Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.webp

Welcome to Red Wine Day!

Dynamic flavors, versatility, and nutrition are all characteristics of red wine, the world's most popular wine, which is celebrated today with Red Wine Day. Dark-skinned grapes are fermented to make the wine, and a pigment in the skin of the grapes, anthocyanin, gives the wine its color. Merlot, syrah, pinot noir, and cabernet sauvignon are the four international varieties of red wine, meaning the grapes that make these red wines are planted in all the significant wine countries. Cabernet Sauvignon is the most planted grape in the world. Besides international varieties, the major varieties of red wine are malbec, zinfandel, chianti, cabernet franc, grenache, sangiovese tempranillo, and nebbiolo. There are many other regional red wine varieties. Red wine is made all over the world, but the top-producing locations are Rhône, Burgundy, and Bordeaux in France, Tuscany and Piedmont in Italy, the Barossa Valley in Australia, and Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley in California.

SU News

Our boldest Syracuse football predictions: How will Orange fare in Fran Brown’s first season? (PS; $; Staff)

The Syracuse football team kicks off its season under first-year coach Fran Brown at 3:30 p.m. Saturday when it hosts Ohio in the JMA Wireless Dome.

How will the Orange fare in Brown’s first year? Who, among all the new additions and key returners, is primed for a big season?

Our staff tackles those questions and more in our annual season predictions.

SU record and bowl game

Brent Axe: 8-4; Pop-Tarts Bowl

It’s the record that keeps flashing in my head like a neon sign in the window. If SU managed to crawl across the finish line with six wins last season, a much-improved Orange roster has to win eight games almost by default.

Chris Carlson: 8-4; Fenway Bowl

Fran Brown has improved the roster, but the Orange still isn’t quite good enough along the lines to impose its will and dominate games. That leaves a lot of toss-ups to be decided by broken tackles, bouncing fumbles, turnover luck and injuries.

Let’s assume luck is even and Syracuse splits those toss-ups. That’s how we get 8-4. The Fenway Bowl is going to want a team that can draw fans, and it took Boston College last year. Pittsburgh isn’t going anywhere, so unfortunately it’s our turn to put on our parkas and bite the cold-weather bowl bullet.

Emily Leiker: 8-4; Pop-Tarts Bowl

I’m going with an 8-4 regular season that will send Syracuse to (fingers crossed) the Pop-Tarts Bowl. Four losses would mean the Orange drops its games against N.C. State, Virginia Tech and Miami, plus an additional game that is closer to 50-50 (Georgia Tech, maybe Cal) or an upset.

Nate Mink: 6-6; Fenway Bowl

One of our first looks at Fran Brown came when he stepped off the private jet onto the tarmac at the Syracuse airport wearing Air Jordan’s and cradling his then-2-year-old daughter. For an expertly produced social media post, the football program’s creative team paired 50 Cent’s song “If I can’t” with images of Brown’s arrival.

The implication was clear: If Brown, regarded as one of the nation’s top recruiters, cannot cure what has ailed SU football for a generation, well, who can possibly acquire the type of talent and assemble the depth it takes to win a championship here?

Brown’s ambitions are big: He remodeled the back wall of the team auditorium, keeping it mostly barren so the five conference championship years and the 1959 national championship team stand alone as worthy of a legacy.

It’s all been a breath of fresh air.

Syracuse football: 2024 TNIAAM Season Predictions (TNIAAAM; Staff)
We’ve finally made it to the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. The Fran Brown era begins on Saturday against the Ohio Bobcats and we’ve got our season predictions for the Orange. Let’s see if our darts hit the bulls-eye

Kevin: 8-4, 4-4, Pop Tarts Bowl vs Arizona Wildcats

I’ve gone back and forth between 7 and 8 wins, but I’m buying the talent upgrade for the Orange. I think Kyle McCord will be better than many outside of Syracuse think and that will give the offense enough juice to win 8 games. My losses are NC State, Virginia Tech, California and Miami which would mean a really bumpy November, but overall enough to send Syracuse back to Orlando to face Dino Babers and the Wildcats...sure no one expects Arizona to do this well, but let’s inject the Pop-Tarts with a little spice?

Dom: 8-4, 5-3, Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Kansas Jayhawks

Like Kevin, I mulled between 7 and 8 wins. But I picked the 8-4 prediction to write about for a reason. There’s a lot going in favor of the Orange after a productive offseason. My logic is this: after getting six wins last year of all years, 8 wins again feels optimistic and not super unrealistic. I’ve got Syracuse going above-.500 against the ACC for the first time since 2018; losses penciled in are UNLV, NC State, Pitt and Miami. The Orange will head down to the Lone Star State against Kansas; the Jayhawks can’t escape us in football forever.

Mike: 9-3, 5-3, Pop Tarts Bowl vs Iowa State Cyclones

I am a bold one with this prediction but with all the abysmal injuries the past two years, SU is due to have a year where more things go right than not. The biggest concern is, as always, the o-line, but for once I’m somewhat confident that the depth there will hold up. There is such an abundance of talent in the skill positions that the Orange offense should keep pace with just about anyone in the ACC. Losses are to NC State, VT, and Cal, which will set up a showdown with a Big 12 sleeper team in Orlando.

Carson: 8-4, 4-4, Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Arizona Wildcats

I think 8-4 is extremely reasonable with this group. My losses are Georgia Tech, UNLV, NC State, and Miami. As I mentioned in my 9-3 prediction, I think Syracuse will get better as the season progresses and instead will trip earlier in the year. Hence the early losses to GT, UNLV, and NC State the week after. 4-4 against the ACC seems fitting. Dom brought up a great figure - Syracuse has not gone above 500 against the ACC since 2018 - and I think that continues. Not that I don’t believe in Fran Brown, I do, I think this year will be a bit of a learning curve for the 31st Head Football Coach of the Syracuse Orange.

Max: 7-5, 4-4, Pop-Tarts Bowl vs. West Virginia Mountaineers

I’m standing behind my record and game-by-game predictions from last week. The Georgia Tech game in Week 2 is an excellent early season test and will be a resumé booster for the Orange after a big home win. One downside with a new slew of coaches and players is the unknown chemistry between them. There will be some bumps in the road, especially on the October road trip against UNLV, NC State and Pitt, but I’m comfortable setting seven wins as SU’s floor.

Steve: 7-5, 4-4, Pop-Tarts Bowl vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys

I’m still too tepid on this team. They have the talent to be better, they have the ability to hit that 9-win plateau, possibly 10, and the absolute floor is at 6-6, but I’m going to hedge my bets on the season and say 7-5. The Orange got better across the board, and a new staff to boot, but was the talent upgrade and influx of quality underclassmen enough to move the needle as the rest of the ACC also brought in talent? I’m hoping to eat my hat on this one and it be 8 or 9 wins, but can’t in good faith throw it out there until I see product on the field.

The Juice Online - Schedule analysis — 2024 Syracuse Football preview (r1vals.com; Stechschulte)
It would be disingenuous to say this is anything but a favorable schedule for Syracuse. Most of the traditional ACC powers are nowhere to be seen on that slate, as is the strongest new conference member, SMU.

The nonconference schedule is very manageable with three of the four games coming at home along with the road trip to UNLV. The Rebels, who picked up five points in the preseason coaches’ poll after hanging a 9-5 record last season and losing the Mountain West conference title game, finished second in this season’s Mountain West preseason poll. Not only will the Orange have to deal with travel to Las Vegas, but they also do it on a short week with television bumping the game to a Friday night kickoff. One factor in SU’s favor, though, is UNLV has to replace quarterback Jayden Maiava, who transferred to USC in the offseason.

Only four ACC teams made the preseason coaches’ top 25 poll, with Florida State coming in at #10, Clemson standing at #14, Miami being voted #19, and North Carolina State landing at #22. Louisville just missed the top 25 by two spots with Virginia Tech and SMU right behind them. North Carolina picked up six points while the Orange garnered a single marker.

The most notable thing about that aforementioned list of eight conference foes is that five of them do not appear on SU’s slate. Of the three teams on that list who will lock horns with Syracuse, two come to the JMA Wireless Dome.
The ACC preseason media poll does not mirror the national poll results, as the Orange landed at 12th in the conference in that survey. That put SU in a cluster of four teams who picked up between 1095 and 1016 points that comprises the 10th through 13th spots on the list. California was the top of the group, then Duke, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh.

Of their eight ACC games, three come against the five teams who finished behind the Orange in that poll – Pitt, Boston College, and Stanford. Both teams in the contests with Pitt and Stanford will be coming off bye weeks prior to their games, while Boston College will have a week off before their trip to SU. California, who finished not far in front of Syracuse in that ACC poll, makes it half the conference slate among foes who are predicted to end the season in the bottom half of the standings.

2024 Syracuse Football Schedule

DATETIMEOPPONENTTV
8/313:30 p.m.OHIOACCN
9/712:00 p.m.GEORGIA TECHACCN
9/207:30 p.m.STANFORDESPN
9/2812:00 p.m.HOLY CROSSACCNX
10/49:00 p.m.@UNLVFS1
10/12TBD@NC StateTBD
10/247:30 p.m.@PittESPN
11/2TBDVIRGINIA TECHTBD
11/9TBD@Boston CollegeTBD
11/16TBD@CaliforniaTBD
11/23TBDCONNECTICUTTBD
11/30TBDMIAMITBD

*All times Eastern, time and TV coverage subject to change

(youtube; podcast; Syracuse Orange)
On the latest episode of Syracuse Sports, Brent Axe and Emily Leiker go in-depth on Fran Brown as a man in order to decipher how he will lead Syracuse football as its head coach.

Leiker's deeply reported profile on Brown lends some insight, but Brent and Emily examine what has stood since Brown took over as head coach 9 months ago. Emily also provides some behind-the-scenes insights from Brown, his friends and family that didn't make her story that may shine a light on how he'll be as a head coach.

Brent also examines how Brown taking over Syracuse football compares to past coaches like Dino Babers, Scott Shafer, Doug Marrone, Greg Robinson, in their first seasons.

Top-ranked NY recruit Javon Lawrence set to boost SU's 2025 class (DO; Collins)
Javon Lawrence patiently waited for an opportunity to play Division I football. He’d yet to receive an offer until March 3, 2024. That’s when a Syracuse assistant reached out to Lawrence, extending an offer.

Lawrence didn’t let it go to waste. He committed to the Orange three weeks later on March 25. Since committing to SU, Lawrence has shown immense growth, North Rockland head coach James Hickey said.

“Once this scholarship opportunity came in from coach Fran Brown, it just ignited a fire under him,” Hickey said. “…I’m super excited for him and his future, because he’s taken leaps and bounds in the last couple several months alone.”

Lawrence, a class of 2025 Syracuse football commit, is the No. 8 overall player in New York, according to 247sports. The 6-foot-2, 170-pound cornerback shined as a lockdown defender for North Rockland (New York). Though he’s also made a name for himself in track and field as a sprinter – Lawrence holds several school records across multiple events.

Since becoming a consistent starter as a freshman, Lawrence has been a standout in North Rockland’s secondary. As a junior, he recorded 30 tackles and deflected four passes across 10 games with the Red Raiders.

Despite his performances on the field, Lawrence was an under–the-radar recruit. During the offseason, he turned his focus to the indoor track season. He didn’t release his game tape on social media until January.

“I didn’t really focus on creating (game tape) too much since I was so locked in on track,” Lawrence said.

Syracuse’s offer came a couple of months later. Throughout SU’s pursuit of Lawrence, he focused on building stronger relationships with the coaching staff. When asked what led to his commitment to Syracuse, his answer was simple — Brown.

Lawrence finally met SU’s head coach during his official visit on June 21. He met with players and other members of the staff, but Lawrence’s conversation with Brown was the highlight.

“When I went up there he told me a lot and spoke to me as if I was already a part of the team,” Lawrence said.

Hickey echoed Lawrence’s praise for Brown. He thinks that under the former Georgia secondary coach, Lawrence will polish his skills and compete right away.

Prior to his commitment to Syracuse, Lawrence was attempting to get recruited for track and field as well, but no track coaches reached out to him. Despite having a spot on the football team, Lawrence hasn’t turned down the possibility of also running track at SU.

“I really do want to have the opportunity to do both at the next level,” Lawrence said

Lawrence’s talent on the track is undeniable. He holds all-time records for the 100-meter (10.76 seconds), 200-meter (21.85) , and 4×100 relay (41.50) races at North Rockland. Additionally, he was part of a relay team that placed first in the 4×200 (1:28.95) race at the 2024 Nike Indoor Nationals.

Both Lawrence and his high school track coach Orlando Rivera agree that football and track work hand-in-hand to better athletes in both sports. Lawrence said he’s always been fast, but since starting to run track in ninth grade, he’s seen a drastic speed improvement. Rivera echoed Lawrence’s sentiment, saying that his speed helped him get recruited to SU.

“I believe that one of the major reasons he was recruited to Syracuse was because of his track acumen,” Rivera said. “…A lot of what he’s taken from track and field has and will continue to carry over for the sport of football.”

In addition to playing two sports, Lawrence has taken on two positions for this upcoming season. His primary role has been cornerback, but he’ll also line up at receiver this season. On defense, Lawrence likes the intensity of being matched up one-on-one against receivers, and now, he’ll try to break down cornerbacks with his route-running.

Hickey feels Lawrence getting a different perspective on offense will in turn improve his defensive instincts. He said Lawrence will get a better idea of how receivers run their routes, improving his defensive capabilities. Rivera said Lawrence boasts the same fearlessness when he steps on the track for a meet as he does on the gridiron.

With one more year of high school, Lawrence wants to take full advantage to develop. After seeing practices at Syracuse, he said he still has a long way to go. But Lawrence trusts his development to become a contributor for the Orange.

“I’ve been working out in the gym and on the field, trying to get better and close in to be the better version of myself,” he says.

Central Florida high school football player D'Joni Scatliffe earns full-ride scholarship to Syracuse (fox35orlando.com; Eley)

A Central Florida high school football player is headed to Division I with a full-ride scholarship, capping off just a few years of hard work.

D'Joni Scatliffe, an East River High School senior, has achieved a remarkable feat, earning a scholarship to Syracuse University after only two years of playing football.

Scatliffe, who stands out on the field as an offensive tackle, moved to Florida two years ago from the British Virgin Islands. Initially a basketball player, his transition to football was swift and successful. "The coaches, the staff, everything was just amazing," Scatliffe said about his commitment to Syracuse.

East River Head Coach Adam Chappell recalls first hearing about Scatliffe’s potential.

"I got here, and they were like, 'Hey, there’s this guy who’s like 6'6"' I got some testing numbers from D1 sports, and he verted like 34 inches," Chappell said.

Despite the challenges of adjusting to life in the U.S., Scatliffe has not only embraced the sport but also emerged as a leader on the team. The Falcons consider themselves fortunate to have him on their roster as they kick off the season, starting 1-0 with a game at Lake Brantley this Friday.

Syracuse football week one depth chart vs Ohio (247sports.com; McAllister)
Syracuse football is set to embark on what promises to be one of the most intriguing seasons in program history. With the season opener just days away, the Orange released its depth chart for its week one matchup against Ohio.

The depth chart, listed below, includes some that many expected, a few surprises, some true freshmen, several transfers and a lot of "ORs."

SYRACUSE FOOTBALL WEEK ONE DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

PositionStarterBackup
QBKyle McCordMichael Johnson Jr. OR Carlos Del Rio-Wilson
RBLeQuint AllenYasin Willis OR Will Nixon
TEOronde GadsdenDan Villari
WRYazeed HaynesDarrell Gill
WRUmari HatcherJackson Meeks
WRTrebor PenaEmanuel Ross
LTDa'Metrius WeatherspoonJosh Miller OR Trevion Mack
LGJakob BradfordCodie Hornsby OR Lysander Moeolo
CJ'Onre ReedJosh Ilaoa
RGMark PetryJoe Cruz
RTSavion WashingtonEnrique Cruz OR Trevion Mack

DEFENSE

PositionStarterBackup
DEFadil DiggsDavid Omopariola OR KingJoseph Edwards
DTIsaiah Hastings ORMaraad Watson OR Kevin Jobity
DTTank Wilson ORRashard Perry OR Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff
DEDenis Jaquez ORChase Simmons OR Jahide Lesaine
MLBMarlowe WaxJames Heard
WLBDerek McDonaldAnwar Sparrow
CBClarence LewisJayden Bellamy OR Ibn McDaniels
SSAlijah ClarkCornell Perry OR Braheem Long
StarJustin BarronJaeden Gould
FSDuce ChestnutBerry Buxton
CBMarcellus Barnes ORDevin Grant

SPECIAL TEAMS

PositionStarterBackup
PKBrady DenaburgJackson Kennedy OR Jadyn Oh
PJack StonehouseJackson Kennedy
LSTom CallahanEthan Stangle OR Jacob Zuhr
KRTrevor Pena OR Malachi JamesLeQuint Allen OR Will Nixon
PRTrebor PenaLeQuint Allen OR Yazeed Haynes
Syracuse football: thoughts on the opening week depth chart (TNIAAM; Staff)
Yesterday afternoon, the Syracuse Orange released the depth chart for this week’s game against the Ohio Bobcats.

Of course the depth chart always leads to discussion, so let’s put out the TNIAAM roundtable.

What is the biggest surprise on this week’s depth chart?

Kevin: LeQuint Allen as a backup on both return units. I know Fran wants to use his starters on special teams, but with Allen’s importance to the offense, I’m surprised he’s listed as both a backup KR/PR. I can certainly see Allen used to return punts because he’s shown an ability to have sure hands and make good decisions, but I would be shocked if he’s retuning kick-offs with Malachi James on the roster.

Mike: Marcellus Barnes as a starting corner. Lewis was expected to start in my eyes, but the true freshman must have really impressed to beat out a returning starter and the Buffalo transfer Grant. There was praise for him all the way back in Spring camp so I wonder if another Duce-like rookie campaign is coming?

Dom: Part of this could be the senior- and junior- heavy o-line depth chart, but I was a little surprised seeing Enrique Cruz Jr. not listed as a starter. He allowed no sacks mainly playing left tackle last year, so you would think go with what works. On the other hand, you can never have too much o-line depth and I’m sure he’ll crack the rotation at some point.

Steve: The “OR” designations along the defensive line. While I expected some rotation, the “OR” designation is usually a too close to call maneuver. In this case, it seems like Fran is using it as a sign there’s going to be some moving and shaking along the D-line and that bodies will be running in and out and all around.

Syracuse Football: Delving into the week-one depth chart versus Ohio at the Dome (itlh; Adler)
The Fran Brown era as the new head coach of Syracuse football begins this Saturday afternoon when the Orange will host non-conference foe Ohio at the JMA Wireless Dome.

The 'Cuse fan base's anticipation and excitement over the 2024 season has been brewing for months now, and game day is nearly upon us.

As I noted in another column earlier this week, Syracuse football is a relatively large betting favorite versus the Bobcats, a Mid-American Conference ("MAC") member that won 10 contests a season ago, and a team that Brown isn't taking lightly one bit.

The week-one depth chart for the Orange has been released, per media reports from 247Sports' Mike McAllister and others. From my perspective, there are a lot of things in this depth chart that I expected, along with a few surprises. Let's discuss further.

Analyzing the week-one depth chart for Syracuse football against Ohio on the Hill.

Naturally, a lot of eyeballs focus on the quarterback position. Senior Kyle McCord, a four-star transfer from Ohio State, is of course listed as the starter, while the back-up listed is Florida Atlantic transfer Michael Johnson Jr. or returnee Carlos Del Rio-Wilson.

The Juice Online - Podcast: 2024 Syracuse Football Preview (r1vals.com; podcast)
We've reach the first week of the 2024 football season. Syracuse will host Ohio to kick off the season, and there's been plenty of buzz around the Orange in Central New York. Many are expecting 8-9 wins from the Orange, though earlier in the week, former SU offensive lineman and current radio color analyst Adam Terry said that a 6-6 season should be the standard.

Is that correct? We debated that on this The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by Rivals and Bleav. While there is inexperience on the offensive and defensive lines, there is talent at the skill positions and a quarterback that started every game for a College Football Playoff contender last year.

That, plus a more forgiving schedule that has no Power 4 teams in the non-conference portion and an ACC schedule that doesn't have powers FSU and Clemson, leaves Syracuse in a good position to exceed Terry's goal of six wins.
We also discuss the newly released depth chart, which has many true freshman peppered across both the offense and defense.

You can listen to our whole conversation by following “The Juice on the Cuse Podcast,” a Syracuse Orange podcast presented by https:///, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon, or wherever you get your podcasts.

Keeping Up With The 315 8-27-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)
Brian begins the show debating what is a successful first Syracuse football season under coach Fran Brown. Then he discusses the spring football transfer window and breaks down the last six SU starting quarterbacks injury history compared to Kyle McCord.
Kyle McCord "The 315" 8-27-24 (ESPN; radio; the 315)
Kyle McCord joins Brian Higgins to discuss his experience in the transfer portal, compare being at Ohio State to now Syracuse, praise his new target Oronde Gadsden, and more!

Amanda Christovich "The 315" 8-27-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)
Amanda Christovich of Front Office Sports joins Brian Higgins to entertain rumors of UCONN looking to join the Big 12, question whether or not the ACC would value UCONN, go over some of the new conference media deals, and more.
‘Cuse Militia Podcast: Episode 484- Syracuse Football: Ohio Preview! (bleav.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)
What's up Cuse Nation?!?! It's finally upon us. The start of the Syracuse football season!! We'll tell you what we know about the Bobcats. And maybe some of wat we don't know. Then, we'll hear your predictions before giving you ours!
EA SPORTS™ College Football 25 - SYRACUSE ORANGE DYNASTY - HOLIDAY BOWL VS WASHINGTON HUSKIES (youtube; simulation; HoleinOne)

EA SPORTS™ College Football 25 - SYRACUSE ORANGE DYNASTY - HOLIDAY BOWL VS WASHINGTON HUSKIES

EA SPORTS™ College Football 25 - DYNASTY WEEK 12 SYRACUSE ORANGE VS UCONN HUSKIES (youtube; simulation; HoleinOne)
EA SPORTS™ College Football 25 - DYNASTY WEEK 12 SYRACUSE ORANGE VS UCONN HUSKIES
Football: Everything to know before Ohio's season opener against Syracuse (thepostathens.com; Fadel)
Ohio’s season begins Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, New York when Ohio takes on non-conference opponent Syracuse.

The Bobcats are coming off a successful season that saw them win 10 games, including their bowl game victory at the Myrtle Beach Bowl against Georgia Southern. They will be looking to start their season off with an upset against a Power 4 team in Syracuse.

The Orange will be a tough test for the Bobcats; here is everything you need to know about Syracuse.

Head Coach

Saturday’s game is the first game that newly hired Syracuse head coach Fran Brown will coach for the Orange. He was hired in late November after the school fired coach Dino Babers, who finished his last season with the team with a record of 6-7, ending his eight-year tenure with the Orange.

Brown was previously the defensive backs coach for Georgia, where he won the 2023 SEC and national championships. The season opener against Ohio will be his first game as a head coach of a Division I program.

Quarterbacks

Syracuse landed one of the biggest names in the transfer portal as a quarterback during the offseason, bringing in former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord. The senior will enter his first year for the Orange and looks to show stability for himself and the team.

McCord entered the portal after spending last season as Ohio State’s starting quarterback. McCord put up decent numbers last season, throwing for 3,170 yards and 24 touchdowns. However, his downfall was an inability to come through in crucial moments, an example being his game-ending interception against Michigan.

McCord still has talent and a year of starting experience for one of the best programs in the country and should bring Syracuse some solid quarterback play.

Running Backs

LeQuint Allen returns for his junior season this year for Syracuse. As a sophomore, the running back had a good year in 2023 going for 1,064 yards and nine touchdowns. His stellar season earned him All-ACC honors at the end of the year. With another year of development, he could cause some problems on the ground for Ohio.

Wide Receivers

Syracuse hit the portal hard this offseason to rebuild the offense, bringing in not only a highly touted transfer quarterback but also two talented wide receivers to catch passes from McCord.

Fran Brown brought two former Georgia receivers to Syracuse, getting Jackson Meeks and Yazeed Haynes from the transfer portal. Neither player saw the field much for the Bulldogs last season, but they will be getting opportunities to shine for Syracuse this season.

Umari Hatcher also returns for the Orange after finishing second on the team in receiving yards last season with 482 yards and three touchdowns.

Defense

Syracuse was a middle-of-the-pack defense last season in the ACC, finishing 8th and 9th in scoring and yardage defense respectively. The team returns many key players in 2024, including its top four tacklers from last season with linebacker Marlowe Wax, safety Justin Barron, linebacker Derek McDonald and defensive back Alijah Clark.

These men have experience and a lot of talent. They should improve this season and Ohio will be a good litmus test for them to open up the season.

Former Syracuse star Sean Tucker makes Tampa Bay’s roster to open NFL season (PS; $; Carlson)
Former Syracuse football star Sean Tucker has made the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 53-man roster to open the NFL season after surviving the team’s cutdown day.

According to Gulflive.com, Tucker is one of three running backs that has made Tampa Bay’s initial 53-man roster along with Rachaad White and Bucky Irving.

White is the expected starter for Tampa Bay after rushing for 990 yards last season. Irving is a rookie who was drafted in the fourth round out of Oregon last year. Tucker played in 11 games during his rookie season but saw minimal time as a running back, carrying 15 times for 23 yards.

He has been excellent this preseason, carrying 21 times for 120 yards (5.7 yards per carry) in his effort to stick with the franchise.

Tucker beat out undrafted rookies Ramon Jefferson and D.J. WIlliams, two other running backs who were with the franchise until it made its final cuts.

Tucker played three seasons for the Orange. He owns Syracuse’s single-season rushing record, rushing for 1,496 yards in 2021. That broke Joe Morris’ record of 1,372 that was set in 1979.

Tucker’s 3,182 career rushing yards ranks third on SU’s all-time rushing yards list behind only Morris’ 4,299 and Walter Reyes’ 3,424.

Tucker was undrafted in 2023 despite his excellent Syracuse career, almost certainly because of a previously undiagnosed congenital heart condition that was discovered before the draft. The issue kept him from participating in the NFL Combine although he was eventually cleared to play and made Tampa Bay’s roster last season.

Video Operations Coordinator - New York, United States job with Syracuse University | 37707428 (jobs.chronicle.com)

Video Operations Coordinator
EmployerSyracuse UniversityLocationNew York, United StatesSalarySalary Not specifiedDate postedAug 27, 2024

Video Operations Coordinator

Job #:
Location Syracuse, NY
Pay Range: $21.86 - $23.77 Per Hour
Hours: Standard University business hours

8:30am - 5:00pm (academic year)
8:00am - 4:30pm (summer)
Hours may vary based on operational needs.
Job Type: Full-time

Job Description:
The Video Operations Coordinator will support the football creative video on all projects related to produced football content (internal and external). This individual will also complete various other tasks as assigned by the Director of Creative Media Strategy and the Head Coach.

Qualifications:

• Bachelors degree required.
  • One plus years of experience working in a Division I college football video department.

ACC News

Mark Packer on the ACC's 2024 Outlook, Week 0, Playoff Predictions, Heisman Odds | CFB Monday (youtube; podcast; College Football MONDAY)

Our national college football show is back at a new time, and with a new co-host. Sam Jessee will help Pete shoulder the load of CFB Monday in 2024. Join the guys every Monday night this season for nationwide CFB coverage with a VT slant.In the first episode of Season 2, Mark Packer joined the boys to help recap Week 0 and share his perspective on the ACC in 2024. Could this be the year the league finally earns some respect at the national level? Tune in to find out.
Friedlander: Florida State’s loss is everyone else’s gain in a suddenly wide open ACC race (saturdaydownsouth.com; Friedlander)
Even in the old days, you know, back when the College Football Playoff consisted of only 4 teams, 1 loss early in the season wasn’t a disqualifying blemish on a team’s postseason resume.

As Alabama and Texas both proved a year ago.

So it’s a little amusing, though not entirely unexpected, to see the overreaction on social media of those already writing off Florida State because of Saturday’s upset at the hands of Georgia Tech.

It’s as if the Seminoles’ season is already circling the bowl. And we haven’t even gotten to Week 1 yet.

While losing to a conference opponent in the opening game isn’t the optimal way to start any season, there’s still too much football to be played to determine just how damaging the slow start might be.
Especially with the elimination of divisional play in the ACC.

All a team has to do is finish 2nd in the league to get a shot at the conference title and the all-but-automatic bid to the newly expanded Playoff in Charlotte on Dec. 7. And there’s a realistic possibility that a team with 2 league losses could get in this year because of the ACC’s improved depth and balance.

Still, with the preseason favorite to repeat its 2023 championship now starting with an early disadvantage and suddenly looking vulnerable, the door to the championship game has been swung wide open for any number of potential contenders.

You think the vibe of the Democratic National Convention changed the moment the old guy pulled out of the race and the new kids on the block invited Lil’ Jon, Pink that guitarist jamming from her back to their party?

Aidan Birr’s game-winning 44-yard field goal in Dublin, Ireland on Saturday had just as seismic an impact on every upwardly mobile ACC contender with realistic hopes of replacing their old guard at the top of the conference ticket.

An indication of how much the dynamic of the conference race has changed, FSU’s odds to repeat as champions have dropped from No. 1 in the league to No. 4, according to ESPN Bets . The Seminoles are at now at +600, behind new favorite Clemson (+260), Miami (+375) and NC State (+550).

ACC football power rankings: Where does Florida State fall after Week 0 loss? (usatoday.com; Patton)

It wasn’t a great first day of college football action for the ACC – outside of Georgia Tech fans. The conference’s presumed favorite, the Florida State Seminoles, fell to the Yellow Jackets in Ireland to kick off the season in unceremonious fashion.

Later that afternoon SMU, a newcomer hoping to prove themselves in the ACC, narrowly escaped from a Nevada program that went 4-20 the past two seasons as a cellar dweller in the Mountain West.

Despite FSU’s loss and a near disaster for the Mustangs, the ACC remains in a solid spot for the 2024 season. Dabo Swinney and Clemson have a huge opportunity to take down No. 1 Georgia this Saturday, while teams like NC State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Miami could all be in the running for a spot in the expanded College Football Playoffs.

With Week 0 in the books and a huge slate of games coming this week/weekend, we reveal our power rankings for the ACC and how far Florida State dropped now that they are 0-1 to begin the campaign:

1 Clemson Tigers

Swinney’s offense is still questionable, and won’t get an easy test with Georgia first on the schedule, but the Tigers do have an outstanding defense with Peter Woods, TJ Parker, and Barrett Carter all back in orange – and it could be enough to get them back to the CFP.

2 NC State Wolfpack

The talent on NC State’s roster is undeniable, especially with Grayson McCall coming over from Coastal Carolina where he posted an otherworldly 88-to-14 touchdown-to-interception ratio.
If coach Dave Doeren can maximize McCall’s talent, and gel this roster made up of many transfers, they could compete for a top three spot in the ACC and perhaps a spot in the CFP.

3 Louisville Cardinals

People forget that Louisville played for an ACC championship just last season under coach Jeff Brohm, a fact lost in the shuffle of FSU’s absence from the CFP. Brohm is back and veteran quarterback Tyler Shough is there as well, and if he can stay healthy this team could be back in a similar position as last year – where a win could land the Cardinals in the playoffs.

4 Miami Hurricanes

Is this Mario’s year? The talent is there, the resources are there, the path to a spot in the CFP is there, but the big question is whether Cristobal can actually get this talented team to win enough close games to finish at or near the top of the ACC standings.

5 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

1-0. The Yellow Jackets flew across the world and upset the No. 10 ranked team in the nation, getting it down against the ‘Noles by pounding the ball on the ground.

Haynes King is the star, but if Georgia Tech can keep running the ball that effectively all year long they could really surprise some people this season – if they haven’t already.

6. Florida State Seminoles

Lawsuits, frustration, and more plagued Florida State this offseason, and it all resulted in a disastrous Week 0 loss to Georgia Tech. The ‘Noles are still an extremely talented team, and could easily push their way back to the top of the standings and into the CFP, but the path got a heck of a lot harder after Saturday’s loss.

7 Virginia Tech Hokies

Virginia Tech’s offense was explosive down the stretch last year, with three 40+ point performances in the final month. They retain just about everyone from that squad, and if they can keep the train going they’ll compete at the top of the ACC all year long.

8 North Carolina Tar Heels

No Drake Maye is a huge blow for a North Carolina team that was routinely in the top 25 last year, but the ‘Heels do return star running back Omarion Hampton and have an improved defense, which could keep them in the running for bowl eligibility all year long.

9 Syracuse Orange

New coach Fran Brown comes to Syracuse with a new quarterback up his sleeve in Kyle McCord. Can the duo get this program back to prominence on the gridiron? Time will tell, but the excitement around the Orange program is far higher than usual.

10 California Golden Bears

Cal is the highest ranked newcomer to the ACC, thanks in part to SMU’s ugly performance on Saturday, but they have a lot of work to do to compete for a top spot in the conference. Jaydn Ott is a strong All-American candidate, but can the rest of the offense – and the defense – do enough to get this team to six+ wins?

11 SMU Mustangs

Preston Stone and SMU were expected to be a high octane offense in their first ACC season, but they did not look the part whatsoever against Nevada. There is of course plenty of time to turn things around, but expectations are tempered after Game 1.

12 Boston College Eagles

Boston College brought in former NFL coach Bill O’Brien to lead the program, and quarterback Thomas Castellanos believes the development is “the best thing that ever happened to me”.
If he’s right, this team could be rocketing up these rankings.

13 Pitt Panthers

Offensive Coordinator Kade Bell brings a much faster offense to Pitt, and if quarterback Nate Yarnell adjusts well to the new system things could be trending in the right direction for the Panthers under coach Pat Narduzzi.

14 Duke Blue Devils

Duke rebuilt both the offensive and defensive lines this offseason, and that can make things pretty difficult especially in the early going. If former Miami head coach and Penn State DC Manny Diaz can get this train rolling early, perhaps the Blue Devils will climb as the year goes on.

15 Stanford Cardinal

Troy Taylor has endured growing pains in his young tenure with Stanford, but the Cardinal bring uber-talented wide receiver Elic Ayomanor over to the ACC. A wicked travel schedule and question marks all over the roster make this look like a tough year for Stanford.

16 Wake Forest Demon Deacons

The offense was in a bad place last year for the Demon Deacons under Dave Clawson, and while few believe it will be that problematic again in 2024 – we need to see it to believe it.

17 Virginia Cavaliers

Virginia has an absolutely brutal schedule, and while they were in a bunch of games last year – losing five games by seven or less – this young roster is going to struggle against the best of the ACC all year long.

2024 TV Ratings, Week 0 (RX; HM)

2024 TV Ratings, Week 0

What do you get when you take an all-ACC matchup like Florida State vs Georgia Tech and put it on TV with basically zero competition? You get this...

Even Gameday broke records.
____
From the official ACC release...

Week 0 TV Viewership Love

The 2024 college football season opener between Georgia Tech and No. 10 Florida State in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic Game in Dublin, Ireland, Week 0 on August 24 had 5.0 million viewers.
Comparing 2024 Preseason Rankings (RX; HM)

Comparing 2024 Preseason Rankings

From BlessYourChart:

104: Dispersion

A look at teams that three different college football preseason power ratings agree and disagree on (here are a few excerpts - click the title link to read it all!)

Teams every preseason poll seemed to agree on:

Notre Dame (9th in SP+, 7th in KFORD, 6th in FEI)
Clemson (16th, 14th, and 13th)

Everyone agrees the Irish and the Tigers will both be good, with the Irish probably being better.

Teams that the preseason polls disagreed on:

Miami (19th in SP+, 17 in KFORD, but 37th in FEI)
Nobody knows what to do with the Hurricanes. They've had talent for years but underachieved each season. Will this year be another disappointment, or the year the "U" is finally "back"?

2024 Preseason ACC Power Ratings:

Team/SchoolSP+KFORDFEIAvg.
Notre Dame9767.3
Florida St12101913.7
Clemson16141314.3
Miami19173724.3
Louisville31212525.7
S.M.U.27274031.3
NC State29284233.0
N Carolina40413538.7
Virginia Tech36394841.0
Duke51594351.0
Georgia Tech58486958.3
Pittsburgh66556562.0
Wake Forest74686468.7
Syracuse67568970.7
Boston Coll.73628573.3
Virginia78747074.0
Stanford77758779.7

These predictors all believe that...

1. Notre Dame will be an at-large team, albeit possibly the 11th seed.
2. Clemson should finish in the Top 25.
3. Miami, Louisville, and SMU are all capable to finishing in the Top 25 - or they could finish unranked (they are all around #25).
4. NC State, N Carolina, Virginia Tech, Duke, and Georgia Tech are all probably good enough to make some noize, but they'll probably all end up unranked and playing in a minor bowl.
5. Pitt, Wake, and Syracuse are maybe bowl teams.
6. BC, UVA, and Stanford are rehearsing for 2025.

2024 ACC Football Week 1 Picks and Predictions (youtube; podcast; WahooBrad)

2024 ACC Football Week 1 Picks and Predictions

2024 Week 1 Games Ranked (Athlon) (RX; HM)

2024 Week 1 Games Ranked (Athlon)

From AthlonSports: Ranking All 96 Games for Week 1 of the 2024 College Football Season

Here are the ACC-related games:

73. Elon at Duke (Fri., Aug. 30 at 7:30 p.m. ET)

Manny Diaz's debut should be a successful one against an Elon team that went 6-5 last season. This game is also a tune-up chance for new quarterback and Texas transfer Maalik Murphy and several new starters on both sides of the ball.

72. North Carolina A&T at Wake Forest (Thu., Aug. 29 at 7 p.m. ET)

Wake Forest should have little trouble with North Carolina A&T (1-10 last year) on Thursday night. But this matchup does have intrigue with the Demon Deacons exiting fall practice with uncertainty at quarterback. Will Louisiana Tech transfer Hank Bachmeier win the starting job?

69. UC Davis at California (Sat., Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. ET)

California defeated UC Davis 34-13 in the 2022 season opener and should take care of business in the '24 rematch. The Aggies are projected to finish near the bottom of the Big Sky under new coach (and former Cal assistant) Tim Plough this fall, so the Golden Bears have an easy path to 1-0 in their first season of ACC play.

68. Houston Christian at SMU (Sat., Aug. 31 at 8 p.m. ET)

SMU used 16 points in the fourth quarter to rally for a 29-24 win over Nevada in Week Zero. Coach Rhett Lashlee has plenty to work on after the close call in Reno, but the Mustangs should find the going a little easier in Week 1 against Houston Christian.

61. Austin Peay at Louisville (Sat., Aug. 31 at Noon ET)

A favorable slate to start '24 (Austin Peay and Jacksonville State) will allow Louisville coach Jeff Brohm to work out some of the offensive issues that hovered over this team in fall practice. Expect transfer quarterback Tyler Shough to have a big day through the air against the Governors.

52. Western Carolina at NC State (Thur., Aug. 29 at 7 p.m. ET)

The arrival of a handful of transfers - including quarterback Grayson McCall and a couple of skill players - should add up to a much-improved NC State offense in '24. Seeing how McCall performs in his Wolfpack debut with a looming showdown against Tennessee up next is the main reason to check this one out on Thursday night.

51. Richmond at Virginia (Sat., Aug. 31 at 6 p.m. ET)

The Spiders have only defeated their in-state rival Virginia one time (2016) over 11 all-time matchups. The Cavaliers were more competitive in coach Tony Elliott's second season in '23, but wins need to follow this year with a 6-16 record in Charlottesville. Elliott named Anthony Colandrea as the team's starting quarterback prior to Week 1, and the sophomore is a player to watch after a promising '23 debut.

Top 50

46. Kent State at Pitt (Sat., Aug. 31 at Noon ET)

After struggling mightily on offense last year, Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi made big-time changes to this group. Saturday's opener against Kent State (1-11 last season and projected at the bottom of the MAC in '24) is a chance for new play-caller Kade Bell to showcase the Panthers' up-tempo/spread attack in a favorable spot.

31. Georgia State at Georgia Tech (Sat., Aug. 31 at 8 p.m. ET)

Georgia Tech won't have much time to celebrate its Week Zero win over Florida State. Coach Brent Key's squad returns to action on Saturday night against a rebuilding - but motivated in-state foe - Georgia State. The Panthers return 11 starters off last year's seven-win squad but have a new coach (Dell McGee) and enter the opener with uncertainty at quarterback. If the Yellow Jackets win this one, Key's team should join the top 25 rankings prior to Week 2.

21. Ohio at Syracuse (Sat., Aug. 31 at 3:30 p.m. ET)

A pair of debuts for Syracuse - coach Fran Brown and quarterback Kyle McCord (Ohio State transfer) - provide plenty of intrigue for this MAC-ACC showdown. Ohio knocked off Iowa State (10-7) last year but returns only four starters from a team that won 10 games. With a key showdown against Georgia Tech in Week 2, a fast start against the Bobcats should give Brown's team early confidence going into a crucial ACC matchup.

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Aug 27 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Aug 27

From BlackShoeDiaries, "Penn State-West Virginia Is The Most Expensive CFB Week 1 Ticket"

According to ESPN and VivdSeats, the Nittany Lions’ August 31 clash with West Virginia is the priciest ticket on the week one college football slate. The most expensive matchups, before fees, are:
No. 8 Penn State @ West Virginia: $239
No. 7 Notre Dame @ No. 20 Texas A&M: $191
No. 19 Miami @ Florida: $161
No. 23 USC @ No. 12 LSU (Neutral Site): $129
No. 14 Clemson @ No. 1 Georgia: $117

_____
From Athlon Sports email/newsletter of Monday, 2024.08.26

College football’s “Week 0” doesn’t often deliver the most exciting or meaningful matchups. That was not the case on Saturday, with three of the four games featuring FBS teams providing some serious drama.
Georgia Tech kicked off the season in style, stunning No. 10 Florida State with a last-second field goal to win the game at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland. New Mexico, an underdog to FCS power Montana State, jumped ahead 31-14, only to give up 21 unanswered fourth-quarter points to fall 35-31. New ACC member SMU needed a late comeback to beat Nevada (2-10 in 2023), going up 29-24 on a Preston Stone to RJ Maryland touchdown pass with 1:18 left in the game.
Florida State’s loss has real ramifications for the College Football Playoff race. The Seminoles entered the season as the favorite to win the ACC, which would secure them a top four seed in the College Football Playoff. Their loss to Georgia Tech muddies the picture, and teams like Clemson, Miami and N.C. State are eager to take advantage.
Of course, the 12-team Playoff also gives Florida State the ability to bounce back from a rough August loss. Even if the Seminoles don’t rebound to win the ACC, a strong finish will keep them in the running for an at-large spot. Mike Norvell and his staff have plenty of work to do, though, after an ugly offensive performance that resulted in just 291 total yards and two touchdowns

2024 Previews: Notre Dame, Pitt and UVa (RX; HM)

2024 Previews: Notre Dame, Pitt and UVa
Our next trio of schools includes a top national brand and part-time ACC football team, a university with a top-flight medical school, and UVA...

Notre Dame

From OneFootDown: 3 expectations for Notre Dame Football’s 2024 season

The offensive line is going to struggle in College Station.
...one of the biggest strengths of the Texas A&M Aggies will be their defensive front...
Keeping the hardware.
Notre Dame is in possession of all of its rivalry trophies, and I expect them to continue to hold on to the three that are up for grabs this season (Purdue Boilermakers — Shillelagh Trophy, Stanford Cardinal — Legends Trophy, and USC Trojans — Jeweled Shillelagh).
Fighting for position.
I’ll save you the suspense — I do expect Notre Dame to go 12-0 this season. They have a very manageable schedule (to say the least) and the combination of an elite defense with a real offensive play caller in Mike Denbrock should take care of every team in front of them. I do, however, expect a battle for the 5 seed...

Hey, the author basically just insulted Louisville, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Virginia when he called the schedule "very manageable" - and then rubbed it in by writing "to say the least". Time for some payback, you ACC five!

Other

Day 8 at the NYS Fair: Today’s handpicked menu and schedule (PS; Miller)

Tuesday was Beef Day at the State Fair, and 52,285 folks walked through the gates to celebrate.

For the first time ever, the New York Beef Council sponsored a charcuterie board competition.

Three finalists who make these grazing appetizers for a living created snack boards in front of a crowd at the back of Chevy Court. Four judges ranked their entries on creativity, presentation, taste and use of beef produced in New York State.

Colette Kelly of Corning took first place, beating her competitors by just ¼ a point. She owns Amazing Graze. The other two competitors were Olivia Orlando of Cafe Blue in Syracuse and Anna Sofer of She Fancy in New Hartford.

After the awards ceremony, Fair visitors got to graze through these appetizer boards. Within 5 minutes, all had been picked clean.

Today is Women’s Day, and you can experience the Total Chaos Rodeo Drill Team inside the Toyota Coliseum. With shows at 1 and 5 p.m., fairgoers can watch a team of talented women on horseback. They’ll perform freestyle, flag and parade routines.

Today’s Menu

I’m at the Fair every day and night, and hey, a guy’s gotta eat (and drink). I write about food and drinks for syracuse.com and The Post-Standard, so I might as well as pass suggestions onto you while I’m working here. That said, I’m no expert. I rely on readers to tell me what’s good. If you find something that makes your tummy happy, text me at 315-382-1984 and I’ll give it a shot. I might join you for a meal or drink and pick up the tab.

A meal for two: The chicken quesadilla at Nancy’s Pita looks like something I’d make at home, but good. Nancy Karre and her family have been running this stand here for 47 years. They’re located next to the Shamrock bar across from the Midway, perfect for one last stop after the Suburban Park concert.

The base is marinated chicken breast. As Chris Bagnato, Nancy’s son, tosses the chicken around the grill, he’ll ask you to pick the cheese: mozzarella, cheddar or feta.

“All three, please.”

He’ll ask if you’d like a few onions, peppers, mushrooms, jalapeño, banana peppers?

“More than a few of each, Chris.”

Sour cream and salsa?

“C’mon, Chris. What do you think?”

That’s how it works. It’s quick, and it’s fresh. Probably some of the best bar food ever.

DMHL5LYXQ5HQ3NNNCRYQJRQ7KE.jpg

This Villa Pizze Fritte purchased by syracuse.com at the 2024 New York State Fair Tuesday measured about 20 inches, although the bag bills it as a '2 footer.' . Cazentre

A NY State Fair ‘size matters’ controversy: How big is that Pizze Fritte anyway? (PS; $; Cazentre)
At one point this week, it seemed like it could become the biggest scandal in New York State Fair history.

The legendary Villa Pizze Fritte, billed for 60 years as a 2-foot length of sugary fried dough, seems to be shrinking, according to several users of the Where Syracuse Eats Facebook group.

“Really Pizza [sic] Villa?? Over 2 feet? More like 16 inches,” Stacey Gibbs wrote in a post Monday that was accompanied by a photo showing a Pizze Fritte next to a tape measure. (It should be noted that the photo in question showed the starting end of the tape positioned about two inches past the starting end of the dough).

The post generated more than 500 comments (and spilled over into other CNY food groups). Many joined in the outrage, and others defended the Pizze Fritte, voted by syracuse.com last year as the No. 1 entry in our State Fair Food Hall of Fame.

Some commenters called it “shrinkflation” and said something advertised as two feet should, in fact, be two feet. Others wondered what the fuss was about, or argued that the taste and texture of the $5 frittes are all that matters.

On Tuesday, a syracuse.com reporter armed with a tape measure ventured to the famed purple A-frame building where Pizze Frittes are made to sort out the long and the short of it.

We measured about half a dozen fresh-made frittes. None came to a full two feet (24 inches). All were more than 20 inches, a few as much as 22 or 23 inches. Some were thicker than others and some had more curves or bulges.

None of the frittes we saw stuck out of the end of the paper bag, which a few commenters remembered as a hallmark of the “old” Pizze Frittes. (The wording on the bags themselves boast of the “2-footer” frittes).
IIT2ZRT7QZGLRONEPOAKJF4QLQ.jpg

A slice of pepperoni pizza from Twin Trees on Restaurant Row at the New York State Fair. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

CNY Pizza Tour, stop #34: What do you expect from heat-lamp pizza at the NYS Fair? (PS; $; Miller)
We get just 13 days out of a year to eat State Fair food. Come next Tuesday, no more Pickle Barrel beef tips, Bacon Bombs, Peachey’s donuts or smoked turkey legs from some guy in North Carolina. Yes, you can always get a sausage sandwich and gyro, but they don’t taste the same as those on Restaurant Row.

My question to you is this: Why would anyone come to the Fairgrounds and stand in line for a slice of sad-looking pepperoni pizza? Central New York has exceptional pizza outside these 375 acres in Geddes. Visit those in the other 352 days.

I had to take a break from the area’s best pizzerias this week because I’m stuck at the Fair, but since I’m here anyway, I might as well see how the pizza compares. We can call this week’s chapter the “CNY Pizza Tour (State Fair edition).”

NOTE: I am not including Toss & Fire at Chevy Court because that’s wood-fired pizzas made to order from a specially designed State Fair menu. We’ve had them, and they’re exceptional, so that would be unfair. We went looking for pizza under a heat lamp that, for some odd reason, still draw a crowd.

Anyway, let’s put down our 25-cent chocolate milk and grab some overpriced slices ...

Twin Trees

What I ate: 1 slice of pepperoni pizza

Why this pizza? Because I had two choices, this or plain cheese, and I needed protein.

RATINGS (out of 5)

Crust: 3/5
. Twin Trees uses the same recipe and ingredients at the State Fair stand as it does in the Cicero, North Syracuse and Camillus restaurants. They do, however, take a different approach to their crust, I’m told. It is made on-site, but they have to change the process slightly because of the heat surrounding this stand.

NYS Fair forecast for Day 8: Test your luck with the weather (and consider a jacket) (PS; $; Kirk)

The chance of precipitation has decreased to 30% and the rain was most likely before 7 a.m..

If you’re heading to the New York State Fair for Day 8 you will be testing your luck - and not just with the games.

There’s a chance of storms in the forecast for Wednesday.

The storms are possible before 4 p.m., with a 50% chance of precipitation, according to a forecast from the National Weather Service. There will be a bit of wind blowing at 6 to 8 mph, officials said. The high will be around 77 degrees.

In the evening the temperature will drop to 58 degrees, officials said. The slight wind will continue into the evening.

The storms and lower temperatures come the day after a high of 89 degrees.

Over 388,000 people have flocked to the fair so far this year, fair officials said.