For the Lawyers, or Those Who Want to Speculate | Syracusefan.com

For the Lawyers, or Those Who Want to Speculate

javadoc

All American
What is the worst that could happen to Penn State, both as a sports program and a university? What is likely? Which actors could bring which sorts of actions (private parties, state, feds, etc.)?

They should be demoted to D-1AA in football, forbidden to offer scholarships, and not be allowed to apply for D-1A again for 25 years (among other things).

What is the worst that could happen to Penn State, both as a sports program and a university? What is likely? Which actors could bring which sorts of actions (private parties, state, feds, etc.)?

They should be demoted to D-1AA in football, forbidden to offer scholarships, and not be al

The feds are now coming in to investigate. Once they are in the door, watch out.

The feds are now coming in to investigate. Once they are in the door, watch out.

PSU receives a ton of federal research grants. If they investigate and conclude that there was a lack of instituional control here the university could be barred from receiving federal grants/aid of any kind which would be absolutely crippling. I have a bad feeling the Commonwealth is going to have to establish a special fund just to deal with the civil suits by victims.

I still submit that when the internal report from 1998 surfaces, it will be Katy bar the door.

PSU probably will get sued by a lot of the victims. As a legal matter, there will be a question as to whether the university owed a "duty" to the victims. Don't shoot the messenger -- there are very few people in the world that you have a legal duty to protect. Ultimately, I think PSU would lose the "duty" question but it would never get that far -- rather than litigate, PSU will be paying out like a broken slot machine.

PSU probably will get sued by a lot of the victims. As a legal matter, there will be a question as to whether the university owed a "duty" to the victims. Don't shoot the messenger -- there are very few people in the world that you have a legal duty to protect. Ultimately, I think PSU would lose the "duty" question but it would never get that far -- rather than litigate, PSU will be paying out like a broken slot machine.

Would PSU have a duty to the victims that Sandusky brought to campus?

You're right about settling. The last thing PSU wants is deposition after deposition and full on discovery of how it handled those earlier incidents.

I would like them to vacate Paterno's record from the books, kinda like Barry Bonds. Oh, wait.

I would like them to vacate Paterno's record from the books, kinda like Barry Bonds. Oh, wait.
from twitterland
darrenrovellJust spoke to legal insider. Said liability in Penn State case is "easily $100 million."

from twitterland
darrenrovellJust spoke to legal insider. Said liability in Penn State case is "easily $100 million."

At least they have that BTN money.

They're lucky they have a 1.5B Endowment

Did you know if he coaches this Saturday he goes ahead of Stagg as having coached the most games?

from twitterland
More from Rovell:

Screen_shot_2011-10-16_at_7.30.19_PM_normal.png
@darrenrovelldarren rovell

Schools have insurance policies to cover lawsuits, but insurance can't be used if criminal activities were knowingly concealed.

I can't imagine how PSU is going to pay out $100+MM out of pocket.

I can't imagine how PSU is going to pay out $100+MM out of pocket.

Since it's a state university would the taxpayers of PA ultimately be the ones paying?

yes. The state is on the hook. That isn't a problem because the state is doing just great.

Is there any chance Sandusky's foundation could be found to be a criminal conspiracy to molest children, and Penn State becomes a co-conspirator through their actions?