Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Syracuse News

260825829001_3720168380001_vs-53e412b9e4b0d9c071ce68b0-1592194027001.jpg

Scott Shafer says autonomy good for Syracuse football, not sure about college game (PS; Carlson)

The theme of the day across college sports was autonomy. Naturally, Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer was asked for his opinion on the direction of the NCAA, and he offered one that was a little more gray than most.

A vote held by the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors on Thursday granted autonomy to power-five schools, like Syracuse, to make their own rules in a variety of categories like student welfare.

Shafer saw it as a positive step for Syracuse but, as he often does, also looked at the issue from the mid-major perspective, talking about his formative years in the Mid-American Conference.

"It's a great thing for the ACC and a great thing for Syracuse University," Shafer said. "It's just the reality of where football is going. If you're in the power-five and you have an opportunity to upgrade everything you're doing, because there is a lot of financial differences between the two, now that I'm on this side of the fence, I think it's really good. I do look back and say, 'Man that's a tough deal.'"

That Clemson football fan has returned, and he's taken issue with some of Wednesday's 'comments' (PS; Poliquin)

Thank you for posting my letter in your weekly mailbag.

When the Syracuse University football team comes to Death Valley in October, I'll be sitting on the Clemson side at the 35-yard line, 38 rows up. So, send those Orange fans up, but please tell them not to waste my time talking basketball. It'll be football season in case they will have missed it.

After reading through the "comments" section yesterday, I have a few thoughts:

(1) Tajh Boyd was a stud, and I certainly know that. But under pressure he did make some decisions that were questionable, and he got flustered at times, particularly in certain big games.

13747055-mmmain.jpg

Q&A: Syracuse football QB Terrel Hunt in favor of additional $2,000 stipend, equality through Division I (PS; Bailey)

With the NCAA Division I Board of Directors voting in favor of allowing power-five conference teams autonomy regarding NCAA rules on student-athlete welfare earlier this afternoon, stipends, tuition payments and food allotments remain hot topics.

For that reason, I wanted to revisit a conversation I had with Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt earlier this summer to share his perspective on the issues:

Syracuse.com: I was curious what the locker-room environment was like when the news broke about Northwestern players trying to unionize? What's your take on it?

Terrel Hunt: I think it's pretty cool, but at the end of the day, football is a lot. Football right now is enough distraction. You get stressed out. It's a lot playing D-1 football. You eat, sleep and breathe football. You've got to actually love this sport. The unionization thing is cool, but it's just not for me. I'd rather just do what I do, graduate, become one of the greats to play here — that was one of my goals. It was never to change the NCAA.

NCAA passes autonomy for power conferences opening door for athlete stipends (PS; Carlson)

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors passed a restructuring of the organization by a 16-2 vote on Thursday, opening the door for power conference teams to create their own legislation to enhance "student-athlete welfare."

One of the first rules expected to be enacted by the power-five is an increase in athletic scholarships to a true "cost of attendance scholarship" that is used in the case of academic scholarships. This would include money for clothes, laundry and travel and add on a couple thousand dollars in total cost. That prospect was voted down by school presidents in 2012.

Other likely enhancements to be made by power-conference teams like Syracuse include enhanced medical coverage and educational opportunities after players have graduated.

Syracuse football 2014 opponent preview: Clemson loses offensive weapons but still returns Chad Morris (PS; Mink)
Continuing our early look at each of Syracuse's 2014 opponents, our guest this week is Aaron Brenner, of the Charleston (S.C.) Post & Courier.

Have at it.

1. I think a lot of people are looking at three key losses on offense (Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant) and wondering if Chad Morris' offense is going to lose any of its firepower that has made him one of the most successful assistants in the country. So, what do you think? Are there pieces in place that Clemson will be able to plug in and go like it's 2013? Is this going to a be a steady ascent to offensive efficiency? Or do you see this as a complete rebuild?

Brenner: Clemson's best recruit in 2014 was not Deshaun Watson. Nor was it the return of Vic Beasley. It was retaining Morris, who wouldn't have been blamed for taking, say, the Wake Forest head job and running with it. This system has proven to work with any group of skill players who's willing to perfect the execution. Yes, having studs like Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Ellington helps. But if Boyd was so awesome on his own, how come he was a sixth-round pick? How did Roderick McDowell, a marginally-talented tailback by collegiate standards, squeeze out a 1,000-yard season? How did Bryant and Brandon Ford and Jaron Brown become viable all-conference performers? Because Morris is part of the new-age coaches like Gus Malzahn and Chip Kelly who will put up points no matter who's out there.

With NCAA autonomy vote coming, what do Syracuse players want from the NCAA (PS; Carlson)?

Update: NCAA passes autonomy for power conferences opening door for athlete stipends
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors will vote later today on whether to give the power-five conference teams autonomy on NCAA rules regarding student-athlete welfare,allowing the country's biggest athletic programs to craft their own set of rules regarding the treatment of its athletes.

If it passes, the college athletic programs making the most money will be allowed to find ways to share a small percentage of it with the athletes who help earn it.

Simply bringing autonomy up for vote took threats of secession from power-five conference commissioners and the crafting of a legislative system that the power-five would use.

Getting together and passing rules those conferences can agree on is the next step in providing athletes to join in on the booming business of college sports.

Should Syracuse football schedule only 'Power 5' schools for non-conference games? (poll; PS; Axe)

ESPN's Brett McMurphy recently polled 65 football coaches from the "Power Five" schools that play in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and Notre Dame if they would prefer to only play non-conference games against the "Power Five."

• 46 percent (30 coaches) favored playing exclusively "Power Five" opponents.
  • 35 percent (23 coaches) were opposed.
  • About 18.5 percent (12 coaches), including Syracuse University head coach Scott Shafer, were undecided.
Here is how the rest of the ACC coaches voted:

YES: Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Miami's Al Golden, Pitt's Paul Chryst, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer

NO: Duke's David Cutcliffe, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson, North Carolina's Larry Fedora, NC State's Dave Doeren, Wake Forest's Dave Clawson

Ex-Syracuse linebacker Marquis Spruill will miss rookie season with Atlanta Falcons after ACL tear (PS; Mink)

Marquis Spruill was one of the most durable players for Syracuse throughout his four-year career as a starting linebacker, but his NFL rookie season is over before it even started.

Spruill suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament during Wednesday's practice and will miss the 2014 season.

A fifth-round draft pick of the Atlanta Falcons in May, Spruill was competing for a spot on the 53-man roster, likely as a special teams contributor, before the injury sabotaged that goal.

Spruill ranks second in school history with 41 career tackles for loss.

15567234-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse offensive lineman Nick Robinson, coming off foot injury, is in middle of competition at guard (PS; Mink)

Syracuse, N.Y. — It is still too soon to know how the offensive line will sort out before the season opener in three weeks, but a key piece has returned to practice this summer that will add to the competition.

Nick Robinson, a C.W. Baker grad, was held out of spring practice because of a foot injury sustained during winter conditioning. The injury did not require surgery, but it limited his physical activity.

Being held out of practice allowed him to spend more time in the film room and study the playbook while increasing his upper body strength, areas that he feels will benefit him as he tries to lock down a starting guard position.

ACC football: 6 league player of the year contenders (PS; Stevens)

DE Vic Beasley, Clemson: Probably the ACC defensive player with the most name recognition, Beasley had 13 sacks a season ago for the Tigers. He averaged exactly one sack per game, ranking third in the country.

The Clemson defense is supposed to be better this season, and with some new faces on offense, the Tigers might have to rely more than usual on preventing points. Beasley's already the face of that defense, and could make himself a credible player of the year candidate with strong games early on against Georgia and Florida State.

WR Jamison Crowder, Duke: The senior got one vote in the ACC preseason player of the year balloting, and while the stated rationale for it is not bulletproof (after all, any player could get hurt), there aren't many options outside of last year's winner who have a better case than Crowder. It's a valid choice.

As a junior, he took over as the Blue Devils' primary receiver and posted 108 catches for 1,360 yards and eight touchdowns. He also brought two punts back for scores, and was an occasional threat to run it as well. He's really, really good, and coach David Cutcliffe is exceptional at finding ways to exploit his best players. And if Crowder isn't Duke's best player, he's on the very short list for that honor.

Syracuse wide receiver Jarrod West on 2014 season: 'I definitely know I have more in me' (PS; Mink)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Jarrod West was at his graduation dinner in May when he found out his high school friend got drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

He texted a quick congratulations to Pitt's Devin Steet, and moments later his phone lit up with a response that is pushing him to reach new heights in his final season.

"You gotta get ready man," Street wrote. "You're the next one up."

Like many receivers, it's a dream for West to play in the NFL, and a productive 2014 season can go a long way toward that goal. West will be one of the most experienced players on a team with more returning talent than a year ago, and he's hoping better chemistry will erase the frustration sometimes felt last season with a new quarterback and new offense.

"We're going to move him to certain areas, and last year it was really a learning process," quarterback Terrel Hunt said. "Now we're more comfortable with each other, and we know what each other can do."

Is anyone else as concerned as I am about the apparent lack of whiz-bang from the players referenced so far this pre-season? I mean without a whiz-bang sophomore or three stepping up, or a whiz-bang (insert position here) stepping up, does this team really have any chance? Also, why do I still click on Bud Poliquin links? And speaking of the opera-man coiner of "whiz-bang" what's happened to my favorite writer- Dave Rahme?

Anyway, thanks to whiz-bang computer guy, golfer, and uberfan sutomcat for this regularly scheduled programming.

Is anyone else as concerned as I am about the apparent lack of whiz-bang from the players referenced so far this pre-season? I mean without a whiz-bang sophomore or three stepping up, or a whiz-bang (insert position here) stepping up, does this team really have any chance? Also, why do I still click on Bud Poliquin links? And speaking of the opera-man coiner of "whiz-bang" what's happened to my favorite writer- Dave Rahme?

Anyway, thanks to whiz-bang computer guy, golfer, and uberfan sutomcat for this regularly scheduled programming.
Who knows WHAT will happen in this burg, without some whiz-bang... We need some...and soon!

The Salt Badger has plenty of whiz-bang!
badger.jpg