Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
U2Dt.gif

Welcome to Be an Angel Day!

Angels are thought of as being supernatural spirits or beings that can protect humans. On Be an Angel Day, humans play the role of protector or helper for fellow humans. The day was founded by Reverend Jayne Howard Feldman as a day to do small acts of service for someone and be a blessing in their life. It is a day to selflessly do random acts of kindness and to help others in need.

SU News

The making of Fran Brown: Family, tough love and loss shaped a diamond in the rough (PS; $; Leiker)

Fran Brown’s eyes water recalling the day he elected to take his mom off life support.

He called his family around her bed inside a Philadelphia hospital two weeks after New Year’s Day in 2016.

Brown, now Syracuse football’s head coach, was just a young assistant climbing the ranks at Temple.

As his mom’s oldest child, though, it was Brown’s turn to hold his big family together that day.

Brown brought them in tight, grabbed his mother’s hand and said the words he felt she needed to hear before letting go.

“I’m gonna keep us together,” Brown told her.

Marla Brown-Johnson passed away seconds later, Brown says. His voice cracks. A plaque with a photo of his mother sits over his left shoulder on the living room mantel as he finishes the story inside his New Jersey home.

It is a Saturday in mid-July, and Brown is keeping his promise.

Brown still owns a house 20 miles east of the urban streets of Camden, New Jersey, where he grew up playing pickup football in the park and on the streets, raced his mom and cruised with friends.

The house has been a base for Brown’s family since 2018, when he bought it in his second year as associate head coach and cornerbacks coach at Baylor.

It sits on the edge of a neighborhood populated by pro athletes and bordering a wildlife refuge, where every house has a backyard and a long driveway. It’s a far cry from the old brick row houses in which Brown grew up.

Brown summoned his extended family here to spend time together on one of his final weekends before returning to Syracuse for his first season.

From injury to impact: Chase Simmons' rise in Syracuse’s defense (247sports.com; Racine)

Syracuse's defensive line is exemplifying the "T" in Head Coach Fran Brown's D.A.R.T. operation to transform Syracuse football. The "T" in D.A.R.T. stands for Tough. With the season right around the corner, the defensive line is preparing to put pressure on all opposing quarterbacks.

Edge Coach Nick Williams is impressed with how the defensive line is coming along, but he is even more impressed with Redshirt Junior Chase Simmons.

"He's a tough guy, he's just so tough. He just fights and fights because he's had a lot of injuries, but I love Chase and his resilience," said Coach Williams.

Simmons finally got into the defensive rotation after his second season with the Orange, after dealing with a knee injury on top of other injuries, but his love for the game hasn't slowed him down one bit. It has actually motivated him to go harder.

"My why is about my injuries and, you know, going through those injuries and that adversity, going through a little depression with it, being real down on myself—it has allowed me to find even more passion for the game," said Simmons.

While he continues to refine his techniques on the line, the moment he interacted with Coach Williams, he knew he could help him grow.

"As soon as he came in, he knew I was a physical guy. He wanted me to work on my bend. Getting low and bending was something I was kinda iffy on, but he built my confidence up and just allowed me to forget about it and play ball," said Simmons.

While Simmons has been working in training camp to secure a spot on the starting defensive line, his hard work has not gone unnoticed.

"He will throw his body around; he doesn't care about his body. He plays the game the way it's supposed to be played, and I love watching him," said Coach Williams.

Putting a guy with this type of aggression on the line is only going to help the Orange defense excel, but being tough is not always effortless for others.

"I think a lot of the guys admire that about Chase—I know I do. I wasn't half as tough as him when I was playing football," said Coach Williams.

Simmons knows that he made the right choice in coming to Syracuse and is glad that even with Coach Williams being new to the staff, it only gave him the ability to fine-tune details on his technique and be held accountable when he has errors.

Fizz Five 8/21: Football Pre-Season Predictions, Possible Breakout Stars & Peter Majstorovic Signs (orangefizz.net; podcast; Burstein)

Nico Horning and Alex Burstein jump on this week’s edition of the Fizz Five podcast.

1. National Media Projections for Syracuse (1:18)
2. Ohio Game Predictions (7:30)
3. Possible Breakout Stars for Football (12:17)
4. Could College GameDay come to Syracuse? (17:08)
5. Peter Majstorovic Signs with Syracuse Basketball (21:34)

Austin Bailey 'thankful' for Syracuse offer (247sports.com $; McAllister)

Class of 2025 Haddonfield (NJ) Paul VI defensive back Austin Bailey attended camps this summer and has sent out his film to various coaching staffs. He only had one offer entering August, from Sacred Heart. That changed earlier this week when Syracuse extended a scholarship opportunity.

"I've been talking to the coaches for the past couple of days and they were really trying to get to know me and my family," Bailey said. "Then in terms of the offer, the coaches said they loved my film and they felt I was a person who could be a part of the culture they were building. So they wanted to give me an offer.

Syracuse Football: Why the Orange will finish 7-5 in 2024 (TNIAAM; Tomiauolo)

Monday August 19: 5-7 Kevin

Tuesday August 20: 6-6 Steve

Wednesday August 21: 7-5 Max

Thursday August 22: 8-4 Dom

Friday August 23: 9-3 Carson

Saturday August 24th: 10-2 Mike

Sunday August 25th: CFP Bound- a special guest

**********************************************************************************************

The arrival of head coach Fran Brown marks a new era for SU football. His first season is a big success and quite the rollercoaster for Orange fans. Buckle up for today’s record prediction of 7-5.

Ohio Bobcats- Win (1-0, 0-0)

Brown’s campaign begins on a high note in front of a packed Dome crowd. Kyle McCord throws three touchdown passes, and the Orange defense easily contains Ohio’s inexperienced offensive attack.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - Win (2-0, 1-0)

The first real test of the year. Most of us have nightmares of GT quarterback Haynes King running all over the Syracuse D like he did last year. However, SU’s new head coach shares a similar experience after the QB ran for two touchdowns against his Georgia Bulldogs a season ago. The Orange clamp up their defensive efforts while McCord takes advantage of a suspect Tech defense for a narrow win.

Stanford Cardinal- Win (3-0, 2-0)

Following a week off, the Orange battle the Trees on a Friday night, a nationally televised game under the Dome lights. Traveling cross-country in college athletics is a huge disadvantage, one that will bite Syracuse later on. The Cardinal are still in rebuild mode, and a few miscues catapult the Orange to a 3-0 start.

Holy Cross Crusaders- Win (4-0, 2-0)

This is the cherry on top to an undefeated start at home. LeQuint Allen and Yasin Willis run all over the Crusaders, and we get to see the second and third-stringers shine in the second half. Win-win. The Orange are flying high as they head on the road.

UNLV Rebels- Loss (4-1, 2-0)

Now, here’s where it gets tough. A Friday night in Vegas usually calls for a promising start followed by an epic collapse. It’ll be no different for the Orange, who blow a two-touchdown lead to the Runnin’ Rebels for their first loss. UNLV’s star receiver, Ricky White, catches a go-ahead TD from Holy Cross transfer Matthew Sluka, and the Orange exit Sin City as quickly as possible.

NC State Wolfpack- Loss (4-2, 2-1)

Syracuse’s most challenging test on the road goes as predicted: an emphatic loss to the Wolfpack. QB Grayson McCall puts together a career day with 400+ passing yards and RB Jordan Waters runs wild against an absent Orange defense. A booming student section makes life miserable for McCord and company, who drop their second straight game.

Pittsburgh Panthers- Loss (4-3, 2-2)

I shudder just looking at this Thursday night, nationally televised game in the Steel City. Even though the Panthers aren’t projected very highly in the ACC, they’ll take advantage of numerous SU blunders to steal one. Turnovers and penalties will plague the Orange offense, and history repeats itself once again as Syracuse loses its 11th straight in Pittsburgh.

Quarterbacking the defense: Marlowe Wax leading Syracuse’s defensive transition (247sports.com; Wainscott)

With the 2024 season on the horizon, veteran linebacker Marlowe Wax is not just adapting to defensive change—he's leading it. Wax has embraced the shift under first-year co-defensive coordinators Elijah Robinson and Robert Wright, transitioning so seamlessly that he's become the driving force behind the new-look Orange defense. Entering his final year of eligibility, Wax has taken on the role of mentor, vocal leader, and standard-bearer, guiding his teammates through this new era of Syracuse football.

Wax's journey to becoming the anchor of Syracuse's defense has been marked by steady improvement and an increasing level of recognition. Last season, Wax was named to the All-ACC Second Team after racking up 110 tackles—third most in the conference—along with four sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss or no gain, ranking him among the top linebackers in the ACC. His performance earned him a spot on the preseason All-ACC team this year, one of only two Syracuse players to receive the honor, alongside Oronde Gadsden.

Now, as the 2024 season looms, Wax's role is more critical than ever. Syracuse's defense is transitioning to a 4-2-5 scheme, which emphasizes defending the middle of the field and forcing plays outside to the exterior players. This new system demands versatility and adaptability—traits that Wax has in spades. In this defense, the linebackers and safeties work from the inside out, aiming to spill plays to the perimeter where athletes have the leverage advantage. Linebackers coach Robert Wright says Marlowe Wax and his fellow linebackers play a critical leadership role in Syracuse's new defensive scheme.

"I tell them [the veteran linebackers] that they're the quarterbacks of the defense. So, a lot of things that we run, there's a bunch of different checks that we have to make, different formations, different sets, like splits, adjustments, alignments, things like that. They're really the ones who get that across to the entire defense and make sure everybody's on the same page. It's not an easy defense. It's complex. There's a lot of nuanced things to it," Wright said.

Wax's commitment to his leadership role is clear in how he's embraced the challenges of the new defensive scheme. Despite the added layers of complexity, Coach Wright notes that Wax has taken on the challenge with enthusiasm, seeing it as preparation for the next level.

"Just from talking with Marlowe, I can tell that there's a lot more layers to this defense this year, and that's put a little bit of stress on him. But it's the kind of stress that he's really dove into. A lot of the things that we do are preparing him for the next level," Wright said.

Indeed, Wax's decision to return to Syracuse rather than declare for the NFL speaks to his commitment to both his team and his personal growth. The new defensive system may put additional stress on him, but it's the kind of stress that Wax welcomes, understanding that it will only make him a more complete player.

The recognition of Wax's talents extends beyond the Syracuse campus. He was recently named to the watch list for the Butkus Award, which honors the nation's top linebacker, marking the second consecutive year he has received this recognition. This honor, coupled with his preseason All-ACC selection, showcases his status as one of the premier defensive players in college football.

SU’s d-line features new formation, key transfers ahead of 2024 season (DO; Andrews)

In his debut season, Syracuse head coach Fran Brown has flooded his squad with players and coaches with Southeastern Conference experience. Edge rusher Fadil Diggs is one of them. The Texas A&M transfer shined in the country’s best conference before joining SU. Yet, even in the Atlantic Coast Conference, Diggs was thrust back into an SEC-level environment.

Syracuse edge coach Nick Williams, who previously coached Diggs for two years at A&M, said practices with the Orange are tougher than any he’s seen in his career. According to Williams, Diggs shares the same sentiment.

“We get after it,” Williams said during a press conference Tuesday afternoon. “(Diggs) had a little curve he had to get over, but he got over it quickly.”

Brown’s intense culture has spread throughout the roster, especially within the defensive line. Williams says there’s been fierce daily competition among interior and exterior linemen. He doesn’t even feel there’s a true depth chart forming, crediting the depth of SU’s defensive front and his confidence in players both new and old.

“There’s really no starters or second team or third team,” Williams said. “We’re just one defensive line, one unit.”

Here’s what to know about Syracuse’s defensive-line group ahead of the 2024 season:

4-man front

The 3-3-5 is no more. Under new defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson, the Orange will sport a 4-2-5 defensive set, switching from Tony White and Rocky Long’s formation.

The 4-2-5 defense contains four defensive linemen, two linebackers and five defensive backs. With the new alignment, Syracuse can send more pass rushers at opponents while having increased options to blitz its inside linebackers and safeties.

But Williams said no matter the defensive set, it’s crucial for his linemen to win one-on-one battles. It’s all about “the phone booth,” which Williams uses to describe matchups in the trenches. Strength and physicality are what Syracuse’s staff has desired to bring across the board, nowhere more apparent than in the offensive and defensive line.

With a four-man front, there will be an even greater need to consistently rush the passer than in the past. The Orange held a middling sack total in the ACC last year with 29 (eighth out of 14 schools). They’ve beefed up the defensive line by targeting larger players to fit their system so they can provide space for edges Diggs and Denis Jaquez Jr. to get sacks.

“It was a premium that we went and got big guys, big d-linemen who can hold the point and strike blockers with intensity,” Williams said.

Transfer takeover

Brown has emphasized the need for recruiting big guys since his December 2023 introductory press conference. The need grew stronger once former defensive lineman Caleb Okechukwu declared for the NFL Draft. But Brown sufficiently filled Okechukwu’s void in the transfer portal this offseason, particularly with Diggs and Dion Wilson Jr.

Diggs will instantly feature as Syracuse’s premier edge rusher. The 6-foot-5 senior spent his last four years with Texas A&M, starting 20 games across his final two seasons. In 2023, Diggs racked up 11 tackles for loss — which ranked second on the Aggies — and tallied four sacks.

The former four-star recruit from Camden, New Jersey, transferred to SU in December 2023. Brown, also a Camden native, pinpointed Diggs as a must-have early in the portal season. So far, he’s reaped the benefits.

Williams said Tuesday that he’s stood out as a much-needed veteran presence. He often uses Diggs as an example during drills or live repetition, saying that the edge rusher does just about everything correctly. Still, Williams wants to push Diggs to improve his shape, run to the ball and “think like a coach” to sharpen his football IQ. But for now, he’s set to pay dividends for SU in the trenches.

“He’s been dominant since he was young,” Brown said of Diggs in an Aug. 13 press conference. “He demands respect the right way, and he also earns everything he gets.”

While Diggs is a force on the edge, Wilson Jr. provides stability inside. The 6-foot-5, 296-pound interior defensive lineman transferred to Syracuse from New Mexico State. He appeared in 14 games last year, four of which were starts, recording two sacks, 31 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss. His pass rush grade by Pro Football Focus in 2023 sat at an above average 64.6, though his run defense grade was a below average 59.5.

Following a training camp practice on Aug. 13, Wilson Jr. said he feels primed for a breakout year as a senior. He hasn’t received consistent playing time over his first four seasons of college football. Wilson Jr. played at Arizona from 2020-22, yet never garnered a start. He could have transferred to another Power Four school, but he valued seeing the field.

Fran Brown is focused on Syracuse football continuing to get closer, mental toughness (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football kicks off its 2024 season under first-year head coach Fran Brown in 10 days, and excitement keeps on building for the Orange's prospects in the upcoming term.

Regardless of what the national and Atlantic Coast Conference pundits think, as far as projecting how many wins the 'Cuse will have in 2024, the current buzz surrounding the Syracuse football program hasn't been felt on the Hill and among the team's fan base in many years, from my perspective.

Brown and his top-flight staff continue to work with the team amid the Orange's preseason camp, and the 'Cuse will officially commence its 2024 campaign on Saturday, Aug. 31, when Syracuse football will host Ohio in an non-conference encounter at the JMA Wireless Dome.

While some ACC commentators, ahead of this upcoming season, view the Orange as a middle-of-the-pack squad in the league's pecking order, make no mistake about it. This 2024 'Cuse roster is filled with talent at all its position groups, and I believe that the Orange has more depth across the board than in other recent terms.

As preseason camp soon winds down for Syracuse football, Fran Brown has some things he's focused on at this juncture.

Earlier this week, Brown discussed where the 'Cuse is and what he wants to improve upon. Some of his thoughts were relayed in a piece by top writer Chance Chamberlain of SyracuseOn247.

For this week of preseason camp, and as the Orange gets set next week to prepare for its opening game of the 2024 campaign, Brown says that he's focused on the Syracuse football program continuing "to get closer" and also to "get mentally tougher."

This off-season, like its peers around the country, the 'Cuse saw a sizable makeover of its roster. Numerous players on both sides of the field returned for 2024, while the Orange also brought in a talented cadre of high school seniors and college transfers.

Additionally, beyond Brown replacing Dino Babers as the team's head coach, Syracuse football has new coordinators, a bunch of new assistant coaches, and new schemes to perfect.

Ross Douglas, who most recently was with the NFL's New England Patriots before joining the Orange as its passing-game coordinator and wide receivers coach, said: "We've got to fall in love with the process and fall in love with doing it right," according to Chamberlain's story.

Douglas added, "We stay in the moment and stay present because every day we can't count days when we have to make them count."

Syracuse Football: 2025 Commit Named to 247 Sports 'Freak' List (itlh; Nederveld)

The Syracuse football 2025 recruiting class is a much-needed improvement over years past. While the lack of a four-star commit is disappointing, the class is still loaded with talent.

One of the top players in the Orange's 2025 class is three-star linebacker Antoine Deslauriers, who previously blew up on social media for his outstanding physique. The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Deslauriers is a standout at the Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School in Rabun Gap, Ga.

Deslauriers has put himself back in the national spotlight after being featured this week on the 247Sports Freaks List for the class of 2025. Coincidentally, he was the 44th player of 50 listed by Andrew Ivins, the director of scouting for 247Sports.

College Football Preview 2024: Syracuse Orange win projections, strengths and weaknesses, quarterback spotlight and more (pff.com; Wasserman & Chadwick)
Syracuse may have reached its second consecutive bowl game last year, but the program still finished with a 6-7 record. It marked the Orange's fourth losing season in the last five years, prompting the decision to fire head coach Dino Babers after eight seasons.

Georgia defensive backs coach and ace recruiter Fran Brown was hired in November to take over. His recruiting skills made an immediate impact, as the Orange secured their first top-40 class since 2001. Additionally, Syracuse brought in a strong transfer portal class, highlighted by former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord. Now, Brown must demonstrate that he’s more than just a top recruiter by translating this influx of talent into on-field success.

Biggest Strength: Secondary

Syracuse ranked 31st among FBS teams in team coverage grade last year (87.4) and returns several key contributors from that unit. Justin Barron and Alijah Clark are back at safety, both ranking among the ACC's top three highest-graded players at the position last season. Jayden Bellamy and Greg Delaine return at cornerback, each posting 70.0-plus grades on at least 200 snaps. Additionally, Duce Chestnut returns after a one-year stint at LSU. While he played only four games last season, his 81.4 grade across 2021 and 2022 ranked fourth among ACC cornerbacks.

Biggest Weakness: Can Kyle McCord survive behind this offensive line?

While Syracuse returns four starters from last year’s offensive line, none earned a PFF grade above 60.0. As a unit, the front five ranked 110th in the country, which could pose a significant problem, given transfer quarterback Kyle McCord's lack of mobility and struggles under pressure.

2023 Team Overview

Offense

EPA per playYards per playSuccessful play rateExplosive run play rateExplosive pass play rate
-0.0745.231.7%15.2%12.0%
98thT-104th110th72nd108th

Defense

EPA allowed per playYards allowed per playSuccessful play rate allowedExplosive run rate allowedExplosive pass rate allowed
-0.0605.433.9%11.5%12.4%
40th49th53rd14th29th

Three Notable Transfer Portal Additions

• QB Kyle McCord (Ohio State): 76.4 PFF Grade
  • EDGE Fadil Diggs (Texas A&M): 66.6 PFF Grade
  • CB Duce Chestnut (LSU): 57.6 PFF Grade

Three Notable Transfer Portal Losses

• DI Kevon Darton (Arizona): 74.3 PFF Grade
  • EDGE Stefon Thompson (Nebraska): 77.0 PFF Grade
  • WR Damien Alford (Utah): 65.5 PFF Grade

Quarterback Spotlight: Kyle McCord

2023 Grade: 76.4
Key Stat: 90.0 clean-pocket passing grade (19th-best in Power Five), 33.5 pressured-passing grade (eighth-worst in Power Five)

https://www.localsyr.com/orange-nation/syracuse-football-gets-set-to-close-out-preseason-camp/ (localsyr.com; video; Sacco)

In 10 days the Fran Brown era begins at Syracuse, as SU opens the season on August 31st at home against Ohio.

Wednesday, eight players were named to the Reese’s Senior Bowl Watch list. Kyle McCord, Marlowe Wax, Alijah Clark, Oronde Gadsden II, Justin Barron, Fadil Diggs, Dion Wilson, Jr., & Savion Washington were added to the watch list.

Syracuse will hold its final preseason practice open to the media on Friday.

The Juice Online - Tight Ends — 2024 Syracuse Football preview (r1vals.com; Stechschulte)

Oronde Gadsden II’s return to health is one of the greatest sources of optimism for Syracuse coming into this season. Gadsden was named a preseason All-American by several outlets prior to last season after posting 61 receptions for 969 yards and a half dozen scores in 2022. Unfortunately, he ended up taking a medical redshirt last year after suffering a season-ending injury on the first offensive play of the second game. Gadsden has bulked up to a more traditional tight end size, so he may be more of a fully-rounded tight end than a tall wide receiver lining up offset from the line. ACC media expect a big return from Gadsden, as well, naming him to the Preseason All-ACC Team.

While Gadsden is the headliner of an experienced group, Dan Villari is behind him, but likely to the field at the same time as him. A converted quarterback, Villari became an extremely useful player after Garrett Shrader’s late-season injury last year, stepping into a hybrid quarterback-running back role. Villari set an Orange record by completing all 14 of his pass attempts against Georgia Tech, but also ran for 154 yards and a score against Pittsburgh in that unique role. In addition, Villari finished the season with 20 receptions and three touchdowns as a tight end. While likely to be a smaller part of the offense this season, Villari offers flexibility and a hard-nosed playing style.

Maximilian Mang is the biggest tight end on the roster, befitting his role as a blocker and special teamer more than a receiver. The native of Germany has appeared in all 49 games of his career at SU, including starting ten times, but has just eight receptions. Mang did put his first score in the books last year, pulling in a touchdown pass against Pittsburgh last season.

Incoming freshman Jamie Tremble comes to Syracuse as a four-star prospect from outside of Atlanta and has the body type to suggest he may follow Gadsden’s path. A top-15 recruit at the position, Tremble had 63 receptions for 1,290 yards and 15 scores as a senior in high school, moving his career totals to over 160 catches and 2,800 yards to go with 31 touchdowns. At 6’4” and 208 pounds, Tremble will likely need to bulk up before becoming a significant contributor, but could still get some opportunities as a target in the pass game.

David Clement, who missed his senior year of high school, played in 11 games last season for the Orange, mostly seeing action with the special teams and short-yardage units. An Albany native, Clement was a top-ten recruit in the state of New York and should be looked at as a developmental piece behind the experienced group in front of him.

https://www.informnny.com/sports/orange-nation/syracuse-defenses-size-and-depth-will-bring-success/ (informnny.com; video; Mustion)

One thing SU football needed to improve upon from last season was the defense. In order to do that, Fran Brown and Elijah Robinson have brought in the size and strength the defensive line needs. On top of that, the defense is deep this year allowing numerous players to have key roles this season.

Syracuse Football Fall Camp STANDOUTS | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football has had a numbers of players standout at fall camp. Fran Brown's prized quarterback transfer Kyle McCord has looked great since getting on the Hill. Marlowe Wax, LeQuint Allen, and Oronde Gadsden have also turned heads. Marcellus Barnes, Yasin Willis, and Malachi James could all play crucial roles as true freshmen.

Jackson Holzer brings on Mike McAllister to go over some of the main fall camp takeaways on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Justus Ross-Simmons is a MAJOR SLEEPER for Syracuse Football | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Colorado State transfer Justus Ross-Simmons could play a vital role for Syracuse Football and that's being Head Coach Fran Brown's Wide Receiver two. The former All-MAC Conference wide-out improved his numbers in 2023 compared to 2022 and was recruited by the Florida Gators, Alabama Crimson Tide, Penn State Nittany Lions, and Florida State Seminoles.

Jackson Holzer tells you why Justus Ross-Simmons is a sleeper for Syracuse Football.

TOP 5 Syracuse Football Fall Camp TAKEAWAYS (youtube; podcdast; Orange Zone)

On this episode of the Orange Zone podcast, Samantha Croston, Ashley Wenskoski and Rachel Culver discuss the top 5 takeaways from SU Football Fall Camp.

Keeping Up With The 315 8-21-24 (soundcloud.com; radio; The 315)

Today on The 315, Brian takes a deep look at Syracuse Football's defensive backs, before going over potential NFL guys on the roster, and finishes discussing what a worst case scenario would look like for the team this season.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 8-21-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia take a look at some preseason ACC football polls, discuss the culture of Syracuse Football going forward, and talk some Yankees baseball.

CNS OT & Syracuse Commit Kardiear Shepherd & Coach Jim Ryan w/ DT (youtube; podcast; WakeUpCallDT)

"Wake Up Call with Dan Tortora" comes to you from ON-SITE at Heritage Hill North on 628 S Main St, North Syracuse, NY, featuring CNS Athletics Football 2024 Preview w/ New Head Coach Jim Ryan & OL/DL Kardiear Shepherd who has committed to join the Syracuse Orange Football program...

3-star 2025 recruit Daunte Bacheyie bolsters CBA-Syracuse pipeline (DO; Kimball)

Since Fran Brown’s hiring in Nov. 2023, Syracuse has excelled in recruiting nationally. The Orange boast the No. 36 overall recruiting class in 2024, according to 247Sports, and rank No. 38 in the class of 2025.

A crucial part of SU’s success has come via Brown keeping talent in state, as nine of New York’s top 15 recruits in the class of 2025 are committed to the Orange, per 247 Sports. Brown has also excelled recruiting local talent, with Christian Brothers Academy rising senior tight end Daunte Bacheyie being one of three players from the school committed to SU in 2025.

Bacheyie is a three-star recruit and the seventh-ranked player in New York, according to 247Sports. Known for his towering 6-foot-6 frame, agile feet and elite body control, Bacheyie made a name for himself at CBA as a receiver in 2023, catching 19 passes for 312 yards and seven touchdowns in 11 games. Bacheyie committed to Syracuse on April 24, choosing the Orange after also fielding interest from Boston College, Buffalo, Fordham and Pittsburgh.

“After I talked to them and they told me how they saw me and would use me, (Syracuse) jumped right to the top of my list,” Bacheyie said. “I talked to family and friends about it and have had conversations with (Brown) almost every other day. After that, it seemed like an easy choice.”

Bacheyie has been a Syracuse fan since moving from New Jersey to central New York when he was 5. He became accustomed to SU football throughout his childhood, attending home games as a fan. Since joining the Brothers as a high schooler, Bacheyie has played in the JMA Wireless Dome a number of times, developing an even further connection to his future home field.

At SU, Bacheyie will be joined by high school teammates Darien Williams and Matthew Hawn. Williams, a wide receiver, is 247Sports’ top-ranked New York recruit, while Hawn is a three-star offensive lineman.

“They support each other,” CBA head coach Casey Brown said of Bacheyie, Williams and Hawn. “It’s nice to have one of your brothers with you when you are going on this next path. They can lean on and motivate each other, make each other accountable for coach Brown and Syracuse.”

After Bacheyie met Williams as a freshman, the two have created a tight bond over the last several years while developing as pass catchers. In that time, Williams has seen Bacheyie’s development blossom firsthand.

“The way (Bacheyie’s) speed has increased is ridiculous and he’s got incredible hands,” Williams said. “Being 6-foot-6 and running as fast as he does can be dangerous.”

To develop his speed, Bacheyie has utilized track and field. In the spring, he helped CBA’s 4×100 relay team win a state championship. As an undersized ninth grader, Bacheyie dedicated himself to the weight room. Since then, Bacheyie has grown into his body while utilizing his speed and athleticism to dominate on the gridiron.

SA4EMBED_-Courtesy-of-Daunte-Bacheyie-.jpg

Daunte Bacheyie is one of three Christian Brothers Academy players committed to Syracuse in its class of 2025 recruiting class. Photo courtesy of Daunte Bacheyie

With Bacheyie’s skill set and physical presence, Casey has used him in multiple ways, including go-routes and blocking on offense. Bacheyie made just one catch as a sophomore before breaking out as a junior, helping CBA go undefeated en route to its third state championship in the last 25 years. Max Preps recognized Bacheyie as one of the top tight ends in the Great Lakes region. Additionally, Bacheyie plays linebacker, as his vision has helped him quarterback CBA’s defense.

'Cuse on the Quad and the Toyota Fun Zone return for the 2024 football season with new highlights for Orange fans to get ready for kickoff.

Located in close proximity to the JMA Wireless Dome on the Syracuse University Quad in front of Hendricks Chapel, this is a pregame event for fans of all ages to enjoy. 'Cuse on the Quad opens three hours prior to kickoff for each home game.

The biggest new addition that's a must for fans is the NYE Auto Quad Walk. Head Coach Fran Brown and the Orange will walk through the quad 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to every home game, giving fans an opportunity to cheer on the team as they head into the JMA Wireless Dome.

The team will be dropped off near Hendricks Chapel and follow the below route to the stadium.

ACC News

ACC Football Power Rankings for Week 0 (andalusiastarnews.com; Skrive)

Looking at the schools in the ACC, who are the top teams in the conference going into Week 0 of the college football schedule? In this week’s power rankings, which can be found below, we take a look at each team and how they stack up.

Projected records reflect games against only FBS opponents.

No. 1: Florida State Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 10-1 Last Game Result: 63-3 loss against Georgia Strength of Schedule Ranking: 47th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: @ Georgia Tech Game Time: 12:00 PM ET on Saturday, August 24 TV Channel: ACCN (Watch on Fubo – Regional restrictions may apply)

No. 2: Clemson Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 9-2 Last Game Result: 38-35 win against Kentucky Strength of Schedule Ranking: 46th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 3: Louisville Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 9-2 Last Game Result: 42-28 loss against USC Strength of Schedule Ranking: 36th Catch college football action all year long on ESPN+. Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 4: SMU Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 8-3 Last Game Result: 23-14 loss against Boston College Strength of Schedule Ranking: 117th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: @ Nevada Game Time: 8:00 PM ET on Saturday, August 24 TV Channel: CBS Sports Network (Watch on Fubo – Regional restrictions may apply)

No. 5: Duke Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 9-2 Last Game Result: 17-10 win against Troy Strength of Schedule Ranking: 40th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 6: North Carolina State Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 9-2 Last Game Result: 28-19 loss against Kansas State Strength of Schedule Ranking: 39th Bet on this or any college football matchup at BetMGM. Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 7: Virginia Tech Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 9-3 Last Game Result: 41-20 win against Tulane Strength of Schedule Ranking: 72nd Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 8: Miami (FL) Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 5-6 Last Game Result: 31-24 loss against Rutgers Strength of Schedule Ranking: 56th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 9: Georgia Tech Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 3-8 Last Game Result: 30-17 win against UCF Strength of Schedule Ranking: 45th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: Florida State Game Time: 12:00 PM ET on Saturday, August 24 TV Channel: ACCN (Watch on Fubo – Regional restrictions may apply)

No. 10: California Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 6-5 Last Game Result: 34-14 loss against Texas Tech Strength of Schedule Ranking: 19th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 11: North Carolina Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 7-4 Last Game Result: 30-10 loss against West Virginia Strength of Schedule Ranking: 59th Bet on this or any college football matchup at BetMGM. Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 12: Boston College Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 4-7 Last Game Result: 23-14 win against SMU Strength of Schedule Ranking: 67th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 13: Virginia Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 1-10 Last Game Result: 55-17 loss against Virginia Tech Strength of Schedule Ranking: 16th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 14: Stanford Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 1-10 Last Game Result: 56-23 loss against Notre Dame Strength of Schedule Ranking: 1st Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 15: Wake Forest Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 3-8 Last Game Result: 35-31 loss against Syracuse Strength of Schedule Ranking: 43rd Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 16: Pittsburgh Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 4-7 Last Game Result: 30-19 loss against Duke Strength of Schedule Ranking: 48th Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

No. 17: Syracuse Current Record: 0-0 | Projected 2024 Record: 2-9 Last Game Result: 45-0 loss against South Florida Strength of Schedule Ranking: 73rd Next Game Week 0 Opponent: BYE

College football predictions: Every ACC team's final record in 2024 (247sports.com; Nagel)

The ACC will not be left out of the College Football Playoff in 2024
. An automatic bid and one of the top four seeds is up for grabs to the conference champion, but will the ACC get an at-large selection too? Four members of the newly expanded league enter 2024 in the preseason AP Top 25 rankings — Clemson, Florida State, Miami and NC State. Each has a chance to make the 12-team playoff field if the cards fall in their favor.

However, it is the teams just outside the top 25 national rankings — like Louisville, SMU and sneaky Virginia Tech — that could disrupt the ACC and limit the conference to just one playoff bid. The schedules are certainly favorable for each.

The West Coast additions of California and Stanford, as well as SMU in Texas, gives the ACC a new dynamic of cross-country travel worth considering when making game-by-game predictions and determining the final order of finish for 2024.

Below are the game-by-game predictions for every ACC team and the projected order of finish in the league:

Virginia Cavaliers

Projected record: 2-10, 0-8
Wins: Richmond, Coastal Carolina
Losses: Wake Forest, Maryland, Boston College, Louisville, Clemson, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, SMU, Virginia Tech
The word: Unless Virginia takes a big jump forward in 2024 under third-year head coach Tony Elliott, then it could be another long season in Charlottesville. The Cavaliers entered this week having not named a starting quarterback with Anthony Colandrea and Tony Muskett still splitting reps in camp. That does not inspire optimism after struggling with inconsistencies at the position last season. Virginia has not gone winless in ACC play since 2013.

Stanford Cardinal

Projected record: 3-9, 1-7 (tie for 15th)
Wins: Cal Poly, Wake Forest, San Jose State
Losses: TCU, Syracuse, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, SMU, NC State, Louisville, California
The word: Stanford did not get a favorable schedule as it makes its ACC debut in 2024. The Cardinal have seven of the top 10 teams with the best odds to win the ACC title on their slate this season. That does not include tricky matchups against Notre Dame and TCU. Returning wide receiver Elic Ayomanor is a bright spot on the roster having become the first Stanford player to surpass 1,000 yards receiving in a season since 2018. But how much can he carry this Stanford squad?

Duke Blue Devils

Projected record: 4-8, 1-7 (tie for 15th)
Wins: Elon, UConn, Middle Tennessee, Wake Forest
Losses: Northwestern, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Florida State, SMU, Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech
The word: Duke has opportunities to pick up some early wins in the non-conference slate as it begins a new era under head coach Manny Diaz. However, things get more difficult when the ACC schedule starts. Former Texas backup quarterback Maalik Murphy takes command of the offense with a powerful arm. He has seven games of experience and two starts prior to his arrival in Durham. The Blue Devils were gutted by transfer portal departures, so it could take some time for this program to get back on its feet.

Syracuse Orange

Projected record: 6-6, 2-6 (tie for 12th)
Wins: Ohio, Stanford, Holy Cross, UNLV, Virginia Tech, UConn
Losses: Georgia Tech, NC State, Pittsburgh, Boston College, California, Miami
The word: Syracuse could very likely go to a bowl game again in 2024, extending its streak to three-straight years despite a recent change in head coach. The Orange established momentum right away after hiring Fran Brown as its new leader with big moves in the transfer portal. Former Ohio State starting quarterback Kyle McCord is an upgrade for Syracuse and pairs with LeQuint Allen, one of the top returning running backs in the ACC.

(youtube; podcast; Kurtz)

Dennis Dodd predicts that ESPN won't renew the ACC's contract after the football season. Can the Big 12 put two teams in the playoff?Get “Open For Business” A Big 12 newsletter sending the key headlines, interviews, and my analysis straight to your inbox. No more college football news through an SEC/Big Ten lens. If you're a Big 12 fan (or just curious), sign up below!

2024 ACC Football Predictions - Picking EVERY Game (youtube; podcast; The Sports Guy)

Now with 17 teams, the ACC is stronger than ever, and today I picked the winner of each game for the entire 2024 season. Some of these predictions are based on gut feelings, and some are guesses. There may be just a little bias too .

Why NC State Football can compete for the ACC Championship (youtube; podcast; 99.9 The Fan)

Paul Ihander & Graham Hill are joined by Shehan Jeyarajah of CBS Sports, to discuss why NC State Football is poised to compete for the ACC Championship this season. Paul, Graham, & Shehan dive into the team’s strengths, key players, and the possible outcomes of the 2024 season that could give the Wolfpack an edge in the ACC and earn them a spot in the college football playoffs.

2024 ACC Football Season Previews | NC State Wolfpack with James Henderson of @InsidePackSports! (youtube; podcast; Basketball Conference)
James Henderson of ‪@InsidePackSports‬ joins the show for the first time to preview the 2024 Wolfpack!

Georgia Tech 2024 preview: Most important ACC matchup (ajc.com; Bishop)
The following is the ninth in a series of articles that will preview the coming Georgia Tech football season, which begins Aug. 24 against Florida State in Dublin. In the series, we will examine several of the “Most important” things to watch as the Yellow Jackets’ season approaches. Today: Most important ACC matchup.

Since Dave Doeren took over in Raleigh, North Carolina, in 2013, all the Wolfpack has done is win.

North Carolina State has had only two losing seasons in Doeren’s tenure, his first season more than a decade ago and the anomaly of the 2019 campaign when his team went 4-8. N.C. State has won at least eight games seven times under Doeren, and it has won nine games four times.

“We’re one of five programs over the last four years that have won eight or more games. We’ve sustained a level of competitive greatness that not many people have been able to do,” Doeren said this summer at the ACC Football Kickoff media days. “With that being said, we want to win a championship. So different is that. It’s taking the program from the second most wins since 2020 to winning the league. That is different.

“What we did last year and the year before and the year before is good. Winning nine games is good. We don’t want to be good, we want to be the best at what we do. These guys understand that.”

State is coming off a 9-4 season in which it finished third in the ACC standings and qualified for a fourth consecutive bowl trip. This year’s squad was predicted to finish fourth in the league’s preseason poll.

The Pack comes to Atlanta on Nov. 21. That’s a Thursday night game at Bobby Dodd Stadium and the home and ACC finale for the Yellow Jackets. If Tech wants to continue to climb the ACC mountain, knocking off N.C. State at home in what could be a raucous atmosphere would be a huge step for the program.

For all the talk about Tech’s opener against defending ACC champ Florida State, or its visits to Louisville, Virginia Tech and North Carolina, none may have bigger implications for Tech’s postseason hopes or for its position on the league table than the matchup with the Wolfpack, a team with plans of its own to make a run at the ACC title game.

“You’re always looking for signs of improvement and signs where, ‘We need to call this up, talk about this, we’re better than this.’ Just holding each other accountable to what we want. We want to be elite,” Doeren said. “That means everything that we do, can’t cut corners. It’s going to be something that we push forward together.”

The Nov. 21 meeting will be only the third between Tech and N.C. State since 2015 and just the fifth since 2007. The programs previously met every season from 1983-2006.

Who’s Ready? Exciting Enhancements Await Players, Coaches & Capacity Crowds Inside Allegacy Stadium This Fall - Wake Forest University Athletics (godeacs.com)

In the continued effort to enhance the competitive success of the Demon Deacons football program and the overall experience for student-athletes competing in football games inside Allegacy Stadium and for all the fans attending these marquee events this fall, Wake Forest Athletics has a number of exciting items that it will be implementing this fall to boost the experience for everyone on gamedays.

"Creating an exceptional game day experience for players and fans is not just a goal; it's our commitment," Vice President & Director of Athletics John Currie said. "It's about ensuring that every moment, from kickoff to the final whistle, is memorable and enjoyable for everyone who walks through our gates. Allegacy Stadium provides the Best Fan Experience in North Carolina and today's announcement is further evidence of that goal. We take pride in providing an environment that inspires our players to perform at their best and our fans to cheer with passion and pride."

The enhancements include state-of-the-art technologies and new amenities that reflect Wake Forest Athletics' commitment to providing a World Class Student-Athlete Experience and the Best Fan Experience for all.

Additionally with multiple sellouts expected this fall, Wake Forest Athletics encouraged fans to get their tickets for the 2024 season while supplies last! Fewer than 1,000 tickets remain for Opening Night at Allegacy Stadium
Skip Ad

on Aug. 29, Ole Miss on Sept. 14, Louisiana on Sept. 28 and fewer than 2,000 tickets remain for Clemson on Oct. 12.
Skip Ad

• Communication Inside Helmets:
    • This fall, players and coaches from both programs will harness cutting-edge technology to revolutionize their game. Equipped with helmets that enable real-time communication, coaches can now strategize and adjust tactics directly on the field, elevating teamwork and in-game coordination to a new level.
  • Bench Video Review:
    • This season, coaches will use Apple iPads tablets on the sidelines to access real-time video and film reviews. These cutting-edge tools will provide instant analysis and strategic insights, giving both coaches and players a powerful advantage during the game.
  • Additional Club Seating on East Side:
    • The addition of 54 new club seats on the East Side offers premium views and amenities for fans seeking a luxurious game day experience. The addition comes after high demand for the previous East Side club seats installed in 2021. All seats purchased come with access to the Pollard Club for food and beverage amenities. To purchase these seats, please call the Wake Forest ticket sales team at 336-758-3322.

ESPN CFB Coverage, Weeks 0-1, 2024 (RX; HM)

ESPN CFB Coverage, Weeks 0-1, 2024
From the ESPN press release of August 20, 2024...

ESPN's Comprehensive College Football Coverage Kicks Off with Dynamic Commentator Lineup
ESPN’s industry-leading coverage of college football will once again feature the deepest roster of on-air personalities in the sport for the 2024-25 season... More than two dozen teams of veteran play-by-play commentators, informative analysts and versatile reporters will cover the season...
Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and reporter Holly Rowe will team up again to call marquee matchups on ABC. The 2024 season marks Fowler and Herbstreit’s 11th year in the SNF booth and their 29th season as college football teammates, beginning in 1996 on College GameDay... Rowe, a 2023 Sports Emmy winner, joined the team in 2021 and is in her 29th college football season for ESPN and ABC.
Another top ABC/ESPN team features Sean McDonough, Greg McElroy and Molly McGrath pairing up for the second season... McDonough, one of the most accomplished broadcasters of his generation... McGrath, fresh off her third consecutive College Football Playoff National Championship network assignment and second straight Sports Emmy nomination, is in her fifth season in this role...
The trio of veteran play-by-play voice Joe Tessitore, longtime ESPN analyst Jesse Palmer and sideline reporter Katie George will work together on ESPN/ABC games for the second straight season...
The teams of Fowler/Herbstreit/Rowe, McDonough/McElroy/McGrath, and Tessitore/Palmer/George will rotate commentary duties for the new SEC on ABC franchise at 3:30 p.m., which debuts Saturday, Aug. 31 with a brand new graphics and animation package.
Additional teams for ESPN/ABC Saturday games:
Mark Jones, Roddy Jones
and Quint Kessenich team up for the first time... Roddy Jones has been with ESPN since 2017, first as a sideline reporter and then as an analyst on both ACC Network and ESPN...
Bob Wischusen and Kris Budden will be joined by Louis Riddick on ABC and ESPN...
Dave Pasch and Dusty Dvoracek will call games together for the fourth consecutive season... Dvoracek also contributes to College Football Live, SportsCenter and various SEC Network programming... Sideline reporter Taylor McGregor joins the duo for the first time this season. McGregor, part of ESPN’s college football team since 2019...
Tiffany Greene and Jay Walker team up each week in the booth on ESPN’s HBCU spotlights, along with the Cricket MEAC/SWAC Challenge Kick-Off and the Cricket Celebration Bowl on ABC. The duo has been paired up since 2018, when Greene became the first Black woman to serve as a play-by-play commentator in college football...
Lead College Networks Commentating Crews:
SEC Network
returns its SEC Saturday Night trio of Tom Hart, Jordan Rodgers and Cole Cubelic for the eighth consecutive season.
ACC Network Primetime features a new look in 2024, as veteran ESPN field analyst Tom Luginbill moves to the booth for his 20th season at ESPN, joined by ESPN college football newcomer Dana Boyle – a regular on ESPN’s collegiate and professional lacrosse coverage, and longtime play-by-play voice Wes Durham. Details.
Additional Game Crews on ESPN Platforms:
Returning Teams:

• Matt Barrie, Dan Mullen and Harry Lyles
  • Anish Shroff, Andre Ware and Paul Carcaterra
  • Brian Custer, Rod Gilmore and Lauren Sisler
  • Taylor Zarzour, Matt Stinchcomb and Alyssa Lang
  • Eric Frede and Jack Ford
New Teams:
  • Dave Flemming, Brock Osweiler and Stormy Buonantony
  • Roy Philpott, Sam Acho and Taylor Davis
  • Mike Monaco, Kirk Morrison and Dawn Davenport
  • Dave Neal, Aaron Murray and Ashley ShahAhmadi
  • Jorge Sedano, Orlando Franklin and Morgan Uber
  • Chris Cotter, Mark Herzlich and Coley Harvey
  • Jay Alter and Rocky Boiman
  • Lowell Galindo and Fozzy Whittaker
  • Mike Corey/Courtney Lyle* and Rene Ingoglia
  • Matt Schumacker and Dustin Fox
  • Noah Reed and Craig Haubert
  • Clay Matvick and Steve Addazio
* Lyle returns from maternity leave in late September
. . .
ESPN College Football Commentator Assignments for Weeks 0 & 1 (just games on national TV and ESPN+ games involving the ACC):

DateTime(ET)MatchupCommentatorsPlatform
Sat, Aug 24NoonAer Lingus College Football
Classic (from Dublin, Ireland)
#10 Florida St vs. Georgia Tech
Joe Tessitore,
Jesse Palmer,
Katie George
ESPN
3:30 pmMcNeese at Tarleton StateLowell Galindo,
Fozzy Whittaker
ESPN2
7 pmFCS Kickoff (Montgomery,
AL) N. Alabama vs.
Southeast Missouri St
Jay Alter,
Rocky Boiman,
Morgan Uber
ESPN
7:30 pmCricket MEAC/SWAC
Challenge Kick-Off (Atlanta)
Florida A&M vs. Norfolk St
Tiffany Greene,
Jay Walker,
Quint Kessenich
ABC
ESPN+
Thu, Aug 297 pmWestern Carolina
at #24 NC State
Wes Durham,
Tom Luginbill,
Dana Boyle
ACCN
North Carolina A&T
at Wake Forest
Matt Schick,
Charles Arbuckle
ESPN+
ACCNX
7:30 pmArkansas-Pine Bluff
at Arkansas
(from Little Rock, Ark.)
Jay Alter,
Rocky Boiman
ESPNU
8 pmNorth Dakota State
at Colorado
Mark Jones,
Roddy Jones,
Quint Kessenich
ESPN
Murray State at #11 MissouriMatt Barrie,
Dan Mullen,
Harry Lyles Jr
SECN
Fri, Aug 307 pmTemple at #16 OklahomaAnish Shroff,
Andre Ware,
Paul Carcaterra
ESPN
7:30 pmElon at DukeClay Matvick,
Steve Addazio,
Justin Walters
ACCN
10:30 pmTCU at StanfordDave Flemming,
Brock Osweiler,
Stormy Buonantony
ESPN
Sat, Aug 3111:30 am#8 Penn State
at West Virginia
Mike Couzens,
Max Starks,
Mike Peasley
ESPN
Radio
NoonAflac Kickoff:
#14 Clemson vs. #1 Georgia
(from Atlanta, Ga.)
Sean McDonough,
Greg McElroy,
Molly McGrath
ABC
ESPN+
Virginia Tech at VanderbiltRoy Philpott,
Sam Acho,
Taylor Davis
ESPN
Kent State at PittsburghMatt Schumacker,
Dustin Fox
ESPNU
Austin Peay at LouisvilleJorge Sedano,
Orlando Franklin,
Morgan Uber
ACCN
12:45 pmChattanooga
at #15 Tennessee
Taylor Zarzour,
Matt Stinchcomb,
Alyssa Lang
SECN
3:30 pm#19 Miami at FloridaJoe Tessitore,
Jesse Palmer,
Katie George
ABC
ESPN+
Colorado State at #4 TexasMike Monaco,
Kirk Morrison,
Dawn Davenport
ESPN
Ohio at SyracuseChris Cotter,
Mark Herzlich,
Coley Harvey
ACCN
4 pmBoise State at
Georgia Southern
Mike Corey,
Rene Ingoglia
ESPNU
4:15 pmOld Dominion
at South Carolina
Dave Neal,
Aaron Murray,
Ashley ShahAhmadi
SECN
5 pmUC Davis at CaliforniaRoxy Bernstein,
Craig Haubert,
Sherree Burruss
ESPN+
ACCNX
Richmond at VirginiaChris Carlin,
Forrest Conoly
ESPN+
ACCNX
7 p.m.Western Kentucky a
t #5 Alabama
Dave Pasch,
Dusty Dvoracek,
Taylor McGregor
ESPN
7:30 pm#7 Notre Dame
at #20 Texas A&M
Chris Fowler,
Kirk Herbstreit,
Holly Rowe
ABC
ESPN+
7:45 p.m.Southern Miss
at Kentucky
Tom Hart,
Jordan Rodgers,
Cole Cubelic
SECN
8 p.m.James Madison
at Charlotte
Justin Kutcher,
Charles Arbuckle
ESPNU
Georgia State
at Georgia Tech
Wes Durham,
Tom Luginbill,
Dana Boyle
ACCN
Houston Christian
at SMU
Doug Sherman,
Tyoka Jackson,
Marilyn Payne
ESPN+
ACCNX
10:30 p.m.New Mexico
at #21 Arizona
Brian Custer,
Rod Gilmore,
Lauren Sisler
ESPN
Sun, Sep 13 p.m.Denny's Orange Blossom
Classic (Miami Gardens, FL)
NC Central vs. Alabama St
Tiffany Greene,
Jay Walker
ESPN
7 p.m.Red Tails Classic
(Montgomery, AL) Tuskegee
vs. Johnson C. Smith
Jason Ross Jr,
Marcus Ray
ESPNU
7:30 p.m.Modelo Vegas Kickoff
Classic (Las Vegas, NV)
#23 USC vs. #13 LSU
TV: Rece Davis,
Kirk Herbstreit,
Holly Rowe
ABC
ESPN+
(different team of
announcers for radio)
Radio: Marc Kestecher,
Kelly Stouffer,
Ian Fitzsimmons
ESPN
Radio
Mon, Sep 27:30 p.m.Boston College
at #10 Florida State
Bob Wischusen,
Louis Riddick,
Kris Budden
ESPN

Remember, this is not the entire schedule - just the games on an ESPN network.

2024 Summary of Watch Lists (RX; HM)

2024 Summary of Watch Lists

From the official ACC release of Monday, August 19, 2024...

ACC Football Preseason Watch List Honorees

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) - With the 2024 football season set to kick off this week, below is a full list of Atlantic Coast Conference football players named to national preseason watch lists for 2024.
The ACC claimed 219 spots on the national preseason watch lists, with 129 different players across all 17 teams garnering preseason recognition.
Florida State and Georgia Tech will kick off the 2024 college football season at the Aer Lingus College Football Classic in Week 0 on Saturday, Aug. 24, at noon ET in Dublin, Ireland. ESPN’s College GameDay Built by The Home Depot will broadcast live for the first time from Dublin, Ireland, marking the first time that the show will be outside of the United States.
New member SMU will also be one of eight teams playing in Week 0, as the Mustangs will take on Nevada on Aug. 24 at 8 p.m. ET in Reno, Nevada.
All 17 teams will be in action over Labor Day weekend, Aug. 29-Sept. 2, with 16 games spanning four days - Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday. Boston College and Florida State will cap off Week 1 of the 2024 college football season with a Labor Day showdown in ACC play on Monday, Sept. 2, at 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN.
The 2024 ACC Football Championship Game will kick off at 8 p.m. ET on ABC on Saturday, Dec. 7, at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina. For the second consecutive season, the championship game will feature the top two teams based on regular-season conference winning percentage. This is the 15th time in the last 16 years that the game will be held in primetime.

National Preseason Award Watch Lists (Alphabetical Order):

Bednarik Award

• Barrett Carter, Clemson, Senior, LB
  • Peter Woods, Clemson, Sophomore, DT
  • Tre Freeman, Duke, Redshirt Junior, LB
  • Joshua Farmer, Florida State, Redshirt Junior, DT
  • Patrick Payton, Florida State, Redshirt Junior, DE
  • Ashton Gillotte, Louisville, Senior, DE
  • Quincy Riley, Louisville, Redshirt Senior, CB
  • Rueben Bain, Jr., Miami, Sophomore, DE
  • Francisco Mauigoa, Miami, Senior, LB
  • Power Echols, North Carolina, Senior, LB
  • Kaimon Rucker, North Carolina, Graduate Student, Edge
  • Davin Vann, NC State, Senior, DE
  • Donovan McMillon, Pitt, Senior, S
  • Elijah Roberts, SMU, Graduate Student, DE
  • Marlowe Wax, Syracuse, Senior, LB
  • Jonas Sanker, Virginia, Senior, S
  • Aeneas Peebles, Virginia Tech, Graduate Student, DT
  • Antwaun Powell-Ryland, Virginia Tech, Redshirt Senior, DE
  • Jasheen Davis, Wake Forest, Senior, DE

2024 Preview: Florida State and Georgia Tech (RX; HM)

2024 Preview: Florida State and Georgia Tech

The Seminoles and their closest away opponent in the ACC, the Yellow Jackets, are about to face off, not in Atlanta, but in Ireland! This is a first time trip for the Florida State football team, but the second time in 8 years for Georgia Tech.

Here's the "The history of CFB in Ireland" - according to Saturday Blitz (powered by Fansided):

History of Games in Ireland
SeasonWinnerLoserScore
1988Boston CollegeArmy38-24
1989PittRutgers46-29
1996Notre DameNavy54-27
2012Notre DameNavy50-10
2014Penn StateUCF26-24
2016Georgia TechBoston College17-14
2022NorthwesternNebraska31-28
2023Notre DameNavy42-3

That leaves this year's game, plus a couple of future games already scheduled:

Future Scheduled Games
SeasonVisitorHost
2024Florida StateGeorgia Tech
2025Iowa StateKansas State
2027PittWisconsin

I guess you could say Ireland has almost become the Week Zero rendezvous spot for ACC teams, and for Notre Dame and Navy.

Now, let's talk season previews.
_____

Florida State

Off-season talk was dominated by two things: (a) "the snub", and (b) "the lawsuit". Nonetheless, the football people in Tallahassee have actually been getting things ready for the 2024 season as best they can.

From PFF: College Football Preview 2024: Florida State Seminoles

Other

Day 2 at the NYS Fair: Today’s handpicked menu and schedule (PS; Miller)

Welp, Opening Day at the 2024 New York State Fair had its ups, its downs and its sideways.

What had been dubbed (by me) the Year of the Goat suddenly turned into the Hour of the Goat. The 100 dwarf goats brought to the Horticulture Building to cuddle with patrons had to turn around Wednesday and go home after one of them came down with a virus that could harm other animals. That sad news came just as heavy showers rolled in, bringing rain that would hit your face as if you were staring at the dark spitting clouds. That weather is likely to blame for keeping attendance for the first day at 38,215.

But there was a bright side: The 13-day Fair started with some fine music and food. The first two guests — a couple of 17-year-olds — showed up at 4:55 a.m. so they could be first in line to enjoy the day. And we had a mess of journalists out testing food, drinks, rides, games and more food so they could provide highlights to help you prepare your own visit.

Today’s Menu

I’m at the Fair every day and night, and hey, a guy’s gotta eat (and drink). I write about food and drinks for syracuse.com and The Post-Standard, so I might as well as pass suggestions onto you while I’m working here. That said, I’m no expert. I rely on readers to tell me what’s good. If you find something that makes your tummy happy, text me at 315-382-1984 and I’ll give it a shot. I might join you for a meal or drink and pick up the tab.

Lunch: You can find a turkey leg on almost any corner of the fairgrounds. Some are grilled, some are deep-fried, some are baked. They’re all good, but my favorite is the smoked drumstick from Porky’s Barbecue and Grill, the second stand on Restaurant Row. The turkey legs ($18) weigh 2 pounds when they hit the smoker each morning. The skin comes out brown and crisp, but the meat stays moist, even after absorbing the burning hardwood’s aroma.

Happy Hour: A colleague tried the Sammy Slammer at the Tikki Turtle on the Colonnade yesterday while writing a story about tasty drinks at the Fair. He described it as mighty strong but good, so of course I had to try it.

This 12-ounce cup is filled with vodka, Midori, white rum and lemonade. My only question to Lana, the very skilled bartender, was “Are you sure you put lemonade in this?” Yes, it’s worth all of the $12 I paid. Plus, it’s named after Sam Vaughn of Scriba, a cook at the Tikki Turtle who died in November after a car accident.

7I6FNZFICVD75KN3FUZB47KGDQ.jpg

Syracuse.com reporter Darian Stevenson with the two-foot long Lobster Roll at the NY State Fair.Don Cazentre

7 new foods so fresh they’ll slap your tastebuds at the 2024 NYS Fair (PS; $; Cazentre & Stevenson)

Of course, it’s always fun to try your old favorites during a visit to the New York State Fair.

But if you’re adventurous, you can also find something new.

That can mean new items from old stands, or something from the dozens of new food vendors scattered across the fairgrounds.

Here’s our look at seven new tastes we found at the 2024 State Fair.

Chiktay

Who: Petu Haitian Soule Food

Where: Pan-African Village

How much: $15

What it’s like: In the Pan-African Village, a soul food style stand serves a traditional Haitian dish called chiktay, meaning to shred. This Haitian soul food style food is filled with shredded cod, peppers, onions and spices. Its stew-like consistency is soaked up with the bread slices served on the side.

Hillbilly Burger

Who: Country Corner

Where: The Eatery

What it’s like: This burger is a heart attack worth having. The double, bacon cheeseburger is a classic with a twist over at the Country Corner. It’s topped with American cheese, cheddar cheese queso, a hot dog and tater tots. It’s messy, so a fork and many, many napkins are recommended.

Loaded Double Dog

Who: 1911 / Beak & Skiff

Where: Along State Fair Boulevard, across from the Indian Village on fair’s West End.

How much: $10

What it’s like: This bad boy had everything but the kitchen sink! Picture this: a hot dog bun, a frank, a coney, chili, cheddar cheese, onions and macaroni salad. Now throw it all together and you got the Loaded Double Dog. The mac salad was slightly sweet with added relish and the chili packed its own sugary taste.

The Pesto Parmesan Sandwich

Who: The Saucy Sandwich

How much: $14

What it’s like: It’s a meatball sub, but not smothered with your typical marinara sauce. The four meatballs sat atop a bed of parmesan cheese and was finished with a pesto sauce that was nutty, garlicky, and a bit salty. Just how a pesto should be! The meatballs were a bit tough on the outside, but the sauce surely made up for it.

The Mint Oreo Cup

Who: Chocolate Taps

What it’s like: It’s a cup of bright, juicy strawberries topped with dark chocolate and crushed mint Oreo cookies. The chocolate (a choice of milk or dark) is poured over the top from a fondue tap. And no need to worry, the strawberries are large and filled to the brim!

The 2-Foot Lobster Roll

Who: The Empire Room/ Daniella’s

Where: At the Fair’s extreme southeast corner

How much: $95, Market Price

What it’s like: Butter, buttered, buttery, oh my! This Connecticut-style lobster roll is 2 feet of goodness over at The Empire Room/Daniella’s. It was stuffed with warm lobster chunks in a buttered bun and served with melted butter on the side. It may be the priciest item at the fair, but it’s a worthwhile shareable item when amongst friends!

W5JZEX4IAVAEHLUMZ6RDNSIKDM.jpg

The maple donut costs $3 at NY Maple Pure stand in the Horticulture Building at the New York State Fair. For another $2, you can add a maple coffee to your order. Aug. 21, 2024. (Marie Morelli | mmorelli@syracuse.com)Marie Morelli | mmorelli@syracuse.com

8 ways to bust your gut at NYS Fair without busting your wallet (PS; $; Tampone & Morelli)

Eating cheap at the New York State Fair isn’t always easy, but you can find plenty of delicious deals if you know where to look.

That’s where this guide comes in. Our only criteria? Nothing over $5. Dive in here and you’ll never succumb to a $15 plate of french fries again.

Churro

Who: Fresh Mex Mexican Grill

How much: $5

What’s it like: If you’re looking to scratch your fried dough and/or funnel cake itch for $5 or less, this churro is a good bet. It’s highly portable. It’s crispy on the outside and pillowy soft within, but let’s be honest, you’re not here for texture. This thing is doused in enough cinnamon sugar to coat a lighthouse. That seems like just the right amount.

Maple doughnut

Who: New York State Maple Producers

Where: Horticulture Building

How much: $3

What’s it like: Are doughnuts a breakfast food or dessert? Does it matter? It certainly doesn’t when one this delicious comes in at $3. The dough itself was sweet and soft.

This was a doughnut of the fried variety. Not at all cakey. Maple frosting was plastered generously atop for a perfect, maple-y start (or end) to a day at the fair.

8 thrilling rides worth the risk of puking at the 2024 NYS Fair (PS; $; House & Herbert)

The Midway rides at the New York State Fair range from kiddie rides, fun houses and jumbo slides to more adventurous thrills like roller coasters, Superman, the Zipper, and high-flying swings. You know about the classics like the Tilt-a-Whirl and bumper cars, but we wanted to find the best NYS Fair rides that are worth throwing up for.

Most rides are sold as “credits” (previously as tickets), ranging in cost from 3 to 8 credits each. You can buy five credits for $7, 30 credits for $35 or 50 credits for $50.

Pro tip: For fairgoers planning on spending a lot of time at the midway, a “ride all day” wristband is worth considering. The wristbands cost $37 on weekdays and $47 on weekends. For $95, a “mega pass” wristband bought by Aug. 22 grants fairgoers unlimited rides every day of the fair.

Take note: Some rides cost extra and are not included with the ride-all-day wristbands or ride credits. The Broadway Skyliner (which lifts you over most of the fairgrounds) costs $7 for a one-way trip, and mechanical bull rides are also available for $10.

Here are the eight best rides we tried at the fair:

Starship 4000

Where: Midway

How much: 5 coupons

What’s it like: If you feel lukewarm about roller coasters but want to explore the midway, the Starship is a great place to start. The UFO-shaped ride offers thrills without inducing terror.

Fairgoers step into the enclosed Starship and lean back against cushioned panels. There are no safety belts. But when the ride starts to spin, don’t worry: Centripetal force keeps you firmly glued, allowing you to grin madly and confidentially as you twirl at top speed.

Note: You must be at least 48 inches tall to ride the Starship.

Cyclops

Where: Midway

How much: 5 coupons

What’s it like: Imagine you’re a prize sitting inside a claw machine, and the claw picks you up and swings you wildly back and forth. That’s kind of like being on the Cyclops.

You’ll feel the momentum shift in your gut when you end up perpendicular to the ground, exciting and dizzying all at once. For the uninitiated, we recommend trying this one before the Superman (see below), which goes a step further and flips you upside down while spinning around.

Where does the Dalai Lama spend 6 weeks recovering from surgery? With his friends in Syracuse (PS; Knauss)

The Dalai Lama, a world spiritual leader who typically draws big crowds anywhere he goes, quietly spent this summer at a suburban home outside Syracuse without much of anyone knowing.

His Holiness, as he is called, spent six weeks recovering from knee replacement surgery at the Jamesville home of Sam and Carol Nappi, who have known the 89-year-old Dalai Lama for years.

He departed Tuesday for New York City. Members of the Tibetan Community of North America will gather Thursday at the 19,000-seat UBS Arena to pray for him, according to the Dalai Lama’s website. The exiled spiritual leader of Tibet will return to his home in India Aug. 28.

The Nappis are traveling with the Dalai Lama and his entourage today in New York City, Sam Nappi said.

“His Holiness is a dear friend,’’ Nappi said by text message today. “We keep in touch by visiting (him) in India every few years.”

Last edited: