus Barnes Jr. The Orange also have elite recruits in 2026 like Demetres Samuel Jr. and Izayia Williams.

Jackson Holzer tells you what Coach Brown has accomplished before coaching a down on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.
0:00- Transfer Portal Success
11:44- Recruiting Spike
18:51- Expectations are BACK

Syracuse Football has a TOP 25 TRANSFER PORTAL CLASS - Thank you Fran Brown (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse; premieres at 10 AM EST)
Syracuse Football landed a number of quality transfers thanks to the hard work and relationships of new head coach Fran Brown. The biggest two are Ohio St. quarterback Kyle McCord and Texas A&M defensive lineman Fadil Diggs. The Orange also retained Oronde Gadsden, Marlowe Wax, LeQuint Allen, and Justin Barron.Fran Brown has already made his impact in the transfer portal for Cuse Football.
Syracuse at UConn | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E5 (youtube; simulation; Playbook Gamer)

Syracuse at UConn | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E5
College Football 25 Dynasty Week 7 vs. Syracuse (youtube; simulation;l Maddenfan9gamer)

College Football 25 Dynasty Week 7 vs. Syracuse

Paulus to be Inducted into NYSPHSAA Hall of Fame Wednesday - Niagara University Athletics (purpleeagles.com)

Niagara University head men's basketball coach Greg Paulus will be inducted into the New York State Public High School Athletic Association Hall of Fame on Wednesday, July 31 at The Hyatt Long Island East End in Riverhead, N.Y.

Paulus is one of six inductees in the Class of 2024 joining Brian Giorgis (Coach, Section I), Roberta "Robbie" Greene (Administrator, Section IX), Mike Hart (Athlete, Section III), Caryn Schoff-Kovatch (Athlete, Section 2), and Robert Stulmaker (Administrator, Section 2).

Paulus, who is entering his sixth season at the helm of Niagara basketball was considered the best quarterback and point guard in the state during his years at Christian Brothers Academy (CBA) in Syracuse. Paulus led CBA to its first NYSPHSAA Football State Championship, becoming the first Section III Class AA football team to win a state title.

Under center, he broke state records for most touchdowns (152) and most yards (11,760) in a career and most yards in a season (3,677) while earning All-State honors from 2001-04. Additionally, Greg was recognized by Sports Illustrated as the best quarterback in the nation and collected football All-America honors from the U.S. Army, Parade and USA Today. In 2004, he received the Gatorade National High School Player of the Year (which covers all sports).

On the court, Greg accumulated 2,399 career points (12th in NYS), was named All-State four times and won New York State Mr. Basketball. In 2005, he was a McDonald's All-American and rated as the top point guard in the country by . He went onto Duke on a full scholarship as their starting point guard, tallying 1,193 career points and ranks in the top ten in career assists (468), three-point field goals (210) and three-point percentage (.398).

The two-time captain and two-time Academic All-American won three ACC Championships and earned numerous All-Conference honors. After graduating from Duke, Greg played one season as the Syracuse University starting quarterback, passing for 2,024 yards, 13 touchdowns and a single season school record completion percentage of 67.7.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #0, DB Duce Chestnut (TNIAAM; De Guzman)
It’s time to start preparing for the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get to know a lot of new faces to kick off the Fran Brown Era.

Next up is...

Name: Duce Chestnut

Position: Defensive Back

Year: Redshirt Junior

Height: 6’0”

Weight: 200 lbs.

Hometown: Camden, NJ

High School: Camden

Previous School: LSU

2023 stats: Played only the first four games at LSU with six tackles and an interception.

2024 projections: Duce’s return to Central New York comes with a position change to safety, which he did play at times in high school. Chestnut has been a cornerback primarily in college, so it’ll be interesting to see how he adjusts to the position back in Syracuse. At any rate, it’s good to see him back in an Orange uniform.

How’d he get here?: Chestnut entered the portal on December 26 and announced his return to Syracuse when the ball dropped on New Year’s Day. Out of high school, Duce was highly coveted as the Orange won out over Michigan State, Louisville, Miami and Rutgers.

Goon Squad Traditions Make Lasting Impact (syracuse.edu)
William “Bill” Harris ’65, G’79 is all about doing the greatest good for the greatest number. So, when he considered joining a student organization, the Syracuse native carefully weighed his options.

4295-Members_of_goon_squad_at_Syracuse_in_the_1970s

With their signature straw hats and Jiminy Cricket buttons, Goons were easy to spot in the 1960s and ’70s. (University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, Syracuse University Libraries)

“I was a member of Phi Gamma Delta at Syracuse University, where many of my brothers also belonged to the Goon Squad,” recalls Harris some 65 years later. “Despite their unusual name, the Goons had a reputation for helping others, particularly new students on move-in day.”
That many of his brothers-turned-Goons played varsity lacrosse or were on the Orange’s 1959 national championship football team made for memorable moments. “They were a fun bunch of guys,” says Harris, who taught low brass in the Setnor School of Music for more than 50 years. “I’ve kept in touch with many of them.”
As far as campus traditions go, the 80-year-old Goon Squad is one of the University’s oldest. The group also is a perpetual work in progress, explains Harris, who was a Goon for a year. “The squad has changed a lot over time, but underneath it all is a sense of pride and enthusiasm that never goes away.”

ACC News

ESPN computer predicts ACC football rankings for 2024 season (SI; Parks)

Media Days is in the books and now as ACC teams return to school and prepare for fall camp, it's time to get an updated look at the conference's football power rankings as we move into a historic 2024 season marked by conference realignment and the expanded playoff.

Some of that realignment took place in the ACC itself, which responded to the new market pressures by expanding well beyond its Atlantic Coast roots, adding a school in the Dallas area and a pair of old West Coast rivals to the conference rotation.

Here's a look at what ESPN's Football Power Index computer prediction model makes of the ACC football rankings ahead of the 2024 season.

ESPN computer predicts ACC football rankings in 2024
17. Virginia. Expect the Cavaliers to win 4.6 games this season as the index projects Tony Elliott's team to be 1.4 points worse than its opponents on average.

16. Wake Forest. Offensive upgrades are needed for the Deacs, who are projected to win 5.3 games with a mere 45 percent chance to play in a bowl game.

15. Syracuse. New coach Fran Brown brings on ex-Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord, but the Orange are still only getting 5.8 wins on the ESPN index.

14. Stanford. The Cardinal have won just 13 total games since 2020 and this year the FPI predicts it will get just 5 more, with a 42 percent chance at becoming bowl eligible.

13. Boston College. Head coach Bill O'Brien has possibilities with Thomas Castellanos at quarterback, but so far the Eagles are getting 5.6 wins.

12. Georgia Tech. Haynes King returns at quarterback with key offensive contributors but the computers predict just 4.9 wins and a meager 36.8 percent shot at the bowl game.

11. Pittsburgh. Outgoing transfers leave Pitt's defense a big question going forward, but we should see the Panthers make a bowl with an expected 6.4 wins.

10. Duke. Manny Diaz steps in with a reputation for building defenses, but the ESPN computer projects 6.1 wins in his first year as head coach.

9. Virginia Tech. A ton of returning production for head coach Brent Pry includes quarterback Kyron Drones and what could be a repeat of last year's 7-6 run, according to the analytics.

8. Cal. The return of tailback Jadyn Ott is a major plus for the Golden Bears in their ACC debut, good enough for a projected 7 wins on the ESPN index.

7. North Carolina. There's a hole to fill at quarterback and the defense has always been a concern for Mack Brown, which has the computer pressing pause on the Heels at 7.5 wins this year.

6. NC State. The addition of veteran quarterback Grayson McCall and returning defensive personnel put the Wolfpack in the neighborhood of 8 wins with a 14 percent shot at the playoff.

5. SMU. Coming off an 11-win season in the American, the Mustangs return quarterback Preston Stone and face a more winnable schedule, as FPI projects 8.3 wins.

4. Miami. Incoming transfers on offense put the Hurricanes within striking distance of the ACC title, as the index forecasts 8.2 wins and an 18 percent chance at the CFP.

3. Louisville. Another transfer-loaded team for head coach Jeff Brohm, including quarterback Tyler Shough and ex-Bama wideout Ja'Corey Brooks, with 8 wins expected for the Cardinals.

2. Clemson. A projected 8.5 wins for what should be another strong defensive team, but we'll see if Garrett Riley's offense can find that game-changing receiver for Cade Klubnik.

1. Florida State. Expect a second-straight ACC title for the Seminoles, who are expected to win 8.8 games and make the playoff with 36 percent likelihood.

Syracuse football | Sports360AZ (sports360az.com; Amsden)
As strange as its been for the last three years to be covering Arizona sports while based out of Charlotte, North Carolina- sometimes opportunities fall into my lap that I’d never have been able to take advantage of on the west coast. Last week, that was the chance to crash the Atlantic Coast Conference’s media day to see if I could get some updates on Arizona connections to the east-coast-based conference that now strangely includes Cal and Stanford as castoffs.

Here’s what I was able to dig up:

Stanford QB Ashton Daniels’ advice to Dylan Raiola
Stanford QB Ashton Daniels prepped at Buford High northeast of Atlanta, and that’s where former Chandler High QB and #1 recruit in all of America, Dylan Raiola, chose to spend his senior year. I asked Ashton Daniels what advice he has for Raiola as he prepares to compete to start at Nebraska as a true freshman”

“That’s my guy. I’ve made sure to keep in contact with him ever since I heard he was coming to Buford. You have to go in there (Nebraska) with the right mindset. There might be a change in the offensive scheme, but the reason they recruited him is because they know that he fits their offense well, and that’s how it is with most colleges. I have no doubt that (Raiola) is going to go in there and do great things for Nebraska this year.”

Stanford LB Tristan Sinclair on Anthony Franklin and Myles Libman

Stanford LB Tristan Sinclair plays on the Cardinal defense alongside Pinnacle High alum Anthony Franklin, and plays on the opposite side of the ball as former Pinnacle WR Myles Libman. Here’s what he had to say:

“Big Frank! He’s a big dude but he can move really well. He makes plays, and he’s strong. It helps that he’s healthy now, because he played through having a bad shoulder all year last year. Anthony Franklin is doing really well and I’m excited to have him back in fall camp. He’s one of the hardest workers and it’s fun to play behind him.”

“Myles is a very good receiver, he definitely belongs at this level. The way he rounds off routes and his hands- if you don’t know about him now, you probably will eventually.”

Cal QB Chandler Rogers on future NFL Hall of Famer and Chandler alum Cam Jordan

Cal QB Chandler Rogers transferred in from University of North Texas, but prior to that he was a two-year starter at University of Louisiana Monroe. Now that he’s set to play for the same University as New Orleans Saint legend Cam Jordan, I asked Rogers how people in Louisiana feel about Jordan as a player and person.

“He’s one of the very favorite players in the state of Louisiana, period. Not only because of his time with the Saints, but because f how involved he is with the community there. It was great to find out he’s a Cal Bear. It was fun to find that out when I started watching the Saints, and you say to yourself ‘oh he went to Cal, so he’s a smart guy.'”

Cal Safety Craig Woodson on Queen Creek alum Hunter Barth and Desert Vista alum Brett Johnson

Craig Woodson has been at Cal since 2019, so he’s seen plenty of Arizona prep football players come and go in Berkeley. I asked him about the progress of playing alongside both Queen Creek’s Hunter Barth, and Desert Vista’s Brett Johnson:

https://collegefootballnews.com/col...l-win-totals-predictions-odds-consensus-picks (CFN)

ACC Football Win Totals

Boston College Win Total

Boston College Preview
BetMGM: 4.5
Caesars: 4.5
FanDuel: 4.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 6
Consensus Win Total: 4.875
Boston College Will Win: 6

Cal Win Total

Cal Preview
BetMGM: 6
Caesars: 6
FanDuel: 6.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 6.5
Consensus Win Total: 6.25
Cal Will Win: 7

Clemson Win Total

Clemson Preview
BetMGM: 9.5
Caesars: 9
FanDuel: 8.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 9
Consensus Win Total: 9
Clemson Will Win: 9

Duke Win Total

Duke Preview
BetMGM: 5.5
Caesars: 5
FanDuel: 5.5
Consensus Win Total: 5.5
Duke Will Win: 6

Florida State Win Total

Florida State Preview
Caesars: 9.5
FanDuel: 9.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 10
Consensus Win Total: 9.625
Florida State Will Win: 10

Georgia Tech Win Total

Georgia Tech Preview
BetMGM: 5
Caesars: 5
FanDuel: 4.5
Consensus Win Total: 5.125
Georgia Tech Will Win: 6

Louisville Win Total

Louisville Preview
BetMGM: 8
Caesars: 8.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 8
Consensus Win Total: 8.25
Louisville Will Win: 8

Miami Win Total

Miami Preview
Caesars: 9
FanDuel: 9.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 9
Consensus Win Total: 9.25
Miami Will Win: 8

NC State Win Total

NC State Preview
BetMGM: 8.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 8.5
Consensus Win Total: 8.5
NC State Will Win: 9

North Carolina Win Total

North Carolina Preview
BetMGM: 7.5
Caesars: 7.5
FanDuel: 7.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 8
Consensus Win Total: 7.625
North Carolina Will Win: 8

Pitt Win Total

Pitt Preview
BetMGM: 5.5
Caesars: 5.5
FanDuel: 5.5
Consensus Win Total: 5.625
Pitt Will Win: 7

SMU Win Total

SMU Preview
BetMGM: 8.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 7.5
Consensus Win Total: 8.25
SMU Will Win: 6

Stanford Win Total

Stanford Preview
BetMGM: 3.5
Caesars: 3.5
FanDuel: 3.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 5.5
Consensus Win Total: 4
Stanford Will Win: 5

Syracuse Win Total

Syracuse Preview
BetMGM: 7
Caesars: 7.5
FanDuel: 7.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 6.5
Consensus Win Total: 7.125
Syracuse Will Win: 6

"I just want more:" Mike Norvell, Azareye’h Thomas, and Omarion Cooper examine the fourth FSU practice of fall camp (tomahawknation.com; Silversmith)

Florida State received an off day yesterday, leading to a physical, competitive practice in shells on Sunday. Mike Norvell uncharacteristically discussed some of the offense's struggles so far and what he thinks they need to do to improve.

“I thought offensively, there was some stuff today that definitely was not as clean as we need them to be. I’ve got a little empathy for the workload and knowledge that’s going in, especially for those newcomers, but I just want more.”

Later, the head coach described in detail what he sees from each receiver, highlighting Hykeem Williams as a player on the cusp of reaching his full potential.

“Hykeem, I’m very excited about where he’s been. I think he is definitely playing his best ball, and it’s about cleaning up some of those little things.”

“I think he’s close.”

Below are the interviews with Mike Norvell, Omarion Cooper, and Azareye’h Thomas.

ACC Network Adds Tom Luginbill and Dana Boyle to ACC Primetime Football Announce Team; ACC Huddle & ACC PM to Travel to Campus Sites All Season (espnpressroom.com; Bradley)
  • Analyst Luginbill & sideline reporter Boyle join play-by-play voice Wes Durham on ACC Primetime Football
  • ACC Huddle & ACC PM to travel to game sites each week this fall; ACC Huddle travels overseas to Dublin in Week 0
  • ACC Football Road Trip returns with 17 campus visits July 29-Aug. 20
  • All Access with Syracuse Football premieres Aug. 12; new season of 3-Day Weekend Highlights Cal, SMU and Stanford
ACC Network unveiled a series of programming announcements, initiatives and talent updates in anticipation of the 2024 college football season as ACC Football Kickoff officially started Monday in Charlotte, N.C. ESPN college football analyst Tom Luginbill will serve as the analyst for ACC Primetime Football games alongside longtime ACC football voice Wes Durham and new sideline reporter Dana Boyle. It was also announced that for the second straight season, ACC Huddle and ACC PM will travel to game sites each week this fall.

The 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports also announced: ACC Football Road Trip is returning for a fourth straight year with visits to all 17 campuses July 29-August 20; the three-part All Access with Syracuse Football premieres Aug. 12; and a new season of 3-Day Weekend highlights first-year ACC members Cal, SMU and Stanford. Details:

Tom Luginbill and Dana Boyle to Join Wes Durham on ACC Primetime Football

Veteran ESPN college football analyst and national recruiting director Tom Luginbill will be the new analyst for ACC Primetime Football games this fall, joining play-by-play voice Wes Durham in the booth. University of Virginia alumna Dana Boyle will round out the primetime announce team as the new sideline reporter.

Luginbill, the former ACC Newcomer of the Year as Georgia Tech’s quarterback in 1994, joined ESPN in 2005 and provides recruiting analysis for top collegiate football prospects as the director of scouting in addition to his college football analyst role. Luginbill, who has spent the last 10 years as a college football field analyst for ABC and ESPN, also contributes to ESPN’s UFL coverage and serves as an analyst on College Football Live.

Boyle is a former All-ACC lacrosse player for the Cavaliers and has served as a lacrosse analyst and sideline reporter since joining ESPN and ACC Network in 2020. Boyle interned with the College Football Playoff after finishing her collegiate lacrosse career and has also reported on college football and college hockey coverage across ESPN platforms.

The new-look team’s first Saturday night game will be Aug. 31 when Georgia Tech hosts Georgia State at 8 p.m. at Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta.

Is the Big Ten better at football than the ACC? (RX; HM)

Is the Big Ten better at football than the ACC?
Matt Rhule, head football coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, made the claim last week that the Big Ten was the NFL of college football and deserved at least four playoff bids. Really, coach?

Let's consider some very basic stats from the last 15 years related to playing football at the top-level:

StatisticB1GACC
Nat'l Titles
Last 15 years
CFP Playoff
Wins
Heisman
Trophies
Nat'l Champion
Head Coaches

The ACC literally is better in every single one of these statistics. But what about the overall non-conference win percentage, you may ask - doesn't the Big Ten win at a better percentage than the ACC?

Well, at first glance you'd say yes. In the 2023-24 season, the total non-conference records were

Big Ten 39-13 (71.18%)
ACC 44-23 (61.59%)

Slam dunk, right? Not so fast! The Big Ten played more G5 cupcakes (21 for them, vs 17 for the ACC) and fewer P5 teams (22 for the B1G, 26 for the ACC). If you look at each segment separatedly, you get

Big Ten vs P5: 10-12 (45.45%)
ACC vs P5: 12-14 (46.15%)

slight edge to the ACC! Even in G5 games, the Big Ten played ALL of them at home, while ACC teams went on the road for 6 G5 games.*
Head-to-head, the ACC and Big Ten split their 8 games, 4-4. However, it bears mentioning that the ACC finished last season 7-5 against the SEC (and that includes FSU mailing in an Orange Bowl loss), while the Big Ten went 2-4 against the SEC.

Did 2024 ACC message miss the mark on Tough OOC? (RX; HM)

Did 2024 ACC message miss the mark on Tough OOC?
The ACC has a message: it plays the toughest non-conference football schedule in college football. This week internet trolls, along with a few sports writers, have made it into a joke.

"Why does the ACC play the toughest non-conference schedule?
Because their conference schedule is so weak."

ACC fans know the truth. The ACC is a strong football league. Yes, there have been some weak teams near the bottom of the conference, but that doesn't define the whole group!

Strength of schedule is probably the most misunderstood Stat in college sports. The SEC-SEC-SEC crowd have been conditioned to think that SoS is all that matters. They've been taught to embrace the "quality loss". However, it's the TV people who push this narrative. Why? Because they don't care who wins, they just want compelling match-ups.

2024 Maxwell Award Watch List (RX; HM)

2024 Maxwell Award Watch List

From the official ACC release of Monday, July 29, 2024...

ACC Places 20 Student-Athletes on Maxwell Award Watch List

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference led the way with 20 players named to the watch list for the 88th Maxwell Award, The Maxwell Football Club announced on Monday, July 29. The ACC boasts 20 candidates, followed by the SEC (15), Big12 (15) and Big10 (12).
The Maxwell Award
has been presented annually to the College Player of the Year since 1937. The award is named in honor of Robert “Tiny” Maxwell, a former standout at Swarthmore College and a renowned sportswriter and football official.
The full list consists of 80 players, with Miami leading the way with three candidates, while Clemson, Georgia Tech, Syracuse and Virginia Tech have two players each.

Dustin's 2024 College GameDay guesses (RX; HM)

Dustin's 2024 College GameDay guesses

From the YouTube channel "College Football Lifer"...

Where Will College GameDay Be in 2024?

ESPN's GameDay Predictions

https://youtu.be/6IVpyI3LspY

Dustin's ACC Picks:

Week 0 Florida St vs Ga Tech
Week 1 Notre Dame @ Texas A&M
Week 6 Clemson @ Florida St
Week 9 Florida St @ Miami

Other notable games picked

Week 2 Texas @ Michigan
Week 5 Georgia @ Alabama
Week 7 Ohio State @ Oregon
Week 8 Georgia @ Texas
Week 11 Alabama @ LSU
Week 14 Texas @ Texas A&M

Videos 2024 July 29 (RX; HM)

Videos 2024 July 29

Here are a couple of videos for you night owls and West Coast fans...

How Jim Phillips is Changing

the Perception of the ACC

How Jim Phillips is Changing the Perception of the ACC
ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips joined Joe Ovies & Joe Giglio at #ACCKickoff. They discussed how to change the perception of the conference to match the reality of their success on the field and court, implementing the financial success initiatives, and more.
5 Stars Only. Positive Vibes Only.
- OVIES & GIGLIO
_____

ACC Tiers: Miami, Clemson, Florida St.

and then WHO? | Always College Football

ACC Tiers: Miami, Clemson, Florida St. and then WHO? | Always College Football

The ACC has a lot of questions heading into the 2024 season - and we are only talking ON the field. McElroy breaks down the tier’s of ACC teams and tells you why Clemson, Florida State and Miami are all at the top but not national title contenders (yet). Plus can NC State and Louisville crash the party and earn a CFP bid? Is the new guy SMU a threat or will it be Virginia Tech, and all their returning production, be the feel good story of the ACC in ‘24?

0:00 Intro
1:35 The BIG 10 is broken down into 5 Tiers
2:45 Does the ACC have a legit National Title contender?
3:45 Miami looks like it has the best roster in the ACC heading into ‘24
7:25 Can Florida State make it in the 12 team CFP?
11:39 How dangerous is Clemson and why are people sleeping on them?
16:17 8/9 win teams from the ACC that no one wants to play
16:45 NC State just keeps winning - are they a dark horse in the ACC
19:45 Can Louisville do it again and surprise everyone in the ACC
23:40 SMU joins the ACC, what are the expectations
26:03 Virginia Tech returns A LOT - will it pay off?
28:01 What can we expect from North Carolina and Mack Brown
30:48 Georgia Tech, Pitt and Syracuse SHOULD make a bowl game
36:50 Cal and BC have enough to get to 6 wins - check the schedule and roster
40:30
SOURCE: ACC 'Likely' to Steal Expansion Big 12 Schools in Realignment Via Move from ESPN | TCU, Utah (youtube; podcast; Locked on Big 12)
If the ACC managed to lure schools like Utah and TCU away from the Big 12, the landscape of college football would undergo a significant transformation. Such a move would have wide-ranging implications for the competitiveness, financial health, and geographic footprint of both conferences.Strengthened ACC CompetitivenessThe addition of Utah and TCU would immediately bolster the ACC's competitiveness. Utah, known for its strong defensive play and disciplined approach under head coach Kyle Whittingham, has consistently been a formidable contender in the Pac-12 and now the Big 12. TCU, with its history of producing high-powered offenses and resilient defenses under head coach Sonny Dykes, has also been a significant player in the Big 12. Their inclusion would introduce high-stakes matchups against traditional ACC powerhouses like Clemson and Florida State, enhancing the overall quality and excitement of the conference’s football season.
Dutch's Fresh 24 | College Football Edition | ACC Preview 2024 | SMU Mustangs (youtube; podcast; Dutch Fresh)

Dutch's Fresh 24 | College Football Edition | ACC Preview 2024 | SMU Mustangs

Other

Home values in Onondaga County just did something jaw-dropping (PS; $; Tampone)

Home values in Onondaga County increased at one of the fastest rates in the nation in June, according to data from Zillow.

The county saw home values rise 12.33% in June when compared with the same month a year ago. That was the fastest growth rate in New York and No. 34 in the U.S. out of more than 3,000 counties for which Zillow had data.

That placed Onondaga in the top 1.1% of all U.S. counties for increase in home values in June.

The numbers come from Zillow’s Home Value Index, a monthly measure of the typical home value in a given area over time. The number reflects the typical value for a home in the 35th to 65th percentile range.

The figures are seasonally adjusted and reflect values for both single-family homes and condos.

Onondaga County’s typical home value of just over $249,000 in June was the highest in Zillow records dating back more than two decades.

You can see details of typical home values in Onondaga County over time in the chart below. If you can’t see the chart, click here to open it in a new window.

Home values began rising steadily in Onondaga County around 2015, but began spiking dramatically after the Covid-19 pandemic hit. Multiple real estate experts have said the current market for residential homes in the county is one of the most challenging in the region’s history for buyers.

A historically low number of homes for sale has contributed to intense competition and hurdles previously unheard of for buyers in Central New York. Waived inspections, bidding wars and properties selling for tens of thousands of dollars more than their list prices are all now commonplace, realtors have said.

Don’t get lost: NYS DOT begins changing exit numbers on Central NY highways (PS; Herbert)

The New York State Department of Transportation has begun changing exit numbers on multiple highways in Central New York.

Exits on Interstate 81, Interstate 690 and state Route 481 will be updated to numbers matching their mile markers along each highway, the DOT announced last month. Exit 11 for Ithaca/Cortland on I-81 recently changed to Exit 52 and Exit 13 for state Rt. 281/Preble is now Exit 62; both include smaller signs noting the “old exit” number.

Highway exit signs across the Empire State have long been numbered in chronological order, but will follow their mileage locations. The state said it will help drivers know how many miles to each exit or destination, improving traffic management and helping with emergency responses.

“The safety and convenience of the traveling public are always top priorities for the New York State Department of Transportation and these new exit numbers will allow drivers to make safer and better-informed travel decisions as they journey along some of Central New York’s busiest highways,” state DOT Commissioner Marie Therese Dominguez said in a statement. “With mile-based exit signs, drivers will be able to easily determine where they are and how far they need to go to reach their destinations, enabling more efficient travel planning and enhanced safety for all who use our highways.”

According to Spectrum News, the new exit numbers on I-81 are based on the distance in miles from the Pennsylvania border to the Canadian border. Exit numbers on I-690 will be based on the distance from west to east beginning at the New York State Thruway, while new state Route 481 numbers will mark the mileage from north to south starting at the I-481 interchange.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom