Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.webp

Welcome to National IPA Day!

National IPA Day is celebrated to increase appreciation for one of the world's most popular types of craft beer: the India Pale Ale—commonly known as the IPA. Made with hops and pale malts, the IPA has a full-bodied taste that is bold and bitter. It has a higher alcohol content than the average beer, and many different hop strains are used to brew it. The day brings together large and small breweries, and beer lovers and connoisseurs, for IPA tastings, festivals, and other events.

Although some evidence suggests IPAs were being made in England before they started being sent to India, they gained their name because British sailors traveling to India as part of the East India Company began drinking them in the late eighteenth century. One reason sailors brought them on their journey was the hot climate of India made it difficult to brew beer there. The pale ales had a higher hop content, which helped them better keep their taste as they traveled from England to India, as hops are a natural preservative. They were not the only beer that could be shipped at the time, though, as porters were also shipped to India and California.

SU News

JoeZhao_APE_FootballPracticeSpring2024_20240416-61.jpg

Joe Zhao | Video Editor

Fran Brown talks 1st year as head coach, battles in the trenches ahead of SU training camp (DO; Stepansky)

Fran Brown’s first training camp will look different from his players’ perspective. Student-athletes will be housed in dorms together during camp, a key Brown believes can bring his team closer together. Players aren’t allowed to drive from the dorm to the facility. Instead, they must walk.

Along with surviving the grueling nature of training camp together, he sees it as a chance to build core memories to last a lifetime. Brown says he did the same at Western Carolina, bringing an old-time feel back to the program. SU’s new coach says it was half his doing and partially the idea of senior leaders Fadil Diggs and Alijah Clark.

While Brown’s first game on the sideline is exactly a month away when SU takes on Ohio, the building blocks of training camp will carry the team throughout the season. Brown addressed the team Tuesday night with an admitted nervousness but a simple message to his group.

“We had to make sure they knew that we’re here to work,” Brown said. “We have to put Syracuse back on the map.”

Here are some takeaways from Brown’s opening press conference for the 2024 season:

‘That’s the bell cow’

Across the offensive and defensive lines, Brown mentioned a few points of emphasis heading into training camp. Throughout the summer, the team did “skull sessions” each Wednesday to discuss different topics to insert into the foundations of the line. Brown believes players can fall back on the concepts throughout the season.

Offensively, David Wohlabaugh Jr. is on a rep count to start training camp as he continues to work back from a season-ending broken fibula in the second game of the 2023 season. The tackle transferred to SU after two seasons with Kentucky.

Also on offense, Colorado transfer Savion Washington brings extreme size and athleticism to the group as a 6-foot-8, 340-pound player. Brown says by watching his film from Colorado, he sees Washington with more confidence and trust in himself being a key piece to the unit.

On the defensive line, Brown announced KingJoseph Edwards won’t practice the first two days of training camp due to an in-house issue that Brown described as “nothing major.” To round out the defensive line, he says he saw growth in Dion Wilson Jr. as a leader. Wilson transferred from New Mexico State, where he appeared in 14 games in 2023.

With new additions and players returning from injury, the interior units will be crucial to any success in Brown’s first season.

“Our offensive and defensive line are truly our foundation, that’s the bell cow,” Brown said.

1st-year challenges

Brown enters his first year as a head coach at Syracuse, and with any program. With an experienced coaching staff around him, the Orange are mixing in new ideas the program hasn’t seen to build upon the work done in spring practice.

As a new head coach, Brown says he’s learning from the rest of his staff daily.

“I learned that I like to listen,” Brown said. “I listen to all the coaches. I think we have a great staff, so I ask a lot of questions. I know I’m the head football coach but there’s 10 other guys, a bunch of young guys, and support staff. I learned how to listen.”

https://cuse.com/news/2024/7/31/football-orange-report-for-2024-preseason-camp (cuse.com)

Football is back in 'Cuse! Members of the Syracuse football team returned to the John A. Lally Athletic Complex on Tuesday following a break between summer conditioning and preseason camp. Following two days of meetings, 'Cuse will begin football activities on Thursday.

First-year head coach Fran Brown addressed the media on Wednesday to talk about the upcoming preseason camp and the 2024 campaign, which includes an old-school vibe: players will be living on campus together and turned in their car keys so the players can lock in on the month that lies ahead without distractions.

Brown spoke on that and other topics Wednesday:

Syracuse football misses Top 10 in ACC preseason poll; Florida State favored to repeat title (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football can label itself an underdog again this season.

The Orange was picked to finish 12th of 17 teams in the ACC preseason poll, which the conference released Wednesday evening.

The projected order of finish is voted on by media members including all those credentialed for ACC Kickoff, which took place July 22-25 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Teams ranked 10th through 13th in the poll — Cal, Duke, Syracuse and Pittsburgh — were separated by fewer than 100 points.

Last year, in what ended up being Dino Babers’ final year at the helm, SU was ranked 10th of 14. It finished the season 6-7 with just two conference wins.

Syracuse has a first-time head coach in Fran Brown but kept much of its talent from 2023 while adding higher-profile new contributors like quarterback Kyle McCord and defensive lineman Fadil Diggs from the transfer portal.

The Orange face two of three new programs to the conference this year, hosting Stanford on Sept. 20 and flying west to visit Cal on Nov. 16.

SU also faces Miami (home), N.C. State (away) and Virginia Tech (home), which were three of eight schools to receive at least one first-place vote in the poll.

Florida State is the favorite to win the conference, with Clemson a close second. The Seminoles would be repeat title-winners after going undefeated in the ACC last season and finishing the year 13-1.

This year’s ACC Championship game will again take place at Bank of America Stadium on Dec. 7 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

It will feature the teams with the two best conference winning percentages. Head-to-head competition and then winning percentage against common opponents are used as tiebreakers.

The All-ACC preseason team, also voted on by media members, should release in the coming days.

Fran Brown has Syracuse players hand in keys, stay in dorms for preseason camp: ‘It’s old school’ (PS; $; Leiker)

The Syracuse football program is getting cozy this fall camp.

The entire team has moved into a campus dorm to live together for the next four weeks, coach Fran Brown said Wednesday during a press conference.

Brown took their car keys, leaving them to walk to and from practice together and find other modes of transportation to get elsewhere around town.

“Just trying to allow us to truly become more together as a family,” Brown said. “These are memories and bonds that will form that will last a lifetime... It’s old school.”

Brown had been considering the plan, he said, but it was team leaders that pushed it into action.

Once they heard it was an option to bunk together in August, they came to Brown to express their support of the idea.

Fadil Diggs was the first. Alijah Clark and Mark Petry endorsed it, too.

“This is what we wanna do,” Brown said they told him.

Brown worked with Syracuse University’s housing staff, who he thanked Wednesday, to be able to make the plan a reality.

Beyond the bonding element, Brown said he hopes his players will be reminded that they’re not entitled to anything: “You can get to where need to get to when it’s time to get there,” he said.

The action is indicative of a larger hunkering down Syracuse is doing ahead of its first season with Brown at the helm.

Late Tuesday night, offensive lineman Enrique Cruz posted on X, formally known as Twitter, that he might not be too responsive on his phone come Thursday.

"If you call or text and hear crickets, don’t panic,” Cruz wrote. “I’m not ghosting you; I’m just busy living my best football life.”

Brown said Wednesday that “consistency” is one of the biggest things he’s learned makes training camp work throughout his coaching tenure.

The type of controlled environment created by having the team live together, where players can better hold teammates accountable and outside distractions are limited, makes that consistency easier to attain.

Brown isn’t completely locking his players down, though.

At a private event hosted by ESPN Radio Syracuse from which audio clips were posted by the station Tuesday, Brown said he didn’t take things like gaming consoles away from players.

Taking care of his team, he said Wednesday, includes letting players have their breaks and relaxation when the time is right.

Syracuse football: who emerges at cornerback for the Orange? (TNIAAM; Wall)

As Syracuse Orange football camp kicks off, we want to take a look at some of the expected position battles which will unfold over the next month. Today, let’s look at the cornerback position.

The Orange secondary appears set with Alijah Clark, Justin Barron and Duce Chestnut at the three safety spots, but what about the corners? It looks like camp will begin with five players vying for the starting spots on the outside.

You have returners Jordan Bellamy and Greg Delaine up against transfers Devin Grant, Clarence Lewis and freshman Marcellus Barnes. Each of these players should be in the rotation, but who will break the huddle on the first snap against Ohio?

Grant was a first-team All-MAC selection last year at Buffalo as he made 79 tackles to go with his five interceptions. The Orange moved him to corner in the spring and that would indicate that he’s likely to be lined up at one spot

Bellamy made seven starts last season while Delaine got a start against Boston College. Had their been stability on the coaching staff, they might have had the inside track heading into camp, but that’s not the case with a new staff in the Cuse.

Clarence Lewis lost his spot at Notre Dame, but he made 23 starts at corner for the Irish and the graduate student brings experience and leadership. On the other end, the freshman Barnes comes in with a lot of promise. A highly regarded recruit who turned heads during the spring, Barnes won’t be brought along slowly this Fall, he’ll be right in the mix.

From the outside, I’d say Grant and Bellamy have the early edge at the starting spots, but we’re going to be keeping an eye on what develops over the next few weeks.

The Juice Online - Rapid Reaction: Syracuse undervalued in Preseason ACC Poll (r1vals.com; Bierman)

The ACC preseason media poll was posted on social media Wednesday afternoon, with Florida State picked to finish first and Syracuse coming in at a seemingly low number 12 in the newly expanded 17 team conference.

RAPID REACTION

Talk about an expected result concerning a team, in the Orange, that a majority of the (170) media members that voted in the poll (most reside in North Carolina, Virginia, and other southern locales) don't really have a great handle on for a program in upward transition in 2024.

That's despite the well documented NCAAB hoopla orchestrated by Fran Brown and staff the last eight months, building an improved roster with players arriving in the 'Cuse through the transfer portal, signing letters of intent, or staying put joining the FRANchise.
With Brown nabbing linchpins Kyle McCord and Fadil Diggs on both sides of the ball in two of the players he brought to the preseason Kickoff event last week in Charlotte, joined by key returning standouts LeQuint Allen and Justin Barron, it was clear for all those on hand to see that this was a different SU program with high ambitions, not to be grouped among the six lowest teams.

The media poll placed the Orange behind five of its conference opponents this season, Miami (3), NC State (8), Virginia Tech (6), Georgia Tech (9) and Cal (10), making Syracuse Orange odds an interesting proposition, especially if SU can get out to a fast start with four home games in September, including week two versus the Yellow Jackets.

And jeez, if the Jackets and Boston College can each receive a first-place vote, and Cal two first-place votes, which is what occurred in the voting, that's simply another item to motivate this Syracuse team in comparison to peer schools it will meet on the field in Brown's debut season.

ACC Preseason Poll

1. FSU (81 1st place votes)
2. Clemson (55)
3. Miami (17)
4. NC State (8)
5. Louisville
6. Virginia Tech
7. SMU
8. UNC
9. Georgia Tech (1)
10. Cal (2)
11. Duke
12. Syracuse

The Juice Online - Podcast: Brendan Carney predicts 8 wins for Syracuse (; podcast; The Juice on the Cuse)

Former All Big East Syracuse punter Brendan Carney joins The Juice on the Cuse Podcast to discuss the upcoming 2024 season.
Carney is high on Fran Brown as he begins his coaching tenure at Syracuse not only in recruiting, but also the coaches he's surrounded himself with and the outreach to alumni. Carney was previously on a call with Brown and over 100 alumni, and he appreciated the outreach to the former players.

He also thinks Syracuse is in for a good year on the football field.

"I think there's a strong chance to get to 5-0," Carney said. "I don't see any on the schedule outside of NC State and Miami that really scare me. The key will be how healthy we can be in the back half of the season. I definitely see a path to get to 8 wins. That's my prediction."
We also discuss what went down for the Orange at ACC Kickoff, what's in store during preseason camp and discuss some recruiting nuggets.

You can listen to our whole conversation by following “The Juice on the Cuse Podcast,” a Syracuse Orange podcast presented by https:///, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts.

Syracuse football coach Fran Brown to put players in dorms during fall camp (cnycentral.com; Fowler)

First year head coach Fran Brown addressed the media ahead of fall camp on Wednesday and shared they'll be doing something different from years past. All the players will be staying in a dorm on campus together.

Brown said his decision had a lot to do with brotherhood and bringing his team closer together.

"Everyone talks about family, and going through things, camp is one of the toughest times throughout the year," Brown said. "I think going through it with each other in the dorm, walking back and forth, these are memories and bonds formed that'll last a lifetime."

The Camden, New Jersey, native added that this was about doing things 'old school.'

As a follow-up question, Brown was asked how his players responded to this move -- he said a few team leaders actually pushed for the dorms to happen once they heard he was considering pulling the switch. He thanked Syracuse University and the housing department for 'allowing us to become closer as a football team.'

YW2JIMYFONAVXA657TF7XA5NVA.jpg

In this Nov. 10, 2001, file photo, Syracuse defensive end Dwight Freeney (54) bears down on West Virginia quarterback Rasheed Marshall during the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game, in Syracuse, N.Y. (AP Photo/Kevin Rivoli, File)

How Syracuse football star defied odds, scouts to make Pro Football Hall of Fame (PS; AP)

The conventional wisdom heading into the 2002 NFL draft was Syracuse football star Dwight Freeney was too small to play defensive end or hold up against the run.

Critics also contended his trademark spin move would hit a wall against the league’s bigger, stronger offensive linemen.

Former Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian and former coach Tony Dungy saw something completely different on tape — a pre-eminent pass rusher who would be a perfect fit in Dungy’s patented Tampa 2 defense.

Freeney didn’t disappoint. He took full advantage of his speed, his innovative moves and used the motivation of proving those doubters wrong all the way to a 16-year Hall of Fame career. He will be presented by Colts owner Jim Irsay, who is expected to be in a wheelchair after being injured in a fall.

“We all believed Dwight had the ability to be a force in the league,” Polian told The Associated Press. “The spin move was one Dwight executed perfectly and really perfected, so it was fine with us. But his base move was the bull rush, and he was so strong and fast he could run by most slow offensive tackles and guys who weren’t as strong.”

Polian, the Hall of Fame executive, simply followed the plan.

After creating the blueprint that produced four straight AFC titles in Buffalo, Polian spent his early years in Indianapolis putting together an offense around Peyton Manning. By the time Dungy arrived in 2002, he wanted defensive players who could wreak havoc on opponents and the speedy Freeney fit the bill perfectly.

Dungy concurred. So when draft analysts immediately branded the selection as the dreaded reach, the Colts shrugged it off.

Freeney did not.

“I always had to bring my A-plus game,” he said at his retirement ceremony. “The Jonathan Ogdens, the Drew Breeses, the Tom Bradys, those guys made me bring my A-plus game every time. It raised my competitive nature to places I never knew existed.”

The Colts found out how special Freeney would be quickly.

Axe: 24 predictions, questions and storylines to know about SU football (PS; $; Axe)

Happy football, everyone.

Syracuse football’s 2024 training camp kicks off Thursday morning and we’re only 30 days away from the season opener against Ohio at the JMA Wireless Dome.

Here are 24 questions, stats, facts and wagers to ponder about SU football for the upcoming season.

Over/Unders

1. Kyle McCord total touchdowns: 24

McCord was responsible for 24 touchdowns as Ohio State’s quarterback last season, all through the air. He has not scored a rushing TD in his career. McCord will provide plenty of scores for the SU offense, but I’ll take the under here.

2. LeQuint Allen rushing yards: 1,065

Allen had 245 carries for 1,064 yards last season. He has more help in the backfield this year (notably freshman Yasin Willis and transfer Will Nixon) but I’ll still take the over.

3. Oronde Gadsden II receiving yards: 969

Gadsden’s 969 receiving yards in 2022 were the seventh-most in a season in Syracuse history. His 2023 season got cut drastically short due to a foot injury.

I’m taking the under here, but that’s not a knock on Gadsden. That’s more about how the Orange passing game will spread the wealth.

4. Total offensive touchdowns: 37

Syracuse scored 20 rushing TDs and 17 through the air in ‘23.

I’ll take the over here fueled by what should be a much-improved air attack over the MacGyver offense ravaged by injury that SU had to patch together last season.

5. Total defensive turnovers: 22

This stat my surprise you because it surprised me.

Syracuse finished tied for third in the country last year with 22 (!) turnovers gained by its defense.

That’s a tough number to top in consecutive years. I’ll take the under.

6. Marlowe Wax total tackles: 110

Wax has led the Orange in tackles in back-to-back seasons with 91 in 2022 and 110 in 2023.

No doubt he’ll be one of the best linebackers in the ACC again, but I’ll go under here as SU’s revived offense takes pressure off the defense. Wax won’t have to make that many tackles and that’s a good thing.

7. Most interceptions by a player: 2

SU had nine interceptions in 2023 from eight different players.

Will SU’s new defensive look provide more opportunities for an individual to swipe multiple picks?

I’ll take the over with Alijah “Cinco” Clark being the one who does it with four picks.

Syracuse football freshman D-lineman to miss opening days of fall camp (PS; $; Leiker)

Only one notable absence is expected as Syracuse football opens its fall camp Thursday morning.

True freshman defensive lineman KingJoseph Edwards will not be an active participant for the first two days of camp for a violation of team protocols, coach Fran Brown said Wednesday in a press conference.

Brown said the in-house issue is “nothing major, nothing that would cause him to be in any trouble outside” but that some things needed to be taken care of internally.

Edwards was one of the highest-rated signees in Syracuse’s 2024 class as a four-star edge rusher from Georgia and a Top 500 player nationally per the 247Sports Composite.

He is expected to be one of a handful of true freshmen who could see real playing time this fall behind starting transfer Fadil Diggs and others.

Edwards should be the only real absentee as camp opens, as Brown said that any players with lingering injury issues from the spring or summer are on rep counts and should be partial participants.

That includes offensive lineman David Wohlabaugh, who missed spring camp after having a second surgery to fix a broken fibula suffered Week 2 of last season.

“He’s on a rep count,” Brown said. “He’s doing a good job, but he’s on a rep count.”

How Syracuse football star defied odds, scouts to make Pro Football Hall of Fame (PS; AP) (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

Training camp signals the start of football season is on the horizon. The Syracuse Orange start training camp on Thursday, August 1. Before that, Fran Brown held a pre-training press conference on Wednesday, July 31.

Right off the bat, there were a couple of extra cameras situated around the press conference room. They were most likely with the ACC Network filming the upcoming “All Access” series that begins airing on August 12 on the network.

Here are some of the notes and takeaway from Fran Brown’s pre-training camp press conference:

Players staying in dorms for training camp

Talk about a drastic shift in tone for any person in today’s modern age - let alone collegiate athletes.

“We took the car keys,” said Brown. “No one is allowed to drive.”

The football team is staying all together in one of the dorms on campus. They’ll be walking to and from the Ensley Center on South Campus for training camp this summer.

“Camp is one of the toughest times throughout the year.” said Brown. “I think it’s going to allow our players to not have entitlement.”

Brown mentioned that some of the older players on the roster, such as Fadil Diggs and Alijah Clark, overhead that he was considering having the team in a dorm for camp. They advocated for the idea.

It’ll make for a fun and interesting dynamic for Syracuse during Brown’s first full training camp.

The community response

It was already clear from the get go that Brown wanted himself and the rest of program to get involved in the Syracuse and Central New York community. He has done that over and over again since he landed in Syracuse. Now, the new head coach has heard what the community wants to see from the football team.

“They want to see a winning program,” said Brown.

While that probably goes without saying, one of the more popular sentiments that has been vocalized is a common one that many fans have been asking for.

“It’s all about the youth,” said Brown. “They want me to really recruit the area. That’s really important to everyone here, to keep the talent hope.”

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #80, WR Ja’Meer Thomas (TNIAAM; Tomaiuolo)

It’s time to start preparing for the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get to know a lot of new faces to kick off the Fran Brown Era.

Next up is...

Name: Ja’Meer Thomas

Position: Wide receiver

Year: Freshman

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 169 lbs

Hometown: Buffalo, New York

High School: Bennett

2023 stats: Accrued over 1,600 all-purpose yards for the Tigers in his senior season.

2024 projections: Just a freshman, Thomas will join the scout team and use this season to settle in as a collegiate student-athlete. Keep an eye out during camp to see if he gets reps as a returner.

How’d he get here?: Chose the Orange over offers from Akron, Maine, Merrimack and Stony Brook.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Three stars across the board and a top-10 rated player in NY.

Social Media Info:

Instagram: @tizz__2

Twitter: @j_tizz2

Another super cool edit from the SU social media team:

Interesting nugget: Thomas recently became the third Buffalo native ever to win the Connolly Cup, an annual award given to the most outstanding player in Western New York.

Let’s get a look at ya: Highlights from his final year at Bennett

Syracuse Football's Strength In Numbers As A Team (orangefizz.net; Papillo)

You know, sometimes you’re just scrolling Twitter (or X, whichever you prefer) and a post will catch your eye that you would never think about. Well, this tweet from College Football Report about returning roster players for college football programs really had me thinking, how important is strength in returning numbers?

As you can see, the ‘Cuse has 13 returning roster players for the 2024 campaign excluding special teams, which ranks 19th in the country and 5th in the ACC. It may not seem like a big deal, but keeping a core of players together has a large impact on the chemistry of a unit.

Syracuse finds itself in a unique position for 2024 when it comes to returning players. Those who were a part of the Dino Babers regime are coming back to a team completely flipped upside down, with new coaches and some strong new roster players to complement them. The biggest of the bunch of course is Ohio State transfer quarterback Kyle McCord. As a matter of fact, the arrival of McCord was the only reason standout tight end Oronde Gadsden II returned to the program, according to Coach Brown at this week’s ACC Media Day.

But a tight-knit group of strong leaders such as Gadsden and Marlowe Wax could pay dividends in a season where the Orange have so much hype. There might be moments throughout the fall where a first-time head coach in Brown could be overwhelmed by a moment, most likely where most rookie coaches struggle, clock management. Having veterans in the program who know how to play in a packed JMA Wireless Dome to take over in big moments is something you should look for when crafting a squad destined for success.

So it’ll be interesting to see what goes down when the leaders mix with the youth of Syracuse football. Anything can happen, and many SU fans cannot wait for August 31st to see the season kick-off against the Ohio Bobcats.

Syracuse Football Preview (youtube; podcast; ACC Nation)

New phone, who dis? Syracuse has a whole new look, new feel and new objectives when it comes to football. Emily Leiker with Syracuse.com joins Will and Jim with a preview of the 2024 team. There's lots to learn so jump on board for an informative 30 minutes of ACC football

Syracuse Orange Football 2024 Season Win / Loss Preview! #syracuse #acc #ncaaf #collegefootball (youtube; podcast; BeatinThe Bookie)

Syracuse Orange Football 2024 Season Win / Loss Preview!

Syracuse Coach Fran Brown on Official 1st Game as a Head Coach (youtube; video; WakeUpCallDT)

DT speaks w/ Fran Brown, Syracuse Orange Head Football Coach, on what he’s thought of or felt knowing that he’s a few weeks away from standing on the sideline as a Head Coach for the first time…

Can Syracuse Football Live Up to the HIGH EXPECTATIONS? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football has high expectations heading into the 2024 college football season. First year head coach Fran Brown brought in four-star transfer quarterback Kyle McCord from Ohio State and retained stars like Oronde Gadsden and LeQuint Allen. The Cuse also won't have to face Florida State or Clemson on its schedule. Jackson Holzer wonders if the Cuse can live up to the hype on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.0:00- The Hype11:11- Keys to Success18:42- Living up to Expectations

David Hale "The 315" 7-31-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

David Hale, ACC reporter for ESPN, joins Brian Higgins to discuss the latest legal happenings in the conference and beyond as well as preview the on-field product that the ACC will put on the football field.

Syracuse vs West Virginia | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E6 (youtube; simulation; Playbook Gamer)

Syracuse vs West Virginia | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E6

Heritage 4-Star Athlete Demetres Samuel Jr. Flips Commitment from Syracuse to University of Florida - Space Coast Daily (spacecoastdaily.com; Rodriguez)

Heritage Panthers four-star athlete Demetres Samuel Jr. flipped his commitment from Syracuse to the University of Florida on Wednesday.

“UF has been a dream school for me since I was a jit so making this move was definitely a dream come true, feels like I’m playing in my own backyard but the coaching staff and the energy that they bring it’s definitely special,” said Samuel Jr. when speaking with Space Coast Daily Sports Editor Juan Rodriguez.

Samuel Jr. committed to Syracuse back in April. According to On3.com, he will also be reclassifying to the class of 2025.

The Panthers standout ATH received nearly 20 offers and chose the University of Florida over Minnesota, Syracuse, and Nebraska.

Samuel Jr. can do it all. Last season he saw action on offense, defense, and special teams. In 2023 he concluded his sophomore campaign with 5 interceptions and 440 purpose yards.

He is ranked among the Top 80 Recruits in his class and is the fourth-ranked ATH according to On3.

Former Blue Jay Dave Hegland reflects on 20 years at Syracuse (jamestownsun.com; O'Neill)

Over the last 20 years, Syracuse University track and field associate head coach Dave Hegland has built a strong legacy that includes sending two athletes to the Olympics.

The former Jamestown High School runner has coached Flings Owusu-Agyapong, who ran for Ghana in the 2012 London Olympics, and Freddie Crittenden III, who is getting set to compete in the 2024 Paris Olympics for the U.S. in the 110-meter hurdles.

Hegland said it means a lot to him to see Crittenden make the world’s stage because he knows how hard he has worked for this opportunity. He said this is the 12th year that Crittenden has attempted to make a U.S. roster for either the Olympics or the World Championships.

“I’m very happy for him,” Hegland said. “Freddie’s had a long road in the sport. I’ve known him since his senior year of high school when we started recruiting him. … To me, it’s a story of perseverance and sticking with it and believing in himself and continuing to pour into the sport. More than anything, I’m just happy for him because I know how hard this road has been for him.”

Hegland said his current athletes are having a lot of the same experiences on and off the track as Crittenden so seeing his success helps them see what is possible.

While he was at Jamestown High School, Hegland also wrestled, which he said makes him enjoy watching that event during the Olympics.

“I like watching the track and field stuff obviously and know a lot of those storylines and how they’ve played out here,” Hegland said. “ … That makes it fun to watch and certain athletes that I’m rooting for and coaches that I’m rooting for. ... I was a wrestler in high school in Jamestown and have really loved the sport of wrestling for a long time. I'm watching that. I'm following that pretty closely as well. I'm probably just as interested in watching that stuff as I am watching the track stuff."

ACC News

ACC Football 2024: Ranking the toughest and easiest schedules (youtube; podcast; 99.9 The Fan)

Paul Ihander & Graham Hill break down the toughest and easiest paths for ACC football teams this season. Paul & Graham discuss which ACC teams face the biggest challenges and which have a smoother ride to success.

Ranking each ACC football team by the head coaches’ all-time records (saturdayblitz.com; Fariss)

The ACC is going to look very different in 2024 than it has in a long time. As Stanford, California, and SMU join the conference, there will be a reshuffling of standings.

Not to mention, Fran Brown is freshly on the scene in Syracuse as the football team’s head coach.

Since three of the conference members have yet to play a game as a part of the ACC, take a look at how the head coaches stack up according to their career records:

17 Fran Brown 0-0

It is only up from here for Fran Brown as he heads into his first season with the Syracuse Orange and his first-ever season as a head coach.

16 Troy Taylor 3-9

In his first season as a head coach, Troy Taylor led the Stanford Cardinal to an abysmal 3-9 season.

Taylor and the Cardinal have won just 25 percent of their games together.

15 Tony Elliott 6-16

Tony Elliott has been a head coach for two years now and has won just three games in each of those seasons.

Over a two-year head coaching career, Elliott has gone 6-16 overall, and winning percentage of just 27.3 percent.

14 Brent Pry 10-14

Similarly to Elliott, Brent Pry has been a head coach for just two seasons. However, unlike Elliott, Pry has won a total of 10 games.

Over two seasons, Pry has gone 10-14 for a win rate of 41.7 percent.

13 Justin Wilcox 36-43

Justin Wilcox is heading into this eighth season as the head coach of the California Golden Bears, the only team he has ever been a head coach for.

Over seven years, Wilcox and Cal have won 45.65 percent of their games together for a 36-43 overall record.

12 Mario Cristobal 74-73

The former Oregon Ducks head coach, Mario Cristobal has had an impressively lengthy head coaching career already.

However, Cristobal has barely managed to win more than 50 percent of his games with a 74-73 career head coaching record.

11 Dave Carson (Clawson) 95-93

Winning just 2 percentage points more than Cristobal, Wake Forest's Dave Carson has gone 95-93 as a head coach.

Carson's overall record equates to a minimal 50.5 percent winning rate.

Projecting 2024-25 ACC Payouts (RX; HM)

Projecting 2024-25 ACC Payouts

We've seen all kinds of revenue projections from the Big Ten, SEC, and Big XII, but to be honest, we haven't seen that from the ACC. Oh, sure, there are projections out there, but they don't come from the ACC office, they come from people who, quite frankly, wish the ACC ill-will. So, I thought it might be a good time to take the latest data available and do my own ACC revenue projection...

Base TV Contract Revenue

The ACC is still working off a media rights contract which was signed in 2010 and began in 2012. It has been modified (e.g. an extra $2.2M each for adding Notre Dame and signing the Grant of Rights) and extended (twice!) but it won't go on the "open market" until at least 2036.
Here's my table of base T1 payments per school, by year, along with stated total media payouts (form 990) and an estimate for ACCN revenue (for more on that, see below):

seasonfm990
TV $M
original
T1 $M
GoR +
ND $M
est $M
ACCN
Proj'd
TV $M
2013-1414$12.8$1.2
2014-1515.5$13.4$2.1
2015-1616$14.0$2.0
2016-1716.8$14.6$2.2
2017-1819.7$15.3$2.2$2.2
2018-1920.6$16.0$2.2$2.5
2019-2023.7$16.7$2.2$4.8
2020-2128.3$17.4$2.2$8.7
2021-2231.6$18.2$2.2$11.2
2022-2334.4$19.1$2.2$13.2
2023-24$19.9$2.2$12.4$34.5
seasonfm990
TV $M
original
T1 $M
GoR +
ND $M
est $M
ACCN
Proj'd
TV $M
2024-25$20.8$2.2$13.8$36.8
2025-26$21.7$2.2$15.1$39.0
2026-27$22.7$2.2$16.4$41.3
2027-28$23.7$2.2$16.9$42.8
2028-29$24.8$2.2$16.9$43.9
2029-30$25.9$2.2$16.9$45.0
2030-31$27.1$2.2$16.9$46.2
2031-32$28.3$2.2$16.9$47.4
2032-33$29.6$2.2$16.9$48.7
2033-34$30.9$2.2$16.9$50.0
2034-35$32.3$2.2$16.9$51.4
2035-36$33.8$2.2$16.9$52.8

This is essentially a straightforward extrapolation of current trends in T1 and ACCN payments, with no attempt to show future increases other than the 4.5% T1 contract escalator mentioned by Florida State in their lawsuit.

A Path to $85M+ for Clemson and FSU (RX; HM)

A Path to $85M+ for Clemson and FSU

After publishing my revenue projections for the ACC yesterday, I was asked almost immediately "why would Clemson or FSU want to leave"? After all, the ACC projects to pay out over $60M by 2036, hitting $50M+ in just a couple of years! My answer: because the SEC projects to pay South Carolina and Florida $80M+, and the Tigers and Seminoles are tired of being paid less than their weaker in-state rivals.

If it's true what they say that neither the Big Ten nor the SEC are interested in adding the two ACC heavyweights at this time, what can they do to keep up, financially? $60M is great, but it's still at least $20M short. The Big XII projects to be well behind even the ACC, so that's no help. What can the ACC, Clemson, and FSU do?
I'm here to tell you there is a path, and Commissioner Phillips has been working behind the scenes to make it happen: ACC payout + "Success Initiative". No, there isn't enough money for every ACC school to make SEC-like money, but a couple of teams certainly can! In fact, if the Tigers made another National Championship run and thus earned the maximum incentive money (Phillips estimated it's around $25M), that puts their total ACC payout between $80M and $85M - definitely in the same ballpark as the SEC!
The downside, of course, is that the Tigers and Seminoles must continue to earn this money - only the base payout, which grows from $45M to $60M, would be guaranteed. Bean counters don't like revenue uncertainty.
Yet there's something about prize money that brings out the best in competitors. Knowing that the money is there if you "just win, Baby" is a strong motivation!

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Aug 1st (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Aug 1st

First, a few notes & observations I meant to discuss earlier, but forgot...

Need for a Hype Man

From 247Sports: Facing identity crisis, frustrated ACC members point the finger at TV coverage — or lack of it
Why doesn't the ACC have a hype man like Paul Finebaum for the SEC? (OK, not JUST like him!)
Actually, there's a perfect hype man for the ACC: Danny Kannel. I realize ESPN let him go, but if there's any way the ACC can get him, they need to do it!
_____

Not Losing the Big Dogs Yet

You probably know this by now, but just in case... from SaturdayBlitz: Clemson and FSU are sticking around for at least one more season in the ACC

It was reported on Monday, July 22 that the Clemson Tigers and FSU Seminoles would not notify the ACC of their intentions to leave the conference by the 2025-26 season deadline.
Whether they're here to stay for awhile or this is just an adjustment in their travel plans remains to be seen.
_____

New NCAA Rules for 2024 and Beyond

From CBS Sports: House v. NCAA agreement details roster sizes, NIL transparency as college leaders set blueprint for future, here are some of the changes coming:
An agreement to share up to 22% of total revenues to future athletes.

• Schools will also be allowed to pay players directly for their NIL, however doing so will apply toward the 22% revenue cap.
  • Outside parties will continue to be allowed to strike separate NIL deals with players.
Former athletes will be paid $2.78 billion in back payments over the next 10 years.
  • The NCAA is on the hook for 40%
  • The Power Five conferences (ACC, B1G, Pac-12, SEC and XII) will pay 24%.
  • The Group of Five will pay 10%.
  • The FCS is on the hook for 14%
  • Non-football conferences in Division I will pay 12%
Establishment of a clearinghouse to help govern name, image and likeness deals
Unlimited scholarships in all sports

• Football rosters will be limited to 105 players, resulting in as many as 20 additional scholarships beyond the current scholarship restrictions (85)
  • baseball teams will be able to provide as many as 34 scholarships to players
ACC QB Fires SHOT at FSU Football but TRUTH Backfires! (youtube;podcast; Double Fries)

Kyron Drones fired a shot at the Seminoles and Doak Campbell Stadium today. We're going to talk about it and why it's rather telling now!

Other

Micron has started hiring in Central NY: See latest list of jobs and pay scales (PS; $; Coin)

Micron Technology says it has already hired 17 people for its planned semiconductor manufacturing complex in the town of Clay.

“These hires include construction and facilities roles that are important to the early-stage development of a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility,” the company said in a statement. “We have a mix of local, transplant, and internal team member hires.”

Micron said it is advertising for 25 more jobs that would be based in Clay. Micron plans to build up to four massive fabrication plants, or fabs, in Clay to produce millions of computer memory chips for the global market.

Construction on the first fab is expected to start in the spring of 2025. That fab is scheduled to open in 2028.

The highest-paid position advertised now on Micron’s careers website is director of construction procurement, which has a pay range of $143,000 to $250,000. The lowest-paid, construction document comptroller, would pay $57,000 to $96,000.

New York law requires companies to provide pay ranges for any job based in the state.

All Micron jobs posted so far require bachelor’s degrees or equivalent experience. Most require three to 10 years of experience in relevant fields and pay six figures at the top end of the salary range.

Micron said where a new hire falls in the position’s salary range depends upon “work location and additional job-related factors, including knowledge, skills, experience, tenure and relevant education or training.”

Micron did not specify which positions it has already filled, but many jobs advertised in April are no longer on the company’s careers website. Those include several construction-related and engineering positions.

Micron plans to build a massive manufacturing plant in Clay to produce leading-edge semiconductors used in phones, cars and military jets. Micron has said it will open two fabs by 2029 that would employ a total of about 4,500 people. By 2041, the company says, it plans to open two more fabs employing another 4,500.

In filings with Onondaga County, Micron said that the fab complex in its first year would employ about 1,300 people at an average salary of $98,000.

BWIBFLW5PRBZRA3MHFTHPHJFDQ.JPG

The sun silhouettes the Galaxi rollercoaster at Sylvan Beach amusement park Friday, July 26, 2024, in Sylvan Beach, N.Y. (Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com) Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Sylvan Beach: Central New York’s nostalgia-fueled answer to Coney Island (photos) (PS; Schild)

Oneida Lake, the largest lake completely with in the boundaries of New York State, holds a treasure on its eastern shore.

Sylvan Beach and its amusement park blossomed into an early tourist destination initially supported by the NYS canal system, including the Erie Canal and Oneida Lake Canal.

In the late 1880s, the area added hotels and two amusements parks that drew thousands of vacationers. Trains and trolleys drew even more vacationers to the area in the early 1900s.

At present, Sylvan Beach Amusement Park is supported by a small but vibrant downtown, beach front restaurants, bars, and boater access via the NYS Barge Canal. The recent addition of a waterfront casino adds to the appeal.

If you go:

• Sylvan Beach is about a 40-minute drive from Syracuse or Utica.
  • Parking is $2 per hour or $10 for the day, no cash
  • Ride tickets are $2 each or $34.95 for an unlimited ride band. Rides are between 3 and 5 tickets
  • Carello’s Arcade is a separate business from the amusement park.
  • Playland arcade is coin-operated (bring quarters or cash to exchange)

The Doobie Brothers playing three iconic venues across NY: When, where, tickets (PS; Kemeny)

The Doobie Brothers are back on the road with their 2024 tour, which kicked off on June 15 in Seattle, Washington. The tour will feature three stops across New York State before wrapping up on October 16 in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.

Their New York performances include Madison Square Garden in NYC on August 7, the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs on August 13 and the Upstate Medical Arena at The Oncenter War Memorial in Syracuse on September 27.

Special guest Steve Winwood will open for the first two dates, while no opening act has been announced for the Syracuse date.

The Doobie Brothers are once again touring with founding members Michael McDonald, Tom Johnston, Pat Simmons and John McFee. McDonald reunited with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group for a 50th anniversary tour in 2021, playing hits like “What a Fool Believes,” “China Grove,” “Listen to the Music,” “Takin’ It to the Streets” and “Black Water.”

“A lot of people will be like, ‘Oh god you want to be out, die on the road?’ Well, why not? It’s as good as going anywhere else,” Simmons told syracuse.com with a laugh in 2022.