Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
to-the-metric-system-sheldon-cooper.gif size=800

Welcome to National Metric Day!

National Metric Day is celebrated on October 10th, and is part of National Metric Week, which runs from October 10–14. The day recognizes the metric system, its history, and its benefits.

Here are some facts about the metric system and National Metric Day:

• The date
    The day is celebrated on October 10th because 10/10, and the number 10 is important to the metric system.
  • The origins
    The metric system originated in 1586 when Simon Stevin, a Flemish mathematician, published a pamphlet called De Thiende ("the tenth").
    • The base units
      The base units of the metric system are the meter for length, the kilogram for mass, and the liter for volume.
    • The Celsius unit
      The metric system also includes the Celsius unit for measuring temperature.
    • The United States
      The metric system became the preferred system for weights and measures in trade in the United States in 1988.
SU News

Opponent Preview: What to know before SU battles NC State (DO; Andrews)

Syracuse football looks formidable once again. Preseason expectations hit a roadblock in Week 4, when the Orange fell to lowly Stanford at home. Now, though, they’re well on track to one of their best seasons in recent history. A 44-41 road victory over then-No. 25 UNLV — SU’s second ranked win in five games of the Fran Brown era — is the latest turning point.

The Orange are back to receiving votes in the AP Top 25 Poll, garnering six in this week’s edition. Another Atlantic Coast Conference win, and another road triumph, would only help its quest back into the top 25 as SU takes on North Carolina State for its sixth game of 2024.

Here’s what to know before Syracuse (4-1, 1-1 ACC) takes on NC State (3-3, 0-2 ACC) Saturday evening in Raleigh:

All-time series

NC State leads, 13-3.

Last time they played …

Syracuse’s student section stormed the JMA Wireless Dome turf on Oct. 15, 2022, when the then-No. 18 Orange downed then-No. 15 NC State 24-9. The win put SU at 6-0, its best start to a campaign since 2018.

In between an early first-quarter Oronde Gadsden II touchdown and a late third-quarter score from the tight end, Syracuse was held out of the end zone for 42 minutes. But its defense throttled the Wolfpack, limiting them to just 255 offensive yards and not allowing them to reach the end zone. Jatius Geer tallied 1.5 sacks, while Marlowe Wax totaled a game-high 10 tackles to lead SU’s defense.

The Wolfpack report

The Wolfpack are winless thus far in conference play, most recently falling to Wake Forest at home. In that contest, starting quarterback Grayson McCall suffered a frightening collision with three Demon Deacon defenders, causing him to be ruled out for the game.

Freshman backup quarterback CJ Bailey is set to start in place of McCall, as a short-handed NC State bunch must try to match an explosive SU offense. For Bailey to contend with quarterback Kyle McCord’s group, he will have to attack Syracuse’s second level.

The Orange have struggled to defend the middle of the field since Wax sustained a leg injury in Week 1. UNLV made a living off short and intermediate passes as well as extending the field with quarterback runs. The 6-foot-6 Bailey may have to take advantage of that Saturday.

Yet, it may be tough for the Wolfpack to get past their defensive problems. They give up nearly 34 points per game, among the worst scoring defenses SU has faced this year.

How Syracuse beats NC State

McCord has been tearing up defenses and breaking records along the way. He’s the first player in program history to throw five straight 300-plus-yard games to start a season. McCord is a top-five passer in the Football Bowl Subdivision, ranking fourth with 1,814 passing yards.

Though at some point, he has to slow down. McCord has thrown at least 39 passes in every contest with Syracuse thus far. Saturday poses a chance for SU to further establish the ground game. NC State lets up 160.3 rushing yards per game, so LeQuint Allen Jr. and Yasin Willis need to exploit that.

Syracuse’s defense should fare just fine against the Wolfpack. For it to win, it needs to get out to a fast start and limit avoidable mistakes with turnovers and special teams gaffes. If the Orange can accomplish those things, they can let their running game carry them the rest of the way. Willis is coming off of his best day in Division I against UNLV, and with Allen Jr. a little banged up, the freshman running back should receive plenty of touches and produce well.

Beat writers agree Syracuse will defeat NC State (DO; Staff)

For the first time under head coach Fran Brown, Syracuse went on the road, traveling to the West Coast for a nonconference bout with then-No. 25 UNLV.

The Orange led 14-0 but UNLV didn’t back down. SU needed a game-tying touchdown from Jackson Meeks in the final minute of regulation to force overtime. There, Syracuse pulled through with a sack by Fadil Diggs, followed by a walk-off touchdown from LeQuint Allen Jr., his fourth score of the game, clinching a 44-41 win over the Rebels.

After its fourth win of the season, Syracuse returns to Atlantic Coast Conference play. The Orange will travel to Raleigh, North Carolina, to take on NC State in a primetime contest. The Wolfpack are winless in conference play and sit near the bottom of the ACC standings.

Here’s how our beat writers think Syracuse (4-1, 1-1 ACC) will fare against NC State (3-3, 0-2 ACC) Saturday night:

Aiden Stepansky (3-2)
Raleigh revival
Syracuse 38, NC State 28

Last week, for the first time this season, I picked against Syracuse. While I’m confident I’ll pick against SU at least a few more times, that isn’t the case this week.

Syracuse is now into the heart of its schedule, starting a five-game ACC stretch with its trip to Raleigh. This team proved to me last week what they’re truly capable of. It won’t always be pretty. But through Kyle McCord’s arm, the Orange will find a way.

NC State’s question mark at quarterback versus McCord is the defining factor. McCord’s been lethal, taking what defenses are giving and exploiting them. Sixty-three passing attempts is a gaudy number. But who cares if it leads to a win?

The victory over UNLV also saw the increased usage of Allen Jr. and Yasin Willis, which makes Syracuse’s potent offense even more difficult to stop. Five games into the season, Jeff Nixon’s offense is beginning to find a balance and a groove.

Raleigh has been a house of horrors for the Orange. Dino Babers never won there and Syracuse has lost its last four road games versus NC State. The last time SU won in Raleigh, Cooper, Justin and I were all in third grade. This week, I see a Raleigh revival, with Brown winning his first ACC road game. It will likely come down to the fourth quarter again. But I see SU pulling away and heading into the second bye week off a win.

Cooper Andrews (3-2)
Postgame Bojangles
Syracuse 34, NC State 19

While I was covering Syracuse’s overtime win over UNLV in Las Vegas last Friday, after exiting Allegiant Stadium’s visiting team press conference room, SU’s players were excited. It wasn’t just because they defeated the Rebels, but there was also a buffet of Raising Cane’s that players snacked on as a victory meal.

Following what should be another win Saturday in Raleigh, I’ll be expecting to see a horde of Bojangles — a North Carolina favorite — served up postgame.

Though I don’t think Syracuse’s battle with NC State will be close. With Grayson McCall injured after suffering a scary head injury against Wake Forest last week, freshman backup quarterback CJ Bailey stands a slim chance to match SU’s high-flying offense.

McCord is already the first player in Syracuse history to throw for five straight 300-yard passing games, and has thrown over 40 passes in every contest but one this season. And it’s worked, with the Orange ranking as the 16th-highest graded offense in the country, per Pro Football Focus. From a sheer volume standpoint, that’ll be nearly impossible for an inexperienced quarterback to keep up with.

The planner behind Syracuse's explosive offense (spectrumlocalnews.com; video; Velazquez)

Five games into the season and Syracuse football has a 4-1 record coming off their second-ranked win of the year against UNLV. The Orange's offense has been the strength of the team, averaging 36 points per game. While the Orange have talented players all over the field, first-year offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon is turning all that potential into points.

Coming into the season, we knew the Syracuse Orange had plenty of talent on offense. Through five games, it’s translated into an explosive unit. After putting up a season-high 44 points against UNLV, the Orange are third in the nation in passing yards per game.

The man calling the plays, Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon, is getting the most out of everyone.

“We pride ourselves on trying to get our players in the best position possible to win a particular game,” said Nixon, a 27-year veteran with coaching experience at the NFL and collegiate levels.

It’s a journey that started as a graduate assistant for Penn State in 1997. He’s had a dozen stops along the way, coaching running backs, tight ends and wide receivers. Now, he’s with Syracuse after being the running backs coach for the New York Giants last year.

“I’ve been with a lot of great coaches who I've learned from and who have kind of influenced, you know, my career," Nixon said. "And in that offense, you know, offenses that I've had a chance to coordinate."

He’s learned from some of the best coaches in the world, including Andy Reid, Chip Kelly and Brian Daboll. This is his third stint as an offensive coordinator. He was the interim offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers in 2021. All of that experience has helped shaped his mindset as a playcaller.

“Just, like, to be aggressive. We want to attack the defense, whether it’s in the run or pass game,” he said.

The aggressiveness is clear.

Kyle McCord leads the nation in pass attempts, is second in passing touchdowns and fourth in yards. The Orange are averaging more than six yards per play, a significant improvement from their 4.8 mark last year.

“That’s what we’re pushing," said Syracuse Football Head Coach Fran Brown. "It's all about winning. It's about the S. I think his offense fits who Syracuse is, and it just shows you who he’s been throughout his career. And that’s why I wanted him to come here.”

What’s helped Nixon find success is his ability to adapt and learn from others. To do that, he goes back to some old friends.

“I enjoy watching, obviously, coach Reid and the Chiefs. They’re pretty cutting edge. I worked four years with Ben Johnson over in Detroit. He’s probably one of the top coordinators around right now,” Nixon said.

5 Things to Know: Syracuse at NC State - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Syracuse travels to NC State for a Saturday primetime matchup with the Wolfpack on ACCN. Here's five things to know about the game:

1. On the Road Again
This will be the Orange's second of three-straight road games. The Orange are in the midst of playing five-of-six games away from the JMA Dome.

Tickets for any of the three remaining home games this season are on sale now at Cuse.com/Tickets.

2. Ranked Wins
'Cuse is coming off a win at No. 25 UNLV last week. It was their second ranked win of the season, the first time since 2001 that a 'Cuse team has defeated two teams in the AP Top-25 at the time of their matchup.

It was also the Orange's first ranked road win since the 2010 season.

3. McCord Putting Up Numbers
Star quarterback Kyle McCord has been as good as advertised through his first-five games.

This week, he has already been named to the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Top-25, a Manning Award Star of the Week and a member of the Davey O'Brien Award Great 8.

He leads the nation in completions per game (30.8), and his 17 touchdown passes rank second nationally to Cam Ward, who has played one more game. He also ranks fourth in passing yards (1,814) and second in yards per game (326.8). He's also fourth nationally in points responsible for (21.6 points per game) and fifth in total offense (364.0 yards per game).
Skip Ad

McCord's 17 touchdown passes are already the 10th-highest single-season total in school history and ranks 15th for a career. He's the first player in school history to throw for 300+ yards in five-straight games. Only Ryan Nassib (6 – 2012) and Eric Dungey (6 – 2016) have more 300-yard passing games in a single season.

4. Tough Environment
Carter-Finley Stadium, the always tough road venue, is sold out for Saturday's game. 'Cuse is seeking their first win at NC State since 2013 after having lost each of the last-four. NC State is 25-5 at home over the last five seasons.

5. ACC Starts
A win on Saturday would move the Orange to 2-1 in league play, tying the second-best start to the season since joining the conference in 2013. The 2022 squad opened 3-0 in conference play, while the 2017 team went 2-1.

LeQuint Allen embodies what Fran Brown wants his Syracuse team to be: ‘He’s the passion of our program' (PS; $; Leiker)

Whenever scientists successfully create a machine to clone humans, someone call Syracuse football coach Fran Brown.

He has someone he might want to use it on.

“If I could just take one person and have every single other kid on our football team act and be just who he is, it would be LeQuint Allen,” Brown said Monday.

Allen, Syracuse’s starting running back, rushed 19 times for 72 yards and two touchdowns, plus had nine catches for 58 yards and another pair of scores, in the Orange’s upset win on the road at UNLV on Friday night.

He put up those numbers with a hurt leg that had him at an “8 out of 10″ on the pain scale during the game.

Brown has praised Allen as a leader and a heart of the program since he took it on in December, but the junior’s performance Friday drove home exactly why that is.

“He exemplifies DART,” Brown said, referencing his program’s foundational acronym: Detailed, Accountable, Relentless and Tough. “The T in that is for him. The R and the T, actually. ... You’re not gonna stop that kid. He’s just a tough kid. It’s like I tell you guys all the time: He’s the passion of our program."

On Tuesday, Allen said he was “feeling way better” thanks to spending more time than he usually would in SU’s training room.

He said the swelling that he fought by wearing a leg sleeve during the game has gone down, and that he’s been making sure to move consistently to prevent his leg from growing stiff.

Allen’s 19 carries were a season-high but paled in comparison to the 63 passing attempts quarterback Kyle McCord made.

“I didn’t know that ’til after the game," Allen said with a laugh about McCord’s high number of attempts. “I really didn’t know that. It didn’t feel like that.”

Part of why it likely didn’t feel that lopsided, besides Allen’s injury, was that his rushes made up a bulk of the most impactful plays in the game.

Most of the attention has gone to Allen’s gritty, game-winning touchdown where he dragged UNLV linebacker Jackson Woodard behind him as he crossed the goal line. It’s the play Allen said made him most proud to watch back on film.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article293539764.html (charlotteobserver.com; Watson-Fisher)

N.C. State football plays under the lights on Saturday in its third ACC contest, and the Pack hopes to avoid its worst start in conference play since 2014.

The Wolfpack (3-3, 0-2 ACC) welcomes Syracuse to Raleigh on Saturday for the prime-time matchup. The Orange (4-1, 1-1 ACC) is a formidable opponent, ranking among the best teams in the nation for offensive output. The Syracuse defense isn’t quite to the level of its scoring threats, but N.C. State head coach Dave Doeren acknowledges its versatility.

Syracuse isn’t afraid to go with a three- or four-man front and sometimes use both in the same game. The program effectively merges two systems. Fadil Diggs is a leader on the defensive front and can create havoc.

Of course, the Orange also brings quarterback Kyle McCord, wide receiver Trebor Pena and running back LeQuint Allen. All three provide consistency on the high-scoring offense.

Fake Nunes previews Syracuse vs NC State (TNIAAM; Wall)

It’s Wednesday, so you know what that means... time for the blog that gives you the internet’s most ridiculous college football preview series- it’s #FakeNunes time. Can we keep finding ways to get #jokesandgarbage into a Syracuse Orange preview? You be the judge...

Now onto this week’s opponent

Opponent: NC State Wolfpack

Students: 37,873 students

The 2024 Fake Nunes Statistical Index (#FNSI)

We continue to look to innovate our analytics model so we here’s what the lab cooked up for this season.

Rivalry Trophy

The FNSI staff won’t give up on their quest to bring back more tradition into today’s college game. Let’s see what they’ve got for this one

The Wegmans Golden Sub Trophy

With a location in Raleigh, it’s the perfect time for the grocery chain to step up and sponsor a gold version of Danny’s Favorite Sub for the winner of this game.

Jersey Boys

Fran Brown wants to reclaim the Garden State so let’s see how the Orange stack up against each opponent.

The Wolfpack have 0 players from New Jersey which isn’t too surprising as Dave Doeren doesn’t strike us a Springsteen/Jersey Shore guy. Anyway, that’s not even close to the 25 for the Orange.

Advantage: Syracuse

Notable Alum

Bringing back this one as we love to drop, some knowledge every now and then to help our loyal readers possibly win a trivia night. After all we are the Syracuse blog that loves you back and we take that seriously.

Zach Galifianakis vs Jerry Stiller

Two comedic actors square off in this one. While Zach had that star-making performance in The Hangover, Jerry Stiller gave the world the Manssiere, Serenity Now, and of course Festivus

Advantage: Syracuse

Head Coach Radio Show Sponsor

Sports and Social vs AmeriCU

Well we like sports and socializing so even if you have to listen to Dave Doeren speak it’s still a winner.

Advantage: NC State

How Syracuse kicker won job in midseason competition: ‘He worked his butt off’ (PS; $; Leiker)

Jadyn Oh wasn’t sure if he was going to be called on in the final minute of Syracuse football’s road game at UNLV on Friday night.

The kicker had nailed four point-after attempts and a 21-yard field goal earlier in the game, but the Orange could win with a successful two-point conversion.

SU coach Fran Brown opted to send Oh on to tie the game instead, saying postgame his team’s stamina gave him confidence in an overtime push.

“I took it the same as every single other PAT I kicked in the game,” Oh said. “In the back of my mind though, obviously, with the game on the line, it’s a little more crucial.”

The Orange won 44-41 after Oh’s successful kick sent the game to overtime.

Oh got an in-game call-up and then won a midseason competition to take over field goal and PAT kicking last week after Brady Denaburg missed two field goals against Holy Cross.

Denaburg still handles the Orange’s kickoffs.

“(Oh) worked his butt off,” Brown said Monday. “He wanted to compete, and I just like competitive people.”

There wasn’t much fanfare around the kicking competition Brown opened up ahead of the UNLV game, Oh said. He, Denaburg and Cornell transfer Jackson Kennedy already push each other in practice.

Their practice routine stayed mostly the same, with no significant additional reps.

Oh said there wasn’t a specific moment he was told how duties would be split between himself and Denaburg on Friday night.

It was his first full game of kicking duties in his collegiate career.

Syracuse football at N.C. State predictions: See our picks (PS; $; Staff)

The Syracuse football team will face North Carolina State at 8 p.m., Saturday at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, North Carolina (TV: ACC Network).

It’s time for our predictions. The panel includes Brent Axe, sports columnist; Chris Carlson, sports enterprise reporter; Emily Leiker, SU football reporter and Nate Mink, managing producer for sports.

BRENT AXE

Syracuse 31, N.C. State 27

Will Syracuse cover? No

Perhaps you’ve noticed that three of SU’s last four games have been decided by three points or less. This is the kind of game Syracuse has to avoid being its own worst enemy and letting up on the gas pedal after an intense game in Vegas. A turnover here, a turnover there and if the special teams mistakes continue, N.C. State could spring the upset.

I say the Wolfpack hangs in there but ultimately falls by four points, allowing SU to sneak away from Raleigh with the win.

CHRIS CARLSON

Syracuse 34, N.C. State 24

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Florida State has helped the Wolfpack avoid the designation of the league’s biggest disappointment, but it’s been a bad year for North Carolina State, which entered the season with College Football Playoff dreams.

I was among those that bought in. Oops.

It’s hard to imagine the Wolfpack getting back on track against Syracuse with freshman CJ Bailey at quarterback. Expected starter Grayson McCall was taken off the field on a stretcher the previous week following a brutal hit and scary aftermath.

The Wolfpack has tended to play more conservatively with Bailey running the show. While he’s shown flashes, he isn’t ready to win a duel with Kyle McCord.

EMILY LEIKER

Syracuse 34, N.C. State 21

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Will the Orange finally cover the spread in a game where it’s not the underdog this season?

N.C. State is once again without quarterback Grayson McCall, but true freshman CJ Bailey has carried the offense well thanks to a gaggle of older guys around him, including preseason All-ACC receiver KC Concepcion.

I still think Syracuse – energized by its biggest win of the season and eyeing a bye week next week – will easily handle the Wolfpack, which is averaging the third-fewest offensive yards in the ACC right now and giving up the fifth-most.

NATE MINK

N.C. State 31, Syracuse 28

Will Syracuse cover? No

Syracuse is as well-positioned as it’s been in quite some time to exorcise the road woes it has encountered over its decade-long residency in its Carolina-based conference.

Last week’s gutsy win out west sent a signal Syracuse might have the makeup by which any good team is measured.

This week, under the lights in a sold-out venue, will provide more evidence the Orange may be sitting on a wondrous season.

In an unusual occurrence, the Orange enters Carter-Finley Stadium, a spot it has won in just once, as a slight favorite against an outfit that is back to playing a true freshman quarterback who must manage the game well and control clock.

Fortunately for the Wolfpack, it has a veteran team surrounding the young quarterback, with future pro Anthony Belton at tackle and Notre-Dame transfer Zeke Correll anchoring the interior.

Point spread: Syracuse by 4.5 points

Syracuse Football News: 3 star players honored, 'Cuse moves up in CBS Sports rankings (itlh; Adler)

Following its three-point, overtime win last Friday night in Las Vegas over then-No. 25 UNLV, Syracuse football looks to build upon that stellar non-conference victory when the Orange heads to fellow Atlantic Coast Conference school N.C. State this Saturday night.

Following the team's week-six triumph against the previously undefeated Rebels, several players for Syracuse football (4-1) have been honored for their performances in that contest and also for the 2024 season as a whole to date.

When the ACC announced its players of the week, two Orange stars were deservingly included. They are junior running back LeQuint Allen Jr. and senior edge Fadil Diggs, who transferred to the 'Cuse this off-season from Texas A&M.

Allen went full beast mode against UNLV. He tallied a combined 129 rushing and receiving yards while scoring four times, including a short touchdown run in overtime that resulted in a 44-41 win for Syracuse football.

Although the Orange defense allowed 41 points to the Rebels, there were several instances throughout the encounter when the 'Cuse made some critical stops on the defensive side. To that end, Diggs registered six total tackles, including four solo ones, and two sacks. One of those sacks occurred in overtime, helping to force UNLV to settle for a field goal.

Other Syracuse football news to review.

Kyle McCord is lauded
The Orange's senior quarterback, against UNLV, connected on 40-of-63 throws for 355 passing yards, with three touchdown passes and an interception. In this affair and others during the current campaign, McCord is doing an effective job at spreading the ball around to his talented tight ends and wide receivers. On the year, he's thrown for 300-plus yards in five straight games, which is a program record.

In 2024, McCord is completing 64.2 percent of his pass attempts for 1,814 yards with 17 touchdowns against six picks. I noted in another recent column that McCord is among the national leaders in various statistical categories.

Syracuse football: What was going on in CNY the last time SU beat NC State in Raleigh (TNIAAM; Fowler)

The Syracuse Orange hit the tarmac again this week, this time for an ACC road matchup with NC State—the Orange head into Saturday’s game as 4.5-point favorites against the Wolfpack, according to FanDuel . The only time SU defeated NC State in Raleigh was back in 2013, behind 368 rushing yards and three touchdowns from Jerome Smith, Prince-Tyson Gulley, and Terrel Hunt. Yup, take that in.

And, considering this could be SU’s best chance in a while at grabbing a win at NC State, our TNIAAM staff thought it’d be fun to remind Orange fans what was going on in Syracuse the last time the Orange beat the Wolfpack on the road:

Syracuse Men’s basketball reaches Final Four: 2013 was a historic year for Syracuse Men’s basketball. Head Coach Jim Boeheim’s team reached the Final Four in Atlanta after defeating No. 3 Marquette 55-39 in the East Region final to advance to the program’s first Final Four since Carmelo Anthony led the charge in 2003. CJ Fair, James Southerland, and Michael Carter-Williams combined for 42 of the team’s 55 points.

Marquette v Syracuse
Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

Big East Conference Realignment: Later in the year, amidst uncertainty in the Big East, Syracuse University prepared to leave the conference and join the Atlantic Coast Conference. Syracuse valued the ACC’s emphasis on academic excellence, and, at the time, many of the ACC schools were (and still are) well-known for both their athletic success and academic achievements, making it an appealing choice for Syracuse, which wanted to align with institutions that shared its values.

Syracuse Crunch reaches Calder Cup Finals: In the Syracuse Crunch’s first season as the AHL affiliate of the Tampa Bay Lightning, it reached the Calder Cup Finals for the first time in franchise history. The Crunch had an impressive playoff run in 2013, dominating their opponents in the Eastern Conference. They swept the Portland Pirates in the first round, defeated the Springfield Falcons in a four-game sweep in the second round, and then overcame the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in five games in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Syracuse football: first down offense vs UNLV (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange offense wasn’t as explosive on early downs last Friday night against the UNLV Rebels, but thankfully the Orange delivered on third and fourth downs to secure the road win.

Syracuse was very pass-heavy in the first half and the results were solid. Anytime you’re gaining over 5 yards on first downs, then you set up the offense to continue to keep both the run and pass options. McCord was 11-16 on his 1st down attempts and the Orange avoided any negative plays in the first 30 minutes.

First down offense vs UNLV

Run or Pass- 1HYardsRun or Pass- 2HYards
Pass (Allen)5Run (Allen)1
Run (Allen)1Run (Willis)4
Pass (Meeks)5Run (Willis)3
Pass (Gadsden)7Run (Willis)5
Pass (Allen)8Pass (Incomplete)0
Pass (Gadsden)39Run (Willis)21 TD
Pass (Allen)6Pass (Incomplete)0
Run (Allen)9Run (Allen)1
Pass (Incomplete)0Pass (Gill)4
Run (Allen)3 TDRun (Pena)-5
Run (Allen)7Run (Allen)-1
Pass (Incomplete)0Run (Willis)2
Pass (Pena)7Run (Allen)2
Pass (Incomplete)0Pass (Gadsden)17
Pass (Allen)10Pass (Meeks)7
Pass (Pena)3Pass (Incomplete)0
Pass (Incomplete)0Pass (Meeks)1
Pass (Incomplete)0Run (McCord) *6
Run (Allen)2Run (Allen) *5
Pass (Allen)7Pass (Pena) *2
Run (Allen) *1 TD
* = Overtime
1st HalfPlaysYardsAvg yards per play
Run5224.4
Pass16976.06
Total211195.66
2nd HalfPlaysYardsAvg yards per play
Run14453.21
Pass8313.87
Total22763.45
Game TotalPlaysYardsAvg yards per play
Run19673.52
Pass241285.33
Total431954.53

OC Jeff Nixon flipped the script in the second half and went run-heavy. Yasin Willis got a lot of work with LeQuint Allen dealing with an injury and Willis had this impressive run following Duce Chestnut’s interception.

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Wolfpack)

Another Orange team favored to beat the Wolfpack, eh? Maybe 3rd time is the charm?It shouldn't take charm to get this NC State Football team going. It's going to take execution against a good Syracuse team.

We breakdown Saturday Night's matchup with Jackson Holzer of Locked On Syracuse. Can the Wolfpack find themselves?

How Syracuse Football Matches Up with NC State Wolfpack | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Orange Football gets set to take on the NC State Wolfpack on Saturday from Carter-Finley Stadium. Kyle McCord has been on a tear for Syracuse, but with the NC State's poor run defense, LeQuint Allen could be the key to getting a victory. Fran Brown and Elijah Robinson's defense must also pressure true freshman CJ Bailey and stop pass catchers Kevin Concepcion and Justin Jolly. Finally, the Orange must fix their special teams this week.

Jackson Holzer brings on Neil Adler from Inside the Loud House to go over how Syracuse matches up with NC State.

Pregame Podcast: Previewing Syracuse vs. NC State with Mike McAllister (247sports.com; podcast; Smith)

Coming off a heartbreaking loss against Wake Forest last Saturday, NC State is still looking for its first ACC win of the season against Syracuse. The Wolfpack gets a resurgent Orange team inside Carter-Finley Stadium on a primetime stage with a chance to bounce back on the ACC Network.

Cory Smith is joined by Mike McAllister of CuseNation on the 247Sports Network to discuss the Orange's 4-1 start to the season, the play of Kyle McCord and his elite playmakers around him, the defensive names to know and a prediction. Watch or listen to the latest Pregame Podcast to get all of that and more!

Syracuse football is coming in hot#cuse #syracusefootball #cfb #collegefootball #franbrown (youtube; podcast; Da Bigggest Chopp Up)

Syracuse football is coming in hot (LeQuint Allen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQycmchs-rw (youtube; podcast; College Football Picks)

Syracuse vs NC State College Football game preview for October 12th, 2024.

Syracuse travels to Raleigh to take on NC State this weekend. Syracuse is 4-1 and NC State is 3-3. Syracuse is a road favorite by the NCAA odds. Who will be the winning College Football pick?

BetUS host Gary Segars, and expert handicappers Kyle Hunter and Parker Fleming preview the College Football game Syracuse vs NC State. They'll go over the best value College Football odds available and betting trends and share their College Football expert predictions.

https://orangefizz.net/2024/10/could-syracuse-vs-nc-state-steal-the-spotlight-saturday-night/ (orangefizz.net; Papillo)

I’ll be the first one to admit it, this slate of college football on Saturday could be the best one we’ll see all year. Just to rifle them off, you have the Red River Showdown (#1 Texas and #18 Oklahoma,) #2 Ohio State and #3 Oregon, #9 Ole Miss and #13 LSU, and so many other matchups. As silly as this may sound, Syracuse and NC State on Saturday night has the potential to steal the show, even if no one except fans of the two teams will be tuning in.

Before you call me crazy, let’s talk about the last time these two teams squared off. An undefeated #18 Syracuse hosted the #15 Wolfpack in a sold-out JMA Wireless Dome in search of its best start in decades. What followed was an absolute thriller, with SU picking up the win 24-9 and the Orange faithful storming the field. Redshirt freshman Oronde Gadsden II (ever heard of him?) had a career day with 141 yards receiving and two touchdowns. But this is pure nostalgia, let’s dive into the now.

Entering this season, both of these programs had a lot of hype around them. Syracuse, coming off the hiring of head coach Fran Brown and landing of Ohio State transfer QB Kyle McCord, was expected to make some noise this season, and they’ve lived up to that so far with a 4-1 start. NC State was slotted into #24 on the AP Top 25 preseason poll and was considered an ACC Championship threat this season with the landing of Coastal Carolina QB Grayson McCall. The Wolfpack have stumbled early at 3-3, but two of those losses came to Tennessee and Clemson, and the third being last week after McCall suffered an injury.

I had this game circled on my calendar back in the summer, and I still think it can be an exciting back-and-forth contest. Despite starting a backup quarterback in CJ Bailey, the Wolfpack has the capabilities to make some noise and keep it interesting, especially in front of a raucous crowd in Raleigh. Syracuse on the other hand has found themselves in two thrillers in their last three, to both Stanford and #25 UNLV. A huge game for Syracuse to possibly find the rankings and a big opportunity for NC State to stay alive in the conference standings.

So you know what, I’m tuning into this game and expecting the best. Vegas only has it as a four-point spread in SU’s favor so who knows, anything can happen on Saturdays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-5R2wI-uA (youtube; radio; Cuse Sports Talk)

Wes Durham of ACC Network joins Brian Higgins to react to the proposed College Football Super League, take a look at the ACC as a whole, and preview Syracuse vs. NC State.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangespor...me-athletic-dining-hall-after-his-father.html (PS; $; Carlson)

A Syracuse University alum has donated $2 million to the school in order to name a new dining facility that will serve Olympic sport athletes after his father, Edward Magee Sr.

The dining hall will be referred to within the SU community as Magee One Team Dining, the school said in a press release.

Construction to the athletic department’s renovated home, the Lally Athletics Complex, is currently ongoing. The portion of the building that will be devoted to Olympic sport athletes will be named the One Team Olympic Sports Center.

Edwrd Magee Sr. graduated from Syracuse in 1933 and earned a law degree in 1936. He joined the U.S. Army and served with the 84th Infantry Division in the South Pacific and Asia. He was a reservist for 20 years and retired as a major. He also worked for 40 years at the Utica Mutual Insurance Company.

Magee died in 1989 at 78 years old. His son told Syracuse University that he died while watching the Syracuse basketball team play Missouri.

“My dad was serious about work, community, country and Syracuse University athletics,” his son, Edward Magee Jr., said in the press released.

The younger Magee graduated from Syracuse in 1970 and earned a graduate degree in 1972. Like his father, Magee joined the military and spent four years as an officer in the Air Defense Command He went on to become Pepsi-Cola’s first international chief information officer.

ACC News

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...-deal-realignment/?source=user_shared_article (nytimes.com; $; Marks)

Midway through his fourth year as ACC commissioner, Jim Phillips has one overarching goal guiding most of his decision-making:

“That we have a sustainable model for college sports, that has a chance to be healthy,” Phillips told The Athletic this week, “and has the chance to have longevity to it.”

If only things were so simple. Instead, college athletics’ already unstable foundation is growing shakier by the day. The Big Ten and SEC will meet in Nashville this week to discuss, among other things, automatic College Football Playoff berths for their leagues, further exacerbating the growing gap between the proverbial Power 2 and every other conference — the ACC included.

Elsewhere, multiple super league proposals have emerged that challenge the existing conference model altogether and may hasten more widespread changes to the infrastructure of college sports. And as if that weren’t enough, on Monday, Judge Claudia Wilken gave preliminary approval to the proposed House v. NCAA settlement, which will allow schools to share revenue directly with college athletes for the first time — and as early as next year.

Many of those issues are outside of Phillips’ direct control, but not all of them. It’s Phillips’ job to prioritize things that will maintain the ACC’s positioning within the current college sports hierarchy — most notably, the league’s upcoming “look-in” period with ESPN in February 2025 regarding the ACC’s media rights contract.

To date, that “look-in” period has been viewed nationally as something of an inflection point for the ACC. Were ESPN to not pick up the option on its deal with the ACC, in theory, the league would be back on the media rights market in 2027 … or, much more likely, susceptible to a new wave of conference realignment — especially with the league’s two recent football powers, Clemson and Florida State, already suing with designs on getting out of the league. But that entire notion appears to be based on a misconception, or at least a misunderstanding of what February’s “look-in” period actually entails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM5cCDrIxfw (youtube; podcast; Talking College Football)

On this episode of Talking College Football with JJ Kitchen, JJ talks about the contenders in the ACC and ranks each of the football programs through 6 weeks of the season and there may be some surprises!As always you can find JJ on Twitter at JJ_Kitchen40. Please Subscribe, Comment, Like, and Share the video! JJ loves the conversation with everyone and hopes to hear from everyone.

https://www.elpasoinc.com/no-22-pit...cle_f228ab59-ff7d-5dc9-8df1-f08fe7f79f1a.html (elpasoinc.com; Iacobelli; AP)

Things to watch this week in the Atlantic Coast Conference:

Game of the week

Cal (3-2, 0-2 ACC) at No. 22 Pittsburgh (5-0, 1-0), Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Pitt is off to its best start since 1991 and is looking to go 6-0 for the first time since 1982 when NFL Hall of Famer Dan Marino was the team's quarterback. The Panthers made the Top 25 for the first time this season and for the first time since the end of the 2022 season.
Alabama transfer Eli Holstein, Pitt's quarterback, is third nationally at more than 366 yards of offense and game and is fifth with 15 TD passes.
Cal is seeking its first ACC win in its first year in the league. The Bears have had an up-and-down start, winning at Auburn before losing a pair of tight league games to Florida State and No. 6 Miami, a 39-38 home defeat after leading the Hurricanes by 25 points.

This is the second of three trips to the Eastern time zone for the West Coast school.

The undercard

Louisville (3-2, 1-1) at Virginia (4-1, 2-0), Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET (ACC Network)
The Cavaliers have had a revival under third-year coach Tony Elliott after starting 6-16 and guiding the program through the fatal campus shooting where three players were killed and a fourth wounded in November 2022. Virginia improved to 4-1 for the first time since 2019 after rallying from 14 points down to beat Boston College, 24-14.
The Cardinals have lost two straight games, throwing their ACC title game chances in jeopardy. Louisville fell from the national rankings for the first time this season.

Impact players

Omarion Hampton, North Carolina. The junior running back leads the ACC with 764 yards (127 a game) and is tied for second with seven touchdowns. He has rushed for 100 or more yards in five of his past six games.

Malik Rutherford, Georgia Tech. Rutherford tops the ACC with 37 catches this season. His 474 yards are third best among league receivers. The Yellow Jackets look to win two straight when they face the Tar Heels on Saturday. North Carolina has lost its past three games after opening 3-0.

Inside the numbers

Holstein is the first Pitt quarterback to win his first five starts since Dan Marino in 1979. ... Louisville had 461 yards of offense in a 34-27 loss to SMU, the first time it lost when gaining 450 or more yards. ... North Carolina is the only FBS team to have a 100-yard rusher in each of its first six games. ... Clemson hopes to start 4-0 in ACC play for the 10th time in coach Dabo Swinney's 17 seasons. ... Syracuse quarterback Kyle McCord is second in the country at 362.8 yards a game. He leads the nation with almost 31 completions a game. ... Wake Forest is looking to break a 15-game losing streak to Clemson. The Demon Deacons and Tigers won't play again until 2030. ... No. 6 Miami, No. 25 SMU, Boston College Duke, N.C. State and Virginia Tech are off this week.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...ason-acc-football-takes-id-like-to-have-back/ (saturdaydownsouth.com; Friedlander)

An old sports editor of mine had a saying to let me know any time he disagreed with what I’d written in one of my columns.

“Sometimes wrong, never in doubt,” he’d tell me.

I bring this up because I can just hear him saying it while looking over the “25 ACC Bold Predictions” column I wrote just before the start of the season.

Some of the takes were out there, I’ll admit. But amazingly, I’ve actually hit or still have a chance of hitting more than I’ve missed.

Georgia Tech did, in fact, beat Florida State in Ireland. Jacolby Criswell is UNC’s starting quarterback. Pat Narduzzi is well on the way to saving his job. If he hasn’t already. And the ACC still hasn’t imploded.

Still, there are plenty of picks about which I was never in doubt, but in hindsight have turned out to be wrong. Now that we’ve reached the midway point in the season, here are a few of those I’d like to have back:

North Carolina’s defense will get the Tar Heels to a bowl game

At 3-3, it’s still possible that Mack Brown’s team will find the 3 wins it still needs to sneak into the postseason. But even if the Tar Heels do snap out of their current slide and become bowl eligible, it won’t be because of an improved defense.

New coordinator Geoff Collins received rave reviews for his unit’s opening week performance in a 19-17 win at Minnesota that saw UNC hold the Gophers to fewer than 100 yards rushing and only 2 touchdowns. But the good vibes wore off quickly.

The first warning signs came when Charlotte put up 309 passing yards against the Tar Heels, with 6 completions of 25 yards or more. Then came the 70-point embarrassment against James Madison, followed by the 2nd half meltdown against Duke. Six games into the season, UNC is allowing 28.7 points per game. That’s even more than the 27.3 points per game that got Gene Chizik fired last year.

Jalen Brown will have a breakout season for Florida State

The transfer from LSU is a potential game-breaker who has the kind of ability that can turn every catch into a potential touchdown. His addition was supposed to help the Seminoles make up for the 91 catches and 13 touchdowns lost with the departures of top receivers Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson.

That’s not how it’s turned out. Though much of the failures of FSU’s passing game thus far can be traced to quarterback play and a porous offensive line, Wilson has been a nonfactor. He has only 8 catches for 75 yards, with only 1 reception over 20 yards and no touchdowns.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/10/top-ncaa-fb-stats-2024-week-7.html (RX; HM)

Top NCAA FB Stats 2024 Week 7

I dug through the official 2024 NCAA statistics and found these top-performing ACC teams...

OFFENSE

Highest 3rd Down Conversion%

1. Miami - 44 of 73 (0.603)
5. Syracuse - 44 of 80 (0.550)

Pass Completion%

3. Georgia Tech - 132 of 181 (0.729)
10. Miami - 165 of 234 (0.705)

First Downs Offense

1. Miami - 168
5. N. Carolina - 145
7. SMU - 140
9. Syracuse, 1 other tied - 136

Fewest Fumbles Lost

1. Syracuse, 4 others tied - 0

Most Passing Yards Gained

1. Miami - 2,400
3. Syracuse - 1.845
6. Pitt - 1,702

Fewest Sacks Allowed per Game

2. Georgia Tech - 1 sack in 6 games (0.17)

Scoring Offense

2. Miami - 286 points in 6 games (47.7)
6. Pitt - 228 points in 5 games (45.6)

Passing Efficiency Offense

8. Miami - 165 of 234 for 2,400 yards, 21 TDs, 5 INTs (182.01)

Total Offense, Yards per Game

1. Miami - 583.8
4. Pitt - 522.2

Comments:

Miami is Top 10 in 7 of these statistics. Syracuse shows up in 4, Pitt in 3.

DEFENSE

Defensive Touchdowns

1. SMU, 2 others tied - 4
4. NC State, 1 other tied - 3
6. Louisville, 13 others tied - 2

Most Passes Intercepted

1. Cal - 11 INTs
2. Miami, SMU, 3 others tied - 10
8. Boston College, 4 others tied - 8

Red Zone Defense

10. Virginia Tech, 3 others tied - 0.692

Rushing Defense, Yards per Game

11. Georgia Tech - 87.5
12. Stanford - 88.2
13. Miami - 89.7

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/10/odds-of-making-cfp-12.html (RX; HM)

Odds of Making the CFP-12

Now that the playoff field is 12 teams, the odds of getting into it are a whole lot better than before. But which ACC teams in particular have good odds this season? Here are the numbers as computed by CSNBBS user Clayton, a self-professed Florida Gator fan (but that doesn't mean he's wrong here!)

ACC 2024 At Large Tracker

...these results are compiled after simulating the remainder of the season 10,000 times. Sometimes a 10-2 Pittsburgh makes the playoff, sometimes they are squeezed out by excess SEC teams. Below you get the percentage of each. There are unlisted scenarios, like Pitt going 12-1, but only those scenarios with >1% chance of ocuring are listed.
Overall, the most likely at large team is still an ACC team who wins out only to lose in the CCG. But there are a few Longshots hoping for help around the country if they can't make it to Charlotte. As the season winds down, these teams will be grouped by mutual exclusivity and we can track the 1, 2, 3 potential at large bids for the conference.

and this follow-up post,

Here is a breakdown on different finishes for each team. This is out of 10,000, so every 100 is 1%. For example, SMU is given a 17.25% chance of earning a bye, an 11.14% chance of receiving an at large bid, and a 0.46% chance of winning the ACC yet failing to make the playoff. May need recommendations on a better presentation of this data. I've sorted the other teams by most likely to get an at-large bid.
B=Byes
C=Champ that plays in the first round
A=At Large team
H=Home game for first round
X=NO playoff bid despite winning ACCCG
B:1725 C:220 A:1114 H:461 X:46 SMU
B:1012 C:15 A:2619 H:1300 X:2 Pittsburgh
B:2944 C:117 A:2208 H:1111 X:5 Miami
B:2276 C:341 A:939 H:350 X:85 Clemson
B:336 C:32 A:841 H:277 X:3 Louisville
B:108 C:8 A:228 H:70 X:1 Syracuse
B:252 C:45 A:126 H:34 X:9 Virginia
B:25 C:9 A:113 H:67 X:1 Georgia Tech
B:101 C:16 A:59 H:10 X:0 Boston College
B:66 C:11 A:13 H:8 X:3 Duke
B:5 C:0 A:12 H:1 X:0 California
B:60 C:39 A:5 H:1 X:18 Virginia Tech
B:2 C:4 A:3 H:0 X:1 Stanford
B:24 C:19 A:0 H:0 X:9 Wake Forest
B:1 C:4 A:0 H:0 X:0 North Carolina
Florida State and NC State at 0% chance of playoff or ACC Championship
- Crayton:

Finally, here's the above odds in bar chart format:

TeamOddsBar Chart (0 to 64%)
Miami0.6385||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| | |||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||
Pittsburgh0.4948|||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||
Clemson0.3991|||||||||||||||||||||| ||| ||||||||| |||
SMU0.3566||||||||||||||||| || ||||||||||| ||||
Louisville0.1489||| |||||||| ||
Virginia0.0466|| |
Syracuse0.0415| ||

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/10/links-news-and-rumors-2024-oct-9.html (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Oct 9

From ESPN: NCAA approves elimination of national letter of intent program

The NCAA Division I Council has approved the immediate elimination of the national letter of intent program... The NLI will be replaced by a new financial aid agreement that will provide many of the same core functions as the NLI and will likely be tied to a contract related to an impending revenue-sharing model across college athletics.
Under the new rules, transfer athletes will be allowed to sign with a new school after they've formally entered the portal. Per the NCAA, once a prospect has signed a written offer of athletic aid, other schools will be "prohibited from recruiting communications."
____

Yahoo! Sports: Hurricane Milton’s effect on college football: USF's game vs. Memphis moved to Saturday

Both Florida State and No. 6 Miami have a bye week this weekend.
Other Florida schools, however, could see their home games this weekend impacted.

Other

ULWEGRV4OZA37O6SK7KKMX5N3E.jpg

The Dirty Bird from 315 Pizza Co. in Marcellus, the 40th stop on our CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

https://www.syracuse.com/food/2024/...a-small-town-pizza-with-a-big-city-taste.html (PS; Miller)

It seems every town, village and hamlet in Central New York has a pizza shop it calls its own. In Marcellus, that shop sits at 24 W. Main St.

For decades, pizzas from this spot have been feeding the 6,000-plus residents and nearby visitors. For the past dozen years, Jeremy Simek has been at the helm here.

He started back when it was J&J’s, first as a delivery driver and later as a cook and manager. In 2017, he and a friend purchased the business, rebranding it as Pizza Boise. Last January, Jeremy became the sole owner and renamed it 315 Pizza Co.

Despite the name changes, the recipes haven’t changed.

“I may tweak a thing here and there, but it’s pretty much the same now as it was when I started,” he said on Monday. “I had picked up a few things along the way.”

That’s to be expected. He came to Marcellus with a few years of pizza-making experience, including stints at Avicolli’s, the old Westwood Inn in Westvale and Oompas in Tipperary Hill.

“There’s a little bit of all those places in the pizzas here,” he said.

Let’s grab a slice ...

Address: 315 Pizza Co., 24 W Main St., Marcellus. (315) 673-1940

Do they deliver: Yessir.

What I ate: A 16-inch Dirty Bird, a sweet-and-spicy pizza from the specialty menu.

Why this pizza? Besides the basic pepperoni pizza, the Dirty Bird is the most popular pizza. It’s also a popular calzone and a favorite sandwich. And the Dirty Bird fries are the most-ordered side dish. Owner Jeremy Simek’s his wife came up with the combo, and it quickly became his favorite combo.

QH3BLR5VGVB7JI2MCTNWOMLXKQ.jpg

A turkey sandwich from Salt City Bread in Manlius. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

https://www.syracuse.com/food/2024/...-sandwiches-branching-out-near-su-campus.html (PS; Miller)

A bakery in Manlius that regularly draws long lines of lunchtime customers is opening a sandwich shop near the Syracuse University campus.

The owners of Salt City Bread are opening a restaurant in Nottingham Plaza, 9 miles away from their original storefront. Salt City Sandwich is taking over the spot left vacant by A La Mode Cafe.

Andrea and Chris DeVita expect to open the cafe by the end of the year.

“Think of it as really good sandwiches on really good bread,” Andrea said. “It’s the sandwiches we make now and a lot more.”

The DeVitas opened Salt City Bread three years ago in a shopping plaza at 8240 Cazenovia Road, just down the street from downtown Manlius. The bakery sells yeasted and pre-fermented breads and bagels on Wednesdays through Sundays. Their most popular breads are the rosemary focaccia, sourdough and the baguette, all topped with flaked salt from the Syracuse Salt Co.

During lunch, customers stand in line for their oversized sandwiches that can easily feed two people. That includes the turkey on white: Boar’s Head roasted turkey on their white sandwich bread with muenster cheese, leaf lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise and locally made honey mustard.

Andrea and Chris decided over the summer they wanted to branch out and open a second business. On an August afternoon while looking at storefronts, they pulled into Nottingham Plaza, located at 331 Nottingham Road in DeWitt, just over the city line.

About that whole metric system thing.

A gram should be the base unit. Not Kilogram. Makes me question Europe's sanity.

Also that part about the US adopting the metric system for weights? I just bought a lb of sugar, 2 lbs of hamburger, 1/2 pound of sliced deli ham and my doc said I gained 5lbs. So I call BS on that little stat too!

PS my objections are towards the source article, not the poster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom